PES/WE 2012 Demo Thread

I love how the ball bobbles on the pitch, and it isnt just cosmetic, it is kind of how I was hoping when I first saw the videos, with the bounce giving relevance to the power and technique in the strike. Catching the ball just as it bobbles up can produce really clean venomous strikes. Really like that, there is nothing better in real-life than catching one like that, it's a helper, easier to connect flush as the ball is elavated. The replicated that cock on.

It is possible, I scored this one yesterday

'Berbatov chip shot'

Maybe its a Porto thing, he chipped my GK too, idiot.

Some things I've noticed,

- AC Milan have better off the ball movement than Porto.
- I'm finding it difficult (or rather challenging) to get Varela and Hulk (inverted wingers) into iso situations with their opposing full backs.
- Has the WB option been removed? I couldn't play with wing backs when I was Napoli...
- Ganso is amazing, the way he naturally goes about looking for the ball is lovely. MLO awaits for him.

Here are my impressions, please feel free to comment:

http://tikitakatoom.blogspot.com/

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - Demo 1 Impressions
Just a quick note on Konami's presentation in general regarding the series; PES is one of the only games where the trailer looks worse than the actual game. Konami should work on their presentation if they want to be big. Anyhow, without further ado, here are my first impressions:

The Good

• PES 2011 was engineered for freedom and this year Konami have not only stuck to the slogan, the freedom available in the game is more pronounced and more accessible than before. In a sentence, play it your way. Target man, possession, counter attack, down the wings, down the middle. It is all about getting the best out of the players you got.
  • Stumbling animation is gone.
  • Switching system is a simple yet vital addition. Although it still works quite bad on Assisted.
  • Fewer loading times have lead to a more seamless gameplay.
  • Player response is very very good, but not in an unrealistic FIFA way i.e. ball sticking to the players feet. The momentum is still there, just much faster response time and therefore...
  • ...Dribbling has improved significantly. And my god, isn't it so much fun. In this category, it is the best football game to date in my opinion. However, there are currently too many players that can dribble past others quite easily despite not being good dribblers or controllers of the ball. Reminds me of PES 2009 a little, unfortunately.
  • Ball physic is also improved in passing, shooting and crossing. It feels right.
  • Referees are improved as well as collision detection. This was certainly needed as this year PES is also more physical and therefore in need of a decent refereeing system.
  • Player awareness is improved in defence and offence. Awareness of defensive positioning as well as attacking moves are improved significantly.
  • Training mode is not only a way to learn to play the game, it helps in understanding the way Konami have implemented different features of the game and overall is a blast and a truly welcome re-addition.
  • Better anti-aliasing has given the PC version a smoother look.

The Bad

• While the stumbling behaviour is gone, I sometimes feel the players are too good at getting back on their feet. Almost too aware of the situation while they are stumbling.
  • The CPU sometimes decides to play the pass to a wrong receiver, especially when the two players are slightly aligned with the pass direction.
  • Game feels a little too fast on 0 (zero).
  • Advantage rule could be better implemented, although it has slightly improved since 2011.
  • Dribbling (as stated in The Good)
  • Not a big fan of the new lighting system. It looks quite dark and gives PES an slight spooky/zombie feel, especially when you see Fletcher shouting.
  • In the sound department, PES is still lacking a lot. The sound effects, for example the ball hitting the bar, are quite bad. Also quality of sounds and effects are not as good the competitors. And what's up with Italian/Brazilian fans roaring 'Yeaaaah!' when their team scores?!

The Ugly

• Passing is just too good. This was a major concern for me in 2011, and unfortunately you can still see FIFA 10-esque ping-pong passing. It might get better in longer matches, but that should not be used as an excuse since online matches aren't that long anyway. Flair passing also exists in abundance. This should be exclusive to certain players only.
  • Shooting is also a bit too good. Maybe I am too used to 2011's system which was quite hard and took a long time to get the hang of the body shape and the floating ball physics, which by no means I think they were realistic or fun, but I at the same time 2012's shooting system is way too good. You can almost shoot from any situation with a lot of them ending up at least on target. Add this to terrible goalkeeping and I'm already seeing basketball-like scorelines.
  • Defender awareness could be improved a lot. It was quite a big deal in 2011 and unfortunately it is still there despite some improvements. I have witnessed there are still times where the defender fails to intercept or clear a ball he would have in real life, or at times the awareness of the player of the ball going out of play (throw-in, corner, goal kick and even goal-line) is still pretty much non existent. I have lost count of the number of own goals conceded and scored already in the demo. On the other hand, I have seen some defenders trying to intercept balls that they really can't touch by sliding, therefore opening up space for the attackers and before the defender can get up it is already too late.
  • Goalkeepers are in a very bad state right now, however Konami have promised to improve them big time until release so hopefully this won't be a major concern.
  • Unfortunately still a lot of weird, absurd and ugly animations. Also need more variety in animations as they are currently very limited and for example, don't give you a good impression how a ball is hit at all. What happened to those PES 2010 mocaps?

