FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

Genuine query here, as I'm not quite into full manual controls, yet, even coming from Fifa 09 and 10, but I'm interested to know how long it takes to actually master manual passing/shooting. I mean, is it an hourly thing that suddenly clicks, or does it take weeks/months of work to become accustomed to the change in assistance - or lack of as it were?

I really want to be able to completely switch to full manual but when I've tried it in the past for prolonged periods, I've been frustrated. Is there any easy way of flowing into it? Perhaps starting on Amateur and working up, or is it best to be thrust straight in on Pro or World Class and learn from mistakes?

Jump in at deep end fella. Passing isn't that hard at all imo. It's easier than it was in 10 anyway. Balls go awol now and then but generally, it's not much of an issue.

Crossing is harder. Shooting a bit hit and miss for me.

Genuine query here, as I'm not quite into full manual controls, yet, even coming from Fifa 09 and 10, but I'm interested to know how long it takes to actually master manual passing/shooting. I mean, is it an hourly thing that suddenly clicks, or does it take weeks/months of work to become accustomed to the change in assistance - or lack of as it were?

I really want to be able to completely switch to full manual but when I've tried it in the past for prolonged periods, I've been frustrated. Is there any easy way of flowing into it? Perhaps starting on Amateur and working up, or is it best to be thrust straight in on Pro or World Class and learn from mistakes?
I'm no master of manual controls, in fact people I've played with/against on FIFA 09/10 will know that I was pretty rubbish at it, but I'd like to think that I became fairly good at it near the end of my time with 10 by doing this a lot for practice:

Go into the lobbies, create a manual game, wait for a sucker to join who doesn't notice it's on manual and then play the match.

You get the chance to practice and improve your reactions to passing around constant pressuring (you don't get that against the CPU as much), you get a lot of the ball as the opponent can't keep it and you get a lot of crossing/shooting opportunities. You also get the chance to play lots of final killer passes as the pressuring takes their players out of position. Oh, and you get to piss off assisted chavvy wankers :D I got a lot of abusive messages! :LOL:
Can be frustrating to begin with, and you get the odd game when you just can't score, but keep with it.

Not sure if this will be possible in 11, but it worked for me :).

Last edited by a moderator:

It takes a good few weeks mate. I learnt manual in 08, i found semi and assisted too easy. The switch to manual opened up a lot more random gameplay elements especially in shooting and passing.

What ive found in 11 compared to ten is that long passing is reliant on the passer as well even though im on manual. In ten nearly every player could play a perfect long pass. For instance with Alonso i know that 9 times out of ten when i use this player and make a crossfield pass its more or less going to find my man bar an interception. However with lesser players its hard to get the power and accuracy right. Its easier with longer passes on manual than shorter ones though in my personal opinion. With it being totally free when playing one twos, or triangles you have to really think about it. You can lose possesion easily in crowded areas, but thats like real like. i love on manual the way i can knock it into space on the flanks. Last night as Arsenal, Clichy played it into Fabregas just passed the half way and first time i played a lovely stroked pass into the channel for Arshavin. Totally my doing. Of course theres times when i bugger up a simple pass too, and thats what i like.

But its the shooting i like the most. think about it, with semi and assisted teh cpu helps your shot stay close to the goal, thats not a good thing. Every goal i score on manual is my own doing, my own choice. Its harder to score but the results are worth it, when you do score its an achievement and you get great satisfaction. Also because your controlling your shot it leads to lots of unexpected efforts, dipped, swerve, deflections, all kinds.

Try it.

Last edited:
@ROB92

Your apparent lolz at my choosing of aerial play to pick out wasn't as this was because it was the ONLY thing I had, it was because it was such a glaring terrible piece of gameplay that I felt like it broke the game. So because I didn't write a fucking essay you are right and I am wrong.....

This whole forum is full of people who preferred PES in the beginning so I can understand where the love for PES comes from. I can't find any other forum that is bumming PES2011 as hard as this place. I changed in 09 and haven't been tempted back, the only things I'd take from PES would be the player kits, bodies and BAL mode.

There are definitely flaws in FIFA, but at the end of the day you can't expect EA to stop top class players from being top class. Pro Passing is nothing more than a power gauge, which I think is cheap, but it does add an error to the game. How many times in a 90minute football match do you actually see misplaced passes. You see bad passes in terms of decision making, but technically bad passes and touches are rare in a top class game. So to want to see more of them in a 6 minute demo representing a 90minute game is strange to say the least.

FIFA 11 really isn't scripted in the sense that I believe you're talking about. If you put in the same cross over and over there are several things you can do to change the outcome. This means either your definition of scripting is different to mine or that you actually pure ragdoll physics in your sports games, which we all know just wouldn't work as there is no one out there that is capable of making that game right now.

