PES/WE 2012 Demo Thread

First impressions are really good,

Started off with giving 11' a couple of games and then went to 12, one thing which I'll get of my chest, I've had about 5-6 games and I still haven't scored which means I haven't really encountered anything THAT bad about the keepers but its obvious they look wobbly Forlan like pressure mounting whenever I play it now though :((

Dribbling I think is pretty awesome at times with slightly dodgy at others, Robinho for example isn't that good a dribbler and is now "more" free in PES than his FIFA counterpart, I think this is a statistical problem rather than the game though.

Defending is easily the best in a football to date, along with the dribbling both combined make both facets just amazing to WATCH (Yeah! it visually looks pretty good animation wise) and play.

The passing is good (not great not bad) sometimes the pass is going at a snail pace, other times it goes somewhere wrong other times its great but it seems quite inconsistent with what your going to get, hopefully that's been improved upon by release.

The AI is excellent in all fields bar the one were a player will run away from a pass, but in terms of movement offensively, or defensive positioning and covering I really don't have much of a fault with it.

Overall I think the demo falls in the "very good" category and listening to the WENB podcast their seem to think the demo was below average so im quietly excited about the prospect of what's to come.

I do think the game will easily last 12 months for me though, if they released the demo with some polish + improved keepers I would think its good game. So hopefully I am blown away when the full release arrives.

That Sertanisen guy on the #LLI twitter feed is exactly the type of guy that gets the game ruined before it gets finalised. :MAD:

Sertanisen said:
@JonMurphy_PES love how fluid is game but yet it's very very slow. dont think players accelerate fast/good enough. #LLI

Sertanisen said:
@JonMurphy_PES referees call foul way too much. gk's and defence playershave too many bugs. gk's are too weak. #LLI

Noooooooooooo. haha.

(ok, the keeper comment is fair)

That Sertanisen guy on the #LLI twitter feed is exactly the type of guy that gets the game ruined before it gets finalised. :MAD:

Oh no not this again. somebody with Twitter should tell him that the refs are fine and thats the way the hardcore want it.FFS!

You're wrong
Last years PS3 version was exaclty the same, no graphics difference between PES2011 demo and PES2011 final game...So I guess it will be the same this year too

+1

don't believe the demo compression bullshit.
it will look the same unfortunately. PS3 version looks very poor, especially on night matches.

Graphically it looks the same as PES2011. PES 2010 was sharp though.

Adam mentioned, that the gfx will be much better :)
Let's wait and see.:))

Jon Murphy tweeted that he's listening to comments about the game on #LLI

I hope they're not looking for last minute changes to the core of gameplay, we know already that keepers/shooting are going to be fixed for next demo, we also know that Active AI in demo is stripped version of it

I would go ballistic if they catered to twitter crowd ("players too slow!" "pressure doesn't work!")

Hi chaps,

Brief first impressions based on 1 game, professional Porto v AC Milan -1.

Love the way that you are made to knock the ball around looking for openings and have to say that the support offered by your teammates really is quite something.

Attacking AI really is something else. Scored first against run of play with Hulk, then milan stepped up a gear to score 3, but unlike in previous versions each goal was well crafted rather than bad defending of players going awol.

Zlatan notched the second after seedorf had a shot from the edge of the box, the ball hit one of my defenders then another and fell to the big swede by edge of 6 yard box. He backheeled the ball past my keeper! outrageous stuff but excatly the sort of thing he woudl do in such circumstances.

Pato got the 3rd with a chip over helton from 30 yards out as my Cbs went to close him down. Totally unexpcted but when i looked at replay, keeper had advanced too far and hed obv spotted it.

Loving it so far....

But does anyone else agree that the pace of the game has been totally muffed? Much too fast, but with the ball moving too slow (especially in the air)? It's such a massive issue to me, I can't believe it's not the main topic of conversation here, especially since so many people assured us that no, in fact the pace is fine, even slower than PES2011. It's bloody not you know, unless you're talking about aerial passes, which travel so slowly that the ball should really be dropping from the sky like a stone. The actual speed of play, once you or the CPU start dribbling or one-touch passing, is absurdly fast, and actually spoils the experience. Just me?

I definitely agree with you here. The game certainly feels faster than 2011 and also faster than real life. I almost feel like there is not enough midfield play for my liking and a lot of games can become end to end counter attacks. Other than that, ball speed is low. You can see that easily when you play long balls. There is far too much spin on the ball really, when sometimes you just want to play a quick low cross (FIFA 11 anyone?).

Don't agree with your passing argument though. I think a large number of players can pull one touch or flair passes they would never try in real life. Same thing can be said regarding ball control where the majority of players are quite comfortable when moving the ball in pretty tight spaces.

Yeah, I've been almost all negative so far because of my issues with speed of movement, but let's be honest here - there's some truly gorgeous stuff in PES2012.

Scored a lovely curler with Rooney which bobbled round the keeper's outstretched hand - yes, the shot moved too slowly and the keeper looked terrible, but the way the ball curled, and even more so the way it travelled just above the ground then bounced once on its way in... great. Much better than the equivalent goal in PES2011.

Scored another beauty with Ganso, flicking it past a defender with the outside of a raised boot, using the momentum and a burst of acceleration to beat the second defender, then wellying it into the top corner on the bounce... you can do that in PES2011, but again, it looked and felt so much nicer.

I know passing isn't the finished article, but I do like the way you can pass the ball around the edge of the box, keeping the defence pinned back, but unlike in 2011 you're always on a knife-edge. In that game the only way you could lose the ball once you had them pinned back like this was to be charged down by a nostril-steaming defender, or to get frustrated by the lack of off-the-ball movement and have to send a hopeful clipped ball into the mixer, which was headed clear (or wasn't, randomly). In 2012, the player runs mean that there's real danger here for the defending team, but you have to stay alert as the attacking side because its easy to play a loose pass, have it intercepted and get caught on the counter. Defenders don't just mark their man and watch you stroke the ball around impotently, or come running at you like a maddened rhino - they block off your options and wait for you to make a mistake, and if you're not careful you will make that mistake, and pay for it.

Defending isn't as great as some people are making it sound, but the importance of timing is very, very obvious. The exact same tackle which stabs the ball away can, if you do it a split-second later, give away a dangerous foul... and on the replay, what you see makes visual sense. Less of the players blundering into each other thing which blighted PES2011. I love the way they try to block shots, too. They don't just stand there like the fucking Terminator, not even flinching as a piledriving shot rebounds off their face (although this does happen in the wall at free kicks), they half turn their back on the ball and stick out a leg, or lunge in from the side with an outstretched foot, just as you'd expect to happen in real life.

Some lovely animations for fouls too. The old "sitting position" fall is still in, sadly - the one where you clip someone's heels from behind and they fly up in the air like a cartoon character who's been butted over a five-bar gate by a charging bull (they may as well be holding their arse and shouting "ooyah!") - but there are some fabulous new ones too, realistic falls and rolls which are easily at FIFA level, probably better.

Here's a few more of the tackling issues that happen ALL THE TIME.

First video - ouch.

If anyone's in any doubt that there's a force field in operation when a good player is dribbling, they need to take a look at this screenshot:

The Porto player doesn't alter the direction of his run, and yet he comes out of this situation with the ball, without so much as a stumble. The Man United player just magically disappears back out of his way.

I think the final version is almost or even already finished. The niggles you see in the demo has already been anticipated. If there is something missing, they may prepare for early patches. :SMUG:

If they don't solve the manual passes I'm not buying the game. After playing fifa in full manual I can't go back to where the pass goes where the cpu wants, I just can't

To whoever created a UK account on their PS3 to get the demo, or anyone who lives in the UK:

What the hell do I put for Street Adress/CIty/(State/Province)/ Postal code?

Last edited:
yeah put it back on when i got in work and for the first time ive noticed how scripted the passing is even on manual.

disappointing.

Defending isn't as great as some people are making it sound, but the importance of timing is very, very obvious. The exact same tackle which stabs the ball away can, if you do it a split-second later, give away a dangerous foul... and on the replay, what you see makes visual sense. Less of the players blundering into each other thing which blighted PES2011. I love the way they try to block shots, too. They don't just stand there like the fucking Terminator, not even flinching as a piledriving shot rebounds off their face (although this does happen in the wall at free kicks), they half turn their back on the ball and stick out a leg, or lunge in from the side with an outstretched foot, just as you'd expect to happen in real life.

I don't really interpret anyone's posts as suggesting the current defensive model is to be hyped, but more that it is a first step in transitioning defense from the long broken stereotype that it has been in football games.

I think it needs work, but moreso, I think it will take users some time to transition their thinking. The smoother that transition can become, the more enjoyment everyone will get from the game.

:CONFUSE::CONFUSE:
663ee52306c0bb35f069c1d5e7b4e93c2a10459a.png

dc1520db1ade4e7d08e96e5df524e1183ee2fe42.png

As usual the high has faded and more issues are coming to light. Animation transitions need to be slowed down for balance sake.

Back
Top Bottom