FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Reinstalled a clean version of the demo with the full game modifier for it. Things are much better now DM's staying more or less in place and tactical instructions working. Going out now, just hope that then next time I boot up the game it's till playing the same as it is now.

Reinstalled a clean version of the demo with the full game modifier for it. Things are much better now DM's staying more or less in place and tactical instructions working. Going out now, just hope that then next time I boot up the game it's till playing the same as it is now.

Exact, tactic do work to some extent with the demo version. Also players tend to rush less in attack, so the team shape is better conserved in various phases.

This is why I love the gameplay of FIFA 16. So this is in Legendary. Earlier on I slowed down the tempo and the Swansea players got complacent. Then Hazard got the ball and did this. Do you see how fluid the dribbling is and how much stats matters when it comes to dribbling and the bad defense of Swansea tackling stats? FIFA 17 and 18 has 10x more clunkier controls.

This is without any skill moves whatsoever.

This is why I love the gameplay of FIFA 16. So this is in Legendary. Earlier on I slowed down the tempo and the Swansea players got complacent. Then Hazard got the ball and did this. Do you see how fluid the dribbling is and how much stats matters when it comes to dribbling and the bad defense of Swansea tackling stats? FIFA 17 and 18 has 10x more clunkier controls.

The individuality and PlayerID in FIFA 16 were the best. Could only be matched by those of old PES (from the PSX days and PS2 days too) and those in PES 2013.
Those little animations when dribbling that come from inertia and momentum are the so good! In fact, it was exactly after they removed them (or toned down the amount of times they happened) that FIFA lost its magic for me.
Same with PES. After PES 2013 they removed those animations when running with the ball and dribbling or changing pace or zig-zagging through rivals and that's when I started to dislike PES tremendously. Konami tried to add some of that back in PES 2018 but nowhere near as good as it was in 2013.

Yes, whenever I go back to 16, the dribbling is one of the main things that stand out to me (along with super cancel always working and the power bar filling up faster).

The dribbling is such a joy in 16. One of the keys things is how responsive it is, as in how quickly your input effects the game. I feel like in 17 & 18 your player is often lagging behind your commands when it comes to quick input, especially dribbles, and especially when combining multiple styles of dribbles (combinations of left stick, L1, L2, sprint etc).

But regardless of the logical reasoning, fifa16 dribbling just feels so free and open to possibilities.

Here are two videos from my channel that display fun dribbling from 16:

For the last video, take a look at 0:06 and 2:18 for beautiful uses of no touch dribbling, and how this button allows for bursts of speed (no touch is pretty awful in 18 by comparison).

Look at 0:28 for a beautiful hazard dribble with soe of that momentum you mentioned.

Look at 2:09 for Robben using his high agility to manavour through tight space filled with 3+ defenders.

I love looking at details like this. I've been marvelling at the details of fifa16 ever since it's demo released and the game still surprises and amazes me

Last edited:
I'm so hyped to fire up FIFA16 with the latest transfers. Anyone think they could cook up a db with latest transfers? :WHISTLE:

This game has a certain charm that was lost in FIFA 17 and FIFA 18. Sure FIFA 17 have better AI when it comes to passing and such but FIFA 16 have better everything include really variant attacking AI. It's pretty close to being the perfect footie game. If only the CPU AI passing accuracy could have had more impact with stats.

Captured this a couple of nights ago, don't think I've seen this animation before.

ezgif-3-8ec2b9989e.gif

Just scored this full manual goal online. Nice build up then a crazy lob into the box. Man it just felt to satisfying. Then to watch the replay and see the animations of Ronaldo... sublime.

One of the things I miss most from 16 that is not present in 18, is how quick you can pass the ball to create attacks and punish open space on the pitch. In 18 the ball/power bar fills very slow and passes take too much time to reach the feet of the receiver.

Haven't played FIFA 16 since last fall and man, does this game look and feel great. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. About to embark on a career mode until 19 rolls around. It's absolutely criminal how much better the lighting is in FIFA 16.

Edit: Completely forgot how ridiculous the AI crossing is. Balls into row Z all day.

Last edited:
Completely forgot how ridiculous the AI crossing is. Balls into row Z all day.
If you have lowered the AI passing accuracy slider below 50 you will find this problem. Instead try lowering AI passing speed. The AI will still pass at proper speed, but their accuracy will suffer a bit and their crosses shouldn't be hoofed out of the pitch.

Last edited:
Long story short: I've played all football titles for PC to hell and back. FIFA 16 is the best. Period.

It has flaws, yes. But this is the only football game after PES5 that actually feels like real football. There are some things that you can't measure with numbers or even common sense. This game has the "genuine atmosphere". So many things just "clicked" with FIFA 16.

It's early doors but there's a good chance Ariel of Moddingway will resume work on the 18/19 season. Get in!

Any PS4 full manual players still play this or are up for some games?

I would love to play 16 more than I do 18 but it's basically impossible to find full manual matches online now.

Long story short: I've played all football titles for PC to hell and back. FIFA 16 is the best. Period.

It has flaws, yes. But this is the only football game after PES5 that actually feels like real football. There are some things that you can't measure with numbers or even common sense. This game has the "genuine atmosphere". So many things just "clicked" with FIFA 16.

Agree.. FIFA 16 + MW + sliders, the best football game experience for me.

I saw a few mentioning FIFA16 demo gameplay, I remember liking it a lot. What's the magic trick to get it for the full game?

Agree.. FIFA 16 + MW + sliders, the best football game experience for me.

Absolutely.

If it had slightly more fouls, it'd be almost perfect. But I'm not complaing. At least it has SOME... unlike PES 2018 which has ZERO. I watched a PES 2019 demo video... ZERO fouls. How ridiculous is that?

remF6Su.jpg

Having played Pes19 since launch and complete disappointment from AI offline i stop playing because it was really bad against cpu.I had great & long career mods in the past with Pes17-18 & of course Fifa17-18.I have played fifa16 in the past but only some tournaments mode. I am in ps4,offline.
I fired up the demo again & tried it.It was so much better from all the above.Even better from fifa19 demo.I don’t stick so much with the graphics. So I bough it again for 10euros & started a career
The gameplay for me it is so much better.I play on slow with manual controls.The games seem much more balanced with great battles between players.You just can’t take a player and run the field all the way like in all later releases.The defense will stop you.You have to try to “open” the defense with smart football play.You have to pass a lot, change sides and be patient.Scoring a goal seems to me so much rewarding.The absence of OP ball shielding is great, the movement is so free, I just feel this is the best soccer game of all vs Cpu.I think this is the only soccer game that is not driving crazy when cpu beats you with 3 goals.Laters versions felt like cpu “cheating” too much.

Having played Pes19 since launch and complete disappointment from AI offline i stop playing because it was really bad against cpu.I had great & long career mods in the past with Pes17-18 & of course Fifa17-18.I have played fifa16 in the past but only some tournaments mode. I am in ps4,offline.
I fired up the demo again & tried it.It was so much better from all the above.Even better from fifa19 demo.I don’t stick so much with the graphics. So I bough it again for 10euros & started a career
The gameplay for me it is so much better.I play on slow with manual controls.The games seem much more balanced with great battles between players.You just can’t take a player and run the field all the way like in all later releases.The defense will stop you.You have to try to “open” the defense with smart football play.You have to pass a lot, change sides and be patient.Scoring a goal seems to me so much rewarding.The absence of OP ball shielding is great, the movement is so free, I just feel this is the best soccer game of all vs Cpu.I think this is the only soccer game that is not driving crazy when cpu beats you with 3 goals.Laters versions felt like cpu “cheating” too much.

FIFA16 is certainly the most free. You can supercancel all over the pitch at anytime, even to dynamically win headers. Whereas supercancel has been severely restricted in 17 & 18 as often you cannot unlock from a run.

Also you say you're PS4 and play full manual, well if you ever want a full manual online friendly hit me up! I'm still playing this game too

Been playing a bit of Fifa 16 this days, to compare it to 19.

I must say that it still has some moments of unparalleled virtual football. The randomness, the collisions, the freedom, the ball. With all the right mods it seriously feels like one of the best soccer games ever made, plus with the reshade even player models don't actually feel this bad.
Playing especially Premier League in this game is such a vivid sensation.

^ Same here and I agree on every point. In the first days I had fifa 19, I was going back and forth between 19 and 16, and I always had more fun playing with 16. Like Antoine said in the other thread, there is something missing in 19. First I am not a fan of the ball physics in 19 I prefer the one in 16. But most importantly, I miss the randomness and the physicality which is very present in 16. People tend to think the cpu is too perfect in 16 because it reach always very high pass accuracy, but that statistic is very misleading in 16 because 1) the cpu plays more often at the back, which leads to safer pass for the cpu, 2) the cpu quite often quick the ball in the stands to clear the ball from defence and this not accounted as a missed pass, 3) bad cpu passes often reach the target partner but put him in a bad situation to keep the ball, resulting either in bad control and/or an interception by the defence, BUT the pass will still be counted as an accurate pass.

It is about two weeks now I haven't touched 19 and at this point I might only try it again after the next patch to see if it improve things. Fifa 16 really gives me the best football experience of the two. 16 just feels more organic and at the same super exiting at every moment, no matter where the action is taking place on the pitch.

PS: I am working on a simsetting.ini (built on Topaz shared knowledge) to get more competitive leagues and stats closer to real life tables. It is almost ready, I will share it when finished in the edit section.

hey @papinho81 , what is this simsetting.ini? First time I hear about it. I've always only edited cm.ini indeed.

Would love something to make teams play more with their strenghts and weaknesses. This is actually my main gripe with this game..

I think there are 2 things to consider. "Gameplay" as narrowly defined by many to mean animations, the game speed, the weight, how smooth everything is, the ball, etc, and then there's the type of football at display. I had 16, 17 and 19 installed and 19 is certainly satisfying and maybe the best fifa technically. 17 plays more "serious" football but trying it after 19 it feels so bad and clunky and it's probably going to be uninstalled. I would love to play fifa17 type of football in the fifa19 engine, if that makes sense.

Thankfully 16 is alive and kicking, as I wait and see what will happen with 19 with all the patches.

Biggest difference for me is how in 16 everything is organic, the field compresses much better, there is nothing OP (like stupid bicycle kicks), and if the games becomes end to end it's because of an evolving, believable match scenario. While in 19 every single thing is designed to enable end to end gameplay by default. The space between the lines, the cpu running forward passing the ball forward all the time (with maybe one or two passes sideways/backwards sprinkled in).

The worse thing about 19 however is dynamic tactics. Pressure is stupidly over the top, teams setup to play balanced/possession will still bomb forward with zero patience (wtf? what is the point of all those tactics?) and the icing on the cake is that the cpu will not adjust based on the scoreline which is stupid and i don't know if it will be fixed. I'm keeping 19 to see if it will be and still play it, it's not bad, but not fifa16 great either. So in 16 the cpu plays more or less the same but at least they will change if they're losing/winning. They will park the bus or go on all out attack if they need to. There's more team variety in 19 as you get pressing teams and teams that drop back. But zero variety while you actually play the match as they will never change! How odd.

Both good games, but if you value "serious" football, fifa16 is definitely the winner. 19 is technically great, but it's in no way serious. No fouls, bicycle kicks, tactics designed solely for end to end 6 minute online matches... I have seen some impressive and smart AI plays in 19 though, but it kinda leaves me numb when paired with their robotic clinical finishing.

Last edited:
@manmachine I absolutely agree with the second paragraph of your post. Except may be that CPU header can be op sometime or may be hard to defend in 16. But I love that "team block" feeling you have when defending. It results in a strong emphasis on one on one situations and individual mistakes. And the same thing apply when you try breaking the CPU defense. The CPU will take what you gives him and you better do the same. And animations wise it survives the comparison pretty well with 19. I love that the ball is alive in the vertical dimension when players try to control it or to dribble.

@Madmac79 The simsetting.ini is a file that control the outcome of simulated games during career mode. Both the user ones (if any) and all the CPU vs CPU games. It control the outcome of the game depending on several parameters among which the team overall of the two facing teams, the possibles scorelines, the number of cards, the probability of identity of the scorers and assist players. So you don't end every season winning the league with 70 points and with by far the best attack and the worst defense in the league. Also you will face competition to get the pitchichi trophy.

It has nothing to do with gameplay though.

Guys, just a question...
I have the physical version of FIFA 16 (yeah, the one that came with three DVDs).

If I installed the game straight off the DVDs with Origin offline (so it wouldn't update), would the game play the same as in the demo in your opinion?
I seem to remember I used to like the demo gameplay and (generally) the gameplay of the first two months more or less, then I started enjoying it less than at the beginning (it's still a very good game, don't get me wrong, but I feel there's something "off" with the latest patch even if I can't put my finger on it).

And, if the game I could install from the media plays as the demo, which slider set would you recommend me?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ale! I agree, the last fifa16 patch changed the game in a dramatic way. As for the vanilla version from what I remembered from my own test, it doesn't play like the demo, but it is the version that come closer.

I personally think the demo version is way better than the retail game. I actually bought a pc to be able to play the extended version of the demo in the first place. There is a better sense of positioning and patience in it. You don t see midfielders running around like no head chickens. They stick more to their instructions. Also tactics while not perfect, works to a good extent. While I do own the retail game both on ps4 and PC I don t play them anymore. I played it a lot on ps4 before finding the demo trick. I then bought it on PC because you can t use stadium server with the demo version. But I was not getting that demo gameplay feel. So I resigned myself to not be able to use that fantastic tool, because the demo gameplay really worth that huge modding sacrifice.

As for sliders, with the demo, I am using all default sliders. I just turned the speed to slow. For the retail I had a small slider thread at Operation Sport forum. You can give it a go, or you can of course use Matt10 sliders.

Back
Top Bottom