PES 2008 Demo Impressions

won my 1st game 2-0 2nd won 1-0 3rd game won 3-0

the game is easy compared to fifa but is soooo much fun im loving it :) and cant wait to buy the full game

although

SIMULATION > FIFA 08
Hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah, simulation Fifa :-))))))))))))))
thank u, havent had such good laugh for long time

One thing is really needed to be done, Konami if u read this, please make that game slower, just a litle 10-20 % ? I dont know , but little slower please, Free kicks are very easy, shots are very easy.

No need to answer the players Skating Q? I've just seen a post of 2 goals on the bottom of Page2 of this post. And the French player running up the wing Skates on 1 foot a couple of times in the run.

I watch last years E3 and they had the NEW motion capture on show, a demo of a basketball player split screen. On one side of the screen on a PS2 "old motion capture" basketball player and on the other a PS3 Basketball player with the New motion capture. They made a big thing about it as it would take sports game to a new level of realism as players would no longer Skate but lift and plant there feet as they turned 360 and not as with the Old Motion Capture you could see side by side with the new one, the player turning in parts "8 directon" and not only that the PS2 players feet were on the ground at all times and you could see the Skating. But with the New MC with the PS3 player turn 360 turns and the player lifting and planting his feet on the ground.

This was E3 of 2006 and yet here we have Konami's Next Gen game, but alas its base is still the old PS2 eninge and no 360 turns or lifting of feet as I seen on that goal video players stil Stake on one foot.

I've not seen them but I would guess that the Next Gen Basketball games have this Next Gen movement and New Motion capature.

Its a crying shame that the so called Next Gen of PES is still tied to the old PES game engine.

I will now doubt have people telling me that its a good thing because the PS2 gameplay is solid, yes it is, but you are not telling me in this day and age that they can't put together a solid game with a New engine.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPDu43rHVaY

I've read most of the posts and I can't stop laughing at whoever thought the fifa08 demo played better, pes is still the better game, but what i hated is how easy its to score from headers.

I think the speed ruins it. If they'd released last years game fixing only the slowdown and the shooting, I'd be more than happy. As it is, it's like some super fast twitchy arcade football game. Pro Evolution has always been the true football game for me. It had the pace just right and rewarded you for keeping the ball. With the latest releases though, it seems as if FIFA and PES have swapped places. FIFA now seems the more realistic simulation of football. PES seems like the pick up and play, pinball football option.

For the first time in around 10 years....I've preordered FIFA.

It's okay not anything special, I can see it'll be be good fun especially with mates but there's something not right about the whole feel about it. I mean the pace and the feel of the ball feels dodgy.
Also the auto sidestep feels out of place.

Last edited:
I am really dissapointed with the collision detection. People are saying it will be fixed in the full game, but for god sake, the game is out in a few weeks, why would they leave it till the last minute to fix something. It shouldn't be there, Demo or not, they've been working on this game for 2 years and it's poor at best, considering the time frame and the fact that this is next gen.

I'm still in shock at the horrendous running animations.

I am really dissapointed with the collision detection. People are saying it will be fixed in the full game, but for god sake, the game is out in a few weeks, why would they leave it till the last minute to fix something. It shouldn't be there, Demo or not, they've been working on this game for 2 years and it's poor at best, considering the time frame and the fact that this is next gen.

I'm still in shock at the horrendous running animations.

its not that Konami have left if to the end, its the fact the build you played is very old and was even called awful at the time, but the final build which has been played by winning eleven blog guys says it a totally different game so thats why wait for the full release

Assuming the game is a huge improvement over this demo, its gonna put the fanboys who STILL laud it as good in an awkward position isn't it :/

'Ughm.. It was perfect, now its UBER PERFECT!'

I also think the game is definitely too fast. It feels like playing WE 10. Hopefully they'll slow it down by the time it's released, just like they did with PES 6. I hope so.

Another disappointment is that you still can't take defenders upfront for corner kicks. WHAT THE HELL? It's a pain to have to make a special formation just for corner kicks.

the camera on the demo is a lot closer, this is why it feels faster than PES6, i personally quite like it only had 3 games tho, seems much better than the 360 version of pes6.

So here's my demo review, I'll mention the new if not exciting new little things around the actual pitch action too for those interested. You can play one full 5 min game in the demo, and play against instantly without leaving. Teams available are Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Spain, France and Turkey. The kit selection screen now shows two rotating player statues, however you're still limited to the four home/away kit combinations. Selectable skill levels are the same. Music is now played in EA tracks style, showing a little popup when the next track starts.

In the pre-game menu, the only thing I think is new is auto formation change as in-game tactic, no new skill values. Camera zoom and angle cannot be changed in the demo. In screen options, you can alter each RGB value seperately. The in-game pause menu has a little window in the upper right, showing either the bench or the stadium. Replay span seems slightly longer, and there are some new fixed camera angles (sideline etc.) to choose from.

The graphics are pretty good, although only a small step up from the PES6 360 version. The player faces are easily recognisable, shirts, pants and hair moves slightly. Players have a properly animated shadow which looks fine, but also a fuzzy circular shadow which doesn't really look realistic. The crowd is well animated as in PES6 360, however it still suffers from the problem that the animation cycle for all equal crowd player models run at the same time, which makes it look more artifical than needed. The stadium feel is pretty much the same, some flags, camera shows some supporters on the half-time menu, but that's about it.

For the sound, you hear some twacking noises when players collide, and the manager shouting every now and then. It sounds ok but could be improved for sure. The crowd noise is pretty much the same, some whistling and booing. In some game I didn't notice any major changes when approaching the goal or scoring, it was more of a noise floor, in other games the supporters reacted well to the action on the pitch.

In the game, the first impression is that the ball feels definitely more solid, better than PES6. The game feels notably slower, and just passing a dozen times for an easy tap-in is no more, as defending with the regular tackle button is finally useful again. Also, the physical aspect comes across much better, players feel solid, and you can't just run through well positioned players like melted butter. Approaching passes with the receiving player is better too, you feel less tacked to the ground just waiting to receive the pass and knock it on. To make up for the less powerful passing, regular long balls are finally a good option, they're quick and low but not always precise, which gives it a realistic feel.

Dribbling is alright, and as it's harder to go past a defender, so it feels good to pull off a move and go past him. The balance between running strikers and defenders seems fine to me, a fast defender can slowly catch up. You'll see players falling to the ground when losing balance eg. in a running duel, a nice touch outlining the physical aspects again. 1-2s are working well but don't feel too powerful, just like regular and chipped through passes. The L1 (or LT) lob is easier to pull off now. The dive thing is alright and doesn't make the game better or worse, it's just a gimmick to use every now and then like the roulette or the rabona were. Shot feints on 1on1 situations do not work well, you'll have to work harder beating the goalie this time. Speaking of which, the goalies do a good job, I didn't see any terrible mistakes or just silly positioning. Animations are good and fluid for the most part, spectacular saves look great. It seems like there are less predictable rebounds as well.

Technically, the controls are much more responsive this time around, not as good as the Dualshock, but an acceptable alternative unlike last year. The blue ball in the demo is a terrible choice in my opinion, but I suppose there will be enough regular balls in the final game. It's overall a bit choppy, there are slowdowns, and the good old whistle break bug is back, which must by all means be fixed for the retail version.

I didn't expect anything from this version, especially not this to be the great next-gen version we all dreamed of one or two years ago. I feared it would be more of PES6, which was a woeful unbalanced game in my opinion. The things that annoyed me most seem to have been fixed, allowing for a more creative and rewarding gameplay which is not all about passing, running and offense. To me it's not all new, but more balanced version of the same game, putting it a good step ahead of PES6.

Last edited:
Has anybody seen shirt pulling in demo ?
How can I do that Drogba trick ?
Your answers are more than welcome

Yea I noticed shirt pulling when I gave away a penalty to Henry. I was one on one with him and pressed the direction to where the ball was and nothing else then Henry fell over, the replay showed my player was pulling his shirt.
I didn't press any other button.

These forums are full of knobs TBH!

If you notice the majority of posters saying PES2008 is crap have said that Fifa is better or that they're going to 'stick' or 'go back' to Fifa. In my opinion that sort of statement is an instant loss of credibility. The Fifa demo is useless as the game has been for the last 10-11 years. The last decent ones had the likes of David Genola on the front and were, at best, decent. You would have to go back to the Super-nes and isometric views to find a Fifa game worth any sane persons time! Fifa equals slow and boring gameplay without control befitting for casual gamers who play it on medium difficulty and win 5-10 nil and those who have tried Pro and are quick to write it off due to their own frustrations at being shit at it! Fifa is a waste of space and sells on name and brand alone!

Anyway as for the demo of Pro- i am quite impressed.

Pros- slick game-play, save replays, zoom camera option in replays, new animations, improved stats, better tactics i.e sending defenders/ goalkeepers up for corners, dribbling(some nice little touches and nutmegs etc), fast free-kicks, easier to switch sides. harder to score one-on-one-( harder to feint round the keeper)

Cons- empty midfield, 5 difficulty settings (?> too easy!), Fernando Torres stats, yet to hear the commentary, less swerve on the balls, still easy to score by squaring the ball along the box(keeper gets sucked towards the ball) Not hard enough! Presentation.

Still unsure- facial resemblances, crowd, crowd noise after scoring, commentary,keepers, ball sound when saved, stats, missing players -(e.g. joaquin> Spain, Brazils starting line-up??)

Overall 8/10- Cant wait to get the retail version and get online and a master league up and running!

Thanks redman and Ike good reviews. I've had the game demo for the whole of today. I agree on a few points the game is too fast and simply too easy on Top player. Also is it me or are the keepers really bad? on a couple of occasions my keeper has ran into the back of a defender and fallen over.. I'm sure all of these concerns will be ironed out.

I hope Konami are reading all these reviews. I think it's definitely an improvement on PES6 without a doubt even in it's early stages of a demo... visually it is great and seems to be slicker albeit a little bit too fast.

Fifa judging by the demo appears to be crap... but I'll buy the game and test it before giving a final verdict. Pro Evo is the original and best football sim on any console.

If you notice the majority of posters saying PES2008 is crap have said that Fifa is better or that they're going to 'stick' or 'go back' to Fifa. In my opinion that sort of statement is an instant loss of credibility. The Fifa demo is useless as the game has been for the last 10-11 years. The last decent ones had the likes of David Genola on the front and were, at best, decent. You would have to go back to the Super-nes and isometric views to find a Fifa game worth any sane persons time! Fifa equals slow and boring gameplay without control befitting for casual gamers who play it on medium difficulty and win 5-10 nil and those who have tried Pro and are quick to write it off due to their own frustrations at being shit at it! Fifa is a waste of space and sells on name and brand alone!

Pros- slick game-play, save replays, zoom camera option in replays, new animations, improved stats, better tactics i.e sending defenders/ goalkeepers up for corners, dribbling(some nice little touches and nutmegs etc), fast free-kicks, easier to switch sides. harder to score one-on-one-( harder to feint round the keeper)

Cons- empty midfield, 5 difficulty settings (?> too easy!), Fernando Torres stats, yet to hear the commentary, less swerve on the balls, still easy to score by squaring the ball along the box(keeper gets sucked towards the ball) Not hard enough! Presentation.

Still unsure- facial resemblances, crowd, crowd noise after scoring, commentary,keepers, ball sound when saved, stats, missing players -(e.g. joaquin> Spain, Brazils starting line-up??)

Overall 8/10- Cant wait to get the retail version and get online and a master league up and running!

Quite the contrary. I have played PES to death, ergo I know what will hapen, and I will win the CPU everytime, unless its scripts decide Im not allowed...

Get with the times, you say FIFA sells on brand name, yet most of the people in the bloody forum play pes and support it because of its name. The gameplay is a joke. Jesus Christ our saviour, what is the world coming to.

anyone and everyone who doesnt like the demo or thinks it can be better listen to this podcast....http://www.winningelevenblog.com/ it really explains alot and the full game is said to be a "HUGE HUGE Improvement on the demo you have" :)

Can't say I heard that. All I heard them talking about was insignificant stuff like whether Ronaldo would have long sleeved shirts in the final versions. If anyone thinks, there will be wholesale gameplay changes prior to release they are very very wrong. The final weeks before release is spent tweaking minor details (like Ronaldo's sleeves), not attempting to get the gameplay nailed. They cannot improve the game enough in the time they have left.

Actually.....who are these guys??? They're just some random blokes talking shite about PES. The grass below the ball is apparently sharper than the grass above the ball as the 360 is struggling to render the grass above tha ball??!!! Absolute nonsense. They then go on to guess that the keepers will be fixed in the final version based on the fact that seabass said they were desperately trying to fix something.

I am at a loss for words for those of you who think FIFA 08 is better than PES 2008 - even PES 6 (in gameplay terms) is miles ahead of FIFA 08!

In FIFA, the gameplay is sluggish, the passing terrible, the animations poor, the through pass never works and overall just not much fun to play! Ok, so it's better than previous versions but that isn't say much!

I think the bit I highlighted is more PES, having scored an average of 2 goals a game in 13 matches on the hardest difficulty and only 4 goals in well over 40 halves on FIFA set at the middle difficulty, I think you are confused and your rather poor attempt at justification for a bad PES Demo is a tad laughable.

I have played football games since the days of Intelevision in the mid eighties all the ISS and PES games and this is by far the second worst football game I have played (PES6 being the worst) I am not a fanboy nor bias, I just know a good game when one arrives and PES2008 is most certainly not if the demo is anything to go by.

There are aspects I like (nets and faces) but its so arcade and stuck in a time warp its just silly.

Pro's

Nets
Faces
Response
PIP

Con's

Super fast gameplay
Billiard table football pitches
Heavy ball physics
too easy to score
Keeper AI
Graphics and sound generally

About a 6/10 for me.

Actually.....who are these guys??? They're just some random blokes talking shite about PES. The grass below the ball is apparently sharper than the grass above the ball as the 360 is struggling to render the grass above tha ball??!!! Absolute nonsense. They then go on to guess that the keepers will be fixed in the final version based on the fact that seabass said they were desperately trying to fix something.

first of all they have said that the demo that YOU have played is a old built which they played at Leipzig which was along time ago so i guess they are somebody's to get to test the game, and they also have played the FINAL build and say that it is much better than this, so i would think they know what there talking about and definetly know more than most people on this forum, if you prefer Fifa than thats your opinion on what football is more like but i would say that the best of the Pro Evo 2008 is yet to be seen ;)

I am at a loss for words for those of you who think FIFA 08 is better than PES 2008 - even PES 6 (in gameplay terms) is miles ahead of FIFA 08!

It is...? Funny, I come to believe that its actually the first game where you can't always use 4 passes to get to a shooting position.. ever?

In FIFA, the gameplay is sluggish, the passing terrible, the animations poor, the through pass never works and overall just not much fun to play! Ok, so it's better than previous versions but that isn't say much!

The gameplay is a tad slow at most, its a much more realistic speed than the adrenaline enhanced Pro Evo 2008. If you actually watched football, a lot of football is played at a slow, laid back pace which neither game has nailed, but FIFA is closer to getting a realistic speed.

The passing is.. absolutely fine, what you upset that you can't just pass forward and it will go straight to your attacker, the fact that you have to pick your passes? The fact that sometimes you'll actually have played yourself into a bad position and have to, dare I say it, pass BACKWARDS!?!?!?

WHAT animations are poor? Almost all the animations are really good, except the volleying, but if you want to go on that ludicrous attempt, have you actually looked at Pro Evo? The animations are APPALLING on Pro Evo :/

As for the throughball, the AUTOMATIC through ball doesn't work great, similar to Pro Evos.. but Pro Evo's defending AI is terrible so it doesn't matter so much (as if interception ACTUALLY happens in football :roll:...)

The manual through ball works perfectly, unlike Pro Evo's which is extremely hard to aim because of how its done with the controller.

and overall YOU JUST DON'T LIKE IT MUCH. Your opinion.

FIFA more closely mimics real football than any other game to date, it has some glaring faults/bugs, but nothing which stops it from being better than PES2008. I bought PES6 last year.. but PES2008 is far too quick, and is essentially a step backwards in most areas for me. Its also far too easy, I can beat the hardest difficulty already...

The delusion in this thread is absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom