FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

Flippin eck mate where? Can i have a neon sign above their heads???

When i played and being the furthest man forward i didnt have a player anywhere near me backing me up in support, they all just stood about. No forward running or anything. if you need to manually set this up fair enough but in game a.i does not give subtle movements at all!

Patience, it's not fifa where you press L1 and players instantly run forward! If you play PES like you do with FIFA you won't understand or enjoy it :)

Oh and please, get a spellchecker add-on for your browser or something, is English not your first language?

P.S. - Sorry for all the off-topic, I just felt I should reply to this post.

You are now being childish picking on language errors and its really making you sound 12 and I believe you are older?

Does it make you a better human being that your English is better or does it make your points that PES is better than FIFA any more valid? No!

To answer your question, yes English is not my first language and I did say I'm on my cellphone hence the errors

Christ. You leave a thread for a couple of weeks and all this happens.

I'm probably going to wait till November for the honeymoon to be over before posting what I think, which is pretty similar to Rob's views, especially on gameplay 'realism'. All I will say is that the AI in PES is better than FIFA's in most areas - it's just a lot less signposted and requires you to understand the hidden signals to release someone. It's a culture shock compared to FIFA and you just won't recognise how it works straight off the bat. That's the problem with making a game to last a year without making the first few days as accessible as possible.

Well that's not fair - this is a demo "impressions" thread after all and where's the fun in actually giving the games a chance before passing judgement?

Seriously though, are you having issues transitioning from the more fluid and more assist-free of FIFA as I am? I got killed on the other side of the forums for saying the game feels clunky still, but I can't help it if that's my impression. Also, after playing manual on FIFA I'm finding PES a tad too automated for my tastes. Some if it boils down to still getting accustomed to the controls, and not having time with the MLO that some had *cough* may have put me at a disadvantage, but the result is I'm reaching for the FIFA demo first at the moment.

Regarding the AI, I certainly agree there's level of depths in PES that aren't there in FIFA but it's also a little unrealistic imo that in PES you are so often expected to guess/assume a player will follow a pass into space rather than being led to that pass by a player run. For example, Dani Alves' runs in FIFA this year are very much his real life runs, but in PES I find I'm forced to lead him. I'll admit I haven't played around with the game tactics yet, so may be that's the answer. PES certainly makes you think more but I'm not sure that's necessarily more realistic in itself.

What's the point of playing with an interactive video game if the game plays for you? I want as much control as possible, whilst still being realistic, and still making me feel I'm playing with the real people - well, at the moment, manual is closer to that than assisted, or semi.

In terms of freedom, FIFA's manual is still on another planet - this year it's made a large jump too - passing is a lot better other than the weakness of the topend - curved passing finally properly implemented.

EXACTLY! I don't really get the argument that manual controls is less realistic than assisted. Rather I see it as a trade-off with both having elements of realism/unrealism the other doesn't. On one hand manual may sacrifice greater individuality but what it gains is more freedom in options/possibilities; conversely assisted allows for more stat/attribute influence but it often comes at the expense of your own choices being limited or even overridden by the CPU.

Both games have made improvements in their unique combination of freedom and individuality, but neither is perfect or perfectly realistic. I can't tell you the amount of times I've pulled-off something beautiful in PES while intending something completely different - that's exactly why I switched to manual controls from assisted, not to add difficulty. PES has improved but the assistance level is still a turn-off. FIFA's issues with individuality is well documented but it's total bullcrap to say it hasn't made a solid step forward this year. I do worry how much individuality will be present at the lower levels though.

Anyway, I'm still undecided between PES and FIFA this year. Both have terrible problems and great achievements.

I'll probably get PES to play the ML and enjoy a more tactical play, while I get Fifa to play full manual with the people I like.

But I really find Fifa boring and flat. There's nothing there that resembles the game I would have liked after these years. The pressuring and constant barging and fighting for the ball is just too much for me. I find it horribly looking and boring to have 360 barging everywhere all the time. There are NO interceptions in the game, meaning positioning counts for nothing, thus tactics being again something hardly noticeable.

Fifa excels in a lot of things, but really, they should totally change the tackling/pushing side of the game. If FIFA had the dribbling/tackling/footplanting implementation of PES, it would be an instant winner and everything would make sense. But as it is, most of the time it reminds me more of an arcade game than its previous installments.

My thoughts EXACTLY. While I'm honestly enjoying the demo more than I expected, what you wrote that I put in bold are really holding the game back for me.

Just read some posts from the last few pages... Wow. How can some deny FIFA11 has jostling for airballs? You can literally push people out the way and sometimes conceed freekicks from going ott with it too. Also the player running is great even without using L1 this year. I just try and get dribblers to hold onto the ball or pass it about abit until i see a good run. With Real Madrid you can see Ronaldo constantly lurking in dangerou positions. With Manual lobs/crossing you can pick him out with a well-weighted one. I agree that PES does this beter in some aspects but then again PES fans would love having a "run" button to create moves or decoy runs so it's swings and round-a-bouts there.

Seems to be a lot of clipping in this game, I don't think they flow together as smoothly as they have done with all the little additions they keep adding. Though the clipping is only really noticeable if you zoom in.

I'm treating Fifa this year as I've always done, as a sandbox football game, you're capable of doing pretty much anything, so it's largely up to you how you want to play the game. Problem is it becomes quite tiring playing by your own rules after so many games, and I end up as a pressure whore - Good job I don't play online much. PES is the opposite and has many restrictions in place, so it's simpler to play a realistic game of football, but that doesn't mean it's not impossible in Fifa.

For me, this is the best ever year for football games

Last edited:
I'm treating Fifa this year as I've always done, as a sandbox football game, you're capable of doing pretty much anything, so it's largely up to you how you want to play the game. Problem is it becomes quite tiring playing by your own rules after so many games, and I end up as a pressure whore - Good job I don't play online much. PES is the opposite and has many restrictions in place, so it's simpler to play a realistic game of football, but that doesn't mean it's not impossible in Fifa.

Interesting you brought this up because I find that I play FIFA better after playing a game(s) of PES first, and I think it's because PES forces you to play a more realistic, thoughtful game, and while FIFA rewards that type of gameplay, it actually pushes in the direction of a more frantic, aggressive style of play.

So on one hand I love the freedom in FIFA but sometimes I can get real frustrated with how games play out - I find it difficult sometimes to not fall into the attack-attack-attack, forward-forward-forward, mindset. In PES I find the exact opposite. So what I've noticed is I'll turn off the PES demo, turn on the FIFA demo, and the game plays differently and I actually enjoy it more! Strange huh?

How can some deny FIFA11 has jostling for airballs? You can literally push people out the way and sometimes conceed freekicks from going ott with it too.

I think maybe they are referring to in FIFA it's only two players jostling for airballs rather than multiple players going for looseballs? This was suppose to be improved for 11 but I haven't noticed a difference. Not sure though. And I agree with you about player movement - it's definitely an improvement from last year.

This demo gets better everytime i play it. Tackles are great.

Yeah, looks like they've added a lot of new tackling animations. You can really dive in, foot straight :BOP:

Tackling is great and the new animations are very cool, but the problem is the offensive side hasn't seen an equal amount of new tools at its disposal to counter the effectiveness of defense. Defending has become WAY too easy and simple, and quite frankly makes the game a bit boring and too defensive - even on Legendary I'm rarely fearful of not being able to get the ball back off the CPU. I know dribbling has been improved, but it's just not enough, and the game feels unbalanced as a result.

I've switched on the WC game to compare and in the WC game defending is more a challenge. I remember Simon Humber saying making teammamte pressure less effective was something they had planned to do for the WC game, but it looks like the FIFA 11 team have ignored those changes.

So yeah, love the animations but tackling is far too simple and effective right now. I was a fullback and I take offense to how they've dumbed down what should be the art of tackling.

played the demo a bit now, only thing that satisfys me is going the goalie, still find fifa to easy, without offending anyone

played the demo a bit now, only thing that satisfys me is going the goalie, still find fifa to easy, without offending anyone

You must be the greatest all manual player ever if you find it too easy! I've hardly scored a goal. I did switch to assisted and started creating chances a lot more easily but that was only for 2 mins. I manned up again and changed the settings back.

You must be the greatest all manual player ever if you find it too easy! I've hardly scored a goal. I did switch to assisted and started creating chances a lot more easily but that was only for 2 mins. I manned up again and changed the settings back.

don't have to be greatest player ever. the ai is terrible and easy. be realistic, do you think your gonna play manuel players online at default? of course not. and by looks of it, its not gonna change anytime soon, so why get used to manuel on fifa when your gonna play all assisted players? :FAIL:

What i've noticed about manual is the only time to score on legendary is right at the beginning of the match!

AI is downright terrible though! Aitk3n!

I have played full manual for about a year now, clubs mainly. I am well known for my scoring prowess from 3 yards.

Something has either clicked in this demo for me, or I am pressing something that I am unaware of, but manual shooting is working big time for me.

In the demo I have scored dipping shots, low drives and controlled placed shots that I am sure I would have missed on 10.

Long live FIFA 11 :)

I have played full manual for about a year now, clubs mainly. I am well known for my scoring prowess from 3 yards.

Something has either clicked in this demo for me, or I am pressing something that I am unaware of, but manual shooting is working big time for me.

In the demo I have scored dipping shots, low drives and controlled placed shots that I am sure I would have missed on 10.

Manual shooting - and manual in general - is easier in 11, I swear it. I've hit some screamers that I've never hit before, and I haven't missed the target with quite the same regularity. Problem is, like PU6HY said, I barely create quality chances with manual passing. You could say I need to drop the difficulty setting but at anything less than World Class the CPU doesn't get close to my goal.

Manual has definitely been made much easier this year. Case in point, I can actually score on an open net now.

I remember one shot with Ronaldo on an open goal that somehow shaved the outside of the crossbar and I just found myself thinking, "I'm definitely not THAT accurate." Definitely some scripting going on it seems.

don't have to be greatest player ever. the ai is terrible and easy. be realistic, do you think your gonna play manuel players online at default? of course not. and by looks of it, its not gonna change anytime soon, so why get used to manuel on fifa when your gonna play all assisted players? :FAIL:

You don't know that there are ranked manual leaderboards?? Lots of people are switching to full manual, even on the official FIFA forum. Wake up and smell the delicious coffee! :FAIL:

ok this video is extreme but its from fifa 10 and I wana know if this stuff is still possible in fifa 11? Specifically the keeper lobbing because its seems to easy. I mean its all great to look at but this stuff just brings down the realism a notch. Again, you could argue that this is just a step up in skill level that fifa offers :). I would say, they should make these goals alot harder to pull off..

YouTube - FIFA 10 - "The Beautiful Game" Online Goals Compilation

ok this video is extreme but its from fifa 10 and I wana know if this stuff is still possible in fifa 11? Specifically the keeper lobbing because its seems to easy. I mean its all great to look at but this stuff just brings down the realism a notch. Again, you could argue that this is just a step up in skill level that fifa offers :). I would say, they should make these goals alot harder to pull off..

Good to look at?! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!! Wankers who play like this spoil the game for me. Total bullshit.

As Scorps said, manual leaderboards fella. I also play over in a little community where I don't play against assisted wankers so therefore, I will not be playing against assisted players online at all so you can put your little fail note away sunshine.

Last edited:
I played against a mate again last night and assisted is very good now

Loads of stray passes in our game and cross field balls being over hit which was good

This was what i experienced last night on Pes demo.

A few issues from last night. My demo 'jumps' during a match, it will suddenly stop/start and the play will be a few seconds onward from where i was which is weird.

Also the keepers man, Ibrahimovic hit the softest toe poke ever and my keeper dived out of the way, literally just out of the way, unbelievable. Then to equalise i had a header saved and two players ran the ball onto the post, the ball came back out and a barca defender 7 yards from goal just blasts it straight into his own net. What the hell? he could have cleared it.

Im still not convinced. Its still sticky - i dont see the realistic a.i of either the cpu or my team mates.

Sure theres some nice touches here and their but its still a very flawed game for me.

I played against a mate again last night and assisted is very good now

Loads of stray passes in our game and cross field balls being over hit which was good

That's a fair comment. In all fairness, the full game isn't out and it's best to wait and see how everything pans out. If assisted is improved then great. Will be more balanced when playing against them then.

Its a bit more like Semi/Manual its somewhere inbetween, its because they have made stats effect your shots. Its the same with passing too. I'm not 100% behind it because i loved 100% manual (well close to 100% anyway), but as this will only help you out with good players i can always switch to lower teams and it wont 'assist' as much.

So i guess no playing as Celtic for you this year :-)

Last edited:

I've played this 'AwesomeGoals' fella. Challenged him to a manual game...he quit at 2-0 :BOP: Sent me a message along the lines of "Please play on assisted you naughty boy"

This was what i experienced last night on Pes demo.

A few issues from last night. My demo 'jumps' during a match, it will suddenly stop/start and the play will be a few seconds onward from where i was which is weird.

Also the keepers man, Ibrahimovic hit the softest toe poke ever and my keeper dived out of the way, literally just out of the way, unbelievable. Then to equalise i had a header saved and two players ran the ball onto the post, the ball came back out and a barca defender 7 yards from goal just blasts it straight into his own net. What the hell? he could have cleared it.

Im still not convinced. Its still sticky - i dont see the realistic a.i of either the cpu or my team mates.

Sure theres some nice touches here and their but its still a very flawed game for me.

I'm now 20-30 matches in on the PES demo (prob 50-100 with FIFA, sorta lost track!) and I have yet to see any shocking keeper gaffes. The only goals I've given away that annoyed me were floaters off free kicks but those annoyed me more cause of the weightless ball physics. I've also scored a couple through messy goal mouth scrambles. Honestly, I don't see the major issues some people are reporting with the keepers.

An interesting thing is happening though: the more I play the PES demo the more I'm really beginning to enjoy it whilst the opposite is true for FIFA - the more I play FIFA the more I see the same old ailments and the more frustrated I become. At first I didn't think I'd be able to overlook PES' shortcomings but yesterday for the first time I began to see myself possibly playing PES more than FIFA this year.

Dryzer, you say you don't see the realistic AI which surprises me, what exactly do you see that isn't realistic? Some people say off the ball movement isn't as good but I disagree - it's just different than how it's done in FIFA and takes some getting use to, but in many ways it's more intelligent, subtle, and sneaky! Also, watch for things like how well the defense keeps it's shape, something lacking in FIFA.

I know everyone has there own opinion but to say PES is a very flawed game I think is quite harsh and makes me wonder whether you've given it enough of a chance. I know accessibility is itself considered a positive by many, but I really don't think it's wise to pass judgement on PES until you've played a minimum of 20 matches, especially if you're coming from FIFA. Maybe you've played that many but it's hard for me to believe a football fan could spend that much time with the game and come away with your impression.

I'm not saying PES is without its shortcomings, but IMO they are mostly superficial and not many are football related. Meanwhile the opposite still seems to be the case with FIFA. I'm really hoping that with a few tweaks FIFA 11 will be great, because when it is fun and not a frustrating unrealistic back and forth tackle fest it really is awesome, but I would recommend having more patience with PES because it too can be quite the football game.

Thing that put me off PES is the unskippable 10 minute video after every match, utter pisstake, played the demo once and no way I'm going to load it again when Konami obviously have such utter contempt for my time. Guess I'll try the PC demo at some point with the team unlocker etc.

I'm now 20-30 matches in on the PES demo (prob 50-100 with FIFA, sorta lost track!) and I have yet to see any shocking keeper gaffes. The only goals I've given away that annoyed me were floaters off free kicks but those annoyed me more cause of the weightless ball physics. I've also scored a couple through messy goal mouth scrambles. Honestly, I don't see the major issues some people are reporting with the keepers.

An interesting thing is happening though: the more I play the PES demo the more I'm really beginning to enjoy it whilst the opposite is true for FIFA - the more I play FIFA the more I see the same old ailments and the more frustrated I become. At first I didn't think I'd be able to overlook PES' shortcomings but yesterday for the first time I began to see myself possibly playing PES more than FIFA this year.

Dryzer, you say you don't see the realistic AI which surprises me, what exactly do you see that isn't realistic? Some people say off the ball movement isn't as good but I disagree - it's just different than how it's done in FIFA and takes some getting use to, but in many ways it's more intelligent, subtle, and sneaky! Also, watch for things like how well the defense keeps it's shape, something lacking in FIFA.

I know everyone has there own opinion but to say PES is a very flawed game I think is quite harsh and makes me wonder whether you've given it enough of a chance. I know accessibility is itself considered a positive by many, but I really don't think it's wise to pass judgement on PES until you've played a minimum of 20 matches, especially if you're coming from FIFA. Maybe you've played that many but it's hard for me to believe a football fan could spend that much time with the game and come away with your impression.

I'm not saying PES is without its shortcomings, but IMO they are mostly superficial and not many are football related. Meanwhile the opposite still seems to be the case with FIFA. I'm really hoping that with a few tweaks FIFA 11 will be great, because when it is fun and not a frustrating unrealistic back and forth tackle fest it really is awesome, but I would recommend having more patience with PES because it too can be quite the football game.

Mate there is very little i can do in giving it a chance if the keeper does a massive gaff and the cpu blasts it into his own net.

Back
Top Bottom