PES 2008 Demo Impressions

This is a Review from Larcos from Pesfan.. I would suggest if you havnt played you should read this one..

I know there is a load of chat already in the thread about the demo. But much of that seems to be quickfire talk about what % of the download is complete and so on. So here is a quick review of the demo itself, having played a few games. There is no real analysis of stats, appearances etc. below - since that is not really central to the importance of the game itself, i.e. the gameplay

Refs if you don't think this is not needed, please close / move as appropriate.

Just a quick comment on the appearance of the game. Graphics, sound and menus all seem pretty slick, and an improvement on PES6 on Xbox 360. Crowd animations are good, as are the replays and general player appearances and animation. I feel the demo is let down by the choice of pitch, and the ball - but in the context of the full release this is not really relevant.

In terms of speed, the game does indeed seem quicker. Not so much the speed in which the ball gets knocked around, more the speed of player animations and reaction times. You feel more in control of your players than in PES6, and their response is not as sluggish. Regarding the ball movement, one downside is that it seems to 'slide' over the grass, rather than roll. Maybe this just needs getting used to, or is related to the choice of ball used in the demo. The physics seem more intelligent, the ball ricochets around more, and seems more random - less scripted than before. Anyone that has played WE8 International (PES3.5), that is kind thing I am talking about here.

Passing is good, it is hard to pick a perfect pass everytime and 'lazy' passes go astray or get picked off with ease. Dribbling, tricks etc. seem very good, I sold the computer AI with a few slick turns, and even the odd Super Cancel feint. In fact, I would say that by and large the computer AI is what stands out the most. It seems more 'human' than in PES6, both in offence and defense. That said, there were a couple of instances when the computer's SB went AWOL, leaving me with an easy run in on goal. The only other potential issue I saw was that midfields seemed to 'go missing' on occasion, in a manner similar to PES4. I.e. I found loads of space in the centre of the park, where normally you expect (and hope) to find it congested.

For me, the true test of all this will be multiplayer / online, but alas that is not part of the demo so will only become apparant upon full release.

Shooting seems improved, a couple of times I gave it the full directional treatment and the ball flew well wide of goal. This for me is a good thing, preferable to it flying into the corner of the net, or thereabouts. We need to be able to over direct a shot, if you see what I mean, and in this sense the demo delivers.

I saw one instance of the computer diving, when I was pressing him with 2 defenders. There was contact, but it was minimal and he rightly got a yellow card. If done correctly, this feature will be a really good addition, contrary to my previous reservations. On the subject of cards, I got a straight red for a tackle from behind in the middle of the park, so the reffing does indeed seem more strict.

Overall I would say that considering this is a demo it is very impressive indeed. As a standalone demo I would give it 9/10. My only reservations are to do with the abiity to bypass midfield, and how this will manifest online.

Bravo Konami, so far so good.

credit to Larcos

I feel very dissapointed.

-Graphics are cartoon like as one user has pointed out.

-It sickens me that after spending 2 years on PES2008, Konami haven't bothered to change the shooting animations which still look unrealistic.

-Keepers are still attrocious! How many years do konami need to get this right? Really annoying.

-Running animation is ridiculous.

Ugh, I'm just really gutted, PES6 was poor on so many levels and we all had high hopes for the next gen of PES, but PES2008 doesn't warrent the tag of Next Gen, improvements are minimal, it's just the same old shit. :(

On a final note, i can only hope the freeze when the ref blows his whistle is fixed in the final game, because it's really annoying.

This is a Review from Larcos from Pesfan.. I would suggest if you havnt played you should read this one..

I know there is a load of chat already in the thread about the demo. But much of that seems to be quickfire talk about what % of the download is complete and so on. So here is a quick review of the demo itself, having played a few games. There is no real analysis of stats, appearances etc. below - since that is not really central to the importance of the game itself, i.e. the gameplay

Refs if you don't think this is not needed, please close / move as appropriate.

Just a quick comment on the appearance of the game. Graphics, sound and menus all seem pretty slick, and an improvement on PES6 on Xbox 360. Crowd animations are good, as are the replays and general player appearances and animation. I feel the demo is let down by the choice of pitch, and the ball - but in the context of the full release this is not really relevant.

In terms of speed, the game does indeed seem quicker. Not so much the speed in which the ball gets knocked around, more the speed of player animations and reaction times. You feel more in control of your players than in PES6, and their response is not as sluggish. Regarding the ball movement, one downside is that it seems to 'slide' over the grass, rather than roll. Maybe this just needs getting used to, or is related to the choice of ball used in the demo. The physics seem more intelligent, the ball ricochets around more, and seems more random - less scripted than before. Anyone that has played WE8 International (PES3.5), that is kind thing I am talking about here.

Passing is good, it is hard to pick a perfect pass everytime and 'lazy' passes go astray or get picked off with ease. Dribbling, tricks etc. seem very good, I sold the computer AI with a few slick turns, and even the odd Super Cancel feint. In fact, I would say that by and large the computer AI is what stands out the most. It seems more 'human' than in PES6, both in offence and defense. That said, there were a couple of instances when the computer's SB went AWOL, leaving me with an easy run in on goal. The only other potential issue I saw was that midfields seemed to 'go missing' on occasion, in a manner similar to PES4. I.e. I found loads of space in the centre of the park, where normally you expect (and hope) to find it congested.

For me, the true test of all this will be multiplayer / online, but alas that is not part of the demo so will only become apparant upon full release.

Shooting seems improved, a couple of times I gave it the full directional treatment and the ball flew well wide of goal. This for me is a good thing, preferable to it flying into the corner of the net, or thereabouts. We need to be able to over direct a shot, if you see what I mean, and in this sense the demo delivers.

I saw one instance of the computer diving, when I was pressing him with 2 defenders. There was contact, but it was minimal and he rightly got a yellow card. If done correctly, this feature will be a really good addition, contrary to my previous reservations. On the subject of cards, I got a straight red for a tackle from behind in the middle of the park, so the reffing does indeed seem more strict.

Overall I would say that considering this is a demo it is very impressive indeed. As a standalone demo I would give it 9/10. My only reservations are to do with the abiity to bypass midfield, and how this will manifest online.

Bravo Konami, so far so good.

credit to Larcos

Easily pleased there :)

overall, the game is an improvement on last year! The player's faces are fantastic, photo realistic as such! Ok, it's not a massive leap, gameplay wise.. but why ruin a workin engine?

I played the FIFA demo too & I didn't think that had come massively on in terms of gameplay!

You cant really judge till the full games r released!

In PES6 you run your player up to a cpu player who is about to control the ball, your player stops dead cpu does this not me.

Does this still happen in PES2008? Same when a cpu player had the ball and has his back to you as you are running towards him , as he turns round with the ball the cpu again stops my players run. Is it still the same in Pes2008

As for ruining a working engine the above as seen in PES6 and other things like not being able to get within 10yrds of a cpu player at a throwin show for me that a New engine for the Next Gen PES is requried and using the old PS2 game engine with add on's in Next Gen does not cut it.

Yes you may get some nice things but you are still left with gameplay restrictions of the old PS2 game engine.

Do we still have the Skating ? players in PES6 when running fast slide with both feet on the ground , if so that's another reason to get an new engine for Next Gen gameplay.

No need to answer the players Skating Q? I've just seen a post of 2 goals on the bottom of Page2 of this post. And the French player running up the wing Skates on 1 foot a couple of times in the run.

I watch last years E3 and they had the NEW motion capture on show, a demo of a basketball player split screen. On one side of the screen on a PS2 "old motion capture" basketball player and on the other a PS3 Basketball player with the New motion capture. They made a big thing about it as it would take sports game to a new level of realism as players would no longer Skate but lift and plant there feet as they turned 360 and not as with the Old Motion Capture you could see side by side with the new one, the player turning in parts "8 directon" and not only that the PS2 players feet were on the ground at all times and you could see the Skating. But with the New MC with the PS3 player turn 360 turns and the player lifting and planting his feet on the ground.

This was E3 of 2006 and yet here we have Konami's Next Gen game, but alas its base is still the old PS2 eninge and no 360 turns or lifting of feet as I seen on that goal video players stil Stake on one foot.

I've not seen them but I would guess that the Next Gen Basketball games have this Next Gen movement and New Motion capature.

Its a crying shame that the so called Next Gen of PES is still tied to the old PES game engine.

I will now doubt have people telling me that its a good thing because the PS2 gameplay is solid, yes it is, but you are not telling me in this day and age that they can't put together a solid game with a New engine.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! First post here, so here's my take. I think PES still has better gameplay but it could go either way this year as both games have equal positives and negatives. But just glancing at the faces in the screens uptop on this page from PES looks scary real, more realistic than FIFA by FAR! It just surprises me that both games can't get Henry's face spot on haha.

Only good thing about the game's graphics are the player models. When I say player models, I don't mean they're cartooniness in texturing, I mean the player proportions. Oh, and the player faces are great too.

overall...disappointed.
but we know the pes3 demo/version is gonna be awesome.

knob!

if it makes you feel better then keep saying it

**padded cell, door slams shut**

newlok in the corner repeating over and over

"ps3 will be better, ps3 will be better, ps3 will be better"

after so much anticipation on this forum...how pathetic of konami.
-graphics look unrealistic to FIFA which is not that realistic either.
-running feels weird
-shooting is same old PES
+ The nets are just amazing :O

bottom line... NOTHING HAS CHANGED. At least nothing of significance. Its absolutely pathetic to me that a multi-million dollar company like konami can pump out their FIRST truly next-gen game having changed nothing from last-gen. Gives no incentive to move forward whatsoever. Its a last gen engine. Simple as that. FIFA has moved on...its a free game and the physics are actually implemented by a real physics engine rather than scripted, old, and just regurgitated crap.

overall...disappointed.
but we know the pes3 demo/version is gonna be awesome.

gobsh*te

think about it thicko, do you think a company is going to produce 2 different games or use the same game for both formats. derr!

why are you in this section anyway, oh yes cos your ulimate machine hasn't got the demo yet!

I didn't get PES6 and I won't be getting PES2008 - another year in the LemonJelly house without a new footie game. I am bitterly dissapointed with Konami and PES2008. The speed of the game is a joke, if you play a long ball it moves as if it is attached to a rocket. The graphics are simply appalling, how this can be called next-gen is beyond me, and still with slowdowns during replays.

If any mag or review site gives this anything more than an 7.5 then they are extremely jaded!

Hi,

I an a couple of others I know have been having problems with pausing during the game. Much like as has been mentioned on here with the pause as the ref blows the whistle. Some people seem to be getting it and others not.

Even the ref thing only seems to be happening to a few people.

This is what I mean....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/dannyjo22/?action=view&current=MVI_0334.flv

If you notice the pause as the ball goes to the player.

Anyone else getting this?

Last edited:
It's funny but every year the same bullshit! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GAME PLAY FIFA! Nothing more to say!

PES FOREVER!!!!

Im downloading it now, I dont really care how long it takes, watch TV or go on the PC while its doing what its doing.

As for the comments, remember it is a demo, lets not get carried away with the PES bashing that is all to common this time of year. Wait for the full version before slaggin the game off.

You want to talk cartoonish then lets talk FIfa 08. Some of those skill moves would defy physics and logic, its beyond the joke, its like extreme football. Fifa 08 is Fifa 07 plus skills. Having said that Fifa has improved over the years and what better way of making PES better than having a decent bit of competition, long may the rivalry continue.

For me there is BOREDOM written all over this game, few tweaks here and there, but i mostly know how the AI is gonna move, what kinda of gols i am gonna score and the same usual scripted deflections and goly saves.

If they don't move on from this blatant scripting they are going nowhere.

2008 is surely FIFA year, let's hope pes comes back in his full glory next year.

Last night when I returned from a PES tourney with bunch of mates I was thrilled to see the demo on XBL.

My first impression:
PES2008 demo is a major improvement over that debacle last year, PES6 (360), it's alot faster. even though it does feel a bit empty for now, it plays lot more like PES/WE. and I can tell after 4 hours of PES6 (PS2)

Now I really wonder how the other versions will play like, judging from the TGS movies, the PS3 version felt like I was watching the 360 version of PES6 last year. players moved around slowly and unnatural.

This is only a beta and the same demo as from the Leipzig convention supposedly.
Which on the ps3 was much better!
So I expect the 360 to catch up with that....

The ball skids along too quick for my tastes and as said earlier doesn't obviously roll, and I think the L1 chip through ball now has lost its impact (much like the ps2 version of pes6).
Graphics are super crisp on my HD projector though :)
I love the pitch and face graphics, and unlike Fifa the player body proportions seem right.

The demo having no 2player and 1 fixed (normal not widescreen camera) pisses me off...its at least a 2 half (5mins) game.

I recently brought an xbox 360 and was looking forward to seeing what pro evo was going to be like on a nex gen console.

Bare in mind ive played this game religiously since ISS on the snes right throught the PS1 and PS2 days to today on the xbox 360

After playing the demo im Flippin gutted!!!!!

This is not next gen graphics !!

this is not next gen gameplay !!

this is not a next gen game !!

They're still working on the same old ps2 engine to make the game. Thats fine for a ps2 but this is NEX GEN.

Its just the same as last year with a few tweeks.

A bit of speed, added diving and the cpu defense seem to go awol so you can score
from crosses or just run through the center of them.

and whats with the players running animation. do they all have one leg longer then the other or a limp.

whats with the way the cut animation of the pro evo 8 logo disappears half way through.( either keep it in or take it out)

Im not buying anymore from the pro evo series until Konami FIX up and make a nex gen game.

Last edited:
The goalkeepers in this game are terrible, they don't get into good positions and it's now ridiculously easy to score from almost anywhere. The keepers from Pro 6 were fine. What have Konami done!???

I find myself wanting to play it again - this was definitely not the case with PES6 on the 360. I also like the fact that I can swap the trigger control functions with the buttons (IMHO it feels more intuitive to have the dash on the trigger).

I think if they iron out some problems (goalkeepers are all Sunday league level, choppy framerate in celebrations), I might actually buy it :)

I don't think the graphics are that bad either tbh

The goalkeepers in this game are terrible, they don't get into good positions and it's now ridiculously easy to score from almost anywhere. The keepers from Pro 6 were fine. What have Konami done!???

actually there were shit in PES6 too.

what i find insulting is that the changes to this game are minimal.

Just copying my post from PESfan so i dont have to type again! thought i'd copy it here because you guys seem abit more open to fifa.

Anyway:
made afew comments earlier, after playing both fifa and pes demos this morning im gunna go into abit more depth of my thoughts. (my opinion)

right, PES this year is a fair improvement on last years. But yet again its just another small update in my eyes, and its getting to the point with me, i want something more, the master league looks pretty much the same from what we've seen (of course we dont know that much about it yet), but if its the same with a 'grade' system, that doesnt cut it for me.

The graphics are ok, not next gen though, and not massively better than last year. The pitch does look better though i think.

To its defence it feels alot like the old PES we love.

The AI is an improvement again, but i personally dont think its as good as fifas.

Goalkeepers might be fine tuned before the final copy, but as it stands not very good again, dont catch the ball alot!! The referees again might be fine tuned, but they're giving away fouls for hardly anything, and to be honest its just annoying, the computer with their "auto" tackling in the box has already given away numerous penalties.

The ball physics, i think are slightly too heavy but its ok once you get used to it. Passing has improved, no more first touch passes that go about 3 yards!! Shooting is much better, i dont think it could of got worse that last years!

A bit of a run down:
My thoughts on what ive been given is that FIFA has improved alot, and have put alot of effort in. I now like the feel of the gameplay, it feels very realistic, whereas PES feels more arcadey.
Of course theres just something about PES's gameplay, thats why we buy it every year. But for me they put very little into trying to make the game better. In my opinion the major improvements it needs are more game modes, a GOOD master league, GOOD atmospheric crowds, more teams and leagues and good commentary (which i think is something this fifa is offering).

I will be buying fifa this year, and letting my housemate buy Pro. If the final version is decent i will buy PES also.

(This is just my opinion, im sure hardly anyone will agree! Ive been playing PES since the ISS days and never thought i'd buy fifa. But i guess im just getting bored with the same old same old!)

Cheers.

Just played several games, each one very different and I must say I enjoyed every match.

Gameplay is a massive improvement
Graphics are slightly up on PES6
Nets are awesome
Faces, kits etc.... look fine

The game plays a lot better because the players are more responsive, one of the major issues which ruined PES6.

This plays like a PS2 version of PES. I dont know what people were expecting, after all, what is next gen gameplay. So the graphics arent photo realistic, who gives a damn. This is a good solid game and overall a massive improvement.

It took konami 3 PES games before they got to grips with the PS2, give them time and it will only get better. Pes 2008 will more than do for a year.

Well done konami, PES 2008 is a brilliant game. There really is no issue with the ball skidding rather than rolling and carton graphics they aint.

Stop the whining, this PES bashing happens every year and only last year was the whining justified.

My opinion of the game is its shit sorry but its true the game is the same as last years on just a little nicer round the edges and the strips are still to low rez come on Konami give us some high rez strips that look the part also the bloody pausing and slowdown is a pain in the ass i know fifa has some slowdown but not as much as PES2008 the strips and players in FIFA are also higher detailed so this prob y it slows down though PES this year does play smoother i got to admit that but yet again it feels to floaty the players feel to am not sure its hard to explain but after PES5 they went down hill they could have fixed the bugs and gave us a great game but they changed to much and destroied the game.

I played FIFA now i hate FIFA ever since 09 (the best one in my opinion).
now this years is good it plays well and looks the part also the game isnt actualy that bad its hard and thats what i like yeah you can moan about the physics and the animations but in the end you have all the licenses plus a better around game i though i would never hear my self say this but it look like FIFA is just about to get its big old toe in front.

thanks to another shit game by konami take a leaf out of EA's tree try and change the game for the better dont do what they did 5,6 years ago and start firing out the same game year after year with some new strips and a new move listen to use fans the ones that pay your wages and give us the game that we want not the game that you think we want.

Also they have gave us the edit mode back whoopty do as the 360 all saves are signed and linked to the profile that they were created on so no saves sharing no PC editing of the saves every person has to edit there own save all i can say if fuck that as iam not sitting editing thousands of players shit loads of strips and have to make each badge by hand just to get board of the game a couple of weeks later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom