PES 2008 Demo Impressions

I dont post here too often recently, but I've been here a while, longer than most. I came here for one reason and one reason only....Pro Evo and I think that shows what point of view I come from. But I think my post needs to be repeated for some...

whoever thinks this demo is better than the fifa demo is smoking some international class crack whilst wearing some super nintendo iss sun glasses. Let me pass on a ticket to your planet please.

That is all.

I've read most of the posts and I can't stop laughing at whoever thought the fifa08 demo played better, pes is still the better game, but what i hated is how easy its to score from headers.
And now we're all laughing back.

I have now played the Fifa08 demo on all 3 machines and if you are judging next-gen Fifa from the PC then don't, cos it isn't. You need to play either 360 or PS3, I prefer the 360 version as it feels a touch more responsive and the pad is better. Remember, Fifa is using analogue controls so the poor D-Pad on the 360 is irrelevant.

What you also have to do (and I think this is the tough one for all the PES players) is turn all the assists off. Passing, crossing, through balls and shooting can all be totally manual... you know, like real football. If you play like that then the game feels totally different.

If you play it with the assists on then the passing goes to the player which can slow the pace right down, the players have to collect the ball and then pick up momentum again. If you are playing on manual, you get used to passing in front of the player meaning your players pick the ball up at full speed, thus keeping their pace up. You also need to use the triggers and the right stick for extra control, receiving the ball with a trigger pressed has a different reaction to no triggers. Same with dribbling, the left trigger isn't just for tricks.

The thing about the Fifa engine is it relies on momentum and realistic direction changes. No more flicking through 180 degrees, you have to think about how you are running and change direction to keep up momentum. It's probably too hard because it is more like how we naturally move. Everyone has got too used to ice football where you can change direction and speed at will.

What I laughed at most in this thread was the comment from Larcos about the menus looking slick... I wouldn't use that as my placeholder artwork, I've seen XBLA games with better presentation. Konami's presentation skills are almost as bad as their commentary... almost.

I find it most funny that for years everyone has praised PES for being "realistic" and this year, when it has swung the other way, everyone suddenly prefers the arcadey gameplay.

I consider myself lucky that blind loyalty doesn't ruin my enjoyment of games. But after playing both demos, I can't find anything that would make me consider buying PES but I can find plenty to make me want to buy Fifa.

i have played now 20matches PES6 on x-boxlive and after this 10Matches of PES2008! I am alitle bee confused!

Ok the goods:
Good atmosphere (we can do this better with soundpatches)

The turning around with Player and ball (try it with Rony, unbelivable great! Shoots are also nice done(but not the 100% controll feeling)!!!

But;

this is next gen??? ok Gameplay is not Heaven but its a PES and its quality not what we are waiting for but its a PES game, Graphics in game are a joke, ok nice Faces but the running Animations??? it looks like the Players have loveballs in their Ass! oh my Goodness Konami....!

Tha Pitch looks like a carpet of green bullshit, same as the Stadium(ok its the Demo) but never ever Next Gen!!!

About gameplayspecials sometimes it feels like you are playing a Flipper or tabletennismatch, bam bum bim, the ball strikes sround collisions, players falling down ball goes everytime back to the one who started the collision or gets out of what you are waiting for! someone will say thats a unbelievable ballphysik but play PES6 FE that a good ballphysic!

It feels like more like a PS2 game better than PEs6 on the 360 but play We10Jcc and see what football can be!

I dont know really, i dont know if i love it or hate it! Ita because we wanted more??? is the great Game only in our Minds??? Or is Konami joking??

They want 69,99€ in Germany for this Game, money for xbox live and then this???

I hope the final version will be better but i dont believe it! only shoots have been improved and i i like how some players "explode" in running when they run alone to the goali!

what the Hell is this Game now???

Good , Bad?? somthing between great an bigshit???

I am Confused!

Hey People who Dont like Pes2008 or ''Think'' They don't Like it!

Pfff This is really making me laugh, This topic is the Pes2008 fanboys VS Fifa08 Fanboys 'Having a fight discussion' Thread

Just life with it,
People Do like pes2008 and then people are like 'Your joking right'? "Hey its his opinion! He likes it, That doesnt mean he's bad if you dont like it :/
:shock:

-Spooky has Spoken :lmao:

Actually, I was wrong, you can take defenders upfront on set pieces. That alone is a huge improvement (at least for me) which makes PES 2008 worth getting. :mrgreen:

Now if they could only slow the game down.

Also, that stuff about Fifa not looking real, that's bullshit. As much as I like PES, the new Fifa does indeed look more realistic. The graphics (though PES's faces and models are miles ahead) and animations are slightly better, and the fact that it's much slower makes it all the more realistic.

I have to say I've been impressed by Fifa this year, and I could easily understand if people prefered this one to our good old PES.

I'll stick to the latter one though, I'm so used to it after so many years that I just can't be bothered to start all over again with a new game.

first of all they have said that the demo that YOU have played is a old built which they played at Leipzig which was along time ago so i guess they are somebody's to get to test the game, and they also have played the FINAL build and say that it is much better than this, so i would think they know what there talking about and definetly know more than most people on this forum, if you prefer Fifa than thats your opinion on what football is more like but i would say that the best of the Pro Evo 2008 is yet to be seen ;)

I certainly hope so. I haven't touched a FIFA game in over 9 years (when I first discovered ISS Pro) but they seem to have swapped places this year. FIFA seems slower paced, more realistic and far harder to get goals. PES seems like the crazy kind of pinball football we've slagged FIFA off for years. As for those two guys...they did say that they have played a more recent version and that it was still too fast on the 360. They most certainly have not played the final version as they spent some time guessing whether or not the stupid keepers were going to be fixed. If they'd played the final version, they would know this.

Last edited:
im a big pes fan and guess what ? IM GUTTED !!
its way too fast , its way too easy, even on top player
the keepers are totally shocking !!! every shot is parried into the path of an attacking player for a tap in. gfx improved BUT NOT MUCH!! .Teamvision WHAT TEAMVISION the only TEAMVISION the cpu had was there keeper picking the ball out there net.... the cpu lost 4 goals to me all through balls 1 on 1 with keeper .. all in all pes 2008 is now an arcade game sob.
i hate fifa and ea because they always con u with big advertising and never improve fifa , same game different year sort of thing
WELL IM ABOUT TO SAY SOMETING I THOUGHT I WOULDNT (deep breath)
FIFA 08 IS BETTER THAN PES 2008 ON XBOX 360
i know they r both demos but i personally think that fifa 08 is better, why you ask heres why,
the pace feels more like football,i like the slow passing build up sometimes you have to go back to go forward sort of thing
shooting has totally improved i hated the shooting in other fifas
its hard to score , you have to work for your goals
i could go on but the wife is moaning for me to get off the comp
im sure there are many more people with the same views as me but people are intitled to an opinion

I dont think that you can judge the games by the demos alone, we all know that they are early versions of an unfinished game.

I am not disappointed at all with the PES2008 demo i think its excellent and thank Konami for the full match! I am disappointed with the FIFA 08 demo though, but then again i have not been a fan of FIFA since the Mega Drive days.

Like i said though i will give both the FULL games a try when they are released and judge them then!

It upsets me to see so many PES fans turning to FIFA - its like people turning from Football Manager to the abortion that was Championship Manager!

ITS PES2008 FOR ME SO FAR!

Cheers

Played the demo last night. Just wanna echo everyone else's thoughts.

I hate the speed of the game. I hate how fast the ball travels (like someone else said, 'its like rockets are attached to it'). I hate the running animations. I hate the AI, its terrible compared to Fifa 08. I hate how easy it is to score and I hate the keeper animations.

I won't be buying PES this year. First time in about 7 years

This is not the Point, but played fifa 08 demo, and Guys this is horrible, its to slow. it feels like its not a ready Game, it has no own Personylity! Fifa 07 on the old x-box was great, on 360 it feels shit!

but the point for us is PES2008, and its to fast, i dont know what konami means that football is and how fast you run from one side to the other!

in my oppinion Pes2008 and fifa 2008 are nit what they can be! it get more and more boring every Year!

Pes2008 has delivered what I was expecting from PES6, a port of the ps2 version with a bit of extra polish.

Next-Gen it most certainly is not!

Tried the FIFA demo too, first time i've tried a FIFA title in 9 years, not overly impressed but certainly thought it had a slight edge over PES, if a little too slow for my liking.

Reserve full judgement till the full releases but its not looking spectacular on either front. Its not that FIFA was paticularly good that it had the edge, just that PES felt(and looked) so tired and out-dated.

This is not the Point, but played fifa 08 demo, and Guys this is horrible, its to slow. it feels like its not a ready Game, it has no own Personylity! Fifa 07 on the old x-box was great, on 360 it feels shit!

but the point for us is PES2008, and its to fast, i dont know what konami means that football is and how fast you run from one side to the other!

in my oppinion Pes2008 and fifa 2008 are nit what they can be! it get more and more boring every Year!

to slow for a game? or do you think it isn't a relistic pace.

Personally I think Fifa 08's pace is nearly perfect with regards to matching real life. The fact is the player is the one who controls the pace.

As a PES fan since the ISS games on the SNES, I just found this one too arcadey and far too simplistic. I guess it still is a decent game with a decent engine but looking at it since the good ol' days of ISS pe2, PES1, PES4, Konami no longer innovate and revolutionise. As for FIFA, although there are problems with likenesses esp with faces and a few kits despite the thorough licencing, I find the gameplay inspiring. Yes the game can regress into a sloppy midfield battle but that should be the case and the fact that the tempo for a game can be altered significantly with counter attacks or a killer ball is also another good step forwards from EA.

I'm personally praying PES 2008 will be tweaked to accomodate all our criteria but then again....its Konami o_O

sorry mate but your talking shit! Fifa 08 is great

Its my opinion mate! It is not the first soccergame i try! If someone Prefers to Play Fifa08 Ok!we will see in the final release!

Fact is that Fifa is the game that has improved! PES stands on the same point for years, only detailwork!

Last edited:
well first impressions of pes 2008 i like it .... :)

+ the gameplay is a bit faster ( was a bit sluggish in pes6)
+ passing has been made harder in you cant just press A and it goes to a player
+ through ball have been made better
+ players link up a bit better
+ you can now ping shots from 25 yards if you want too ..(was a joke in pes6)
+ no super keepers ( some say they are crap but hey)
+ the com makes mistakes this time and also reacts to you if you dive they will i found this out first hand dives a cpl times never got away with them just to test it out next thing i know henry and co are putting on the flippers and mask :lmao:
+ the bit where you have to wait until the ref blows his whistle before you can take a freekick

over all i like it so far if the keep it for the final version i will be happy think its much better then last year.

o yea all of the above is IMO just to stop those moany ppl out there.

How can you say nothing has changed from pes6. Ofcourse it has changed, you must be blind. It actually plays better than pro 6 and it looks better than pro 6 (assuming your playing it hd).

PES2008 is shaping up to be the worst PES yet. It makes PES6 look good.

Ok so it's too fast, too arcadey and plays like a game of pinball. Ball physics are scrpited. The animations are well off the mark - players run like they're in the Benny Hill show. The graphics look just like polished PS2 visuals in HD. The pitch looks awful - not lifelike at all. The sound is boring. I've seen Megadrive games with better presentation.

The only positives are the faces are excellent and the nets are superb. But that's it!

FIFA 08 all the way this year. And that's from someone who's been playing PES/ISS for 10 years and not bought FIFA for 7 years.

How can you say nothing has changed from pes6. Ofcourse it has changed, you must be blind. It actually plays better than pro 6 and it looks better than pro 6 (assuming your playing it hd).

yes, they're blind. they all have a PES6/PS2/CRT tv hookup side-by-side to a PES2008 demo/XB360/HD tv hookup...and can't see the difference.

i must be the bionic man, because i can tell the difference when i watch bad quality flash videos of PES6/PS2 versus PES6/XBox360!

i feel that comparisons should be reserved to those who own PES6-XBox360 version.

After about 8 hours i finally got the demo and after 20 or so game's im getting used to the changes from PES 6 - I even scored a 30 yarder!

Yeah the FIFA demo has graphics a billion times better BUT the gameplay is too sluggish, everything seems to react a slight second too late. In my oppinion i think the player's move a tad slow, but with most FIFA games im sure there will be a speed up option.

I think both demo's have plus's both have minus's, but like most i will get both this year....

FIFA for the graphics, the kit's and team's, and better online support....
PES for the speed, the challenge and MASTER LEAGUE!

Let's all agree to disagree...

<b>BTW has anyone played the PS2 demo???

I found last year's FIFA way better to play on PS2 and PC...</b>

anyone and everyone who doesnt like the demo or thinks it can be better listen to this podcast....http://www.winningelevenblog.com/ it really explains alot and the full game is said to be a "HUGE HUGE Improvement on the demo you have" :)

For me it makes no sense at all to release demo if it's giving picture of the real game. I mean which would release demo which would give wrong picture of game. Surely it could have some tweaking, but if there is major change between demo&real game, then Konami really should think who are to blame to give bad picture of the game.

How customer should know that "yes demo is crappy, but the real game is good". Just trust it will be? Right. For me, it's about me testing what I want to buy. That's what's purpose to release demos.

Speed is killing this demo and another thing is that it's just about scoring goal or preventing other team to score goal. There is just 1% of middfield playing. So it really doesn't feel like football. It could be fun with some tweaks, but it would need major tweaking to feel like real football simulation. So far FIFA have been a lot closer to real football this year.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the feature whereby you can call up your centre backs for free kicks and corners? Just wondering if it works at all.

You can set in "set piece"-settings all something like that and "going up to" from there. Even before the game. It works and it's nice. Well at least works for corners. Haven't been getting enough free kicks which I would have crossed.

For those of you who wants to give Fifa 08 a try, you should really take the tips from other players! Cause if you learn how to play the game I think you will love it! I hated it when I tried it, but after taking up some tips and getting the hang of it, it truly feels like a next gen and a real football game. Its a demo and the pace and reaction time will be improved for the final release. Its not a football game you can just pick up and start running at goal over and over again and winning 3/4-0 each game! This is about team football and making the right call all the way from defence.
As for the PES 2008 demo on the 360, its what I expected. Its only a demo as well and will hopefully be improved on release. I think it will be a fun game to pick up and easy to play with mates who dont play that much. I love editing and that will come back to. But overall, Fifa 08 is in my mind a GREAT soccer game when you put your effort in it. I will be getting both games, but I belive Fifa 08 will be the one played the most. Cause in Fifa 08 it has made me jump up from my seat after scoring a great goal with great build-up and I have not had that experience since Pes 4 on the ps2. Fifa 08 feels new & next gen, but PES 2008 is still same old Pes and that will be fun for some time as it has been with Pes 5/6.. There is a reason why so many pes loving players are now saying that Fifa 08 is a fantastic game, and that reason should be looked at. Right?

Back
Top Bottom