The Random Football Thread - Topic changed many times already!

Re: Argentina-England! PEKERMAN!!! :|

the hand of god played some roll in that.

I would defintely choose rooney of those 3. Messi as quality but he lacks strengh, he gos against powerfull defenders he can't do a thing, for now.
Robinho is just surprising everybody on is first year. He needs alot(alot alot) more to become world class.

changed subject again! :lol:

Revan said:
Robinho is just surprising everybody on is first year. He needs alot(alot alot) more to become world class.

Whadja mean? as in people were surprised that he wasn't as good as people claim he was in his first year? or that people were surprised at supposedly how good he was in his first year?

Last edited:
Pele is overated IMO. And he stole the spotlight from the rest of the Brazil players who were arguably equally as good.
Maradona on the other hand was like a god on the pitch.
I agree. Another reason he's overated is because he doesn't get into trouble and is a extra-nice with FIFA.
And as you said, he had a legendary Brazilian squad with him.

lol.....just noticed the thread title has been changed.

Pele hasn't actually played in Europe right? So how can he even be considered to be the greatest ever?! Maradona is just immense.....the guy carried the Argentina side and Napoli to superstardom. But yeah, he was a bit of a nutcase tho'.

rockykabir said:
Yes, fair enough - we do overrate our players a tad but I also feel there is a tendancy for others to write off English players as world class.
Mainly because they haven't done much to prove it...

Okay Owen is a world clash goal scorer, Rooney just embodies class, and maybe Gerrard is a world class midfeilder but I think that's where it stops.:)

Players like Lampard and Terry have proved themselves in England but not on a world class level, come back with the WC next year and then they will have done.;)

JayM said:
Mainly because they haven't done much to prove it...

Okay Owen is a world clash goal scorer, Rooney just embodies class, and maybe Gerrard is a world class midfeilder but I think that's where it stops.:)

Players like Lampard and Terry have proved themselves in England but not on a world class level, come back with the WC next year and then they will have done.;)

The Champions League? A place where arguably the world's top talent comes to play? Oh yeah, cos this now means that Thierry Henry is definitely not World class and well Andrei Shevchenko is just a pile of cack cos they don't seem to perform in the international level.

Mate, although I love the WC and Euros, if you want to see true world class action, watch the Champions League. Just cos a guy turned out to be amazing in a World Cup (El Hadji Diouf anyone?) don't make him world class.

And hence Ladies and Gentlemen, we move onto our next topic in this wonderful thread, Is the World Cup better than the Champions League?

:mrgreen:

Last edited:

lumlum said:
rrrrrrona.jpg

Maybe my freind still has the animated gif.

:lmao:

Gymnastics always comes handy! Get your lessons with professor Cristiano :)

Still... Pauleta > Owen

rockykabir said:
The Champions League? A place where arguably the world's top talent comes to play? Oh yeah, cos this now means that Thierry Henry is definitely not World class and well Andrei Shevchenko is just a pile of cack cos they don't seem to perform in the international level.

Mate, although I love the WC and Euros, if you want to see true world class action, watch the Champions League. Just cos a guy turned out to be amazing in a World Cup (El Hadji Diouf anyone?) don't make him world class.

And hence Ladies and Gentlemen, we move onto our next topic in this wonderful thread, Is the World Cup better than the Champions League?

:mrgreen:
I'm counting Champions League, Chelsea have done okay in it but they've not shown "class", they're a good team, Gerrard got a mention because he won himself a CL medal while captaining his side and scoring in the final, add to that the fact he scored the goal that kept Liverpool in the tournament again Olympiacos and that's what makes a player world class IMO..

JayM said:
I'm counting Champions League, Chelsea have done okay in it but they've not shown "class", they're a good team, Gerrard got a mention because he won himself a CL medal while captaining his side and scoring in the final, add to that the fact he scored the goal that kept Liverpool in the tournament again Olympiacos and that's what makes a player world class IMO..

Apart from that hiccup in Real Betis, Chelsea have been smacking it in the Champs League. Def one of the faves imho - and Lampard/Terry have been integral to that.

Yes, Owen has been a little off form compared to his standards he set but he's still a player anyone will like in their team. I won't say he is world class atm tho.

The sad fact is, if Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Rooney were Brazilian/Argentinian/French/whatever I doubt people would be doubting them in terms of World Class-ness.

Last edited:
mate...what about all the endless hype surrounding Kaka, Robinho, Maschereno and Messi before they even made it in Europe? We've all heard it! All countries are guilty of overhyping their players but thats the way it is.

Just cos the EPL managers don't insist in buying S.American players for the League don't mean that we all don't appreciate them!

A thing which must be said why many managers like British players is the drive and determination they put into the game. As someone mentioned previously, just cos they do a million stepovers (i.e. Denilson) to pass two players don't make them a great footballer. As I said previously, Maradona was one of those rare exceptions who had incredible flair but was capable of putting 110% all the time.

Last edited:
I didn't mean it that way, what I meant was they probably wouldn't have even been giving a chance, maybe not because they aren't good enough but maye because thier style suits England.

rockykabir said:
Whadja mean? as in people were surprised that he wasn't as good as people claim he was in his first year? or that people were surprised at supposedly how good he was in his first year?

what what? ;)

I meant players, the defenders that have to face him. They don't know is play style and are not used to his style. Doesn't mean shit though, next year he could be dribling half the team. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Great thread

Fucking France U21s, what cheating bastards.

OK, it was a silly place for Richardson to make a challenge, but he didn't touch the French guy, and he literally took off and flew threw the air.

[-X :mad:

Tim7 said:
Fucking France U21s, what cheating bastards.

[-X :mad:

LLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!

You joke or what ???? :lmao:

English player are bastards !! foul, foul, foul, foul and foul !!!
next time play football

so now Bye Bye

JayM said:
You wouldn't even know Terry or Lampard's name if they where Brazilian or Argentinian.
Why wouldnt we? Only difference would be that would refer to them as something along the lines of Lampardo.:mrgreen:

ThomasGOAL said:
LLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!

You joke or what ???? :lmao:

English player are bastards !! foul, foul, foul, foul and foul !!!
next time play football

so now Bye Bye
Yeah mate, it's kinda hard to play football when the opposition are on the floor for the whole match :roll:

You had one good player, that's it.

oh yeah.. but people seem to forget what Pele accomplished during is career. It surpasses both of them togheter.

But... :p I do prefer Zidane than any of those. ;)

I apologise to my South American brethren out there but to be truly accomplish anything in football, you have to play in Europe. Pele was great, he had skill and flair but we will never know whether he would have scored the 3000 or so goals in Europe.

Maradona would walk into any team today as would Zidane. But Maradona is King imo...

RuneEdge said:
Totally agree. This is one of the reasons why Robben is fun to watch. He doesnt need stepovers or tricks either. But he still somehow manages to get past players.

Pele is overated IMO. And he stole the spotlight from the rest of the Brazil players who were arguably equally as good.
Maradona on the other hand was like a god on the pitch.

On the 1st point, I can't disagree too much, it's what you like in a player, for me I think Messi looks wonderful, I'm sure he's only around 17 or 18, so a bit younger than the other 2.

As for the Pele thing, your having a laugh right. No doubt there where greats in that team there, although I can't speak in detail too much as I wasn't born when the guy was at his top, but jesus look at his record. You must be thick not to think that something like 80 goals in 90-odd Internationals and 1200-ish goals in 1300-ish games (recorded) is for an over-rated player.

Fk sake get a grip. Football didn't expect from the 80's and 90's onwards.

For me Maradona was the best player I saw, didn't see as much of him as I liked, when playing for Napoli and Internationals, but he was the best in my eyes. I'd say Zidane has been the best since by quite a long way for me.

FD

I don't know, does anyone?

Pitches weren't the same, balls weren't the same, boots weren't the same. The game has just changed so dramatically.

For me impossible to tell, evolution baby. :mrgreen:

FD

Back
Top Bottom