Virgin 20Mb Broadband

Just done one of those tests for my Sky Broadband, this is from my laptop which is wireless, I'll do one from my wired PC later:

wirelesstest.jpg
And this one is from my hard wired connection which goes to PC and Xbox360:

:DANCE:

Just called them up and they told me I am on the 20Mb service and to call their Tech Support. I'll wait it out for a bit before calling the 25p a min service just to be told it's all fine on their end.

Just got a free wireless router from them too, bonus :D

If you do ring technical support request to have your call charges deducted from your bill. If your service is crap it's their fault after all. Might be worth asking technical support to send a fresh update to your modem, you'll need the MAC address off the bottom of the modem - that did the trick when I changed from 4mb to 20mb.

Best of luck!

Theres no chance in hell you'll ever see 20mb unless they start sticking fibre-optics cables in everywhere, and they're not gonna do that any time soon.

Thats why unfortunately my HomeHub is a con. Fastest I've seen is around 6mb at home, which I suppose isn't too bad when its advertised 8mb, but usually its hovering around 2-3mb.

i think the connection speed varies on timing as well, my connection for example blasts around early morning or late night, anything between is %60 less then the commercial speed.

Theres no chance in hell you'll ever see 20mb unless they start sticking fibre-optics cables in everywhere, and they're not gonna do that any time soon.

Thats why unfortunately my HomeHub is a con. Fastest I've seen is around 6mb at home, which I suppose isn't too bad when its advertised 8mb, but usually its hovering around 2-3mb.

Matherto can you do a SpeedTest and Post it here? I am sure mine is running very slow and shitty - I'm gonna call them up. Just want to know what other people are getting with a HomeHub?

I'll do one from my missus place next week. She shares a house with 4 others at Uni down in Eastbourne, and I'm going down for a bit next week. I'll test it and post it on here :TU:.

I'll do one from my missus place next week. She shares a house with 4 others at Uni down in Eastbourne, and I'm going down for a bit next week. I'll test it and post it on here :TU:.

Good man - If I can say to them what other people get - then I can bring them down to China Town and show them no mercy!!!

Before 9am I'm getting 19000 kb/s, but as soon as people start waking up (and over weekends), BAM! down to 4000 kb/s. Bit shit really.

Before 9am I'm getting 19000 kb/s, but as soon as people start waking up (and over weekends), BAM! down to 4000 kb/s. Bit shit really.

Oversubcribed UBR by sounds of it ouch! thats problem it can be awesome for so many but when your in area with tons of subscribers will effect service.

Just think when 50mb comes later this year if some of networks cant handle 20mb properly. :DOH:

Would it be worth moaning to Virgin though? If it's a busy area, I'm not sure what else they can do?

Would it be worth moaning to Virgin though? If it's a busy area, I'm not sure what else they can do?

They wont do nothing like moaning to brick wall tbh.

All you can check is stuff your end for any faults but i doubt its your end due to what you said.

Yep moan and moan, your paying for a service they are not providing Dags Moan like a constent moaning moaner, keep records of everything then claim comp..:SS They say it will fluctuate but if you are constantly getting under what they are claiming to provide... complain..

This has gone to a fucking ridiculous low ...

TAKING THE PISS!

Pretty shocking that shouldnt have to put up with that.

On my up to 8mbps ADSL there 6 centrals on Enta network during day its fine but off peak gets hammered due to all downloading etc.

But connection will never go below 2mbps which is good id rather have caps though then traffic shaping any day of week.

:lmao: :SHOCK: You're upload is faster than your download!!!

Just done another test from my wireless laptop:

Last edited:
Spoke to a guy at Tech Support, he told me there's an "ITX load" issue in my area. The estimated time of repair is 22/05/08!! So I'm getting bollocks speed for another month :MAD:

Asked him about compensation and he said they'll reduce my bill to 50% of what I pay for the broadband but they can fuck that off. I'm getting an average of 200Kb/s, not 10Mb (which is 50% of what I should be getting) so as far as I'm concerned they better be knocking a LOT more than 50% off or major complaints will be going in all over the show.

Nothing I can do until this 25th May it seems. Though strangely enough my speeds seem to have improved since that conversation with Virgin.

I'm now seeing 10Mb/s at times instead of constant 4Mb/s, though it is dropping at times. Maybe they've done some work on the UBR? Or maybe they've stopped limiting my speed? ;))

Hmm, good news whatever they have/haven't done. Glad it's improving for ya :)).

P.S. You got that long ethernet cable you needed?

Got the cable yep. But the guy also brought in a F5D7330 wireless gaming receiver which he said I can have :BY:

Works perfectly, just connects to my 360 ethernet port and connects immediately to my wireless :D

80KB/s over the weekend...

I'm going to call them tonight and tell them they're breaking their contract by not providing the service I'm paying for. Taking the piss is a nice way of saying it, I'm sure they don't have a leg to stand on.

They're providing me with less than a 20th of what I'm supposed to be receiving when it reaches Friday afternoon right through until early Monday morning. During weeknights I peak at 500KB/s which is still only a quarter of what I pay for. Disgusting service really.

Back
Top Bottom