Last edited:
Here are my impressions, please feel free to comment:

The animations thing is honest to god killing me ATM. It really infuriates me how they've managed to get over the uncanny valley that was PES 10/11 and yet we have this:

pes20122011082404200737.png
It sticks out like nobodies business when you have a half-assed handmade animation and a proper motion captured one.

I can deal with the passing animations, since the majority look pretty good and the outside of the foot passes that are registered wrongly are in the minority compared to PES 11.

Have managed a couple matches now, and mostly pretty pleased, though a few odditites that may have been brought up:

Playing with United, spotted Chicarito of all people defending in my box. What the hell is he doing back there?

I'm great at beating one player with say, Nani, but it's useless because he then gets chased back down a second later. Maybe it's just really fast fullbacks?

The AI midfielders are great at swarming wingers. Which at first is annoying, but they leave tons of space, which allows too many free shots from the middle, imo.

I still can't defend crosses/ corners. The switching doesn't get me to the right defender and the AI have scored against me in each match by running down the wing, looping the ball in and their striker getting a header over my defender. Any advice?

Keepers suck blah blah. We know.

Other than that, so many nice things. Feels so much more fluid, loving it when I have hte ball, and hating being bad at defending. Which is wonderful.

This game is special.

Don't know how many tins of polish Konami went through putting this together, but it REALLY shows. Whilst everyone's banged on about the AI, and given all the 'meh' videos I've watched, I actually didn't expect the game to look this good. Pitch looks fantastic, as do the character models, and everyone on it moves very smoothly. Started off on Professional, chalked up two wins off the bat: Milan v Napoli 1-0 (JUST managed to score, defence was crazy hard to break down) and Porto v United 3-1.

- Hulk is a beast, and I can really see the defence vs dribbling battle being a LOT of fun this year, just with how responsive it is when you’re on the ball, and how sound technically (for the most part) the defence is.Everything everyone’s said about the AI in a positive light is spot on, everyone’s where they need to be, and moving all the time, running forwards, stepping back, sitting right on the defender or coming forwards. Not had time to play with the tactical settings, but given the depth of the Active AI, this game could be a tinkerer’s dream. Like to have a good go with that later.

- Agree with everyone about the refs, they’re not complete dodos this year. On the ball it seems, not just with X button tackles but even picking you up for bad pushes, (from front and back). Advantage rule looking good. No complaints there.

- Catch up bug seems mostly gone from what I've seen, had to snicker a bit running half the length of the pitch with Rooney running his guts out the whole way trying to catch up.

- The ball seems to have a good weight to it now, did have a couple of very floaty soft shots but I’m gonna chalk that up to contextual stuff. Also deflections seem to move erratically, in a natural sense, leading to chasing balls down. Was impressed with that.

- Needing to defend rather than simply tackle is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

- Goalkeepers are horrendous. Seems if you can get a decent shot on target from outside the box, good chance it’s going in. A lot of the time they take too long to react to the danger and when they do, it’s just plays through whatever “making the save” animation fits. I’m not saying they need to react sooner, but some of that time it takes to react REALLY needs to be filled with some minor positioning animation. They're clueless at the moment.

- One other thing, and I don't know if it's just me, but Napoli seem kinda supercharged. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE. Took them on, Top Player. In short, had my ass handed to me by Cavani. Repeatedly. Either that Napoli owner saying he’s worth 100 million is spot on, or someone at Konami took it to heart.

So that’s first impressions, see how we go with it later. Real football time ;)

i think i like the irection that seabass n team are heading with football(pes)
my most outstanding feature:ball physics-much improved,as well as player collisions-reactions very good

i too like the way the ball bobbles across the pitch,nice

...Ps3 version has still GOAL POST not "antialiased"
and in daylight refree missing arms in his own shadow...PC version is definitely so far better

If you use super cancel Players are still robotic and the ball will bounce on them like they are a piece of wood

Played around 2hrs of the demo, and imo it's looking good... the passing is a bit too assisted, and I think another thing was me not being used to the PS3 pad etc so pulling off simple things was quite difficult. I'll really be able to judge it once the 360 demo is out.

Also, the keepers are SHOCKING. and I mean SHOCKING, get a shot on target and 99% it's in, they need work real real bad.

Can't you adjust the passing assistance in the settings? I'm sure I saw an option somewhere... would that help the problem people are having with it?

Scored a beauty with Berba today: Nani put a lobbed pass into Berba's feet but he was being marked very tighly. In one smooth motion he posts up on the defender while trapping the ball, then turns and shoots with the outside of his boot. The ball curls beautifully around the keepers outstretched finger tips and hits the back of the net. :SHOCK:

This sort of thing is not even possible in PES 2011.

I thought I was watching a champion's league match :SMUG:

I think I'll settle on -1 as my speed setting. Just slow enough to not feel frantic and gives me time to pick out passes, not too slow that it feels sluggish. Just about the best speed I could hope for really.

I really hope the PS3 version is almost using placeholder graphics because they're currently worse than last year's. I don't know if this is because it's an early demo or what, but the player models in the game itself (replays look fine, exactly like last year) look smaller, less detailed, pixelated and bordering on blurry. It's really odd. Goalposts too are really jaggy, in fact the whole game so far on PS3 looks like it's got worse jaggies than last year.

There are tons of good things about this game but I'm not convinced yet. It's certainly seeming harder, which is good, but the way the ball and players glide is a bit odd IMO.

I do however LOVE the new animations, and how it's more immediate. No more button lag, no more stumble animation (it's now a positive thing, it leads to your player stumbling through challenges), no more players automatically running the ball off the pitch despite telling them to do otherwise.

Also, I like the player switching, it's miles better than PES2011, both in how you do it manually, and how it handles player switching for you. Good stuff.

Through balls also seem fixed, no more of that arrowed, homing missile thing about them, which is great again.

A big 'if' for me at the moment is the dribbling though. It seems at the moment to be less technical than in 2011, you can't seem to get the subtlety with the directional stick as you could. In fact, whether you lightly move the stick or jam it hard in any direction, the players seem to take the same weight of touch which feels much worse to me. It doesn't feel as 'sim' like as PES2011 so that's my only major problem so far, which unfortunately for me is a biggie.

Other than that, -1 speed to me feels perfect, and the games feel well paced. I thought it was crazily easy at first, I scored within 20 seconds of me ever loading up the game, and went on to beat Man Utd, but then got my ass handed to me first 2-0 by Napoli, then 4-0 by Porto.......

Other than that it's enjoyable, yet to fully win me over though to be honest. But man, those graphics on PS3 need sorting. They look worse than in PES2011 so far. Hopefully it's just because it's an unfinished demo.

After two matches..

1. The speed is good, but players accelerate way too fast. Counts for both defenders and attackers. Players with the balls turn extremely fast and accelerate extremely fast.

2. Goalkeepers give easy rebounds..

Overall very very impressive already..

So far it looks like they fixed the constant off sides problem. Why won't Konami let you do anything on goal kicks other than play the ball to the short side with the goalie?

I really hope the PS3 version is almost using placeholder graphics because they're currently worse than last year's. I don't know if this is because it's an early demo or what, but the player models in the game itself (replays look fine, exactly like last year) look smaller, less detailed, pixelated and bordering on blurry. It's really odd. Goalposts too are really jaggy, in fact the whole game so far on PS3 looks like it's got worse jaggies than last year.

Glad it's not just me that noticed it. Frame rate in replays/ menus is also a bit off.

That better not be the case in full release, because tbh some of the full pitch graphics are embarrassingly bad for a PS3 game at the moment.

Wow defending is so hard, whenever I try to anticipate the AI doing a move so I can intercept it, they do the exact opposite, its like they're reading my mind lol :D

Played one game and love it. Three things though - player switching isn't quick enough, some goalie saves need fixing (especially central ones) and some passes seem a little slow.

Loving the graphics, lighting and animations though.

Glad it's not just me that noticed it. Frame rate in replays/ menus is also a bit off.

That better not be the case in full release, because tbh some of the full pitch graphics are embarrassingly bad for a PS3 game at the moment.

Yeah they are, I don't imagine most will mention it because currently it's the changes in gameplay most people are of course discussing, but I really, really hope this is because it's an old demo.

The lack of resolution in the graphics look like PS3 games from first year of release, which isn't good at all.

After two matches..

1. The speed is good, but players accelerate way too fast. Counts for both defenders and attackers. Players with the balls turn extremely fast and accelerate extremely fast.

2. Goalkeepers give easy rebounds..

Overall very very impressive already..

Hah, that's new, for the last couple of days people have been complaining people don't have enough acceleration.

Back
Top Bottom