PES 2019 Demo Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First impressions of this ... I love it.

more I play, the more cracks appear ... I am also a little bored already. It still hasnt got that ' magic ' of the old PES games like 3 and 5.

whats missing? I cant put finger on it. game feels ... I dont know. Lifeless.

maybe because its demo and short halves so wont write it off BUT worried now.

very worried.
It's the shooting for me. Scoring a goal in those old PES games was magic. I like this demo a lot but the shooting gives me blue balls.

Hmm here's a full manual video from PES13 (full manual). Looking back, it just feels there's something missing between animation transitions (quick turns), especially the weight transfer. Player also look stiff, standing straight, not a lot of crouching (no knees bending and no torso folding foward). Definitely no shielding. Direction-wise (ball control and dribble) it seems not very free. It almost looks like I'm playing on the d-pad (16 directions)? But I've always used the L-stick. It's like every touch was a factor of 1/16th angle.

Actually, 18 had something that's not very often mentioned: full body touch. It was one of the things they did well last year. I'm just suddenly reminded, because looking at the 13 vid, every touch on the ball is either head, chest, knee, or foot. It's kinda programmed so when the ball comes at you, it's one of those body parts that will make contact with the ball (preset animation will play). I hope they keep working on full body touch, it still needs work, we need first touch unpredictability (not just first touch error, but actually, first touch that hits you on the wrong body part).

To say I had a love/hate relationship with PES2018 would be somewhat of an understatement. The realistic pace of the game and the variety of available tactical options were offset by numerous frustrating exploits such as the spamming of lofted through balls, poor A.I, lifeless shooting, poor refereeing and a broken advantage rule to name but a few. With all this in mind I downloaded the PES2019 demo with an open mind and with that annual excitement most of us get from the release of a new PES title.

I am fortunate enough to own a PS4 Pro and 4K TV so I went in knowing that I was in for a treat in terms of graphical improvements and I’m glad to say I wasn’t disappointed. Konami have done a terrific job of recreating the look and feel inside a packed out stadium on match day, from the improved turf and rippling nets to the amazing lighting and roaring crowd, the whole package looks stunning. As much as visuals are important, the real test comes when the whistle blows, so down to the game itself.........

From years of experience I know that playing a new PES game can be a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Almost like a drug addiction, the initial high from the first few matches wears off, cracks start to appear, frustrations grow and I find myself playing more and more looking for that feeling I got from the first game so when this same old pattern started to immerge I wasn’t particularly surprised. I battled on through knowing that the PES learning curve can sometime be a cruel temptress and that it can take numerous matches before things start to click and the game starts to shine. So after 50 – 60 matches here are my thoughts on the PES2019 demo:

IMPROVED

Game Speed – For me the pace and flow of the game is spot on when played on PA1. I have seen much quicker “ping-pong” games when played on PA2 or PA3 which look horrible but when staying clear of these two settings the game flows realistically.

Visuals – My main concern when it comes to PES is how the game looks and feels during a match. How menus look is of no real importance to me so my opinions on visuals are purely based on in game experience. As mentioned above the improvements in graphics are there for all to see and I’m looking forward to seeing what Konami have done with their other licensed stadia.

The Advantage Rule – Last year refs would play advantage but couldn’t recognise when to bring play back for the free kick. This led to many examples of my player being fouled, advantage played but the opposition immediately winning the ball back. I’m glad to say I have not had a single issue with this in the demo and overall I’m very happy with the referees in general.

Lofted Through Balls – This was a major issue for me last year (see vid below)

and, although still happening in the demo, it is to a much lesser extent (so far) and I’m finding when it does happen that I’m able to control my defender in time and intercept or at least get into a position where I can disrupt the attacking player.

Headers – Floaty/Soft headers were an issue last year but I’m seeing a variety of low, powerful and lofted headers in my matches to date.

Finesse Shots – Last years awkward looking slow motion finesse shots have been improved this year. I feel they are still a little under powered but definitely an improvement on last year

Shooting - Another bugbear of mine from last year was the lack of variety and staleness of shooting and type of goals you could score. I feel this has been addressed in part in the demo and I do see a wider variety of goals happening (see vids below)

NEEDS IMPROVING

Shooting – As well as the improvements mentioned above, I also have issues with the archaic standard shooting system which has existed in PES since the dawn of time (For me, advanced shooting is not the answer and is certainly not used by the masses). The power bar being directly related to the height in which the shot is hit drastically limits the amount of shot types a player can execute. I want the ability to hit a low powerful driven shot (see vid below)

At 13:25

but, using the current system, I need to tap the shoot button resulting in a less than satisfying and occasionally soft low shot. In some cases when trying a low driven shot from inside the box my player will use the inside of his foot for the shot (see vid below)

In my opinion my player should never shoot with the inside of his foot unless I hold the Finesse Shot modifier button. I believe FIFA had the right idea with the second press of the shoot button for a low shot and I would love for this to be implemented into PES in some form for both standard shots and finesse shots. This will open up new possibilities for shooting if done correctly. If I remember rightly, I believe this used to be done using the triangle button in PES for both shots and headers but I’ve no idea why it was removed.

Online Stability – Because of the reliance of timing and small movements of the sticks in PES, the enjoyment of online games hinges on the reliance of the network connection between the 2 players. I have gone from a silky smooth game to an utter lag fest on numerous occasions regardless of which level I set the match up on (I always use level 5). I rarely have this issue with any other game so I can only presume the issue is at Konami’s end.

Goalkeepers (1v1) - Keepers seem to be rooted to their goal line on 1v1 situations. I'd like to see them leaving their line and trying to close down the angle for the attacking player. To do this, the chipped shot would need to be looked at because it is unrealistically easy to lob the keeper in the demo. It is actually a difficult skill to perform in real life and should be even harder to pull off when sprinting. Another issue with 1v1 situations is that the keeper just stands there when using the fake shot to "round" him, leaving a simple tap into the empty net. The keeper should at least make some kind of attempt, like a dive in the direction of the fake.

Skill Moves
– The animations for skill moves needs to be sped up. In their current state I’m finding that using these slow motion skill moves gives the defender an advantage as my player’s momentum seems to be slower than that of the recovering defender, leaving him in a position to dispossess my player more often than not.

Sprint Double Tap – For me, using the double tap of the sprint button should allow my player to burst away from a chasing defender (presuming stats and stamina allow) however there appears to be little or no effect when using this skill, in fact in some cases I’m coming across slight micro pauses when double tapping causing my player to loses momentum, allowing the defender to make up ground (see vid below)

In other cases double tapping sprint does nothing at all. Perhaps this is a “scripting” issue or the player form coming into effect? Either way it’s an issue for me. I’d like to see the “knock ons” being hit a bit further out of my player’s feet and the ability to slightly change direction without slow downs.

Goal Keeper Dives – As much as goal keepers have been improved in recent years there is still the on-going issue of the superman hovering diving animation. It just looks horrible and jarringly unrealistic.

Super Cancel – Anyone who has been playing PES for years knows the importance of being able to use Super Cancel to break a player off the “rails” and out of his automatic run. As much as this is still possible in PES, I’m noticing a slight loss in momentum whenever I use this function which slows my player down

Scissor Kicks – These happen too frequently in the demo. Not realistic

Off The Ball Control (Set Pieces) – My online opponent should not be able to see which player I’m controlling “off the ball”. This ruins the element of surprise.

Contextual Actions – I’m a big believer in the user having as much control over gameplay elements as is realistically possible and to this end I believe Konami are making a few errors.

Shielding of the ball should be at the user’s discretion and a conscious decision in the same way playing a pass is. I can’t trust my player to shield the ball when I want as it just seems to happen at random times. I’ve seen Giroud holding off Pique with relative ease yet making no attempt to shield the ball from smaller defenders and being robbed of possession. From my experience there is an unrealistically high success rate of tackles from behind the player by simply holding down the X or square button.

Shooting Styles should also be decided by the user, not randomly by the A.I. If I want to head the ball instead of volley then I should be able to. If I want to hit a rising shot instead of a normal shot then I should be able to (presuming the player I’m controlling has the ability to perform it). These new shooting styles (dipping and rising shots) have been introduced yet after 50 – 60 games I’ve seen only one rising shot. Whether it be the introduction of a shooting modifier trigger or a press of a different button before the shot takes place I want to be able to decide what my player does.

On the flip side, my A.I teammate’s runs should be decided by the A.I and not triggered by my input. I shouldn’t have to flick the stick to tell my winger to make a one dimensional run forward. My team tactics and player I.D should work well enough to decide where and when my A.I team mates run to and in what direction. This would also enhance team I.D making every match different. Currently my teammates are far too static and don’t offer enough passing options.

Pressing – As touched on above, it’s far too easy to hold down square, X or both and win back possession. I’m all for using these buttons to hone in on or contain an opponent but the actual tackle should be down to the user to perform. This would make defending more of a skill and timing of the double tap to be crucial. This along with the user choosing to shield the ball would reduce the need to ping pong pass all over the pitch and remove the reliance on 1-2 passes to avoid being dispossessed.

Dribbling – Whilst dribbling with “superstar” players can be beautifully recreated in PES when timed correctly, the disparity between these top players and the lesser known team mates is too much in my opinion. We’re talking about other professional athletes here which are dumbed down to the point where they wouldn’t get a game with my local Sunday League team. Yes, I agree there needs to be a higher dribbling success rate when using the likes of Messi or Neymar but I’ve found it almost impossible to successfully take on a defender with anyone other than these cover stars. When only a handful of players can dribble past an opponent this is when we see the over reliance of 1-2s and ping pong passing we see in almost every PES video on YouTube making every match look and play the same way.

Corners/Crosses – There is no movement at all in the box by my A.I team mates when waiting for a corner or free kick into the box. It would be nice to see a bit of jostling for position.

When controlling a player off the ball, the cross is aimed at the player’s current position rather than into the area where he is running to. This leads to standing headers with little power. I’d like to see my player running onto a header from a corner/free kick

On the point above, it would be more realistic to see more than 2 players jumping for a cross as happens currently (even if it was just for aesthetic purposes)

A.I Positioning – I still feel the defensive lines need improved upon as strikers are still receiving passes to their feet pretty much un-opposed.

IN CONCLUSION

Despite the number of improvements I’d like to see in PES, I’m glad I stuck with the demo as I’m currently enjoying it more than I have any PES in recent years. I’m not naive enough to expect any of my suggestions to be improved upon before launch but hopefully the right people will see this review and some of my ideas could be looked at for future iterations of the franchise.

Unless the full release is drastically different to the demo, I’ll be taking another chance on PES and buying on release day.

I also love that despite you listed lots of improvements you would like to see you didn't go the "demo is trash" way. Balanced review,i'm waiting for your impressions of the final game to have a better idea of the eventual improvements (or worsenings).

Last edited:
Very nice shooting animation! It looks so powerful and perfectly suited for that kind of situation.
The player is coming in not directly straight in line to the goal but a little from above. So this little step, and still a little to the side when hitting the ball, results in this animation, imo.
That’s an example of what potential this game offers if you get off your “mind rails” while playing.
Me too, I most certainly would have struck this one in perfect line to the goal with the same animation we all saw x times. Because of mind memory. The basics are stuck in our head and to dominant. ;)

Beautiful goal and reminiscent the old PS2 days!! I love how the ball moves quick, fast, low and stays hit! - it doesn't slow down at all. These are the types of physics that should be possible for all shots, passes and crosses! For the most part, the ball physics are floaty and slow.

@stuartyd you've hit the nail on the head with your post. Especially regarding shooting, sprinting and dribbling.

I like your "Loss of momentum" video - that is a big gripe of mine. There is no need for such a heavy touch which is what slows down the player. It's the same thing when trying to receive a simple 5 yard simple pass - there's a weird animation where the receiving player takes a heavy touch, when the ball isn't even moving that fast to warrant such a touch. Needless to say, the defender recovers and steals the ball, and it's something I've noticed every game.

Compelling post by@stuartyd. Its 2019 and the game still feels technically primitive compared to PS2 PES, i say technically because the footballing philosophy was faithfully implemented in PS2 era. For eg. Its is much harder to get a whipping shot if you are in the periphery of the defender, yet, i have seen players whack the ball with their weak foot mid jostle in PES 2019. Here is a post from PES 6 guide on chip shot and how it related to player's stat.
shot.jpg

Also regarding shots, the height of the ball, the technique/accuracy stat dictated the trajectory of the shots/players choice to head, kick or perform acrobatic attempt (pes 6) while most of the shots in 2019 are still laser guided cannon (regardless of the variables).

perifery.jpg

Also in terms of dribbling, i think on full sprint, PES2019 does an awesome job but then again, touching on stuardyd's post on R1 double tap, its poorly implemented to a point where there is no meaning in beating defenders with the turn of pace when you lose momentum.

acc.jpg
And people often blame nostalgia for reminiscing old games. Above is just couple of examples on why they had so much replay value. Taking long shot, players lined up by taking few quick steps, goalies were much quicker, shots off the foot felts more realistic. PES 2019 is fun, but it would have been in league of their own if they even injected few of these philosophies. All i say is, bring Seabass back and give him the time and resources.

Edit: Sorry for the terrible format as i still struggle cutting down the resolution.

Last edited:
Some cool visuals that occurred whilst playing demo last night, illustrating some cool ball physics:
1. Multiple ricochet off post (3-4 touches I think.. but it goes in and bounces out) using FULL MANUAL SHOOTING, vs SUPERSTAR:

2. Crosses goal line, and spins out

Last edited:
Love some of the game's contextual animations in these mini highlights (PA1) makes it feel so organic and real. The Alba forced cross animation, the trademark Suarez dummy & run, smash off both the posts and crossbar strike. Some Messi magic, Suarez's off the ball movement + dink, Suarez's jump over low cross meant for Dembele, the Iniesta slow R2 shuffle n go to beat an 8 man online defence + in the last video I have part of a full match I enjoyed the tempo and drama of. Suarez's outside of the boot poke here is so like him too, looks great.

^^What shooting method are you using?
I am using Full Manual Shooting - in that clip where icardi smashes it against the post (goes in of the bar, ricochets' about 3 times off the post, and bounces out). The visuals, together with the fantastic off-the-woodwork-sound (new I think) and violent rumble on my dual shock gave this goal such a great feeling of satisfaction :)

I am using Full Manual Shooting - in that clip where icardi smashes it against the post (goes in of the bar, ricochets' about 3 times off the post, and bounces out). The visuals, together with the fantastic off-the-woodwork-sound (new I think) and violent rumble on my dual shock gave this goal such a great feeling of satisfaction :)

What is your opinion about manual crosses and manual headers. Do you manage to score with a header. I play many games yesterday and have that feeling that the receiver of manaul crosses not react. Sometimes the bar get yellow and nothing happens, but sometimes there is an reaction but very delayed. Maybe its the wrong timing but i doubt it.

Hmm here's a full manual video from PES13 (full manual). Looking back, it just feels there's something missing between animation transitions (quick turns), especially the weight transfer. Player also look stiff, standing straight, not a lot of crouching (no knees bending and no torso folding foward). Definitely no shielding. Direction-wise (ball control and dribble) it seems not very free. It almost looks like I'm playing on the d-pad (16 directions)? But I've always used the L-stick. It's like every touch was a factor of 1/16th angle.

Actually, 18 had something that's not very often mentioned: full body touch. It was one of the things they did well last year. I'm just suddenly reminded, because looking at the 13 vid, every touch on the ball is either head, chest, knee, or foot. It's kinda programmed so when the ball comes at you, it's one of those body parts that will make contact with the ball (preset animation will play). I hope they keep working on full body touch, it still needs work, we need first touch unpredictability (not just first touch error, but actually, first touch that hits you on the wrong body part).

Just going by the graphics, PES2013 had the best colour palette ever in a soccer game. Too bad it had some serious flaws i couldn´t get over with.

What is your opinion about manual crosses and manual headers. Do you manage to score with a header. I play many games yesterday and have that feeling that the receiver of manaul crosses not react. Sometimes the bar get yellow and nothing happens, but sometimes there is an reaction but very delayed. Maybe its the wrong timing but i doubt it.
playing the same way. last night i had a beautiful header from about 7 meter (after a manual high cross), down to the left side of the goal. ball droped on the pitch just before the goal line. what a beauty!! wish i had saved it, but i was playing a buddy at home (hes not into replay mode while playing matches).
but i will save more footage, like low hard manual shots or man. header after man. high cross... thing is. sad thing, i have to disable HDR for that (so u non hdr display guys can watch it to). and thats looks soooooo ugly (compared)! but i'll do... ;)

Same impression here. It´s the same as PES2018: With a defender standing close to you, the receiver doesn´t react most of the time. Ironically, if you use the low pass button, the receiver is attempting properly.

You can do a manual header if you are quite alone and no one is marking you, just by tapping the shoot button shortly.

I hope someone can "enlighten" me about the proper mechanics. But if they are any, it´s safe so say they are complete beyond logic.

Last edited:
No matter how much I play this, I just can't seem to get onboard with it. I thought 17 and even 18 was going in the right direction, but this seems a step backwards. So thats a three year cycle, this game really should be better.

My main gripes are with three things, Goalkeepers, shooting, sprint.

Goalkeepers...dear Lord, can someone put Konami out of their misery? Why can't they get keepers right? Whats wrong with them? Do they not watch football? Keepers need to be as organic as possible, as they use any part of the body to make a stop. Apart from my main complaint which is recycled animations form FOUR YEARS AGO, they still have annoyingly robotic and stiff dives. I hit a rocket shot from Mane yesterday and the keeper just jumped up and caught it and then flopped to the ground. It looked completely crap and scripted. Goalkeepers have been by and large a major problem for a while.

Shooting...wheres the variation? Everything is hard and fast. What about low bobbly shots? Daisy cutters? curlers? Theres a lack of variety. And don't get me started on heading...I haven't been able to, nor seen the CPU header at goal yet in about 25 games!

Pace....where is it? Ive got a super fast forward attack of Mane and Sarah and they can't outrun anyone! Not even lower class fullbacks. When you go clean through you can't sprint away. Its really, really frustrating.

All in all I don't think this will have enough to justify a full price purchase, and then Im not expecting the retail version to be tweaked for the better. Bloody depressing.

Same impression here. It´s the same as PES2018: With a defender standing close to you, the receiver doesn´t react most of the time. Ironically, if you use the low pass button, the receiver is attempting properly.

You can do a manual header if you are quite alone and no one is marking you, just by tapping the shoot button shortly.

I hope someone can "enlighten" me about the proper mechanics. But if they are any, it´s safe so say they are complete beyond logic.
Double tap shoot for manual headers ..seem to react faster
You need to use "though-ball" or "normal pass" for MANUAL header goals, if your player is marked.
Weird but true!
They will still kick the ball if too low.

Last edited:
You need to use "though-ball" or "normal pass" for MANUAL header goals, if your player is marked.
Weird but true!
They will still kick the ball if too low.

But that´s just an extreme workaround, you just get ultralight floating headers out of it which mostly float over the crossbar.

It´s a bug, not more not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom