FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

7 August 2004
Liverpool
Not that I have played it, seeing as I couldn't log in to any playstation network thismorning. :RANT:

But atleast you lot can fill me in before I get home. :D

Max said:
One word: meh.

Heading out so just real quick: Certainly an improvement over 10 but same old crap for the most part. Defending is the same: mash button and watch defender barge straight through dribblers and come out the other side with ball. Pressure button a little less effective but not by much.

Personality+ is a joke. Definitely noticed a difference but very small and mainly at the extreme, e.g. Messi and Ronaldo. Pro Passing also seemed too little a factor to deserve the name, but as I'm an all manual player I'm probably not the best to comment. Still really bothered me the CPU rarely dropped below 90% passing. Also, same problems with manual passing - not enough difference between through pass and regular direct pass.

Ball physics in general are crap, IMO. Feels like you're kicking an old leather ball around - sounds like that too! - and shot power is far too weak. Also some crosses float in the air. On the positive, I really liked the new bouncing lob pass, when I remembered to use it.

Physical play is better in that it's now more balanced between offense and defense, but physicality is still too much a factor. Too often players knocked from position without foul called, but I'd need more time with this to say for sure.

Overall, there's no joy in game. It just feels boring and it doesn't appear that enough has been addressed. That said, I'm sure I'll end up buying it, the sucker that I am, although I'll be playing the pes demo tomorrow and you never know...

(btw, I played on ps3 while I'm used to xbox and I really struggle with the ps3 controller, so I plan on downloading for xbox too and maybe my impressions will be more positive the.)

Billyboy said:
SHOCK HORROR. FIFA 11 IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD.

FIFA 11 Demo Impressions

Just finished downloading the demo from the US PS Store. It's over 1.5GB in size. Managed to play 6 games.

You start off with Kaka in the arena and immediately you feel the difference compared to the World Cup game. It feels a lot more smoother (if it's possible!) and refined. The movement felt great as did the shooting.

My first match was FC Barcelona (me) away against Real Madrid CF. The menus load quicker. I hope that remains for retail and are presented better. All my settings were set to semi and manual with analog sprinting.

As soon as the match kicked off you can feel the differences. It's difficult to see on video but the ping pong passing is all but gone at least on semi now. My passes were either misplaced or too weak/powerful.

There is definite individuality now but it's nowhere neat the level of PES. Ronaldo felt like Ronaldo and was quick on his feet as was Messi and Drogba was damn strong.

That brings me onto the new 360 degree physicality. I hated FIFAs OTT physicality in the past but this felt really good and more toned plus it looked great.

The defensive AI has always been a problem in FIFA games as it's often too high up the pitch allowing for repetitive 1 on 1 goals but it's definitely better this year. There is still room for improvement though.

Shooting is the best it's ever been. I can finally hit low grounded shots now. Analog sprinting worked well but wasn't a major factor. Graphics are better than before but kits and player likeness are nothing like PES 2011. Stats under the scoreboard
were a nice touch. In terms of audio the commentary was great as usual.

Overall I'm really impressed. I wasn't thinking much of it after seeing the videos and after how great PES 2011 has been but you really need to play it to experience the differences. Is it better than PES 2011 this year? I doubt it but I will wait for the retail versions. Whether this version of FIFA can remain fresh 6 months + down the line remains to be seen but for the first time in many years (maybe ever?!) there looks to be 2 great football games on the market this year and that's great for us!

Ant0n said:
Downloaded the demo before work. I played one game and this is what I found. I played semi as an Experienced player so O dpn't know if that means the difficulty was on WC or Legendary. Lost 1-0 to Barca as Madrid and found myself while playing that I didn't even have to pay attention to the pass meter. I kid you not I never looked at the power bar once and I passed pretty well. I noticed a difference with the weighting of passes, but nothing significant. So I am sure after few I games I'll get the hang of it and be able to ping it around well enough like last year. Pro Passing as of now is alright.

Personality + I find to be a bit more apparent because I really felt that when dribbling with Ronaldo that I could glide past people. I nice touch during the game was a backheel by Ronaldo near the sideline with a manual through pass. I liked it because it felt that unlike last year where I had to aim perfectly behind my player to perform a back heel that now I could aim I'd say 25 degrees in one direction and pull of a backheel that is not a sent directly backwards. Other nice improvements is the responsiveness after doing tricks like a ball roll that I can quickly change directions.

rickyricc said:
I played about 12 matches all on legendary.. Leverkusan were actually probably my toughest opponents & barca from time to time.. Something that I hate with Fifa is the fact that most teams do feel & play the same apart from the odd player here & there.. It's a step up from last years game but a 3 min half isn't going to do the game any justice..
Seems to be some bugs in the demo aswell like the AI being shockingly bad with PKs & some wierd physics on the ball now & then.. Bit it's not a final build so hopefully will be ironed out..

Last edited:
First 20 seconds of the game were enjoyable simply because I hadn't played FIFA 10 all that much and this one felt much slower, and just new and different. But it almost feels like they just toned down the speed on both sides of the ball. Attackers and defenders are simply slower than they were in the last game but I still got run down and knocked off the ball by Xavi while controlling Mikel.

A few more games in and I don't know if I'm going to keep my pre-order. A bunch of people that I play with online will be getting it but I don't wanna go through another year of screaming at the screen because I'm getting knocked off the ball.

CPU pressure too much in the demo and still do the turn left and right really quickly just before a tackle to get away from you. Then they'll ping a 180 pass on you (that was actually done by Sissoko to me a few minutes ago).

Played a buddy who was on Assisted while I was on fully manual and I was trying to jockey and stay in front of the open players in the area to cut out passes. Once the pass is made it just goes past my guy without him trying to steal it. Only once did i actually intercept a pass and that was because he passed it directly to my player. Pro Passing doesn't exist.

PKs suck.

Personality+, as someone said in the main FIFA 11 thread, is really only apparent for Messi, Ronaldo and, from what I could remember from the times I played with Barça and Madrid, Pique.

That Higuain/Berbatov turn from the demo? The CPU did that to me like 5 times already. Trying to close them down as they run to the goal line results in them making an impossibly quick turn in the other direction, leaving you in the dust. Hopefully human opponents can't dribble like this but CM is going to be tough to get into once again.

With three minute halves it's hard to tell how much of an effect the new fatigue system (if it's in here) has on the game but the CPU once again does the sub out a different player (sometimes 2) during 2-3 consecutive dead balls near the end of the game.

Overall, game is much slower than the videos, but if Pro Passing is still as easy as it appeared (the guy I was playing against knows absolutely NOTHING about soccer), it's not going to be fun online.

I also hope that the assist that move your players to ball in the air and loose balls is locked to off when you play online. I like having to run to balls on my own. Seems like it's something that most midly intelligent human beings should be able to get the hang of. After all (and I keep coming back to this game) NBA 2k10 doesn't make you run to loose balls. It's not too hard to push the stick and go towards the ball if you really it, is it?

P.S., I linked my EA account to that Superstar crap on Facebook, but I don't have Arsenal in the demo? Is there something else that must be done to unlock them?

Last edited:
Played some this morning on the PS3 Version from the US Store, and it does not seemed to have changed much from Fifa 10 tbh. The only differences are the slightly better graphics, but it still has the floaty gameplay and does not feel like you can truly put together any move you want.

I am glad my decision is easy this year, PES 2011 destroys this.

You sir are crazy. Believe me. No offense.

PES 2011 destroys it? Are we talking about that shitty demo I've downloaded one week ago with that crappy ball physics and animations?

It will take at least 2 years to PES to come back to the challenge for the best soccer game. At least.

Of course if you just liked PES 2010 all I'm writing is useless.

I hated PES 2010, but 2011 makes Fifa 11 look amateurish. I always wanted a reason to ditch Fifa and now I have it, I won't be going back.

I hated PES 2010, but 2011 makes Fifa 11 look amateurish. I always wanted a reason to ditch Fifa and now I have it, I won't be going back.

I respect your idea, anyway it is not the same feeling I had playing the demo. It is, without doubt, a step in the right direction but we are far, far away from the gameplay and freedom that Fifa (I'm talkin about SEMI-ASSISTED and MANUAL controls) can offer.

I've been a huge Winning Eleven fan, but I'm still waiting for a nextgen PES. And I think I'll have to wait even more.

I respect your idea, anyway it is not the same feeling I had playing the demo. It is, without doubt, a step in the right direction but we are far, far away from the gameplay and freedom that Fifa (I'm talkin about SEMI-ASSISTED and MANUAL controls) can offer.

I've been a huge Winning Eleven fan, but I'm still waiting for a nextgen PES. And I think I'll have to wait even more.

Manual on Fifa is unplayable, Konami have given us a perfect default. Theres also no player individuality and dribbling past anyone is impossible on Fifa 11. Everything is also floaty, from the way players turn to the ball hanging in the air for eternity.

Manual on Fifa is unplayable, Konami have given us a perfect default. Theres also no player individuality and dribbling past anyone is impossible on Fifa 11. Everything is also floaty, from the way players turn to the ball hanging in the air for eternity.

Every year its the same. Like a stuck record.

Just played a couple of games, I have to drag myself to the gym, but one word sums up the experience, ARCADE. I have not played FIFA since about 2 weeks after FIFA 10 came out and I found it insanely easy.

I played on highest difficulty, semi passing with manual through balls and semi shooting. Used Barca first, passed straight from kick off to the back 4 and played it around with them, then to the midfield and there was no noticeable difference between the players, they all seemed to move the same, passing was very good with all players, I did not have to adjust my body position to play any awkward passes and all 1 touch passing found its targets with no problems. Throughout the game there were some passes that did not quite reach their destinations, some were slightly under powered and some were off to the left or right, most importantly I did not feel this was because of something I was doing wrong but just seemed to be random.

There was absolutely no pressure on the ball, I think you could probably get close to 100% possession if you tried, I finished both games with high 60's. There is far too much space to play in, my players always had plenty of time to pick a pass and there are always multiple free men to pass to. I could advance up the pitch at my leisure and never felt under any pressure until I started to get near the box.

Second game was with Real and I felt as though I was still playing with Barca, even the formation change was not really noticable.

The pace of the game was very much the same through out, probably because I could just keep passing forward and advancing.

The tackling was really easy, just hold down a button, run into the player with the ball and take it.

Shooting felt funny, there was no power behind the shots, infact passing felt this way also, even when fully powered up I had no feeling of really hitting the ball hard.

It looks horrible, just off, do not like the graphics at all. They are not bad but it just has an ugly look, might of been the colours.

I liked the commentary. The atmosphere in the stadium was not really noticeable, there was cheering but it wasnt something that was impressive or bad.

Overall it just felt very easy and as has been said "meh". I feel like the balance of last gen has been restored now, where PES is a deep and rewarding experience and FIFA is just a fun arcade game good for a laugh round your mates house.

lol "unplayable"

Or you just cant be bothered to learn

I have been playing manual since 08, there is absolutely nothing unplayable about it.

Konami has given you nothing perfect, the ball still goes to the wrong player(bcos the CPU thinks it knows better) and the play the pass was meant for stands a looks like a zombie.

I was going to reply to this PESvsFifa bait comment but whatever

Someone sent me a PM saying PES11 has no expliot bcos it perfect, thats the problem "perfect". WTF is perfect?

definition
Perfect - conforming absolutely to the description

So doesnt that make assisted passing, just EA labelled it perfect?

Dribbling is impossible in Fifa 11... lol are you having a laugh?

Again you PES supporters like using the same words

"It's impossible to foul! You just hold X and sprint and auto tackle!"

The ref blow if the tackler fail to get the ball, which happens more in 11 than 10.

Unlike PES11 we the ref will give a penalty for a perfectly good tackle, just bcos the other player ran into the tackler lol

Didn't notice this thread at first, here's my impressions:

Off the top of my head after 7~8 matches:

Pros:

- Lobs don't seem to be as overpowered as they used to be.
- can shield the ball a lot better with some players (Diego, Iniesta, etc.)
- physicality was toned down a bit, you can still eradicate the ball with X/double pressure but it's a little harder and you'll end up in fouling the opponent more often than not
- loving the new tackling animations/options
- stamina plays now a bigger role, too bad you'll notice this only in the last 10 minutes of the match

Cons:

- long balls still feel semi-scripted (as in the CPU defenders will intercept them 98 times out of 100 no matter what, pisses me off to no end), besides, their trajectory is waaaay too looped and floaty to pose any real threat unless the defense gets caught out of position (wasn't there supposed to be a sort of "mid-height-bouncing-ball" pass? How do you do them?)
- player switching is still ass
- crossing and heading haven't changed one bit, same old scripted shit
- no way passing is 360°
- stats seem to do very little to passes on full-manual, so much for their "personality+" bullshit
- ball seems too floaty sometimes, was better in WC 2010 imho
- too many fucking fouls
- too many offsides even with standard tactics

Dunno:

- full Manual feels...too assisted and plain, even when you do underhit/overhit or simply completely misplace your pass the CPU controlled receiver will adjust his position in order to receive the ball, right before you gain control of him (I believe WC 2010 introduced this feature? With auto-switching It's like I'm playing SWOS lol)
- Semi-assisted + pro-passing or whatever on the other hand just feels random as fuck

All in all, very little has improved since the World Cup game, I doubt I'd buy this if it wasn't for TAMFA competitions cause it definitely ain't worth 59 Euro.

Let's see how Winning Eleven/PES 2011 fares now (downloading the demo off of the Japanese store as we speak).

Did anyone of you played the dem anyway? I'm stunned for some reasons:

Pingpong passing? lol no way. There a so many failing passes even with barcelona. After reading this forum for some days and keeping the rutter twitter thing in mind, i had mixed feelings about what i can expect. But what i see now is a beautiful football game with so many improvments:

Passing is brilliant! Its hart to play onetouch football with more then 2 or 3 player, because the ball goes to slow or goes to the opponent.

Most of the time you fight in the midfield for the ball with many struggling and bodychecks.

Shooting feels like the you realy go all in with strength if you want to. The animations on that are awesome. So it is with R1 Shots, they look realy done with sense/feeling.

Holding X for pressure is not the same anymore. As EA statet, the defender slows down just right before he gets to the ball, so the attacker can react with some nice passes or tricks to get past him.

It's a outstanding game and if there is anybody saying that this demo does not change much since fifa10, i can only and clearly say: You lie or you know nothing about footballgames.

Sry for bad english!

Last edited:
Did anyone of you played the dem anyway? I'm stunned for some reasons:

Pingpong passing? lol no way. There a so many failing passes even with barcelona. After reading this forum for some days and keeping the rutter twitter thing in mind, i had mixed feelings about what i can expect. But what i see now is a beautiful football game with so many improvments:

Passing is brilliant! Its hart to play onetouch football with more then 2 or 3 player, because the ball goes to slow or goes to the opponent.

Most of the time you fight in the midfield for the ball with many struggling and bodychecks.

Shooting feels like the you realy go all in with strength if you want to. The animations on that are awesome. So it is with R1 Shots, they look realy done with sense/feeling.

Holding X for pressure is not the same anymore. As EA statet, the defender slows down just right before he gets to the ball, so the attacker can react with some nice passes or tricks to get past him.

It's a outstanding game and if there is anybody saying that this demo does not change much since fifa10, i can only and clearly say: You lie or you know nothing about footballgames.

Sry for bad english!
23610_324002183207_324001543207_3541626_8262941_n.jpg

Just played a couple of games, I have to drag myself to the gym, but one word sums up the experience, ARCADE. I have not played FIFA since about 2 weeks after FIFA 10 came out and I found it insanely easy.

I played on highest difficulty, semi passing with manual through balls and semi shooting. Used Barca first, passed straight from kick off to the back 4 and played it around with them, then to the midfield and there was no noticeable difference between the players, they all seemed to move the same, passing was very good with all players, I did not have to adjust my body position to play any awkward passes and all 1 touch passing found its targets with no problems. Throughout the game there were some passes that did not quite reach their destinations, some were slightly under powered and some were off to the left or right, most importantly I did not feel this was because of something I was doing wrong but just seemed to be random.

There was absolutely no pressure on the ball, I think you could probably get close to 100% possession if you tried, I finished both games with high 60's. There is far too much space to play in, my players always had plenty of time to pick a pass and there are always multiple free men to pass to. I could advance up the pitch at my leisure and never felt under any pressure until I started to get near the box.

Second game was with Real and I felt as though I was still playing with Barca, even the formation change was not really noticable.

The pace of the game was very much the same through out, probably because I could just keep passing forward and advancing.

The tackling was really easy, just hold down a button, run into the player with the ball and take it.

Shooting felt funny, there was no power behind the shots, infact passing felt this way also, even when fully powered up I had no feeling of really hitting the ball hard.

It looks horrible, just off, do not like the graphics at all. They are not bad but it just has an ugly look, might of been the colours.

I liked the commentary. The atmosphere in the stadium was not really noticeable, there was cheering but it wasnt something that was impressive or bad.

Overall it just felt very easy and as has been said "meh". I feel like the balance of last gen has been restored now, where PES is a deep and rewarding experience and FIFA is just a fun arcade game good for a laugh round your mates house.

So basically between Pes and Fifa , Pes is the most challenging ASSISTED game of the two is what you are saying? Because you dont play fully manual you wont get any depth from the game will you? Stands to reason complaining about depth but having controls set to semi bar the odd one.

Man, I really don't understand why people get so hostile if one person likes the other game. Does every impression need to completely slag off the other game? People have different tastes - you're not going to change their mind. So before anything gets messy - MAKE SURE THEY'RE PROPER COMPARISONS AND NOT "IT WILL DESTROY AND SHIT ALL OVER PES/FIFA" PLEASE.

I managed to get one match squeezed in this morning, and from that I would say it's Fifa 10 with a new haircut....however it was only 1 match, and I need to get a bit deeper for a proper experience.

I chose intermediate player, and was Barcelona against Real Madrid. I won 1-0 on a Villa goal, where I tackled the last defender who had the ball...a typical bad goal in Fifa 10 has carried over. I hope it was because of the AI-setting...

So basically between Pes and Fifa , Pes is the most challenging ASSISTED game of the two is what you are saying? Because you dont play fully manual you wont get any depth from the game will you? Stands to reason complaining about depth but having controls set to semi bar the odd one.

I played FIFA10 fully manual and there is no depth what so ever in using it, the ball goes where you want 100% of the time, player stats do not come into it. This is the reason why I played on semi passing because I wanted to test out player individuality and if the stats have an effect, this is what provides the depth in the game, not being able to manually guide a pass.

I really do not see the big deal about full manual, I liked it at first in FIFA10, it was a challenge, but after a week of playing I constantly had around 90% pass completion and the thrill was gone.
I would much rather the game decide if my pass gets to its target based on a number of variables than it being decided by my thumb, it takes away from the simulation. Having to use normal semi assisted passing and being able to mix it up with a manual when it is required is what works for me, you have the best off both worlds.

There really is a self important ego trip going on with alot of FIFA manual players from what I have read, get over yourself guys its really not that hard.

Downloaded the Fifa one and downloading the PES one, decided to try the PES one first because I've played a lot of the WC game so want to play PES from more of a fresh comparison rather than compared right away to Fifa11, will be playing both on my 120" projector screen :)

Cmon guys, lets not start this fifa11 vs Pes2011 bullshit again. This is FIFA11 DEMO thread for impressions. I wanna read what you all think of it and i dont wanna have to scroll through endless crap to find the odd post of worthy impression.

Downloaded the Fifa one and downloading the PES one, decided to try the PES one first because I've played a lot of the WC game so want to play PES from more of a fresh comparison rather than compared right away to Fifa11, will be playing both on my 120" projector screen :)

120",wow! thats about as big as my living room wall i think :SHOCK:

Sheesh what's with the 10 fucking minute PES trailer just because I accidentally went back to "top menu"? If that's after every single match I can see myself deleting it after 1 game.

Just quit the game and boot it up again. That's done in no time on the ps3. It is annoying, but would rather have that then the 3min halves fifa serves up.

for PC I suppose it's 4 min halves, but there's always a patch to force game time :)

someone with fresh impressions? how P+ and Pro Passing influence the gameplay? I would know something especially for the first...

I played FIFA10 fully manual and there is no depth what so ever in using it, the ball goes where you want 100% of the time, player stats do not come into it. This is the reason why I played on semi passing because I wanted to test out player individuality and if the stats have an effect, this is what provides the depth in the game, not being able to manually guide a pass.
(Spoiler because it's not about the demo)
The thing is, actions that play the ball (passing etc) account for so very few of the numerous attributes each player has. So I don't support this idea that Manual ruins individuality. There are many more ways in which a player is represented than just passing.

Besides, what makes a good passer in real life is not only about weight and accuracy of the ball. Equally as important are vision, timing and pass-selection, none of which can be simulated. They are down to you regardless of control scheme, but you're fine with that?

For me, the freedom of manual, the extra challenge and satisfaction, and the fact that it implements some form of human error (sadly lacking with assisted controls), makes it all worthwhile for the cost of losing a bit of individuality in passing accuracy... not that there was any in the first place...

Last edited:
The thing is, actions that play the ball (passing etc) account for so very few of the numerous attributes each player has. So I don't support this idea that Manual ruins individuality. There are many more ways in which a player is represented than just passing.

Besides, what makes a good passer in real life is not only about weight and accuracy of the ball. Equally as important are vision, timing and pass-selection, none of which can be simulated. They are down to you regardless of control scheme, but you're fine with that?

For me, the freedom of manual, the extra challenge and satisfaction, and the fact that it implements some form of human error (sadly lacking with assisted controls), makes it all worthwhile for the cost of losing a bit of individuality in passing accuracy... not that there was any in the first place...

I never said that manual ruins player individuality, although it does to an extent. I just wanted to test how player stats effect the passing and from what I remember from FIFA10 stats had no effect on the placement of manual passes.

I really do not understand your question after the second point. You are right in what you say, those things cannot be simulated, only pass selection could be hindered by semi assisted controls and that is why I chose to use manual through balls, to free things up.

Semi assisted really is not as rigid and inflexable as people make out, there is human error present. If you like the challenge of manual then great, I did at first but when I got used to it and could put the ball where I wanted nearly all the time it lost it's appeal.

Got the demo this morning and i must say that I really liked what i saw...

-Shooting is a lot better, u can get topspin on shoots a lot more frequent..u also see more fierce shoots specially from dificult angles.

-Passing, here is the biggest thing to me... IM AN ASSISTED PLAYER, i want player ratings to decide the outcome of plays not my skill.. so i could notice LOTS of diference by passing with Lampard and Alex.. with Lampard, its like if u were playing fifa10, quick and confortable, while with Alex i felt i was playing on manual! Really love the diferençe

-Physical game: Its still there and u can still feel the streanght of some players but in a better way, i saw a lot less players bumping on each other like in fifa10.

-Defense AI, imo its better too, its harder to get one on one chances, and that makes u pass the ball around the pitch a lot more.

-GFX: love the improvment, player models are great this year and the diferent sock styles really add to player individuality, Amauri is finnaly himself! :D

-LOVED THE TRIANGLE LOOSE NET..absolutle south american feeling.

Back
Top Bottom