PES 2019 Demo Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time there's a game like this (look at the World Cup), someone posts "if that was PES people would go mad".

About once every three months or so, on average.

So those other 100+ top-flight games that aren't represented in that one game that was pretty special... They didn't happen?

You want to buy a football game where each match is an end-to-end, 4-2 thriller? Isn't that exactly what we all pan FIFA for? It never ceases to amaze me, the stuff that PES does now but it's fine because it's PES doing it...

Most of my games in demo end 0-0 as Im so fucking shit at it after being away from PES for a few years!
I see youve moved to the dark side young Davies..............haha.

Most of my games in demo end 0-0 as Im so fucking shit at it after being away from PES for a few years!
That's probably the demo time limit rather than anything else... That's my excuse...
I see youve moved to the dark side young Davies..............haha.
It's less that, and more "look how great PES 2019 is in so many ways - yet it's potentially ruined by tiki-taka AI and PA1 laser-passing - then we make Konami's excuses for them - this is why the game barely moves forward year after year - look at the Master League for God's sake - when will we stop".

You just need to enable to record the last "30 seconds" or so, in shadowplay.
When you score a nice goal, Just press the hotkey and your last 30 seconds will be saved.:))
Nice thing to do if you want to compile nice goals.

Hey sorry for the off-topic question but does shadowplay have a big impact on fps? I have 2018 running really nice right now but looking for something similair to Ps4 shareplay to save goals

That's probably the demo time limit rather than anything else... That's my excuse...

It's less that, and more "look how great PES 2019 is in so many ways - yet it's potentially ruined by tiki-taka AI and PA1 laser-passing - then we make Konami's excuses for them - this is why the game barely moves forward year after year - look at the Master League for God's sake - when will we stop".

Ill end up playing both as the boy buys fifa every year.
I hope they can both offer a good footie game in their own way.
As I said Im not a hardcore gamer now so I dont see (or look for) the flaws - i still see some - the obvious ones but as I only play here and there I can overlook them on both games.

Hey sorry for the off-topic question but does shadowplay have a big impact on fps? I have 2018 running really nice right now but looking for something similair to Ps4 shareplay to save goals
If you're running PES2018 constant 60fps right now , I don't think you'll notice any impact on your framerate.

just want to, yet again, congratulate my own shithousery, however in this case let me tell you I am absolutely LUCKY as hell. i actually recorded the entire game this time, but have the video for my 89th minute winner after defending all game. ludicrous, feel really sorry for the guy I played. (skip to 14:00)

The game itself was really good, so if you have a spare 15 mins definitely worth watching

The build up play, ball control/dribbling etc can all be fantastic in this game, definitely among the top football games of all time...

But it's let down by the completely boring and lifeless shooting mechanics and goalkeepers. I'm not sure how much I could play of this when despite all of the positives, no goals are really giving any satisfaction... Even long range goals, free kicks, audacious chips.

All too clean and clinical/predictable, the same power applied from the same angle/distance always seems to produce the same power and trajectory of shot. Okay, some are postage stamp accurate and fly in off the bar, others a fraction wide or too close to the keeper, but you never get the feeling you have made that perfect contact on any particular shot because it seems like that every time.

I want to see plenty of shots getting miskicked, sliced, blazed over, bobbling, rolling harmlessly to the keeper etc. so that when these wonder strikes do happen, they stand out so much more.

The build up play, ball control/dribbling etc can all be fantastic in this game, definitely among the top football games of all time...

But it's let down by the completely boring and lifeless shooting mechanics and goalkeepers. I'm not sure how much I could play of this when despite all of the positives, no goals are really giving any satisfaction... Even long range goals, free kicks, audacious chips.

All too clean and clinical/predictable, the same power applied from the same angle/distance always seems to produce the same power and trajectory of shot. Okay, some are postage stamp accurate and fly in off the bar, others a fraction wide or too close to the keeper, but you never get the feeling you have made that perfect contact on any particular shot because it seems like that every time.

I want to see plenty of shots getting miskicked, sliced, blazed over, bobbling, rolling harmlessly to the keeper etc. so that when these wonder strikes do happen, they stand out so much more.

Are you playing with manual controls?

Are you playing with manual controls?
I've tried it, and if anything it makes things worse. Manual shots seem to be even more consistently hit with extreme power and accuracy (towards where you aim)... I often use the L2 modifier to shoot even when on basic for this reason.

You can miss more often on manual because of a poor aim, but to me this doesn't seem to reflect a real footballing reason for missing a shot.

The difference between putting the ball 1m wide or into the corner of the net being down to whether you can hold your thumb at 153° instead of 155° doesn't sound like my idea of a football simulation to be honest.

Last edited:
Myself and Bitter Rivals have been playing full manual on the PC using the 3-2-1 Go technique to search for similar settings games. We have managed a few games this way even if I do sound like the guy from Gladiators.

The games are usually 0-0 or have the odd goal. Here are a couple...

Bitter with an Andy Roberston Right footer
https://clips.twitch.tv/SleepyDarkAubergineCorgiDerp

Me with a nice scissor kick
https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralInquisitiveWaterOneHand

Cant wait for the full game where hopefully we can play each other using a simpler method. Any other manual players give us a shout, though we have bought for PS4.

That shot animation is fantastic.
It really is. So satisfying to score.
Never had a feeling like this in PES 2018 with long shots or any PES for years TBH. That new 'winding up for the shot' animation is absolutely fantastic and it's always contextual at the right moments. I've hit them high/and or wide for the most part so this felt extra special.
Love the crack of the post as it hits too.

It really is. So satisfying to score.
Never had a feeling like this in PES 2018 with long shots or any PES for years TBH. That new 'winding up for the shot' animation is absolutely fantastic and it's always contextual at the right moments. I've hit them high/and or wide for the most part so this felt extra special.
Love the crack of the post as it hits too.

Nets do make a difference afterall.

Year after year the fundamental flaws in PES seem to continue to go overlooked by the devs. What's the point in having tactics in the game if many of them don't even function properly?

Year after year the fundamental flaws in PES seem to continue to go overlooked by the devs. What's the point in having tactics in the game if many of them don't even function properly?

This is just the demo though and only some tactics, we don't know how those teams will play and how tactics will be applied in Master League. If anything tactics in Pes 2018 worked too well even, they were so important players movements were overridden.

I remember @Matt10 talking about that.

I am still seeing players, when the ball is overturned, running back to a pre-set position when it does not make sense to do so. Not as bad as in 2018, but it is still there.

Do stats matter when playing manual passing ie PA-0
they do but not as much as PA1..for me if you want player individuality PA1 is the best without being totally assisted..now the dilemma is how much freedom you want? I have settled for PA1 with manual shooting as I get no satisfaction from shooting with the other methods. I can also always use the manual modifier which is true manual when needed.

A few goals from a match I just played;

First goal - This type of strike should be really satisfying, belting it over the keeper from near the centre circle, but it was just meh... As soon as I got the ball with the keeper in that position I knew it was a goal because of the way the shooting works. No suspense or surprise when it flew in whatsoever.

Second goal - I love the way you can shape the manual L2 long balls with that kind of curl, body positioning of the player and direction of the pass. Feels very natural and brings out some lovely ball physics.

Third goal - Showcases what I said previously about the manual shooting, and felt as lifeless as the first goal... In that kind of position, a manual shot charged that amount and aimed into the corner will always be rifled in very emphatically like this...

This is just the demo though and only some tactics, we don't know how those teams will play and how tactics will be applied in Master League. If anything tactics in Pes 2018 worked too well even, they were so important players movements were overridden.

I remember @Matt10 talking about that.

This is very true.

I did a CPU vs CPU play-through to do all the world cup tactics and costa rica got to the final becuase their formation was simply OP in the game.

I fully expected to be run down and barged off the ball, a nice surprise it didn't happen.
I have noticed that if the defenders are within touching distance though, no matter how bad their speed stat is, they can haul you in easily. You have to keep the gap to keep the ball.

Here's the auto tackling again. When it kicks in in a crowded area it's not uncommon to see 3-4 in a row.
This one happened in the box, I literally scored a goal by doing nothing. I've been joking for years how Pes is becoming an interactive Coach Mode, but it's slowly coming true.
In the box needs a lot of work. Add in all those moments when players refuse to clear or shoot the ball, you end up just watching things play out, and not actually playing.

Unfortunately, it's a bad programming.
The PROGRAM considered that Busquet already have the possession of the ball then you bumped into him.:BLEH:
This has been an issue for a lot of years now.

Reminds me a lot of this. What you see compared to what the game is deciding 'under the hood' can be a bit of a paradox.
I wish they'd nerf this Street Fighter stun animation. Use it for hard collisions etc, but ever time you lose the ball (no matter how far away it is) is annoying. Their version of balancing I suppose.

I fully expected to be run down and barged off the ball, a nice surprise it didn't happen.
I have noticed that if the defenders are within touching distance though, no matter how bad their speed stat is, they can haul you in easily. You have to keep the gap to keep the ball.

Here's the auto tackling again. When it kicks in in a crowded area it's not uncommon to see 3-4 in a row.
This one happened in the box, I literally scored a goal by doing nothing. I've been joking for years how Pes is becoming an interactive Coach Mode, but it's slowly coming true.
In the box needs a lot of work. Add in all those moments when players refuse to clear or shoot the ball, you end up just watching things play out, and not actually playing.

Reminds me a lot of this. What you see compared to what the game is deciding 'under the hood' can be a bit of a paradox.
I wish they'd nerf this Street Fighter stun animation. Use it for hard collisions etc, but ever time you lose the ball (no matter how far away it is) is annoying. Their version of balancing I suppose.

The stun animation wouldn't be so bad, if the tackles weren't so auto.

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on the defensive side of the game, so far everyone's been exploring the game when they have the ball. So how does it feel without the ball to you guys?

I've felt pretty jaded for a while now, but when you see the complexity of your input in previous games (where now every pass is perfect and every shot is a piledriver)... Frankly, it breaks my heart, as someone who spends a lot of their free time playing football games.

Scored this early against the COM on PA 1. If this was scored on the older games I'd have been outta my seat due to how difficult it would've been to do, and the rarity in which you'd see something like this.
Here I tapped the button 3 times, aimed in the general direction of goal, and went 'meh'. Surprised the game didn't make him overhead scissor kick it tbh :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom