PES 2008 Demo Impressions

Everytime a PES demo is released we have this debate. People say they don't like this or that and everyone says "it's only a demo, it'll be fixed in the full version". Full version comes along and it's exactly the same.
Anyone who is expecting wholesale changes in a couple of months is deluding themselves.

Jore2 on one hand you are correct, FIFA is different on Xbox 360 than it is on PC/PS2 - it's worse.

Now you was quick to jump all over my post just to neighsay - so now I am going to ask you to elaborate on your comments....would you please tell me how FIFA is so wildly different this year than in previous years ?? Because to me it looks and feels exactly the same.

I'll answer this one.

Next-gen FIFA 08 has a completely new game engine developed for the PS3/360. EA used FIFA 07 as a test bed for it and now it is more like the finished article. To say 08 is the same as all the other FIFAs is foolish. The ball physics are now excellent, and in my opinion better than PES. The tempo of the game is alot slower, lending itself to a more realistic experience and you can play the game with more freedom due to the manual control system that gives you the option to play the ball how and where you want.

In comparison PES is an arcadey experience that is too fast, with on-rails passing and too much scripting. The continued use of a last-gen game engine makes it look and feel like a HD PS2 game.

Whereas PES used to be considered a simulation and FIFA an arcade game, the roles have now reversed. FIFA 08 is the game for the real football fan whereas PES more and more seems to be appealing to the casual gamer.

Im actually happy with the demo. I hated pes6 for 360, I have had every version of ISS/PES/WE since the snes days and the only version I gave up on was PES6. I have since been playing fifa 07 and more recently champs league. The EA games are getting boring for me now though as the same bugs on all the games since world cup. Always crashing after subs ect and not giving me acheivements ect. After playing both demos, I found Pes2008 quite refreshing and fast paced, and I think it will be more fun online although fifa is prob better 1 player. I may get both, but will wait until end of OCT to decide. I hate the shooting on PES and the goalkeepers, but I love the pace and dribbling.

Another disappointment is that you still can't take defenders upfront for corner kicks. WHAT THE HELL? It's a pain to have to make a special formation just for corner kicks.

Haven't read the thread to see if anyone has picked up on this, but all you need to do is go to 'Setplay settings' and 'Player to go up' (great grammar as always from our Japanese friends), and then select the defenders you want to go up for corners.

Perhaps i've been tooting too much smack, but I love it. The pace of the game is spot on, the colours are bright and vivid, dribbling with Ronaldo or Ronaldinho is a lovely experience. You can BANG the ball again without it having to be a first time shot.

The passing is more difficult, you really need to seek out the position of your team mate before passing otherwise it will be intercepted, whilst the long pass feels useful again. Tackling seems trickier in that holding down two buttons is no longer enough... with the players and the ball feeling solid.

I also like the way all the players feel unique with the likes of Torres and Tevez having the ability to tear apart the centre backs with power and pace not to be caught again. I can't wait for the full version and playing the game 2 on 2 with friends.

I've played the Fifa demo and it's just not for me, it just feels all wrong. I can't get that feeling of satisfaction seeing the ball hit the back of the net that I do with evo.

Last edited:
Its much better then fifa , but I hope there will be some changes in the full version. The goalkeepers sux :S

Pes<3

I cannot understand the guys that didnt like it..
It isnt a matter of taste...
ITS THE BEST PRO EVOLUTION EVER:l2:+:r1:+:l1::D
KONAMI:applause::applause:

I think it's great, and hell, I've only been playing the series for about 8 years... people are just moaning for the sake of it.

It's a lot more varied than PES6 and the only problem I can see is the speed up-slowdown flaw in the replays which will be sorted in the release. The replays themselves are longer and awesome, there are loads more animations, players look brilliant, gameplay is as good as ever, there's generally more variety in playing styles, Cristiano Ronaldo has been motion captured and looks fantastic (including a cut-scene for his free-kick) and the AI is far more realistic.

Best bit so far was when C. Ronaldo went off to the corner flag in injury time when I was losing by 1 to the PC.

I'm still waiting to see what the edit mode will have for us, but having also played the FIFA 08 Demo and utterly hated it, I just can't wait for PES2008.

Really, stop bloody moaning for the sake of it.

i have to admit am a fifa fanatic but lately im crossin over to pro evo, im very dissapointed with the new fifa, even tho its the best one they have ever made, each player on here doesnt feel individualized, they all feel the bloody same, am sik of it, im takin back my copy of fifa 08 to the store i bought it off, after seeing pro evo at my mates place and seeing how each player has there own individual strengths and weaknesses, which obviously stand out, and also seeing the demo of pro evo 2008 on youtube i cant F*&King wait, iv now realized fifa is nowhere near the heights of pro evo, i suppose its like driving a ferrari(prov evo) and then hoping into a ford falcon(fifa 08)

Last edited:
I was very impressed with the demo, I have to say. The blue ball is a bit rubbish, don't know why they couldn't have used a plain white one, but other than that I think it's quite a generous demo, with 6 teams and full (albeit 5min) matches.

I have no sympathy with anyone who claims it's the same as PES6. Cosmetically, you can certainly point to similarities but overall this is a much more refined beast with a lot of wrinkles ironed out.

I was bitterly disappointed with the 360 version of PES6, particularly as the PS2 version was still really good. For me, the greatest flaws in 360 PES6 were the erratic shooting (something you don't expect from PES), the plastic looking players and a raft of small niggles, such as no edit mode, the fact defenders always catch you on the cut back, some awful player faces etc etc etc. Suffice to say, it went back to GAME after 2 days. Not an awful game, but by the standards previously set by Konami, substandard.

The passing and movement in 2008 has clearly been developed well. The whole style of player movement feels much more akin to the legendary PS2 counterpart versions. You feel confident in this game that players are moving into the space you provide. One thing I quickly picked up on is that using L1 + pass actually makes players run into space, a feature that was clearly under-developed in last year's effort. It's nice to see faster players actually being able to peel away from slower defenders. In one game I played as Argentina, my Ayala was left in the dust by Cristiano Ronaldo, and was thus powerless to watch him launch one past my hapless keeper. Frustrating on an immediate level, satisfying on a much wider one.

It's not all peaches and cream. The music is the most rancid I've ever heard in a PES game, which based on previous versions really is saying something. A couple of running animations look a bit wooden, but they always have in this series. The camera on replays, and occasionally in-game, feels a little twitchy. This might be fixed for the final build, but who knows?

For me, the 360 pad is just not made for Pro Evo. The Dpad is too imprecise, hence why I've pre-ordered the PS3 version. God love the dualshock.

The bottom line for me is thus:

If you accept that Pro Evo as a series has flaws, and always has had flaws (shit music, rubbish commentary, occasional dodgy ref decisions, inexplicable albeit rare goalkeeping mishaps), but you have an overall affinity for the game that is such you are able to overlook these and love it, warts and all, then you're going to like PES 2008.

Far from a perfect football game, but if you're honest, it's never been a perfect series. The good stuff is done so well that you'll allow a few eccentricities, that is if you've been able to in the past :p

My two cents...

Last edited:
I can win by several goals against the computer on the hardest level....every game. It's too easy, it's too fast, it's pinball football. Pass pass shoot. Pass pass goal. Repeat until full time. I don't care about correct boots, balls, licenses or player likenesses. I only really care about gameplay. And with respect to that, this is the worst PES yet imo. Bitterly disappointed as I've bought every one since ISS Pro came out on the playstation. Read the Eurogamer review of FIFA. It's a bit hard to believe that the games have essentially swapped places but the fact is, if you want a football sim, get FIFA.

Last edited:
i love fifa, but refuse to give up on pro evo...it's all iv'e known

i kind of enjoy the pro evo demo but it does have some serious issues i.e speed, goalkeepers, that i hope are sorted out before it's release

for the time being fifa 08 is the daddy until konami prove me wrong, but unfortunetly i won't hold my breath

I can win by several goals against the computer on the hardest level....every game. It's too easy, it's too fast, it's pinball football. Pass pass shoot. Pass pass goal. Repeat until full time. I don't care about correct boots, balls, licenses or player likenesses. I only really care about gameplay. And with respect to that, this is the worst PES yet imo. Bitterly disappointed as I've bought every one since ISS Pro came out on the playstation. Read the Eurogamer review of FIFA. It's a bit hard to believe that the games have essentially swapped places but the fact is, if you want a football sim, get FIFA.
And this from a member who's been here for FIVE AND A HALF YEARS. I'd watch out, you'll be getting an email from the Seabass Brigade...

Couldn't of put it better myself.

Pes 2008 isn't a game, its merchandise.

one thing i did notice with fifa 08, and this is one of the most unrealistics aspects of this game is the defence, all the teams, even teams like derby have a defence like the italian national team, yeah id say yeah very very realistic, typical still cant get the game right

I'd rather that than every team including Italy having a defence like a girls under 14 team. There are differences between the defences in FIFA, it's just a tough game to pick up and play. I really struggled to create anything the first few times I played which was a bit of a shock. But I think this was partly me being used to PES for the past 8-9 years. Last night I was playing a world cup in FIFA and things started to click. I got used to using the right stick to control first touch and for running clear when in behind the defender. I got a fair bit of joy against the poorer teams, particularly down the wings and managed to score a few goals. Italy on the other hand, consistently kept clean sheets against me.

Is there slowdown on corners/crosses?

Nope. Tha's complteley gone.....which is good. What's bad however is they seem to have swung to the opposite extreme. Crossfield passes seem to accelerate across the pitch as if they have a rocket attached to them. They're more powerful than shots.

I've read the POM review and whatched some of the new videos. It seems the game has been slowed down a lot, which is good news.

I'm still hoping it'll turn out good.

For me this is a fantastic demo.

I never played any other pes games except pes 6, wich I liked but was said to be crap. So this is really a fantastic game.

The speed issue shouldn´t be a serious problem to be solved. I can´t understand people muttering about PES 2008 being an arcade game! After having played the demo several days, I switched back to PES 6 and found it to be much less dynamic and challenging. I hate playing against the CPU in PES 6, but I love it in demo! On Top Player you´ll have to fight for every ball, or am I just a bad player? Scoring several times on this level? Not for me!

Just a strange thought:

What is the right aproach? To play a football game that looks like a game on tv or play a game that feels like playing football? Today´s football is a very fast game! Everyone who has played football the whole life knows, that it´s a dynamic game.

Last edited:
Trust me...Football isn't that fast. And you can't create a scoring chance every four passes either. It's true to say that I've been playing PES since the playstation one days but there's no way I should find the hardest level that easy.

FIFA has vastly improved - it's incredibly realistic and they finally resolved the ball physics (my main fault with the previous FIFA's tbh).

PES2008 is still PES - which is a good and bad thing imo:
  • Good: Slick passing and movement - allowing for exciting moves in game
  • Bad: Slick passing and movement - realization that it is actually not that realistic :-k
At the moment, PES is still up there for me. However, the inevitable is happening - Konami is stagnating and EA is jumping in leaps and bounds. I suspect that in a while, FIFA will take top spot if Konami don't change things dramatically.

Last edited:
Its better than last year but ... hmm am disappointed.

Hope the final version will be better. (Although we all hope that every year and we are rearely rewarded :( )

Back
Top Bottom