FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

I've been absorbed for days by this demo lol. My PC broke so i never got around to my impressions but it's a fantastic game of footy. I have some great vids on my EA football world account (anthonyOA) that show some of the moves you can create. Great Demo. Can't wait for the full game. I hope they did spurs' faces as well as Arsenal's... or there'll be hell to pay...

-The goalkeepers parrying out everything infront of them only for a follow up strike. Really bugs me only because I score easily from this too.

My harshness to fifa was just frustration for EA not building on the great work from 08, instead adding gimmicks after gimmicks and the gameplay lacks depth and get's so boring, so quick!

As for PES
They do parry a lot but i've been having a hard time getting shots on target with certain teams :CONFUSE:. I've been using the 30 teams patch on PC (I dunno what teams you been using, I'm unsure) I mean if you play with Barca all the time, it shouldn't be hard, they are very much superior to Bayern in most departments! Also what's making things more challenging for me is the observation which actually seems to be 100 true which is, well quite scary in terms of AI.

Now interesting with AC Milan, i played two matches on top player, first as the 'home' team, second as the 'away' team. In the first match, i had that rather 'casual' easy feeling. Created chances quite easily. Real did next to nothing, eventually scored and well, just relaxed, only for Benzema to score a bicycle kick against the run of play :CONFUSE: ( I know, it's happens way too much and it's the number 1 'annoying thing' in PES, but tbh i can live with it!)

In the second match however i had in total about 1 shots on target, an no clear cut opportunity whatsoever!

Ratface was unplayable (shame about his shooting, he really shouldn't scored 4! (Scored a free kick mind you :RANT: . Di Maria was a right pain in the side, same with Higauin who was really just impossible to handle every time he got he ball, they passed the ball with a lot more confidence that they did in the previous game. My team despite organizing it felt like they just weren't up to it, they were flat and i just couldn't get any momentum or play going. I was very lucky only to lose 2 nil!

Also following on this match i played 'away' vs Turkey as Croatia. Very different stop start match compared tot he Milan Madrid games but i was very lucky to draw the game, i had to thank my keeper who made 4 vital saves! Possession stats were i think 52 to me 48 to the opposition which is crazy since I'm a possession player (Arsenal influence)

With Spain playing vs the Czechs and France (away) i did dominate most of the games but that was because unless you aren't very good it's the least you should be doing. Couldn't create many clear cut chances because of the very stubborn Czech defense and i think with France Evra must of been on a red, he was faultless! Still, enjoyed the matches! Dribbling with Iniesta is just amazing! I don't have many words to describe how brilliant it is.

As for the through balls, they are most effective at medium distances but no way are they an exploit or unbalanced, they seem fine, they don't work 100% of the time (Unless your Schweinsteiger 'joke' :LOL:) Don't see any issue there.

Again another thing which illustrates why I'm so hard on FIFA I just simply in no way can going into any depth about matches vs the CPU on FIFA, it's the just the same shit, over and over again!

On the difficulty point! Basically only on thing needs to be looked at as a issue which is the CPU do stand off far, FAR too much, and there is this player lock' system where the player just just follow you closely without even thinking of diving in. How it works the player will stalk you until a teammate rushes in and tackles you!

it's very bizarre that you can stand still in certain places (crossing zone) and every player just stops, that player 'locked' to you just stands there and waits until his teammate comes to tackle you :CONFUSE: . It needs to be sorted out but according to Expander it has even with the Winning Eleven demo!

As for Top player being easy on the demo. Personally i think playing at him is easier than it should be but the game does enough to keep you entertained and you can enjoy balanced matches :) You have to remember Friendlies even on the harder levels are a lot easier to play compared to cups, champions league and master league. The reason why these friendlies aren't really hard is simple. The CPU is using all the tactic and formations given to it. If in the full game you select on friendlies (COM LINEUP SELECT) on it'll be a lot harder! :)

With FIFA, another problem is every match the CPU is literally a friendly match. It's correct when people say manager mode isn't really a manager mode, instead in gameplay terms it's just a series of friendlies! It's actually very accurate. What i see is people here get a custom to top player/legendary always offering the same challenge. PES is different. Sometimes the AI is easy, sometimes they absolutely destroy you. The key thing is, they aren't predictable and matches are enjoyable!

Hey, we all love our football games, you can't say we should be capable of beating the AI on top player if were good enough? You could say this for fifa, yes, but it's they way you win on fifa, same thing! Every match!

Anyone else having an issue with the demo on the 360 where the framerate seems to have dropped drastically and the game locks up for about 15 seconds after every pause and unpause, or attempt to view a replay?

I think it may have something to do with the half time limit glitch that was mentioned earlier. I haven't tried the game again without using it so I can't say for sure, but as soon as I performed the "glitch," all of these issues have cropped up.

And for some reason, this is the first time that I've seen the "rules" screen with the options to alter injuries, offsides, and handballs. I swear it wasn't there before.

Anyone else having an issue with the demo on the 360 where the framerate seems to have dropped drastically and the game locks up for about 15 seconds after every pause and unpause, or attempt to view a replay?

I think it may have something to do with the half time limit glitch that was mentioned earlier. I haven't tried the game again without using it so I can't say for sure, but as soon as I performed the "glitch," all of these issues have cropped up.

And for some reason, this is the first time that I've seen the "rules" screen with the options to alter injuries, offsides, and handballs. I swear it wasn't there before.

No problems here. Are you talking about extending halves by choosing beginner? If so, again no problems here. Also, the options screen has been there all along.

is there anyone here coming from PES5/6 and prefering the Fifa11 demo to PES2011 demo?

Not sure what you mean - I have played games since PES5/6 - but those are certainly two of my favorite all-time. I'm still undecided but I think I prefer FIFA still. That said, I haven't been playing PES these last few years and i think it's a lot harder to go from FIFA to PES than the other way around. PES may still be a little too rough around the edges but it's not far away from being great - it still is impressive reproducing the fundamentals of the game. I'll reserve my final judgement after playing the full releases of each but at the moment I think I'd lean towards FIFA if I had to choose one.

I think a lot of the FIFA complaints are rooted in unfulfilled expectations of a higher level of simulation.

Or PES fanatics (since most complaints come from them)thinking they know better than EA developers about football game development and football in general when they don't.

Last edited:
FIFA 11 Demo ISSUE -Quick fault

Have you noticed that when there is a fault and the player runs to kick it fast the frame freeze?

Sorry for my english.

Both games have clear issues from the first game you play, and PES and FIFA are so different you will always get people who prefer one or the other and with that as in anything there will be the far right and left of centre guys who tend to have tunnel vision..

If you can live with the faults on either you'll be a happy bunny, I'm still playing FIFA 10 and some of the issues in there smack you round the face like a wet haddock, but I still enjoy it..

The same goes for the old glory days of WE8 and PES 5/6, they all had issues but we still loved them...

Or PES fanatics (since most complaints come from them)thinking they know better than EA developers about football game development and football in general when they don't.
I wouldn't call myself a "PES fanatic" (played Fifa 08, 09 and 10), yet I have a massive list of complaints about FIFA 11...

As I've said before - I don't really understand people who played PES/ISS years ago because of it's far superior and more realistic gameplay, yet now they prefer FIFA because it's "smoother", has better animations, has licences, has more game modes etc. even though PES 2011 has FAR more realistic gameplay?

even though PES 2011 has FAR more realistic gameplay?

Sorry, this is just a ridiculous statement.

Kick the ball in the air in PES 2011. Watch how two players are made to stand directly where the ball will fall and contest the header with no physical contact between to two. Depending on how you like to play/watch football in some cases the ball is in the air nearly half the game and that side of the game on PES is stuck in 2005.

You may prefer PES, but the more realistic game is FIFA. I don't really think there's an argument to that.

Opinions are opinions but i have to say Fifa is mind blowing and the best take on football yet. Ive played footy games since the likes of Match Day on the speccy and microprose soccer all the way to Fifa 11 and this game is the most enjoyable game to date.

I dont know how people find this game easy - im playing on all manual bar crossing and its bloody hard to score, you have to really work the ball about. The shooting is superb, the amount of variation is staggering. Add into that improved goalkeepers and its a joy. I only hope the custom tactics are tweaked, would like to see the cpu hit more outside of the box shots.

but yeah cant get enough of this demo, and i cant wait for Oct 1st, when we can play with loads of smaller teams too. I might be getting a review copy, fingers crossed but if not roll on October!

As for Pes, i think ill get that too so i can try it out under my conditions, especially with the broadcast cam which makes a big difference for me, why they never have it in the demo is laughable. But it does feel too rigid still.

Yes Fifa 11, blows 10 out of the water for me.

I wouldn't call myself a "PES fanatic" (played Fifa 08, 09 and 10), yet I have a massive list of complaints about FIFA 11...

As I've said before - I don't really understand people who played PES/ISS years ago because of it's far superior and more realistic gameplay, yet now they prefer FIFA because it's "smoother", has better animations, has licences, has more game modes etc. even though PES 2011 has FAR more realistic gameplay?

Er Pes years ago isnt a patch on the new incarnation. Fifa 11 is better than any of the old PS2 pes games, hands down.

If you dont believe me, just dont pick up any of the new footy games and dig out your old ps2. And we'll see how long you last playing that for the next year. ill give you a week.

Well, having played pes exclusively untill pes2008 i wouldn't say i prefer Fifa at all. At this moment i like both games. They are both very different from each other and both have things going for them.
I really like the new pes. It takes some getting used to for sure, but the gameplay is really solid this year. It does lack a little bit of smoothness - in my opinion - that Fifa has. Its is true that some of Fifa's smoothness comes from being able to make unrealistic turns with players, with the ball glued to their feet. But just running with the ball and turning feels good in Fifa.
What i don't like about Fifa is the heavy amount of pressure in midfield, giving me almost no time on the ball. My reactions are slow so i really need this time on the ball.

Anyway, i really really like both games at the moment.
I would never prefer Fifa just based on licenses, since i play the pc version and am sure that pes will get lots of extra's from the community.
I might just end up buying both games this year.

Sorry, this is just a ridiculous statement.

Kick the ball in the air in PES 2011. Watch how two players are made to stand directly where the ball will fall and contest the header with no physical contact between to two. Depending on how you like to play/watch football in some cases the ball is in the air nearly half the game and that side of the game on PES is stuck in 2005.

You may prefer PES, but the more realistic game is FIFA. I don't really think there's an argument to that.
:LOL:

If that's the best reason you can come up with then that's a pretty lame argument. I will admit that the aerial battles aren't the best on PES, but you can still use super cancel and contest for the ball... At least on PES when you cross the ball into the box, more than two players can go for it and it's not scripted.

Every player on FIFA has perfect first touches, how can a game be realistic when this is the case? First touches are a massively important part of football.

Every player can pass accurately at any angle - yeah, now you can get a "bad pass" that bobbles a bit (the only thing "Pro Passing" does), but you can pass around and score ridiculous passing goals with loads of consecutive one-twos (ping-pong passing) even with players who aren't that good at passing.

Players use their weaker foot way too much, and are still too accurate with it. It's not as bad as FIFA 10 for weak foot accuracy, but how can a game be realistic when you hardly even have to know your players stonger foot?

Players are almost identical to one another - Again the only real noticeable changes come from sprint speed, strength, shot power and agility... On PES every player is different and you look to get your more technical players on the ball as often as you can... How can it be realistic when players/teams will feel the same to control?

The shooting/keepers are massively scripted - With Kaka in the arena, you can hardly beat the keeper from distance... This is one of the best players in the world with absolutely no pressure on him. The ball moves fast when you hit it "hard", but it never feels like it has any weight behind it...
In the match, you already know where you can and can't score from, as in FIFA 10 - how can a game simulate football when you have to turn down shooting opportunities because you know the keeper will save it with 100% certainty?
Most of the goal videos I see are, again (as in FIFA 10), diagonal long shots into the far corner... Most of the goals I've scored have been VERY similar, there's not much variation and hardly any goals actually look remotely realistic.

Pressuring, although toned down from 10, is still way too effective to be realistic... Try doing this on PES and it will fail... Defending on PES is actually a skill where timing and good judgement is needed, you can show players onto their weaker foot or away from goal and it works... FIFA it's just run and run until you get the ball...

Dribbling in PES is much more realistic, with you being able to beat players by using little body feints and using the defender's momentum against them, on FIFA you either have to try and boom past them with a right stick knock-on or use loads of tricks... I know it's possible to use skill dribbling or close control, but it absolutely does not feel natural on FIFA.

In multiplayer, it's the same old fast pressure-fest with ping-pong passing and identical goals (finesse & chip 90% of the time) and against the CPU, they play the same most of the time and never score (I'm yet to concede against the CPU...) so neither of those is realistic. Maybe manual multiplayer? Nope, manual by definition isn't realistic.

I could go on...

I have no problem with people preferring FIFA 11, but to say it is a more accurate representation of football than PES 2011 is an absolute joke and completely false.

PES isn't perfect but at least most of the fundamentals are done correctly, FIFA has them all wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course our opinions are just that, opinions, but PES really impresses me in all the little footballing aspects, from first touch to pacing to individuality to passing to strategy, and I think it's extremely realistic.
IMO the PES AI is nowhere near good enough to make it play an extremely realistic game of football. Off the ball movement is poor and binary, player behaviour is still mostly one-paced, you can still pass-pass-pass through midfield with typical video-game ease, you can still strike balls at angles that should be impossible with that part of the foot, through balls are too easy, bicycle kicks too common, strange ball physics on ground passes, Barca in the demo do not play like Barca... from my experience with the demo and watching various videos I feel that claims like 'extremely realistic' and 'I was watching football on the tv and it looked like PES' are somewhat excitable.

Personally I have more fun playing the FIFA11 demo than the PES2011 demo. My initial impressions are that this is looking like it will be the best FIFA yet, and similarly lots of other people are saying it's the best PES, at least in recent years. While it's always great to provide feedback on how either title could improve in depth and authenticity and things like that, I also think its a shame if we get too hung up on the realism aspect to enjoy whichever series you choose, because ultimately both will fall short in that regard.

Last edited:

It must be the way I play the game as I just can't see how PES plays a more realistic game. Watching the stuttering about and the way the ball moves just doesn't feel like a more realistic game to me. I don't play FIFA cos it's smoother. I play it as it feels more realistic and flows better. I'm a manual passing player type of guy and I just prefer the way the ball moves about.

I don't see all this barging going on in FIFA's midfield either. I don't run with the ball much though so that could be why?

I'll play PES some more before full release though and maybe something will click but it hasn't so far. I'm not loyal to either game and will play what is the best one for me.

:LOL:

If that's the best reason you can come up with then that's a pretty lame argument. I will admit that the aerial battles aren't the best on PES, but you can still use super cancel and contest for the ball... At least on PES when you cross the ball into the box, more than two players can go for it and it's not scripted.

Every player on FIFA has perfect first touches, how can a game be realistic when this is the case? First touches are a massively important part of football.

Every player can pass accurately at any angle - yeah, now you can get a "bad pass" that bobbles a bit (the only thing "Pro Passing" does), but you can pass around and score ridiculous passing goals with loads of consecutive one-twos (ping-pong passing) even with players who aren't that good at passing.

Players use their weaker foot way too much, and are still too accurate with it. It's not as bad as FIFA 10 for weak foot accuracy, but how can a game be realistic when you hardly even have to know your players stonger foot?

Players are almost identical to one another - Again the only real noticeable changes come from sprint speed, strength, shot power and agility... On PES every player is different and you look to get your more technical players on the ball as often as you can... How can it be realistic when players/teams will feel the same to control?

The shooting/keepers are massively scripted - With Kaka in the arena, you can hardly beat the keeper from distance... This is one of the best players in the world with absolutely no pressure on him. The ball moves fast when you hit it "hard", but it never feels like it has any weight behind it...
In the match, you already know where you can and can't score from, as in FIFA 10 - how can a game simulate football when you have to turn down shooting opportunities because you know the keeper will save it with 100% certainty?
Most of the goal videos I see are, again (as in FIFA 10), diagonal long shots into the far corner... Most of the goals I've scored have been VERY similar, there's not much variation and hardly any goals actually look remotely realistic.

Pressuring, although toned down from 10, is still way too effective to be realistic... Try doing this on PES and it will fail...

Dribbling in PES is much more realistic, with you being able to beat players by using little body feints and using the defender's momentum against them, on FIFA you either have to try and boom past them with a right stick knock-on or use loads of tricks... I know it's possible to use skill dribbling or close control, but it absolutely does not feel natural on FIFA.

In multiplayer, it's the same old fast pressure-fest with ping-pong passing and identical goals (finesse & chip 90% of the time) and against the CPU, they play the same most of the time and never score (I'm yet to concede against the CPU...) so neither of those is realistic. Maybe manual multiplayer? Nope, manual by definition isn't realistic.

I could go on...

I have no problem with people preferring FIFA 11, but to say it is a more accurate representation of football than PES 2011 is an absolute joke and completely false.

Sounds to me that youve put this on full assisted for like 10 mins and not give it a chance. Put this on full manual and play for a couple of hours. I reakon at least 80% of your issues above will be resolved.

Sounds to me that youve put this on full assisted for like 10 mins and not give it a chance. Put this on full manual and play for a couple of hours. I reakon at least 80% of your issues above will be resolved.
I played on manual almost exclusively in 09 and 10, and have used it on the 11 demo, but most of the issues still exist (well, all of them apart from the assisted multiplayer thing), and manual just makes every player even more identical, further taking away any realism...

Manual FIFA requires a lot of skill and practice, and is satisfying to succeed with and can be fun, but it's not realistic.

However, manual long balls don't even feel free in 11, and the regular passes are way underpowered :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you wont stop going on about it?
Not this again... That was a Stu-esque comment :P.

This is a forum, it's to express opinions and debate things... And I got involved in this because Sbu implied that it's only really "PES fanatics" who have complaints with Fifa...

I totally agree. Sounds like assisted passing to me. Without picking holes, only last night Alex Song had a very heavy touch when controlling a long pass and i lost possesion. Cant see the perfect touch for every player myself.

I played on manual almost exclusively in 09 and 10, and have used it on the 11 demo, but most of the issues still exist (well, all of them apart from the assisted multiplayer thing), and manual just makes every player even more identical, further taking away any realism...

Manual FIFA requires a lot of skill and practice, and is satisfying to succeed with and can be fun, but it's not realistic.

However, manual long balls don't even feel free in 11, and the regular passes are way underpowered :(.

I don't see how the manual passing is any better in PES though? Not for me anyway. Manual in FIFA is 95% of the time me playing it though and not the AI. That's what I want out my gaming time. It's dumbed down since 10 though and I generally still pass the ball around very well. Impossible to pingpong though so I'm pretty happy.

I'm hoping regular passes will have a tiny bit more power in them too. They are too slow on occasions.

Last edited:
@ Max, re reactions,

Have you tried adjusting the settings for control? You can choose free, low or high ( or something like that) in relation to keeping the AI player moving in his direction for a while when you take over control. So no more having an AI defender run after the ball only to see him change directions back and forth when you take control of him. Or something like that. Don't know if it will help, but I have noticed "my" player being a bit slow when taking control due to that setting.

Played all the matches yesterday on WC with passingpower on. Felt fine, and actually liked the fact I could underhit a pass in CM to slow the pace down. Maybe it's to do with the gamespeed setting, I had it on normal and the passes seemed off, now I have it on slow and they seem fine. Ah well........It's starting to grow on me now.

Genuine query here, as I'm not quite into full manual controls, yet, even coming from Fifa 09 and 10, but I'm interested to know how long it takes to actually master manual passing/shooting. I mean, is it an hourly thing that suddenly clicks, or does it take weeks/months of work to become accustomed to the change in assistance - or lack of as it were?

I really want to be able to completely switch to full manual but when I've tried it in the past for prolonged periods, I've been frustrated. Is there any easy way of flowing into it? Perhaps starting on Amateur and working up, or is it best to be thrust straight in on Pro or World Class and learn from mistakes?

Yep. Happens to me too. No biggy as I just don't hit pause anymore.

Back
Top Bottom