FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

Sorry, but PES 2011 is better imo and I hated the previous 3 games so I know what I am talking about!

Great, glad you found a football game that fulfils your criteria :)

and the movement off the ball from your teammates?
there are variety?
or you end doing always the same thing because of the lack of options??

Yep variety seems better, see players popping up out of position for varied attacks.

Players make good attacking runs from the off. My first game as Real and my wingbacks had bombed on without me telling them to.

Think i will delete this demo as it hangs a lot, and is so short. The full game promises to be good - but potentially could be ruined by online exploits, time will tell.

Oh and Manual feels less like manual than ever on this game.

Still cant tell the difference in players im controlling either really.

Shooting is much better.

Lots more tackle animations and types of challenge - but defending is still a case of hold X and hope for the best.

Sorry, but PES 2011 is better imo and I hated the previous 3 games so I know what I am talking about!

What exactly are you apologising for? If you're happy with PES 2011 then you're sorted. No need to keep venturing in here to voice how good it is, unless you're trying to convince yourself? :COOL:

Every one has a different opinion. I haven't played either yet, but I'm fairly sure it's going to be a bloody close call this year.

WTF. I thought the FIFA demo was only for PS+ users today? I went on to get the PES demo and ended up wanting both. Got to wait for 3gig of downloads now!

What exactly are you apologising for? If you're happy with PES 2011 then you're sorted. No need to keep venturing in here to voice how good it is, unless you're trying to convince yourself? :COOL:

Every one has a different opinion. I haven't played either yet, but I'm fairly sure it's going to be a bloody close call this year.

Sorry I just lolled at the sorry comment!

I guess I want former PES enthusiasts to come back!

My concerns about playing manual in the demo!
http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/0/6086.page#57649

I've given my manual controls a good go this afternoon, only to depressing end up bored and fed up with this game already.

First technically Manual is broken compared to FIFa 10/FWC ! The x button is totally useless (it feels like the ball only goes in 16 directions!), so basically you pass using the through ball button only which is OK when playing vs Barca, but very, VERY easy vs anyone else and almost assisted like at times (I'll get back tot his later).

I beat Barca on legendary with Leverkusen after a few games, the usual counter attack, non existent defending and scored by the cutback even! (on full manual).

The CPU doing skills was nice at first but now it's repetitive and your not arsed when they get past you since it's already apparent they only score from the same angles!

Iniesta rugby tackling Ballack off the ball? What's that about? Wheres the game balance? So you make it so Barca have force fields around them and any player can easily knock me off the ball? The jostling system needs a rework from scratch for FIFA 12, it's like watching a cartoon! Also Leverkusen's player models look terribly cartoon like!

What really got to me was i was playing as Leverkusen vs Barca really to make it as hard as it possibly could on the demo, as soon as i won, i though, hey maybe it was lucky, but the picked Lyon vs Madrid and DOMINATED the whole game Madrid didn't even make any sort of attack. Also using the triangle (through ball button, it was just so easy to thread * behind the defense. I knew why this was. Barca are harder simply because they pressure you, while Madrid's pressure is average! With No defensive AI it's easy to walk through them!

Whether it's manual or assisted you basically play the same way over and over again! The premise of FIFA 10 where fast attacks rule over anything is STILL there! The old faults from FIFA 10 are still there . I can't see any point in myself playing this game, or anyone who whats a realsitic football game will be wasting their time imo.

I'll be back with videos for the devs to help them make FIFA 12 into a sim game hopefully!

Last edited:
Played a fair few games this afternoon, and here are my first impressions.

It's an improvement over 10, as expected the animations are superb and the lighting is much better.
However, it still plays NOTHING like football, even on manual, and on assisted it's an absolute joke as Pro Passing does fuck all so ping-pong passing is still easy, every player can finish one-on-ones with ease, first touches are 100% perfect... Same problems as 10 basically.

Personality+ is barely noticeable with the only attributes I really feel being (again) speed, strength and shot power.

The shooting/keepers are still as predictable as ever - in the arena with Kaka, you can barely beat the keeper from 25 yards... This is one of the best players in the world with absolutely no pressure on him... Even with Lampard the shots feel weak most of the time, and even when you do hit them "hard", it just seems like the ball is just moving fast rather than actually being whacked really hard (hard to explain).

The heading is improved but the way it works just sucks... 1v1 aerial battles where most of the time the players are standing underneath the ball and can hardly use the pace on the ball... Add to that how the crossing is absolutely shit and your best bet is to just pass infield and do the good old "pass - trigger run - pass - trigger run - through ball - finesse into far corner" :ROLL:.

The AI seems no better than 10, and just as boring to play against - on the hardest difficulty I never conceded one goal (or even looked like conceding) is all of the games I played.

I can tell that it's going to get repetitive in the way that 10 did - the goals that I scored were all very similar and pressuring was still too effective...

Last edited by a moderator:
Saves the game from what?

I've played handful of games on both FIFA and PES now and the fact that I want to go back and play FIFA more tells me which is better. It's much better polished, plays a more fluid game and the movement (both animations of players and AI teammate movement) is streets ahead.

This demo is fooking brilliant, everything just fits! The passing, the pace, defending, ... all tuned to perfection.

I'm absolutely in heaven with this FIFA11 demo!

This is one happy trooper, gonna play some more now.

Cheers

Played 10 games now and still not sure about this game. Damned 4 minutes it is way to short.

So only quick feedback about some gameplay things i'm already sure of

- shooting is much better (then it was in FIFA 10). The ball has more weight and you can hit some hard (low) shots now.
- gamespeed (slow) is fantastic.

- unfortunately crossing (semi again) still feels bad. Sometimes to floaty sometime way to fast and i always feel i don't have much control here.

That's all i can say at this point. I need some more games and will take a deeper look into the KI now. Damned 4 minutes.

This demo is fooking brilliant, everything just fits! The passing, the pace, defending, ... all tuned to perfection.

I'm absolutely in heaven with this FIFA11 demo!

This is one happy trooper, gonna play some more now.

Cheers

@Ruttski

It's an improvement over 10, as expected the animations are superb and the lighting is much better.
However, it still plays NOTHING like football, even on manual, and on assisted it's an absolute joke as Pro Passing does fuck all so ping-pong passing is still easy, every player can finish one-on-ones with ease, first touches are 100% perfect... Same problems as 10 basically.

Personality+ is barely noticeable with the only attributes I really feel being (again) speed, strength and shot power.

The shooting/keepers are still as predictable as ever - in the arena with Kaka, you can barely beat the keeper from 25 yards... This is one of the best players in the world with absolutely no pressure on him... Even with Lampard the shots feel weak most of the time, and even when you do hit them "hard", it just seems like the ball is just moving fast rather than actually being whacked really hard (hard to explain).

The heading is improved but the way it works just sucks... 1v1 aerial battles where most of the time the players are standing underneath the ball and can hardly use the pace on the ball... Add to that how the crossing is absolutely shit and your best bet is to just pass infield and do the good old "pass - trigger run - pass - trigger run - through ball - finesse into far corner" :ROLL:.

The AI seems no better than 10, and just as boring to play against - on the hardest difficulty I never conceded one goal (or even looked like conceding) is all of the games I played.

I can tell that it's going to get repetitive in the way that 10 did - the goals that I scored were all very similar and pressuring was still too effective...

Agree with most of this except the shooting part, big improvement over 10 for me. AI is poor, have conceded only once in now 15 games and they keep doing those Zidane-spins in midfield...

Having said that, manual with a friend is still great fun, not sure if it's worth shelling out 60 euro's for though.

Pro Passing does fuck all? :SHOCK:

I can't put 3/4 passes together against the AI on legendary because of it. Almost feels like manual.

There's no 'wow' factor to it.

It's not terrible by any means, better than 10 in areas but just not good enough for me.

No No, you have to pick one and defend it for the rest of the year. That's how it works at Evo-Web. Otherwise someone will get the Banhammer out! ;)

5min. till my download has completed. Will post up some impressions later.

It's FIFA 10.5.

I like the reduced pressure that the AI used to always put on you, but the pitch feels too small anyway so I still feel rushed to play a faster game compared to PES.

Shots have more weight and power behind them than I've found in PES, feels good.

Keep seeing the same stumble animations in FIFA, constantly the same animation, pretty annoying.

Can't notice the player personality at all, pretty much all players feel the same. Passing isn't great either.

It's a good game in its own right, but PES has my vote this year.

Bouncing lob is RB + X or R1 + Square (I think)

& There is a new animation for the chipped through ball

Pro Passing does fuck all? :SHOCK:

I can't put 3/4 passes together against the AI on legendary because of it. Almost feels like manual.
Maybe it's because I am already used to manual from 08/09/10 so I now aim/weight the passes automatically... but I played on assisted and did all the cheap tactics (ping-pong, pressure, cutbacks etc.) and they were way more effective and I scored more goals/had more possession than when I tried playing it at a slower pace, making the choices I would in real football...

PES "rainbow" passing thing is basically the same thing as "Pro Passing" but it is way more apparent - you can misplace and underhit/overhit passes by aiming/weighting wrongly, and the first touches actually make a difference... (direct comparison of a feature, not "fanboy" bashing :P)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know if the 5 second highlights after the match will be in the final game, or will we be able to adjust that ourselves? I would like to see the build-up to goals and shots, but 5 seconds just doesn't allow that...I'm on ps3 btw.

Otherwise enjoying the game, slow setting is actually too slow right now(!), but maybe that's because the halfs are so short.

Saw a great goalie animation, where I had a bad shot at close range, and he was waving his arms in a quick reflex, nowhere near the ball hitting him near his knees. He then threw himself after the loose ball and catched it fully stretched out. Nice one.

Can't sense Personality+, and have no idea what I should be looking for.

I think the "Passing Power Assistance" option is not very well described. It says "This setting is for Assisted and Semi assisted passing only. When set to on, the power of your pass will be slightly affected by the length of time you hold the pass button. Hold it too long and you will overhit your pass, too short and it will be under hit."
But what if it's off, will it then have a greater effect on my pass power, or none at all?

I've been playing a lot of Fifa 10 on professional these past days as Aston Villa, and have had some trouble winning, however on professional in this demo I have no problem at all (apart from scoring), keeping the opposition on 0 shots. Also they are very slow letting go of the ball, compared to the same level in Fifa 10, making it easy to 'auto-tackle' them in their own half.

Gonna play some more though, but I have to eat soon!

Absolutely no idea how people aren't noticing the new passing system.

It's the most blatant thing in the game. You know it is for those who play on assisted passing though right? I've always used that and I am finding it a lot tougher to create chances because of over/under hit passes and the odd one going astray.

The game definitely lends itself now to the patient build up but unfortunately it's hard to do that when you only have 3 minute halves.

Enjoying it though, certainly a lot tougher.

Great post.. exaclty my feelings

Really surprised to see all these comments about the supposed 'non-existent' pro-passing. Its one of the things that really stands out for me and is instantly noticeable. I am miss placing so many passes or not putting enough power on them. Its a million times better than in FIFA 10! I am honestly struggling to see how anyone can see it differently - its like night and day.

Personality+ on the other hand, IS pretty non-existent to me. Maybe it will come into play the more I play the game, but for me players mostly feel the same.

One of the biggest improvements for me are the headers and corners. Headers in general feel much, much more like a 50/50 battle and players such as Iaquinta and Drogba can really get some power behind the ball even from quite a high cross or corner.

Again as has already been mentioned, the pace of the game is much better. Even on the default setting the game is noticeably slower which certainly promotes better build up play.

Off the ball runs from AI teammates are really superb too. Wing backs constantly push up and bomb down on the wings, giving you more options. I've also scored a number of goals by players such as Lampard and Khedeira due to them making deadly runs into the box from midfield.

The demo didn't have an instant wow factor for me, but the more I play it, the more I enjoy it. Its all about the little things - for example, I scored a goal with Anelka from a driven shot outside the box. A defender in the box turned his back to try and block the shot, but instead it deflected off his back and past the outstretched arms of the keeper into the bottom corner. It looked absolutely brilliant and realistic.

Its things like this which remind me of Pro Evo of old. I was very rarely wowed by playing a PES game when it first came out, but after a few days I would fall in love. Thats why I'm loving this demo so far :)

Back
Top Bottom