FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Haven't played since summer myself, but I still keep 3 versions of the game on my pc. The extended demo, the release version and the final version. That's a lot of GBs! The most striking thing about the demo is that everything is slower and I feel absolutely no need to adjust things like pass speed with sliders. The more they patched it the more it played faster it seems. When I have the time (when I will give up on fifa19, assuming the next patch does not improve the game for me) I will also look into if I can make the file server work with the demo.

But anyway, it's all relative. It's a good game, I think I would prefer v1 to the final patch but even after the final patch it's a lot better than other games.

Last edited:
Haven't played since summer myself, but I still keep 3 versions of the game on my pc. The extended demo, the release version and the final version. That's a lot of GBs! The most striking thing about the demo is that everything is slower and I feel absolutely no need to adjust things like pass speed with sliders. The more they patched it the more it played faster it seems. When I have the time (when I will give up on fifa19, assuming the next patch does not improve the game for me) I will also look into if I can make the file server work with the demo.

But anyway, it's all relative. It's a good game, I think I would prefer v1 to the final patch but even after the final patch it's a lot better than other games.

This sound like sweet music to my hears. Currently I am using CM16 to add new stadiums with the drawback of not being able to play night games with new ids stadiums, but I can live with that.

About GB, my fifa16 folder, including versions, back ups, all sort of modds is of 444GB!

Four hundred gigabytes? Wow, that's massive!
I used to keep several folders myself too when I was playing:
A "clean" one from the DVDs (from which I would restart when things would go fubar),
A "testing" one (which I didn't care if I did something bad to),
A "stable" one (with only the mods that had satisfied me during testing), which I used for my career mode with Como (yep, Como)...
But I never got to that amount of space taken up. Not even close!

Not really a stadium server guy myself, but I remember I had spent quite some time adding alternate kits with Revolution Mod (at least for Italian teams, as they were pretty much the only ones I would face during the career).

I'm still trying to go through some old backups to see if i find that extended demo (I was pretty sure I had saved it somewhere) but I didn't have any luck till now, so I'm left costing between the retail version of FIFA 16 and the retail version of FIFA 14 (a less refined game, but a game where team tactics look like being somehow more effective).

Thanks!

If only there was a way to make tactics work better for the cpu, this game would probably be the best virtual football ever made.

If only there was a way to make tactics work better for the cpu, this game would probably be the best virtual football ever made.

Tactics do works (talking about the demo version here) but the cpu will adjust its tactic depending on the game scenario, which is not per se a bad thing BUT it is done in a stereotypic way. I have small theory about that that I need to test, but I am not sure how yet. I think that it is possible that cpu switch only between the few preset tactics that are also available for the user: Default, Counter attack, high pressure, possession, long ball. It is very noticeable when you play a lower side that use a sort of fast forward long ball tactic, if they do not retain enough possession, at some point during the game they will switch to a possession tactic. This very noticeable. I have tried to look in the db to try to find the file responsible for those preset tactics but I could not find them yet. If I could find them, I would like to set them all the same way (long ball all the way) to check that theory.

@Joonloop i noticed you play on PS4. Can i ask do you play with old team squads or are they updated? If updated, did you just do it yourself manually?

Thanks

Yeah the squads are from the 2016 season. You can transfer them manually but that seems to be a tedious experience to do 1 by 1. I just updated Chelsea recently and stopped there. And then of course there is all is non-updated stats too, which I'm not sure you can change

Yeah the squads are from the 2016 season. You can transfer them manually but that seems to be a tedious experience to do 1 by 1. I just updated Chelsea recently and stopped there. And then of course there is all is non-updated stats too, which I'm not sure you can change

Yeh that’s what I thought. It’s a shame there are no option files for FIFA like PES.

I think you can change stats but when creating players i dont think you can make young players. I remember trying to create Deli Ali once but the youngest i could make him was 20 and he was 18 at the time.

FIFA 16 is EASILY the best football game ever made without any doubt.

Trust me, I've played them all (except FIFA 19). A lot.

When it comes to genuine football atmosphere, only very early PES games came close. It's not something that you can even put your finger on it... not like the best graphics, best goalies, etc. it's just there. I've played some really unforgettable games on FIFA 16.

Last edited:
FIFA 16 is EASILY the best football game ever made without any doubt.

Trust me, I've played them all (except FIFA 19). A lot.

When it comes to genuine football atmosphere, only very early PES games came close. It's not something that you can even put your finger on it... not like the best graphics, best goalies, etc. it's just there. I've played some really unforgettable games on FIFA 16.

I'll premise one thing.. Fifa 19 won't dethrone it for you.. 100% sure :DD..

Anyway, Fifa 16 is truly fantastic and unique, there is no doubt about it. I don't know if for my tastes it's the best football game ever, but just because it's a matter subjectivity and personal feel.. it's surely up there in the discussion, anyway.

I think once you play with the normal size ball in Fifa 19, the smaller ball size of 16 is an eyesore. That and the stuff you can do with the right stick when the ball is in the air are the main things for me

I think once you play with the normal size ball in Fifa 19, the smaller ball size of 16 is an eyesore. That and the stuff you can do with the right stick when the ball is in the air are the main things for me
The ball size in 16 is normal like in 19.
The ridiculous small ball was in 17 and 18.
Although i remember that the hi-vis balls in 16 looked small for some reason but the normall white ones were spot on.

So does it worth to give it a go in ps4 right now? reading all these posts here tempts me to go in ps store and buy it. Not in the full price 30€ but in the special discount price it hasvery often during the year.

I have it on PS4 too. Yeah it's just as good as long as you adjust the gameplay sliders.

But you can't have the Moddingway mod for PS4, which really puts this game to another level. I play it mainly on PC but on PS4 with my 8-year old son.

So does it worth to give it a go in ps4 right now? reading all these posts here tempts me to go in ps store and buy it. Not in the full price 30€ but in the special discount price it hasvery often during the year.
I managed to play last night and this morning, and I'm just not feeling it. I'd say it's better than FIFA 19, don't get me wrong - the AI fouls you, for one thing! You wouldn't believe how much that one simple thing adds to the gameplay - and there is build-up play from the AI, I'd forgotten what that looked like.

But I don't feel freedom in my play. I have to play a certain way, or the AI just dominates. Their defending is perfect (the defensive line never breaks) and they cover your wingers so well that it's a bit silly - countless times their wing-backs (while defending) were running into space before my winger had "woken up" and started running there. I think I was managing about one cross per game.

It's all a bit rigid, for me, with every game being very similar. I try and play through the middle and it takes so long for space to open (and so long for defenders to make a mistake) that it gets frustrating - especially when you're playing a supposedly poor team - whereas the modern FIFAs have gone the total-opposite way, where every time you have the ball, you can put an amazing counter-attack together...

Which made me realise something: I think FIFA 16 (especially with the Supernova gameplay mod on PC) feels much closer to PES 2019 than it feels to FIFA 19! But PES allows a little more freedom (at the expense of horrible response times, which I believe can be modded on PC) and there's a little more variety, thanks to "advanced tactics" and defenders sometimes being less-than-perfect (and the ball physics help too).

To me Fifa 16 is that good because of the mods (the already nominated Moddingway one, the gameplay which can be tweaked immensely and the graphical ones). But I guess it can still be worth on sale ;).

Which made me realise something: I think FIFA 16 (especially with the Supernova gameplay mod on PC) feels much closer to PES 2019 than it feels to FIFA 19! But PES allows a little more freedom (at the expense of horrible response times, which I believe can be modded on PC) and there's a little more variety, thanks to "advanced tactics" and defenders sometimes being less-than-perfect (and the ball physics help too).

You see, that's the beauty of different views. If I think about rhytm, animations and general freedom, I find Fifa 16 as distant as possible from Pes 19 :LOL:.

By the way I play with a Matt10 cl.ini and some custom sliders.. the experience can differ much with different stuff on, I guess.

To me Fifa 16 is that good because of the mods (the already nominated Moddingway one, the gameplay which can be tweaked immensely and the graphical ones). But I guess it can still be worth on sale ;).

You see, that's the beauty of different views. If I think about rhytm, animations and general freedom, I find Fifa 16 as distant as possible from Pes 19 :LOL:.

By the way I play with a Matt10 cl.ini and some custom sliders.. the experience can differ much with different stuff on, I guess.

I absolutely agree with that.
May be try without supernova gameplay mod Chris.

I absolutely agree with that.
May be try without supernova gameplay mod Chris.
Oh I did, as was recommended to me - I only switched to it for my last few games, to see if it improved things, and it absolutely did - it made AI play less perfect.

It didn't make their defending less perfect though (with average teams) - the back-line is absolutely rigid and I find it forces you to play a certain way (I had no joy down the wings against anyone, because their wing-backs were almost psychic, blocking off the space comfortably every time - whereas all the FIFAs since are the opposite, which is worse).

It's just not for me - but I get why it is for a lot of people, because it's much better than modern FIFA from a game-flow perspective.

When I play a football game I look at replays of goals I've scored and the AI have scored, and try to analyse it as "does this look realistic or not" (and "is this the same goal over and over").

In FIFA 16 I don't see a great deal of goal variety - in FIFA 19 I only score one type of goal (long-rangers with any player) and goals look absolutely wacky anyway (with players sliding and floating around) - but in PES 2019, they look pretty realistic to me. Even though there are certain goals you'll never see.

Last edited:
In all PES the through-pass has always been too easy. FIFA 16's defensive line is very tough, true. But that's EXACTLY why I like it. It's not impossible to penetrate at all... it's just tougher. Play more and you'll see.

Whenever I play PES tournaments against the CPU, they always become scorefests. Scoring is just too easy on PES.

And yes, there's a LOT of different goals in FIFA 16. Do you use legendary difficulty level? That's the only way to go, imho.

@Chris: Did you use OperationSpots sliders from this thread? Use them and make your own adjustments like I did (to pass speed and player speed).
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/c...es-fan-fifa-16-is-better-and-heres-why.78973/

And yes, there's a LOT of different goals in FIFA 16.
I'd love to see some videos - I had a quick look on YouTube but most videos are older content from streamer types who aren't exactly looking for the simulation nirvana we are. ;)

Do you use legendary difficulty level? That's the only way to go, imho.
I did, but I felt it made every team much too perfect (particularly in terms of their defensive line). I played a Champions league as a four-star team, came up against Spartak Moscow, and their defensive line was pretty much impenetrable.

As you say, that's a good thing - to a degree. For me, it's just too difficult to break it up and to create space. I want that challenge, but not an impossible challenge (of course, it's not literally impossible, but there were so few chances that it was difficult to enjoy, particularly when you feel a bit of clever play deserves a reward that you never get).

You just don't see such rock-solid defensive lines in reality - the game makes it feel like the pitch is half-size, because space is so difficult to come by - and every team "felt" the same to play against.

As I've long-said about FIFA, I ended up feeling that I was playing the difficulty level, not the team - i.e. Spartak Moscow and Man United, as the AI, have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Supernova's gameplay introduced more stray passes from the AI, which I loved, but didn't change their defending. I knocked difficulty down to "World Class" and it became too easy, as you say.

@Chris: Did you use OperationSpots sliders from this thread? Use them and make your own adjustments like I did (to pass speed and player speed).
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/c...es-fan-fifa-16-is-better-and-heres-why.78973/[/QUOTE]
I used the sliders from the first page of that thread yes, as you recommended - and then turned pass speed down a touch (I'm hyper-sensitive to pass speed given the literally ridiculous pace that the ball moves in FIFA 19) - and again, they certainly improve the game.

I just don't feel enough freedom as the player, and the AI is too unerring for me to enjoy it. If real football was as perfect, every game would be 0-0 (and obviously I prefer that to the modern games and their "every game is 5-5" philosophy, but this is the exact opposite, without ever feeling in-between, in my opinion).

I use to love playing Fifa 16
Played it to death almost,and I was involved with the community on OS creating one of their slider sets.
Back then on console,easily a top 5 game for me.

But a few things that felt a bit off back then,and those things still feels off
@Chris Davies mentioned the defensive line being rigid,never out of sync etc.
My main issue was/is pass percentage from the CPU.

Played it a few weeks ago since I still have it on my HD,and though I still feel it hasn't aged well,I guess playing it modded like you guys do would make it much better.
But on a console,I don't think it's that memorable.
But then again,we all have our games that speaks to us.
I still like Pes 15 a lot,even though the graphics kills my eyes

But of course you should get it @slamsoze it shouldn't cost you more than €10-15?
It's still a good game

Last edited:
Here is a video of a full game, Bayern vs Dortmund in the Germany super cup final season 2017/2018.
Not the most exciting game I played lately, they really dominated the game and closed very well at the back.

Goals were scored at min 18 of the video (a classical cpu goal on fifa 16), a late equalizer at min 35 and finally the cpu scored the winner at min 37 by Lewo with a backhill shot while my defence is sleeping.

I don't know why the quality is so poor on youtube. It was recorded at 720p on my pc and looks much better when played with vlc.

Here is a video of a full game, Bayern vs Dortmund in the Germany super cup final season 2017/2018.
Not the most exciting game I played lately, they really dominated the game and closed very well at the back.

Goals were scored at min 18 of the video (a classical cpu goal on fifa 16), a late equalizer at min 35 and finally the cpu scored the winner at min 37 by Lewo with a backhill shot while my defence is sleeping.

I don't know why the quality is so poor on youtube. It was recorded at 720p on my pc and looks much better when played with vlc.
Maybe demo gameplay really is radically different - mine doesn't look like this!

What difficulty level is that?

Brand new FIFA16 goal compilation!

Online Seasons only. Full Manual controls only.

Song is 'Tom B. feat. Jazzmine - Breathe (Thomas Lizzara Remix)'

Wow... you have some great skills.

I play from the keyboard and compared to you I really SUCK. But I've always considered that a blessing in sports games. :D

Maybe demo gameplay really is radically different - mine doesn't look like this!

What difficulty level is that?

It really is. It is on legendary with full manual control. Slow speed and no sliders change. I only disabled the adaptive difficulty from the product.ini and have few lines in my cl.ini which are supposed to tune a bit down the cpu attacking difficulty (could be both placebo though).

Here is another full game video. The opening of the Bundesliga 2017/2018 away at Wolfsburg (credit to Nisoley aka the Wizards for the stadiums).

Not many goals, but some good chances for both sides. An away 1-0 win thanks to a very generous penalty scored in the second half (min 34 of the video). May be William p_ssed a bit to much the ref before that call with its many fouls on Reus. Anyway a deserved win considering the shot numbers and the time we spent in their half. We hit the post once on Batschuayi head (min 32 of the video). So they did with a long ranger in the first half (cant find the min). Game summary and stats tables are at the end of the video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom