Virgin 20Mb Broadband

D

DagsJT

Just had this fitted yesterday and I've hardly seen the connection go anything over 5Mb. Got 1800KB/s this morning but all last night was roughly 500KB/s and at the moment (and for the last hour) it's settling at 300KB/s. Which, to be honest, is fucking awful considering I'm paying for 20Mb/s and they're giving me less than a quarter.

Anyone else on the XL service and get shit speeds?

Cheers mate, I'll grab the optimiser and see how that works :)

Completely forgot about the tweaks last night :( I tried grabbing some stuff off newsgroups and maxed out at 900KB/s, that was around 9pm.

Im hopping on the Virgin broadband bandwagon at the end of April, I can cancel the SHITE that is Tiscali and ill be getting the missus to make an account with Virgin for Broadband.... If you want to know WHY I have to ask the missus then see the ISP provider thread and hear about my fiasco with Virgin....

You might wanna rethink that DJ...

Virgin Media to clamp down on illegal downloaders

If you're not legit, the big V could soon cut off your Internet connection
Internet Service Provider Virgin Media is planning a 'three strikes' system against naughty illegal downloaders and file sharers.

The cable company is apparently in talks with BPI about how to set up a warning system, which if ignored could disconnect those infringing copyright.

Tiscali tried a similar thing last year but came into disputes with the BPI over who should fund the legal action.

Virgin Media said that it has been in talks with rights owner's organisations about how a voluntary scheme could work.

Scared, Johnny P2P? You should be.

http://www.t3.com/news/virgin-media-to-clamp-down-on-illegal-downloaders?=35487

get bethere. no need to deal with all that nonsence. at the end of the day 7/10 users download ilegal stuff

That Virgin guide has fucked it all up, now I can't get above 100K a second! Cheers Virgin! :roll:

Back to the "normal" 400k but really, this speed is fucking awful considering. I'll be calling them up I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just done one of those tests for my Sky Broadband, this is from my laptop which is wireless, I'll do one from my wired PC later:

wirelesstest.jpg

Just called them up and they told me I am on the 20Mb service and to call their Tech Support. I'll wait it out for a bit before calling the 25p a min service just to be told it's all fine on their end.

Just got a free wireless router from them too, bonus :D

Yep, has made no difference at all.

From what I'm reading on other forums, it appears VM do a LOT of traffic management. You download anywhere near 3GB and they restrict your speed. Only supposed to be between 4pm and 9pm but it seems people are getting slower speeds before and after those times too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, it's a Vostro 1500 laptop, only one ethernet port for me to plug the cable into :)

No worries mate, I appreciate the advice :)

It'll be interesting to see if the speed goes back up, I'll test it tomorrow morning before work and see the speed then.

Back
Top Bottom