Virgin 20Mb Broadband

I'm afraid my funny little OCD kicks in with grammar and typing and spelling mistakes! Drives me mad but I can't let things go :LOL:.

It's even got to the point where I have to put a full stop after the smiley at the end of the sentence!

337617499.png

Fibre Optic 20MB it's never been over 10, but it'll do.

I've made a formal complaint which has now been logged on their system, and typed up a letter to their head office. Been getting less than 1Mb this last week of an evening, a fucking joke and no way am I paying them for 20Mb at this rate.

I've made a formal complaint which has now been logged on their system, and typed up a letter to their head office. Been getting less than 1Mb this last week of an evening, a fucking joke and no way am I paying them for 20Mb at this rate.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33639052-more-liverpool-problems-page-3.html

Might be interested in this as i thought and said before Oversubscribed UBR and your certainly not only one with problems.

Seems they finally done some work but it seems that it hasnt had any effect in your case thats a shame pretty shocking the way its got so bad.

Last edited:
Basically i just wrote a very long story about my internet going on and off all week and it went off again they have been fucking me about all week.

Had problems with my broadband going off randomly for a week now.

Phoned up their support earlier and got some guy saying the lights on the modem are fine so he can't help and he sent out a new modem.

Anyway, been power-cycling the modem and now the Ready light won't even stay solid most of the time. So I phoned Tech Support back and got a helpful guy who checked the power levels of the modem. Turns out the levels for both the upstream and downstream are off and an engineer needs to come out and sort it for me :BRICK:

Why the first guy didn't check that is beyond me, Virgin are useless at times ... in fact most of the time.

Out of interest dags what are the signal levels?

The network has been going down quite a lot recently with the roll out of 50 meg, and the cock up that allowed non 50 meg modems to 'try' and use 50 meg configs

You mean what were mine? One was meant to be between -12 and +12, it was 14.3.

The other was meant to be between 35 and 70, it was 34.5.

Can't remember which was upstream and which was downstream.

..................Target Commissioning Range.....Wider Working Range
NTL original areas...-2.5 dBmV to +2.5 dBm.........somewhat wider than that!
NTL ex-C&W areas.......-6 dBmV to -3 dBmV............-12 dBmV to -3 dBmV

here are the ideal ranges for your cable modem, are you using an attenuator on the line already?

edit: looking at your post above it would seem your upstream is causing the problem

from robbin walkers cable modem page
•ntl:home (Ambit): the SYNC light goes out or flashes for downstream problems; the RDY light goes out or flashes for upstream problems.

Last edited:
Nope, the guy asked if i had one and I think the engineer might be fitting one.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 26
Downstream Frequency : 315000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 37504000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 35.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

They're my stats at the moment, obviously my internet is working for a few mins now :)

Yeh dont look too bad, although your downstream power level is on the high side. think it may be a case of inconsistant signal strength coupled with the current network instability on virgins side.

Just taking out the power for 30 seconds or whatever, letting it discharge itself and turning it back on.

The engineer arrived, adjusted the power levels and replaced my modem and says it should be fine.

Tested as soon as he went and left it running, didn't get to 20Mb once, jumping between 5Mb and 15Mb randomly. Called the Tech Support up again, the girl acknowledged there was still a problem and she'd send a tech out again.

So another tech comes out today, adjusts the power levels again, still don't get 20Mb, getting 10Mb while he was here. He calls his support and they tell him there is still a problem and the SNR keeps jumping around. They'll try some fixes there and monitor it for a week.

So the tech leaves and I've got to wait and see if it changes, at this time I'm getting 5Mb and it hasn't gone above 6Mb in the last 10 mins :ROLL:

I think we'll definately be getting rid of Virgin when the 12 months are up.

The engineer arrived, adjusted the power levels and replaced my modem and says it should be fine.

Tested as soon as he went and left it running, didn't get to 20Mb once, jumping between 5Mb and 15Mb randomly. Called the Tech Support up again, the girl acknowledged there was still a problem and she'd send a tech out again.

So another tech comes out today, adjusts the power levels again, still don't get 20Mb, getting 10Mb while he was here. He calls his support and they tell him there is still a problem and the SNR keeps jumping around. They'll try some fixes there and monitor it for a week.

So the tech leaves and I've got to wait and see if it changes, at this time I'm getting 5Mb and it hasn't gone above 6Mb in the last 10 mins :ROLL:

I think we'll definately be getting rid of Virgin when the 12 months are up.

get this mate https://www.bethere.co.uk/ look at my connection

Ha and Tim and co kept complaining i get lag lol my connection is soo fast that its you lot that couldnt keep up with my connection ;)

do you download from newsgroups dags?

I dont trust the speedtest things at all - usually miles off

Ill do a test now (im on a 20 meg connection and max ill get is 15mbps, however, when i download anything from newsgroups im hitting the full speed consistantly with no drops at all (2542kbps)

lol actually check this out!

even better

do you download from newsgroups dags?

I dont trust the speedtest things at all - usually miles off

Ill do a test now (im on a 20 meg connection and max ill get is 15mbps, however, when i download anything from newsgroups im hitting the full speed consistantly with no drops at all (2542kbps)

lol actually check this out!

even better

Yep mate, Speedtests are pretty rubbish I think, always do my tests using newsgroups (last night was just to show Jonney my Speedtest rating).

It's also a good way of shutting up the Virgin customer service staff who come out trying to blame the websites and the servers where I'm trying to get my files from. When I mention I've tested using newsgroups and that gives a true reflection of my speed, I doubt they know what newsgroups are, so they go all quiet then :)

Back
Top Bottom