Virtua Tennis 3

ThomasGOAL said:
IGN says PS3 aces 360 in Virtua Tennis

As IGN was checking out the new Virtua Tennis 3 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at Leipzig, they made note of the "slight" differences between the two versions saying that the PS3 edged out the 360 when it came to graphical dominance.

Plainly put, the PS3 looked a little better with sharper textures and incredibly detailed player models. It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character's forehead.

To be fair, however, IGN does say that the different versions are being worked on by two different companies -- which could account for the slight differences. But, we're sure this won't stop the many fanboys ready to defend their camp on this new info.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/ign-says-ps3-aces-360-in-virtua-tennis/

Everyone's saying this, thing is Sumo (who convert Xbox 360 version) are known for faultless arcade conversions.

They've done so far

OutRun 2 (Xbox)
OutRun Coast 2 Coast (PS2, PSP, Xbox, PC)
Virtua Tennis (PSP)

Perhaps finally PS3 is showing its edge over the 360?

Play Saints Row on a 360... The "edge" that the PS3 will have is there for all to see (i.e. the technical limits - the framerate and the "dot matrix" graphics stuck onto their faces).

Ack, I'm sounding like a fanboy today, but it's true. Just trying to inform.

On Nadal's video, the jumps are due to the quality of the player. If you manage to anticipate, you never jumps. If your're always moved around, you have to jump, it was always like that. And when you know how to do that, you always try to control the game by avoiding the jumps.

By the way, I love how the clothes move. Awesome.

Some of those are really scary, Tim Henman looks like he's starring in a zombie movie... I don't like those at all...

4983620060908_163002_38_big.jpg

The Sharapova face is crap! Come on!
But the rest of it looks graphically better than TS2!

IGN and GameInformer about the PS3 version =

IGN :
"Plainly put, the PS3 looked a little better with sharper textures and incredibly detailed player models. It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character´s forehead."
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/727/727917p1.html

GI :
"As far as visuals, the PlayStation 3 version is notably better. With much more defined facial features, crisper stadiums, and realistic cloth movement, the PlayStation 3 version is the best looking Tennis title we’ve yet to see at this point. Sega admitted the title was still early in development, and while planned for a spring 2007 release, we’ll wait until we get our hands on more final code to give the last verdict."
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200608/N06.0824.1850.31084.htm

You'd better be able to turn that ball-trail off. In a game as realistic looking as that, the last thing you want to see is "hard-hitter" under the player names, a comet trail behind the ball and sparks when you hit it. What the hell? They make the graphics incredible and then add cartoon effects??

Jack Bauer said:
You'd better be able to turn that ball-trail off. In a game as realistic looking as that, the last thing you want to see is "hard-hitter" under the player names, a comet trail behind the ball and sparks when you hit it. What the hell? They make the graphics incredible and then add cartoon effects??
Arcade game? Whereas, Top Spin 2 is more of a simulation type game I suppose.

Top Spin 2 is a pure simulation. I bought it last week and there's a gap between the 1st version and a bigger gap with VT games. But that's not what true fans are waiting for VT3. Personnaly, I want fun, multiplayer nights and crazy points. A true arcade game but with a lot of modes, not like TS2. And I want to see "Hard Hitter" under my name :lol: !!!

It's very difficult to play TS2 with friends during nights but with VT no problem.

ashmufc said:
The Sharapova face is crap! Come on!
:shock:
Top spin 2 ISN'T beautiful (1st 360 games). But gamplay is awesome and complete.

Last edited:
I totally agree with jack, VT is just an excuse to lose to a mate, so at the end of the day you'll say, well it was only mock about slash fun game not a competitive one. IMO i see myself playing TS online and getting into competitive leagues, matches and the lot to know who is the best ball hitter :mrgreen:. I can't actually play virtual tennis for long periods of time as it's more of a group/family pick up and play game than anything (think difference between Fifa and PES) and i'm just not that kinda character. if they could work on it so that people could turn off the arcady aspects of the game and turn it on as well, then i think they'll hit 2 birds with one stone and aquire more potential buyers like me.

Last edited:
i just have to ask...i hated VT in the past because the play is reallybad....did they improve here?? are there any unforced errors??? i know only the arcade is out...and usually arcades are not as realistic as it should be....but, a game with no unforced errors or only a little....plus every ball they can almost catch no matter how nicely it was hitten from before with no problem or errors in the return...

i think Top spin sort of wins in that compartment???

NickSCFC said:
Don't talk shit ashmufc
What are you reffering to? :shock: I always thought you were a good person on Evo-Web, not like the others who love to argue to ruin threads.

Arcade game? Whereas, Top Spin 2 is more of a simulation type game I suppose.
Well it is an arcade game, unless you think players roll over the floor all the time and jump very high, and sparks fly of balls when you hit them.

Why oh why are fanboys so dense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Lindbergh
According to Sega AM2 president Hiroshi Kataoka, use of an NVIDIA GPU means that it is generally easier to port Lindbergh games to Sony's PlayStation 3 than to the Xbox 360

That more than explains why it looks better on the PS3. The GPU hardware is almost identical.:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Chihiro
The Chihiro system shares some features with its Xbox cousin, notably the 733MHz Intel Pentium III-class CPU and the nVidia XChip graphics processor
Again, because of hardware similarities, this is why the xbox version of the Outrun games were so much more like the arcade versions than the others.

It will be the same case for VT3, its easier to port and more like the arcade version as the PS3 hardware is similar, meaning you get all the nice little optimizations of the arcade version, like better textures as you can probably use the exact same ones with no need to change them for new hardware.

Last edited:
Virtua Tennis Still Online?
SEGA is keeping hope alive for PS3-owning online tennis fans.

September 26, 2006 - Today, GameIndustry.biz reported that Sega had announced that the PlayStation 3 version of the anticipated tennis game Virtua Tennis 3 was forced to scrap online features.

However, when IGN contacted Sega they were unwilling to confirm the loss of online play for the PS3 version. A representative for the company could only assure us that the Xbox 360 version of Virtua Tennis 3 will ship with online play while not confirming the loss of these features for the PS3 version. Confused? So were we.

Recently, Sony PlayStation 3's development stalls led developer Neversoft to omit online features from the PS3 version of Tony Hawk Project 8. Neversoft is confident the PS3 version of the game will ship at launch in November, but the development team hadn't received all of the software libraries from Sony and has no indication of how the online components will work on PS3.

Last week at the Tokyo Game Show Sony mentioned goals for PS3's online features like downloadable games and YouTube-esque ability to permit users to share videos, but offered few specifics about how the network would function.

Virtua Tennis 3 offers new online features like "Court Games" which puts a twist on the series' gameplay and mini games, and a multi-set option which lets gamers choose and play up to five sets of tennis.

Versions of Virtua Tennis 3 are planned to ship spring 2007 for X360, PS3, PSP, and PC.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/735/735569p1.html

ThomasGOAL said:
The only bad point of the PS3 for me are erased now :)
Only bad point? What about no HDMI or Component cable coming packaged with the PS3.

Anyway, this is good news :)

Back
Top Bottom