PES 2008 Demo Impressions

Funny. I'm doing the exact opposite of you this year. Going from Pro Evo to FIFA.

I think we'll see a lot of that as they appear to have swapped target markets. Fifa have gone for the serious sim approach where PES have gone for the pick up and play arcade twitch fest.

In all brutal honesty, I think it's totally understandable why anyone would switch from Pro Evo to FIFA and why anyone would switch from FIFA to Pro Evo. (Please note, the following are generalisations, but you get the idea.)

If you've played Pro Evo for years and you're switching to FIFA, it's because of the fact you've done it all before. You won the ML (and the EPL and the Italian league and the African Cup Of Nations etc.) before the turn of the millennium; for fuck's sake Seabass, that's a long time. Why would you want to win the exact same things again just because this time you have a more accurate pass, or a better crossing system? This is what makes FIFA and Football Manager so great; if you get bored of being an English Premier League team, you can take control of a side you've never heard of in a league you have no experience in. It's like a totally new world. Stuff is tweaked on the pitch, nothing changes off it - and they are both important. People say about FIFA, "why have all those teams and crap gameplay" - well to that I say, why have great gameplay and the same leagues and competitions that have been in the game for a decade? Would you play the best football game in the world if it only had two teams? You might, and I salute you, but I wouldn't.

If you've played FIFA for years and you're switching to Pro Evo, you're sick of each player feeling like the same cumbersome robot, with the only difference being acceleration. You can't dribble like you want to, the controls are too stiff, and now that there's a new engine there's bugs and glitches that people will happily exploit. You've waited for real gameplay changes for years and now that they're here, they're not quite right because they're so new. A lot is still in need of rewriting, and to add insult to injury, stupid little things grate and grate (ridiculous transfer values, no English play-off system). And the CPU has reactions that your players can only dream of. Online is great but the cracks show through when people cross-head-cross-head-cross-head.

So if you've played one solidly for years, it's nice to play the other and see the things you want fixing, fixed. Even if it only lasts for a few days before you think "but this is useless without the stuff from the other game".

Last edited:
In all brutal honesty, I think it's totally understandable why anyone would switch from Pro Evo to FIFA and why anyone would switch from FIFA to Pro Evo. (Please note, the following are generalisations, but you get the idea.)

If you've played Pro Evo for years and you're switching to FIFA, it's because of the fact you've done it all before. You won the ML (and the EPL and the Italian league and the African Cup Of Nations etc.) before the turn of the millennium; for fuck's sake Seabass, that's a long time. Why would you want to win the exact same things again just because this time you have a more accurate pass, or a better crossing system? This is what makes FIFA and Football Manager so great; if you get bored of being an English Premier League team, you can take control of a side you've never heard of in a league you have no experience in. It's like a totally new world. Stuff is tweaked on the pitch, nothing changes off it - and they are both important. People say about FIFA, "why have all those teams and crap gameplay" - well to that I say, why have great gameplay and the same leagues and competitions that have been in the game for a decade? Would you play the best football game in the world if it only had two teams? You might, and I salute you, but I wouldn't.

If you've played FIFA for years and you're switching to Pro Evo, you're sick of each player feeling like the same cumbersome robot, with the only difference being acceleration. You can't dribble like you want to, the controls are too stiff, and now that there's a new engine there's bugs and glitches that people will happily exploit. You've waited for real gameplay changes for years and now that they're here, they're not quite right because they're so new. A lot is still in need of rewriting, and to add insult to injury, stupid little things grate and grate (ridiculous transfer values, no English play-off system). And the CPU has reactions that your players can only dream of. Online is great but the cracks show through when people cross-head-cross-head-cross-head.

So if you've played one solidly for years, it's nice to play the other and see the things you want fixed, even if it only lasts for a few days before you think "but this is useless without the stuff from the other game".

I salute you sir!!!!!! I will always be a pro player abpve and beyond, but there is no harm in going to the other side to check it out!!

As I've wrote in another thread the game isnt that bad ok...BUT ITS TOO FAST!

Everybody who ever played the PES Series since the SNES Times MUST SEE AND FEEL THAT!!! Fifa is also crap, to date its not possiblöe to change the camera angel on a diagonal view...EA is a MESS!!!

PES6 was not good ok but the PACE was fine and it was very realistic related to the passing and so on...

So if the pace could be slowd down in the 2008 Version it would be ok for me!

So long, Cheers!!!

So if you've played one solidly for years, it's nice to play the other and see the things you want fixing, fixed. Even if it only lasts for a few days before you think "but this is useless without the stuff from the other game".

Of course, given that FIFA was cack until this year, if you're doing anything other than sticking with what you know or going from PES to FIFA you're pretty much a madman anyway.

"What's that, PES is pretty much the same and FIFA's sorted the gameplay? Right, must abandon FIFA for PES this year".

As you might expect, I'm very much in the first category, and actually, it's got nothing to do with "what I've won", as I don't usually win anything ! In fact, I'm pretty crap at it and don't play often enough to worry about it.

But It's got everything to do with the fact FIFA is actually playable this time, a little slow but not really flawed - so now it's actually worth them having all the right looking licenses, leagues and features to back it up. Looking pretty wasn't enough before, but now FIFA's got looks and playability (if you ignore the monkey-men, who nevertheless have better-looking shirt and shorts modelling). People want to see PES improve like FIFA has, not stand still or go backwards, and they'd better start soon cos there's competition now.

I don't get wh EA can make progress each year yet Konami can't seem to now. The PES2008 demo seems to be PES2 with better graphics and 10x the speed! In fact I enjoyed PES2 more. Very disappointed with the demo. How on earth is that speed remotely realistic and the sound of that ball makes you want to turn off all SFX which will mess the atmosphere up. It's like another company made the game and screwed it up for us. I'm just hoping the PS2 version is more like last year but with some improvements. This 360 version is a joke.

HAS ANYONE AT KONAMI EVER WATCH A FOOTABALL match?

THERE'S ALOT OF GOOD STUFF IN PES 2008, but over all I am disappointed - the players don't react like pro footballers.

1) defending - your players see an apponent coming and they run away leaving acres of space, it's hard work getting your players into position.

2) attacking - Instead of running into space when you have the ball they stand there like lemons or stand 2 feet away from you.

3) attacking - one cross in a 100 actually gets to one of my players in the box. I make a dash up the wing ready to cross into the penalty area - who's there - no one they are all standing out on the wings or offside
on the goal line.

4) defending if you manage to take an apponent 9 times out of ten it just rebounds back to them.

5) game too fast.

i really want to like it but it's hard work - PES 5 is the best so far.

may be i'm being a bit harsh as it's only the demo - don't think i will be buying the game - might upgrade PES 5 with patches.

THERE'S ALOT OF GOOD STUFF IN PES 2008, but over all I am disappointed - the players don't react like pro footballers.

1) defending - your players see an apponent coming and they run away leaving acres of space, it's hard work getting your players into position.

2) attacking - Instead of running into space when you have the ball they stand there like lemons or stand 2 feet away from you.

3) attacking - one cross in a 100 actually gets to one of my players in the box. I make a dash up the wing ready to cross into the penalty area - who's there - no one they are all standing out on the wings or offside
on the goal line.

4) defending if you manage to take an apponent 9 times out of ten it just rebounds back to them.

5) game too fast.

may be i'm being a bit harsh as it's only the demo - don't think i will be buying the game - might upgrade PES 5 with patches.

If it wasn't for number 5, you could take out Konami in the first sentence and add EA. This kind of garbage happens in FIFA all the time. I could be playing as Man U. against a second division opponent and it wouldn't matter.

PES 2008 IS ALL FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS - IN OTHER WORDS...IT'S ALL GLAMOUR AND NO SUBSTANCE. GAME PLAY IS CRAP, THE GAME CHEATS FROM BEGINNING TO END, YOU MAY AS WELL NOT HAVE A GAMEPAD, PES HAS LOSTS THAT REALISTIC FEELING WHEN YOU PLAY - IT'S MORE LIKE AN ARCHADE GAME, DOESN'T FEEL LIKE FOOTBALL - PES 5 WAS THE BEST! AND I WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY THAT.

capslock.jpg

Ok I downloaded the demo today and I have to say that I love it!
I didn't play PES6 for the 360 as it was garbage anyway so I was used to the PS2 version but I had a lot of fun with the demo.

Pros:
- A pretty good improvement in the graphics.
- Player faces look amazing,so do the player models, and animations
- Everything looks very sharp and high-def, the crowds during replays and cutscenes look good too.
- The goalkeeps are superb and make some fantastic saves.
- The CPU AI is great, it's been improved a lot and I'm very happy with it.
- The game loads very fast and there's no black screens iinterrupting the gameplay.
- I love the gameplay (except for the gamespeed but Ill talk about that later), the gameplay does feel different from the past PES for me.
- It just seems like I have more control and freedom over my players and team compared to previous PES, it's more manual controlling and less scripted stuff.
- It also feels like I have more control over shooting, it just feels better and more balanced.
- Passing and Through passing is also really great.
Overall it has the best gameplay so far.

Cons:
- Pitch doesn't really look great, but maybe it's just the stadium chosen for the demo tha has a bad pitch,
- The speed that the players move is a little too fast so sometimes the games get too fast paced, if they made it a little bit slower it would've been great. But I already got used to it and it's not a big issue, I like passing the ball around a lot and I don't do much solo dribble runs so it's fime for me.
I also heard that the game speed in the final game got a little slower so maybe I won't have this problem in the final version.
- Long balls and the LB+Y pass makes the ball go fly too fast and doesn't go so high, but it's not a big issue.
- There were sometimes that the game slowsdown during the demo and there were some colision issues too but I'm sure this will be fixed in the final version.
- I wish Konami could bring back the body game/phsycal contact from Winning Eleven 9, but it's fine as it is.
- The Presentation is new which I like but it's clearly not well designed and most next-gen games have a better presentation.

Pros outdo the bad by a long way so I don't care about those issues.
Anyways in my opinion PES 2008 is the best football/soccer game ever created with fantastic gameplay and great graphics, even if those issues aren't fixed in the final version I will still buy and love the game, I can't wait to play with all the teams, use the Edit mode, and play Leagues and Cups.

By the way, the reviews are coming in IGN gave a 10 on gameplay and 9.2 overall. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/828/828666p2.html
I haven't downloaded the FIfa 08 demo yet, I'll download it later today but I'm probably not going to like because it has the same basic gameplay from Fifa 07 which I didn't like the gameplay.
Fifa just ca't get the gameplay right, it's just not much fun compared to PES.

Last edited:
I haven't downloaded the FIfa 08 demo yet, I'll download it later today but I'm probably not going to like because it has the same basic gameplay from Fifa 07 which I didn't like the gameplay.
Fifa just ca't get the gameplay right, it's just not much fun compared to PES.

Okay. Fanboy.

fanboy my arse, he talks sense, i bought fifa 08 because of people saying how good it is, it was awful, no difference between players, stats dont mean jack in fifa, pro evo has it spot on with most players and you can feel the difference, you could play rio up front on fifa and hed score, not so on pro evo, people like you are the ones who slate it every year before it comes out, then go and buy it anyway and do the same the following year

on the goal line.

5) game too fast.

check you're not playing 07 ? it's just the same problems..

Last edited:
PES 2008 IS ALL FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS - IN OTHER WORDS...IT'S ALL GLAMOUR AND NO SUBSTANCE. GAME PLAY IS CRAP, THE GAME CHEATS FROM BEGINNING TO END, YOU MAY AS WELL NOT HAVE A GAMEPAD, PES HAS LOSTS THAT REALISTIC FEELING WHEN YOU PLAY - IT'S MORE LIKE AN ARCHADE GAME, DOESN'T FEEL LIKE FOOTBALL - PES 5 WAS THE BEST! AND I WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY THAT.

It's no good if you explain them, just say it's all glamour and no substance!

fanboy my arse, he talks sense, i bought fifa 08 because of people saying how good it is, it was awful, no difference between players, stats dont mean jack in fifa, pro evo has it spot on with most players and you can feel the difference, you could play rio up front on fifa and hed score, not so on pro evo, people like you are the ones who slate it every year before it comes out, then go and buy it anyway and do the same the following year

Other than the enormous thread on the Forum about how bad PES stats are for hundreds of players in the database, and the fact that you're overlooking that in FIFA players' skills ARE affected by their ratings, you might have had a point there.

By the way, Rio scored for Man U on the weekend, does that mean real life isn't as realistic as PES ? :-D

I bought FIFA this year having slated it for getting on for 10 years, and they've basically copied ISSPE2 on PSX, except with much better graphics and far more in the way of controllable skill moves. Given that it was the slow but considered ISS gameplay that got me into PES back in' 99 in the first place, I don't think that's a bad thing.

In addition to that, now FIFA has a good, playable game engine, the rest of the game craps all over PES, so even if PES plays SLIGHTLY better, there will still be hordes of people jumping across for all the other features FIFA has now it's at the very least a competent challenger. With all the junk that needs doing to PES, and the fact I just can't be bothered to keep making those same changes year after year (and I did all the English Transfers for one of Kezz's Pro-Evo OFs a few years back), at the moment I'm one of them.

Last edited:

one thing not liking FIFA, fair enough but can you honestly say PES2008 is the next gen game we have been waiting for? Is it fuck its PES 6.5 if youre lucky.
Unfortunately the game peaked years ago, Seabass should be sacked, they need developers who can ACTUALLY DEVELOP a game, its the same shit and I'm bored of it. How anyone can say that 2008 has next gen graphics is beyond me when you look at what 2k sports and EA have put out in the last 12 months never mind the last 3 months. Sure graphics are second to gameplay, but ffs they are high-res ps2 models. Dont even get me started on netcode.

Back
Top Bottom