PES/WE 2012 Demo Thread

Pretty sure everyone in the country with an internet connection is downloading this thing.

So. Slow.

*dies*

Oh and off-topic, but for anyone curious what EA's effort is going to play like this year, NHL 12 is now up on the PlayStation Store too ;)

Ok, just played a game of the UK demo.

Wow, what a difference. It's like the WE/PES situation from PS2 days reversed.

Much much smoother and responsive. Gonna give it a few more games and see how it goes.

Keepers

Huge problem. I know Konami know about this, and everyone seems to think the problem will be fixed in time for the real game...

However, i don't feel this to be the case. The main problem for me lies with the actual animations. Goalkeeping animations are very important because when done correctly, they can make a goal or a save look jaw-dropping. When done incorrectly, they can take away the pleasure of scoring a goal....and let's face it, this should be the most fun and important aspect of the game.

Goalkeepers should not, i repeat should not, land on their bellies when they dive.

Goalkeepers should not have trouble saving shots which are literally an inch away from their bodies, bang in the centre of the goal.

Goalkeepers should look at the ball when trying to save a shot. Sometimes they will make a full stretch attempt at saving a shot, with their heads facing forwards, with their bodies as stiff as a board. This is less of an issue than the previous two, but it still takes the shine off a good goal.

This is of course without going into all the known problems with keepers turning into David de Gea on a bad day.

I agree completely. Half the time it feels like the mistake was made simply because the GK doesn't have the animation to save the shot or deal with it. They don't have side stepping animations to position themselves for shots and that's absolutely criminal/laughable at current. They also seem to so bad at saving shots that go in specific areas, notably those that hit their body or those that go just past their body at waist height. It simply seems that Konami haven't put in the animations for keepers to deal with these shots so they don't deal with them, their arms don't actually bother to move to save the ball but instead they move as if they're trying to save the ball as if it was headed in a different area.

Didn't we see this in PES 2011 sometimes? One example i noticed was when a goalkeeper would dive too far and go over the ball because he didn't seem to have an animation that allowed him to dive at a shorter length based on his position when he attemped to dive.

I know the demo is an early code and supposedly the keepers are better but i have absolutely no idea why keepers positoning themselves for shots wasn't a primary aspect Konami tried to get right early on. Seems to me like one of the biggest things. I attribute most of the keeper problems to this. The amount of times i've simply seen a keeper dive for a shot going in the corner instead of shimmying over that way first (despite him having enough time to do so) is horrible. They stand still and dive down and of course that means they probably won't get the ball unless they happen to be near to that corner.

Last edited:
Pretty sure everyone in the country with an internet connection is downloading this thing.

So. Slow.

*dies*

Oh and off-topic, but for anyone curious what EA's effort is going to play like this year, NHL 12 is now up on the PlayStation Store too ;)

Mine was going full speed and was supposed to be done in 11 mins. Back to check thinking its done and its still on 24% :II

Stay away from those premiums Jim. How was your experience with Porto and Napoli? Also see Hulk, who has the Explosive Acceleration stat and can perform those high speed turns.

For some reason the PES Demo feels alot better and tougher than the WE Demo. Also, I cant for the life of me seem to pull off the Chip Shot ? :CONFUSE:

I agree completely. Half the time it feels like the mistake was made simply because the GK doesn't have the animation to save the shot or deal with it. They don't have side stepping animations to position themselves for shots and that's absolutely criminal/laughable at current.

The amount of times i've simply seen a keeper dive for a shot going in the corner instead of shimmying over that way first (despite him having enough time to do so) is horrible. They stand still and dive down and of course that means they probably won't get the ball unless they happen to be near to that corner.

Spot on. It's frustrating that most of the goals I'm conceding are due to the spastic keepers. The bold text is what really irks me, as it was glaringly obvious in PES 2011. Keepers don't step off/leap when attempting saves, which results in easy goals. Instead, they fall over on their side as if they're a cardboard cutout of their real life counterpart!

Came across this on YouTube.
YouTube - Еще 2 бага PES 2012 DEMO #1.avi
Why on earth would a keeper dive near post (he might as well be off the pitch) in that situation? Hopefully this is sorted out.

On the topic of keepers, why are their controls even more restricted than last year? You can literally only move in a forward line, you can't position yourself elsewhere in the box, step backwards or even stop if I remember correctly. Am I missing something?

The PES demo is on another level.

They just need to adjust the passing ball speed a bit and the off the ball movement and the game would be on the right track.

I still don't see any diagonal runs, unfortunately.

Wow, this demo is ridiculously good. I just got absolutely murdered by Napoli playing as FC Porto. I shat my pants every time Lavezzi and Cavani got the ball because I can't defend to save my life and they'd just tear me apart again and again which I have never seen before in 15 years of playing football games.

Only played a few games so far but boy am I enjoying this after a year of nothing (disliked both FIFA 11 and PES 11). Individuality is superb and even better than last year: it was mostly about technical players then, but I get the impression physical monsters are now just as useful as their smaller counterparts. The advantage-rule actually works, the AI are varied and unpredictable, dribbling/passing/scoring goals is fun, it goes on and on. Of course it could be the new-factor that's making me enjoy this so much but I'm certain it's the most fun I've had in a football game since FIFA 08.

Only thing I dislike so far are the woeful goalkeepers, for reasons others have already explained very eloquently. I'm sure I'll find more but considering this is more or less a very early build, I'm genuinely impressed. There might be some life to offline-football games after all.

Wow, this demo is ridiculously good. I just got absolutely murdered by Napoli playing as FC Porto. I shat my pants every time Lavezzi and Cavani got the ball because I can't defend to save my life and they'd just tear me apart again and again which I have never seen before in 15 years of playing football games.

Only played a few games so far but boy am I enjoying this after a year of nothing (disliked both FIFA 11 and PES 11). Individuality is superb and even better than last year: it was mostly about technical players then, but I get the impression physical monsters are now just as useful as their smaller counterparts. The advantage-rule actually works, the AI are varied and unpredictable, dribbling/passing/scoring goals is fun, it goes on and on. Of course it could be the new-factor that's making me enjoy this so much but I'm certain it's the most fun I've had in a football game since FIFA 08.

Only thing I dislike so far are the woeful goalkeepers, for reasons others have already explained very eloquently. I'm sure I'll find more but considering this is more or less a very early build, I'm genuinely impressed. There might be some life to offline-football games after all.

That post just put me a stupid smile on my face :COOL:

is there anyway to download the ps3 demo and put on a disc like the xbox demos.

i don't want to update the firmware on my ps3 to just connect to download this.

Is the right stick control a second player in this demo? I can't seem to work out what your supposed to do. I looked at the button list and it makes it sound complicated.

Mine was going full speed and was supposed to be done in 11 mins. Back to check thinking its done and its still on 24% :II

Yep, pretty much. Over two hours it took for me, and now there's the trailer to get through. I just want to play, dammit!

Is the right stick control a second player in this demo? I can't seem to work out what your supposed to do. I looked at the button list and it makes it sound complicated.

It is, the default setting is automatic with each you can only trigger runs (you point to the player and then click the stick). You'll have to change it to manual somewhere in the settings for you to have full control over the second player.

Ok heres my two penneth worth.

This is what last years game should have been. The controls are a lot tighter, the camera angle is better (pitchside) the passing is a lot less scripted both in feel and look. The players animate a lot better too. All in all its a pretty playable game. if this had been out last year i think this years would have been brilliant.

Theres still lots of annoyances though.

The goalkeepers are still utter tosh. I played several matches and in all but one the keeper let in a soft goal which is pretty annoying.

Also the old defender catching up with your striker is still in there, couldnt seem to outs strip anyone at all, even if the opposition player had fell over or slid in the tackle, they always recovered ground quickly.

The a.i pressure is insane. Against Napoli i was forced to play one touch constantly to keep possesion. People moaned about that in fifa, so theres no excuse here. I had Robinho running down the wing surrounded by four men. Theres no time on the ball at all.

The shooting is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes its too floaty, sometimes just right.

I think there should be a zoom option for pitchside, its a bit too far out for me.

Tackling is hit and miss and the a.i seems to read your attempts easily, wheres i cant seem to go past a man.

I think all in all its a decent alternative but not a fifa beater for me. Ill see what the second demo is like, but it is an improvement on last year.

It soon wears off mate. The cpu has an uncanny knack of avoiding tackles, a bit too much so.

Stay away from those premiums Jim. How was your experience with Porto and Napoli? Also see Hulk, who has the Explosive Acceleration stat and can perform those high speed turns.

Sorry TC somehow missed this, yeah it was a good game, the PES demo seems miles better though. Loving the Refs, they get so much spot on, miss the odd thing, and they give some 50/50's, and also let some go. Class.

People complaint about AI pressure, I don't see it at all. I get plenty of time on the ball, especially compared to FIFA 11 where you had one second before being closed down.

I honestly feel like confronting whoever said the A.I isn't "hard at all". BULLSHIT. Full manual and Top Player is a nightmare.

Since the A.I in this current gen doesn't have the capacity to outwit human opponents, I personally don't mind that the A.I have an advantage when it comes to attacking, since you're hopeless as to whether your defender will actually get his foot in, or be left in the dust with a red face after a spectacular take off from the attacker.

People complaint about AI pressure, I don't see it at all. I get plenty of time on the ball, especially compared to FIFA 11 where you had one second before being closed down.

Same here Dags. I even stop doing nothing sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom