PES 2019 Demo Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
they do but not as much as PA1..for me if you want player individuality PA1 is the best without being totally assisted..now the dilemma is how much freedom you want? I have settled for PA1 with manual shooting as I get no satisfaction from shooting with the other methods. I can also always use the manual modifier which is true manual when needed.

There is absolutely no way that Konami have a built in mechanism that distinguishes between player stats when the human player is using manual controls. Player stats do not matter.

Year after year the fundamental flaws in PES seem to continue to go overlooked by the devs. What's the point in having tactics in the game if many of them don't even function properly?

This is the most ridiculous video i have ever seen. A joke! Maybe he's trolling someone but honestly this is a joke!

The guy is complaining that there is little difference between the defensive lines and there actually is a difference but very subtle and i will explain.

You are NEVER going to see any difference in defensive lines pushed up to 10 or 1 when you set teams to 'ALL OUT DEFENCE' and 'CONSERVATIVE'! Why? Simple, its a massive contradiction! You set a team to play a high line but their mentallity is to drop back and cut passing lanes which guys behind the ball do the tackling?

ALL OUT DEFENCE makes every player and even the attackers to a lesser extent run back into their half as soon as they lose the ball, its automatic!

CONSERVATIVE makes teammates cut off passing lanes to prevent passes ahead while getting players behind the ball to run back and look to tackle so the defensive lines mentallity is essentially to go backwards towards their own goal.

The main difference in defensive line is if you set it to 1 they will happy all drop back into the penalty area once the opposition breaks the 30 meter line, if you set it to 10 they try their best to stay out the penalty area unless forced back there. Very subtle difference but i noticed this.

Anyway to sum up just how bad this video is, go ahead, try the same thing with the same settings in PES 2018 and viola the same thing will happen, carbon copy same thing! yet this guy says it was different in PES 2018. I honestly think hes trolling, i really do or looking for attention.

Only thing i can give to him is he clearly doesn't get that in 'coach mode' you have to control the teams defensive line manually using the D-PAD yes, it don't matter if the CPU is playing, your still manually in charge on hoe the line changes in game. Only if you do not select the team the CPU properly takes over and does it automatically. There is no proper 'Watch match' mode sadly.

Do stats matter when playing manual passing ie PA-0

For me definitely. A midfielder with 80+ passing be able to pass under preasure or in delicate situations...he can play long balls with more accurate. You know the arrow guide which you can turn on in settings?! Imagine this arrow move fast and slow. good passing players this arrow move slow and precise in close situations with defenders pulling your shirt or something like that. You are able to play a precise ball. Lower rated players this arrow you imagine moves very fast in mentioned situations and its difficult to push the arrow in that direction you want. For long balls i think with Iniesta you can play a deep long ball. The receiver can take it with one touch. Low rated players play long balls to long or in the back of the receiver. I hope you understand what im talking about.

The stun animation wouldn't be so bad, if the tackles weren't so auto.

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on the defensive side of the game, so far everyone's been exploring the game when they have the ball. So how does it feel without the ball to you guys?
Better than 2018, but still not great...

At least now your players will generally attempt to intercept the ball that's within their reach, last year the ball would often roll right past their feet and they'd ignore it, especially the CPU controlled players.

Same with first time clearances, your player actually responds so now you don't just chest the ball to the opponent or into your own goal when you're trying to clear away a cross.

With the default tactics at least, defensive positioning/marking is suspect. Often even when I'm a goal up with 10 mins to go, with the lowest ATK/DEF level set, the midfield will push too far up and will leave me 3v2 at the back on a counter attack...

Really enjoying the demo, but headers are still broken when manual shooting is turned on. It’s like the ball instantly turns into a helium balloon.

Are there any tricks/tips that I’m not aware of in regards to this?

Enjoyed these couple of moves in my last match involving cross-field manual passes, if only the headers had gone in! I think it would have done if I aimed near post on the first one, the cross was just a little overcooked on the second.

Last edited:
Compelling post by@stuartyd. Its 2019 and the game still feels technically primitive compared to PS2 PES, i say technically because the footballing philosophy was faithfully implemented in PS2 era. For eg. Its is much harder to get a whipping shot if you are in the periphery of the defender, yet, i have seen players whack the ball with their weak foot mid jostle in PES 2019. Here is a post from PES 6 guide on chip shot and how it related to player's stat.
View attachment 5596

Also regarding shots, the height of the ball, the technique/accuracy stat dictated the trajectory of the shots/players choice to head, kick or perform acrobatic attempt (pes 6) while most of the shots in 2019 are still laser guided cannon (regardless of the variables).

View attachment 5597

Also in terms of dribbling, i think on full sprint, PES2019 does an awesome job but then again, touching on stuardyd's post on R1 double tap, its poorly implemented to a point where there is no meaning in beating defenders with the turn of pace when you lose momentum.

View attachment 5598
And people often blame nostalgia for reminiscing old games. Above is just couple of examples on why they had so much replay value. Taking long shot, players lined up by taking few quick steps, goalies were much quicker, shots off the foot felts more realistic. PES 2019 is fun, but it would have been in league of their own if they even injected few of these philosophies. All i say is, bring Seabass back and give him the time and resources.

Edit: Sorry for the terrible format as i still struggle cutting down the resolution.
This post hit me so hard. Cant believe we're going backward from this.

This post hit me so hard. Cant believe we're going backward from this.

Same. I mean would it be really that difficult to implement the above and not break the game? PES was always so focused on stats and exclaiming it's difference between different players, it's what give it such variety and intrigue when signing players for your ML who who make a certain kind of difference depending on your objective.

This is the most ridiculous video i have ever seen. A joke! Maybe he's trolling someone but honestly this is a joke!

The guy is complaining that there is little difference between the defensive lines and there actually is a difference but very subtle and i will explain.

You are NEVER going to see any difference in defensive lines pushed up to 10 or 1 when you set teams to 'ALL OUT DEFENCE' and 'CONSERVATIVE'! Why? Simple, its a massive contradiction! You set a team to play a high line but their mentallity is to drop back and cut passing lanes which guys behind the ball do the tackling?

ALL OUT DEFENCE makes every player and even the attackers to a lesser extent run back into their half as soon as they lose the ball, its automatic!

CONSERVATIVE makes teammates cut off passing lanes to prevent passes ahead while getting players behind the ball to run back and look to tackle so the defensive lines mentallity is essentially to go backwards towards their own goal.

The main difference in defensive line is if you set it to 1 they will happy all drop back into the penalty area once the opposition breaks the 30 meter line, if you set it to 10 they try their best to stay out the penalty area unless forced back there. Very subtle difference but i noticed this.

Anyway to sum up just how bad this video is, go ahead, try the same thing with the same settings in PES 2018 and viola the same thing will happen, carbon copy same thing! yet this guy says it was different in PES 2018. I honestly think hes trolling, i really do or looking for attention.

Only thing i can give to him is he clearly doesn't get that in 'coach mode' you have to control the teams defensive line manually using the D-PAD yes, it don't matter if the CPU is playing, your still manually in charge on hoe the line changes in game. Only if you do not select the team the CPU properly takes over and does it automatically. There is no proper 'Watch match' mode sadly.
So many things overlapping each other. The tactical system needs tidying up/revamp. Its confusing for me at least

Same impression here. It´s the same as PES2018: With a defender standing close to you, the receiver doesn´t react most of the time. Ironically, if you use the low pass button, the receiver is attempting properly.

You can do a manual header if you are quite alone and no one is marking you, just by tapping the shoot button shortly.

I hope someone can "enlighten" me about the proper mechanics. But if they are any, it´s safe so say they are complete beyond logic.
I'm having more success with marked headers when:
I press the "shoot button" when the ball is already about 3-4meters away from my player, and I release "shoot button" when ball is near my player's head(1-2m away). Not too early, not too late.

I just started using manual shooting a few days ago, and I'm doing what I do in "basic" which is powering up early on marked headers.
My marked players has no reaction to the "shoot button" so I really thought that the marked headers are broken, and you literally need to press "pass/through-ball" buttons just to make your marked players jump.:D

Last edited:
Have to say no way I could expect demo to impress me so much. How can anyone say it's 2018.5, which I consider one of the worst PES games conserning gameplay and where i managed to finish maybe two games at most, its beyond me. Better in every aspect: tempo, weight, inertia, freedom. Team positioning is much improved, little space between the lines, forwards tracking back when team gets into defensive mentality etc. (playing on Professional, need to clarify). I applied Klashman's WC Last 16 tactics for France and Argentina and it just seemed like a small model of that game in June.

Not perfect of course, still too end-to-end, wish there was more patience in AI buildup, more ideas in the final third, first touch error as well as more diverse shooting. But even in all these I see improvement compared to the woeful predecessor.

Just hope full game remains like this, otherwise it would be painfull.

So many things overlapping each other. The tactical system needs tidying up/revamp. Its confusing for me at least
Completely agree, not only do the attacking and defensive tactical settings cancel each other out, the advanced instructions and att/def level do the same. It's a complete minefield

So can someone tell me where this visual fatigue shows up. If my opponents can just hold on to sprint, without any penalty, im screwed.
It's one of those new/old features that are not implemented properly.
I can say this for a lot of things in PES.

Played online properly for the first last night. First time I played online I only tried PA1 and it was horrible due to ping pong passing. Played about 12 games on manual passing last night and boy, what a difference. Had a great time with it! I had a respectable record of won 7, drew 3, lost 2. Was a variety of teams and one of the losses was when I was Palmeiras against Schalke and I forgot to change the kits, so both teams on my side looked the same! Unlike against ai, my goalkeepers were superb, making so many saves. The only flaw still present is the heading on goal. So many headers floating over or going wide on the occasions you do connect. I scored one header in all this games and conceded one headed goal. Hope it's just a case of you just needing someone with good heading stats. One poor guy headed against the crossbar then headed the rebound against the crossbar too.

Fingers crossed I can play against manual passers on My Club as not really played it much before. Makes such a difference and the games are far more tactical. Will mean I have something to go to if they don't fix the attacking ai and there always scoring every shot on target bug when I play Master League.

How easy was it to find manual passing matches on My Club in Pes 2018? I only tried a few times and couldn't find an opponent.

How easy was it to find manual passing matches on My Club in Pes 2018? I only tried a few times and couldn't find an opponent.

From my small experience, almost impossible. Online Divisions though is the place to be, quite easy to find other manual passers (shooting isn't filtered).

Yeah the contradictory instructions should be greyed out. Like gegen press with all out defense/conservative. False winger or wing rotation with a 442 diamond (no wingers). False 9 with multiple 9s. Attacking fullbacks (adv tactics) simultaneously given instructions to play defensive (adv tactics) etc.

PES 2013 > All football games in terms of gameplay
I'm re-playing some old PES games for the sake of it and I must admit that the PES games I ignored back then (basically 2012 and 2013) are indeed good games.
Still, I fine the PES 2012 AI a little less unpredictable/varied than the one in 2013. Could it be placebo?

Anyway, back on topic: the demo on Xbox One didn't really impress me, but I'm giving it a second chance on PC and, strangely, it feels better. I'm sure that this is placebo, but the AI looks more varied in the PC demo compared of what I saw playing with the Xbox One, in terms of chance building. Am I the only one noticing it?

In before "yes, you are, go get your head checked".

Last edited:
Is it just me or does something look "off" with these rockets, especially the Henderson one for example, it's like the camera is too slow to keep up with the shot, and it moves away from the goal too quickly. It reminds me of the camera movement on free kicks where you barely get to appreciate the ball hitting the back of the net. Just awful, I loathe these bizarre new camera movements.

Compare it to PES 5 for example (0:40)

You can see the full goal area before the ball hits the net and the camera zooms in slightly on the goal afterwards.

Some things I really hope they tweak for release.

1. Defender's ability to head the ball from opposing goal kicks/high balls. Currently it gets locked on to the striker of any height/ heading ability too often. Van Dijk losing headers regularly Vs Messi with his back to goal..... wouldn't happen.

2. Defender's awareness/reactions in the box. Too many instances of comedy scrambles & dispossession in the area due to some slowdown with animations/button inputs. They need to address this without speeding the game up somehow.

3. Attacking headers. Yes they've been toned down (and rightly so) but to an almost useless state. Even unmarked, strikers cannot head the ball with any conviction or purpose very often rendering wing play almost redundant.

4. Attacking A.i- goes without saying, we all know this, needs more variety.

5. Keeper's must be more reactive.

One thing I noticed, and of which I'm totally happy, is that finally (compared to PES 2014 to 2017 at least, haven't played that much 2018 to judge) players seem to be aware of the ball and seem to be willing to stick a leg out to intercept it if it happens that it travels in their surroundings. This leads to the CPU not being able anymore to string together 15 pinpoint passes (at least from what I've seen in the ten or so matches I played) and with me not being able to put together three of them in a row anymore. Hooray!

Yeah the contradictory instructions should be greyed out. Like gegen press with all out defense/conservative. False winger or wing rotation with a 442 diamond (no wingers). False 9 with multiple 9s. Attacking fullbacks (adv tactics) simultaneously given instructions to play defensive (adv tactics) etc.
I cant imagine a coach giving out all that instructions to the players. Too much layers. And I like the idea of greying the contradictory instructions.
I think that they need to hire a proper football coach to help them build the game

Is it just me or does something look "off" with these rockets, especially the Henderson one for example, it's like the camera is too slow to keep up with the shot, and it moves away from the goal too quickly. It reminds me of the camera movement on free kicks where you barely get to appreciate the ball hitting the back of the net. Just awful, I loathe these bizarre new camera movements.

Compare it to PES 5 for example (0:40)

You can see the full goal area before the ball hits the net and the camera zooms in slightly on the goal afterwards.
The camera pan has definitely been a bit of an issue for me in this demo. It's too slow and finding the right camera angle has been a real struggle. BTW, I scored that Henderson goal and it didn't feel 'off' at the time. certain moments in game do though so I know what you mean.

Thanks for that advice!

I started to hammer the shooting button numerous times and my striker jumped to get the header indeed. Now i am curious if there´s a timing issue beyond or if the game just rewards button hammering like Winter Games on C64.
No need to double tap. Just press the shoot when ball is near the player but not too late.
Tested this a few hours today and yesterday in PES18 and 19demo as I'm really worried marked headers are broken.

No need to double tap. Just press the shoot when near the player but not too late.
Tested this a few hours today and yesterday in PES18 and 19demo as I'm really worried marked headers are broken.
So you have to be quite early, much earlier than a regular (passing) header?

That´s bizarre and doesn´t make sense.

So you have to be quite early, much earlier than a regular (passing) header?

That´s bizarre and doesn´t make sense.
I'm having more success with marked headers when:
I press the "shoot button" when the ball is already about 3-4meters close(maybe closer) to my player(player that will do the header), and I release "shoot button" when ball is nearer my player's head(1-2m away). This is quick so basically a tap. Do this too early or too late, the player will not react.

This is in PES2018 but works in 19DEMO too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom