FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

I agree.
Let's try not to talk about what's right or wrong concerning PES and let's talk about this demo.

Since I won't be able to play it 'till tonight and since "opinions are like balls, everyone has yours" (Eastwood) I'd like to read some impression by a guy that:

- Played a lot and enjoyed Fifa 10
- Switched to Fifa World Cup when it came out seeing big improvements between it and Fifa 10
- Doesn't play using Assisted Controls

If you're my man and you tried this demo, I'd like to know what you think please. Because your impression is easly what my impression will be.

Thanks.

I agree.
Let's try not to talk about what's right or wrong concerning PES and let's talk about this demo.

Since I won't be able to play it 'till tonight and since "opinions are like balls, everyone has yours" (Eastwood) I'd like to read some impression by a guy that:

- Played a lot and enjoyed Fifa 10
- Switched to Fifa World Cup when it came out seeing big improvements between it and Fifa 10
- Doesn't play using Assisted Controls

If you're my man and you tried this demo, I'd like to know what you think please. Because your impression is easly what my impression will be.

Thanks.

Im in that boat too dude.

Got the demo this morning and i must say that I really liked what i saw...

-Shooting is a lot better, u can get topspin on shoots a lot more frequent..u also see more fierce shoots specially from dificult angles.

-Passing, here is the biggest thing to me... IM AN ASSISTED PLAYER, i want player ratings to decide the outcome of plays not my skill.. so i could notice LOTS of diference by passing with Lampard and Alex.. with Lampard, its like if u were playing fifa10, quick and confortable, while with Alex i felt i was playing on manual! Really love the diferençe

-Physical game: Its still there and u can still feel the streanght of some players but in a better way, i saw a lot less players bumping on each other like in fifa10.

-Defense AI, imo its better too, its harder to get one on one chances, and that makes u pass the ball around the pitch a lot more.

-GFX: love the improvment, player models are great this year and the diferent sock styles really add to player individuality, Amauri is finnaly himself! :D

-LOVED THE TRIANGLE LOOSE NET..absolutle south american feeling.

What about the move of those nets? Are they realistic?

What about the move of those nets? Are they realistic?

Still not Football Kingdom but they move enough for me, u feel the net is a bit more heavier than it should, but still when u power it the net goes all the way back!
For me this is great, it really gives u the feeling of playing in south american stadiums like Maracana or Mineirao...

PES has made great strides since the awful previous console titles, however Fifa for me is still well ahead, really, really impressed with the Fifa11 demo, after all the whinging about it I wasn't expecting much but IMO it's great, lighting especially is hugely impressive and looks way better than 10 or even the WC game, playing on slow which has a good feel but possibly should be the normal setting and slow a bit slower but no real complaints there, ball speed is great, physicality is much improved, sliding and standing tackling looks and works great.

Only main bug is post match highlights are just as poor as ever, sometimes even missing goals off, hope it's a known issue.

PES has made great strides since the awful previous console titles, however Fifa for me is still well ahead, really, really impressed with the Fifa11 demo, after all the whinging about it I wasn't expecting much but IMO it's great, lighting especially is hugely impressive and looks way better than 10 or even the WC game, playing on slow which has a good feel but possibly should be the normal setting and slow a bit slower but no real complaints there, ball speed is great, physicality is much improved, sliding and standing tackling looks and works great.

Only main bug is post match highlights are just as poor as ever, sometimes even missing goals off, hope it's a known issue.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are, mate, and probably Nick, too, in that Career Mode will be my most preferred game type. It's good to hear that you think it's a decent demo. It certainly gives good indications that the full game will be a potential success, as well.

@ Placebo,

Did you play the WC game? And if so, do you feel the p+ is noticable enough? I thought 10 to WC had a decent improvement in player individuality. If the step is similar I might end up being pleasantly surprised.

Yes I played a lot of the world cup game, almost exclusively with Singapore but have just started an England euro qualifier group which is quite fun.

11 is much more improved in player individuality and the physical side and such, pro passing definitely makes a big difference in first time passing I find as a lot of my moves are breaking down because I'm not holding pass long enough (semi passing).

@Placebo: thank you very much, you've made my day!

reading the FIFA thread the last 2 days feels like a deja vu:
replace FIFA11 with PES2010 and replace David Rutter with Seabass and you are back into the famous PES2010 (2008/2009) forums...

I'm still enjoying WC2010 (which was another step into the right direction imo) Am I a casual gamer now?

I'll just quote myself from the EA forums:

kroketJL said:
First of all, I have already been playing the Pro Evolution Soccer demo for the past seven days and I like it. I don't love it however and really hoped EA would better Konami with FIFA 11 as I preferred everything FIFA had over what Konami had for the past few years. Clubs, lower leagues, much better gameplay and Virtual Pro are all aspects of the game which made FIFA more worthwile for me. Having played the latest PES demo however it looks like Konami are closing the gameplay-gap rapidly and I'll always prefer gameplay over everything else. With that out of the way, let's get going...

++
The biggest plus for me has to be the game pace, which has been toned down severely. Passing and sprinting are now much slower, which makes it less frenetic and look a bit more like proper football when you're on the ball. Playing against a mate of mine who feels the same way about football was fantastic, with no pressure abuse but skillful jockeying, closing gaps, cutting off passing lanes and varied buildup play, all at a fantastic pace. Well done EA.

+
My biggest fear was that Pro Passing wouldn't be implemented correctly. As a manual player I hate how assisted and manual players alike could make insane passes under huge pressure with pinpoint accuracy. I played on assisted just to check for PP and I was delighted to see there is most definitely a noticeable difference. I've misplaced quite a few passes and although I do feel the powering could be harsher, it's by no means unplayable and should go some way to fixing the online mess we saw last year.

+
Atmosphere. The pre-match routine is nice, the stadium sounds are much better than both FIFA 10 and PES 2011. The graphics are gorgeous, with the new turfs especially standing out. Some players look like a carbon copy of their real life counter part, you can see the amount of attention that's been paid to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. Bayer Leverkusen, not so much though.

+
Manual controls are even better than before. With the new Co-op camera it becomes even better, although this only applies to multiplayer. The AI still has a huge advantage over you, but manual v manual is fantastic and probably reason enough for me to get FIFA 11 again this year.

+
Be a goalkeeper looks fun. You can only try it out in the Arena but it looks like a slightly gimmicky but useful addition.

+
Shooting is less balloony now, your shots really pack a punch if you hit them correctly.

--
Opponent AI. The AI don't seem to have PP on at all. Every single pass is well weighted and accurate, which is a tad unfair and frustrating. They can still make those insane angles consistently, they never seem to underweight or overhit their passes. Secondly I have now played ten games, five on World Class and five on Legendary. I have yet to concede a goal and defending is WAY, WAY TOO EASY! Pressure abuse has not been fixed at all, you can still cheese your opponent with double pressure and when you are one the ball the AI won't hesitate to put you under a similar kind of pressure. Very disappointing.

-
I can barely notice Personality Plus. Yeah Ronaldo now has his fancy way of running in the game but I hardly noticed a playing difference between Xavi and Busquets, between Toulalan and Gonalons, between Renato Augusto and Barnetta. Technical players are once again completely unnecessary and as usual the physical aspect of the game is more important than anything else. Players can still barge through your back, holding the ball up is very difficult (but doable) and whilst you can glide past players without skill moves (and thus evading pressure) it still seems the onus is on physical play which is disappointing to say the least.

-
Three minutes per half is way too short for people who try to play in a realistic way. I regularly end up with either side having 70+% possession with barely any shots which is bad and not fun. Pro Evo gives you a full ten minute game which is much better, you can take your time and don't have to rush anything. I'm fairly certain I'd like the FIFA demo a bit more and the PES demo a bit less if the demo times were swapped as three minutes just doesn't allow you to properly build from the back and forces you to take risks and rush forward.

All in all I think it's fair to say I'm reasonably positive about the demo, from a neutral's perspective. I don't mind which game is better, I'll always pick whatever I like best. Until PES 6 it used to be Konami's franchise, after the mind blowing FIFA 08 I switched sides and now it finally looks like we have two quality football games to chose from. I'll have to play some more to make a well thought out decision but I also have to admit it's obvious Konami have been improving immensely and FIFA 11 has improved but could and should have done more. Player individuality is non-existant and that for me is the biggest drawback in a football game. Pro Passing is not bad at all and the experience for manual players has been improved considerably. The AI is still poor which seems to be impossible for EA to get right. Shame, as I am/was really looking forward to a realistic Career Mode.

In the end I'd score it a solid 8/10.

one more time i will going to ask something that majority here seems not bother to much...
how is the movement of the ball from your teanmattes?
very scripted and without any variations like FIFA09, FIFA10, FIFAWC or theres more variations in movement like FIFA08, when players constantly surprised me with different movement and sometimes going to one side of the field to another like real matches??

The movement seemed more organic but I haven't specifically watched out for it but I'll try :)

thanks placebo!!

i really hate the movement from teammates in this previous FIFA, except for the 08, that was really great...
i think that EA should implement the formation change in real time like always been possible in PES series...
this will add some much more variety and dinamic to the games...

oqha93jpg.gif

Man, I really don't understand why people get so hostile if one person likes the other game. Does every impression need to completely slag off the other game? People have different tastes - you're not going to change their mind. So before anything gets messy - MAKE SURE THEY'RE PROPER COMPARISONS AND NOT "IT WILL DESTROY AND SHIT ALL OVER PES/FIFA" PLEASE.

:LOL:

I wish the same, but some just hold a game too dearly to their heart it's not funny.

Anyway, my brief impressions of the demo, if anyone really cares. I'll begin with negativity first,

My main gripes:

- Pro passing is pro bull pr. There's no error to it. It's just that sometimes its over or under hit and that's it. I've made many perfect 180 degree passes with the :circle: using defenders. I was hoping one of them would place it in the wrong direction and fall on his ass, instead they were all inch perfect.

- Same floaty dribbling. I really hate this. It's the main reason why I stop playing the game after a few weeks. I just don't like how they run with the ball and turn with it, as they're more like hopping about and sometimes skating.

- First touch? I hope it'll be more noticeable with weaker teams, but it still should be at least somehow apparent in this demo.

- Crosses are somewhat, not sure how to put this, too dippy? Not sure if all of them are the same but so far every cross into the box has been quick, has quite an arc on it, and dips heavily.

- Not sure about the 360 passing again.

- Maybe it's just me, but when I'm in the arena playing with Kaka the game looks and feels more realistic than when the game switches from arena to the match. It suddenly looks weird. Maybe they should get the lighting or colors right?

What I like/don't mind:

- I like all the new stats stuff. The more stats the merrier for me :D

- Animations are cool here as always. A few more added here and there.

- Shooting feels good for me, the ball feels like a real ball, pretty weighty.

- PKs are fine. Like the idea. But not sure why most, if not all, lace the ball. Never seen a side footed one. Also many are slow, maybe I'll have to fill that green bar ever more.

- Game pace is good, but it all depends on how you play. You can have it arcady and run run pass pass or play like you'd do in a real match.

- Everything else, apart from -ves obviously.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Surprised to hear this (but in a good way)

There has been so much doom and gloom around both games this year (I've yet to play either) that it's nice to hear some positive stuff from someone that is as critical of the games as I can be at times.

Thanks for your early impressions.

Yeah, I have to say they pretty much nailed the pace of the game. Slow feels fantastic, playing my mate one v one with manual controls and slow game speed is brilliant.

Absolutely no idea how people aren't noticing the new passing system.

It's the most blatant thing in the game. You know it is for those who play on assisted passing though right? I've always used that and I am finding it a lot tougher to create chances because of over/under hit passes and the odd one going astray.

The game definitely lends itself now to the patient build up but unfortunately it's hard to do that when you only have 3 minute halves.

Enjoying it though, certainly a lot tougher.

Can you set game speed in this demo? Haven't noticed.

Yes you can, you can also set handballs as well which is nice cos I just won a pen with one as mentioned, I noticed now there's more times the ball hits the hands/arms so I guess it's because they now have a level of physicality, Cronaldo got away with one earlier as the ref was behind him and he handled it on his blindside!

Absolutely no idea how people aren't noticing the new passing system.

It's the most blatant thing in the game. You know it is for those who play on assisted passing though right? I've always used that and I am finding it a lot tougher to create chances because of over/under hit passes and the odd one going astray.

The game definitely lends itself now to the patient build up but unfortunately it's hard to do that when you only have 3 minute halves.

Enjoying it though, certainly a lot tougher.

I agree with you (although I'm on semi and manual for the other things with no semi such as long passing and through balls), it's a lot harder building up play and you can no longer constantly go forward if the pass really isn't open or you aren't about to pass with a very good player, I find myself having to pass backwards loads more than I ever have done in Fifa before because it's the only way I can avoid losing possession if the right opening for the right passer isn't available.

Well thought i'd not be impressed by this, but!

I have to say I think they have the game speed spot on this time and the shooting is much better, some niggles here and there but on a whole it's good fun.

Only played 1 game at lunch, but very much looking forward for another bash when I get in.

This is the best footy game ever. Ea have polished up the weak parts of last years game i.e. the graphics and headers, and fine tuned the gameplay even more to give us the most realistic footy game we have ever seen.

The only thing PES had on Fifa was better graphics and better shooting and headers, well although not perfect headers and shooting are much improved this time, and for me the graphics better what PES has to offer this year.

I would have gladly purchased both games this year, but after playing both demos, Fifa is still streets ahead. Much more realistic everything, with silky smooth animation, ball physics and perfect pace.

Its going to take a long time before I get bored of this!

Yes you can, you can also set handballs as well which is nice cos I just won a pen with one as mentioned, I noticed now there's more times the ball hits the hands/arms so I guess it's because they now have a level of physicality, Cronaldo got away with one earlier as the ref was behind him and he handled it on his blindside!

Nice! I'll try that, thanks :)

Playing as Real v Barca, noticed a few bad touches from my players and poor control, did a nice rabona pass with Cronaldo for an easy finish by Pedro Leon, best of all I just won a penalty for handball! Sadly Cronaldo chipped the penalty over the bar, tosser :(

Cue folk complaining about giving away freekicks and penalties because they have no way of stopping the handball's.

I welcome that addition, personally.

EDIT : Just noticed you can set them as an option. Is niiiice. No complaints from me.

Back
Top Bottom