I also disagree on the scoring front, I've scored several types of goals on FIFA 10 and already scored several on FIFA. But no doubt that most goals come from decent shooting angles because, guess what IRL this is also the case.

I can see by the posts above that you are known as a serial FIFA hater of sorts, so I realise I'm preaching to the deaf, but I honestly don't know anyone apart from people on the internetz :CONFUSE: who prefer PES to FIFA.

Cheers for the advice, guys. Much appreciated. I'll certainly look into it. What I've found is that shooting is certainly more difficult than passing, manually. I also noticed that in F11 the assisted shots don't always end up on target. I've had shots going well wide or clearing the bar, whereas on F10 they always seemed to end up towards the goals.

I'll have a play around with the controls later on this evening on the demo.

@ROB92

Your apparent lolz at my choosing of aerial play to pick out wasn't as this was because it was the ONLY thing I had, it was because it was such a glaring terrible piece of gameplay that I felt like it broke the game. So because I didn't write a fucking essay you are right and I am wrong.....

This whole forum is full of people who preferred PES in the beginning so I can understand where the love for PES comes from. I can't find any other forum that is bumming PES2011 as hard as this place. I changed in 09 and haven't been tempted back, the only things I'd take from PES would be the player kits, bodies and BAL mode.

There are definitely flaws in FIFA, but at the end of the day you can't expect EA to stop top class players from being top class. Pro Passing is nothing more than a power gauge, which I think is cheap, but it does add an error to the game. How many times in a 90minute football match do you actually see misplaced passes. You see bad passes in terms of decision making, but technically bad passes and touches are rare in a top class game. So to want to see more of them in a 6 minute demo representing a 90minute game is strange to say the least.

FIFA 11 really isn't scripted in the sense that I believe you're talking about. If you put in the same cross over and over there are several things you can do to change the outcome. This means either your definition of scripting is different to mine or that you actually pure ragdoll physics in your sports games, which we all know just wouldn't work as there is no one out there that is capable of making that game right now.

I also disagree on the scoring front, I've scored several types of goals on FIFA 10 and already scored several on FIFA. But no doubt that most goals come from decent shooting angles because, guess what IRL this is also the case.

I can see by the posts above that you are known as a serial FIFA hater of sorts, so I realise I'm preaching to the deaf, but I honestly don't know anyone apart from people on the internetz :CONFUSE: who prefer PES to FIFA.
I won't bother trying to debate with you, it's not worth the effort when you seem so biased and call me a "serial FIFA hater" when I preferred FIFA 08, 09 and 10 to the PES counterparts and have explained my opinions on FIFA 11...

Rob will you be playing FIFA I thought you were firmly in the PES camp this year?...
It will be just PES for me this year. I just find it much more balanced and realistic...

Sorry, this is just a ridiculous statement.

Kick the ball in the air in PES 2011. Watch how two players are made to stand directly where the ball will fall and contest the header with no physical contact between to two.

This is exactly what happens on long balls basically 98 times out of 100 in FIFA, even on manual.

Stop being such a deluded fanboy.

Just wanted to add that I agree with rob that playing manual doesn't make the game more realistic, it just makes it harder.

As I am controlling the worlds best players, I don't think the fun for me is to make sure that I'm pointing the analogue stick in the perfect direction, I'm expecting the game to work out who I want it to pass to for me.

Other than that, he's a fucking knob cock twat robinho loving bumhole. :COOL:

Not tried Manual shooting on the Demo yet, TBH I have still to download it..:JAY: But I hope the shooting is better than 10 on this, I could handle everything else but shooting just never clicked for me...:CONFUSE:

Trust me Nick the shooting is miles better. Feels more weighty, dips and swerves. Reminds me of a refined Fifa 08 shooting mechanic.

This is exactly what happens on long balls basically 98 times out of 100 in FIFA, even on manual.

Stop being such a deluded fanboy.

I'm only a fanboy of football :PIRATE:

Also I do believe that you are entirely incorrect, or maybe I just imagined the jostling for position on the deck and how you can actually win the ball with a smaller player.

I also don't even know why you mentioned manual, like thats going to make a blindest bit of difference to the game mechanics in this instance. Oh dear.

Trust me Nick the shooting is miles better. Feels more weighty, dips and swerves. Reminds me of a refined Fifa 08 shooting mechanic.
Yeah, I felt that from the play-tests, it's the Manual shooting I had an issue with, the way I played the game in MM mode I often only got 2-3 good chances in a game and found I was missing most down to the Manual setting being far too loose if that makes sense... :P

I won't bother trying to debate with you, it's not worth the effort when you seem so biased and call me a "serial FIFA hater" when I preferred FIFA 08, 09 and 10 to the PES counterparts and have explained my opinions on FIFA 11...

It will be just PES for me this year. I just find it much more balanced and realistic...
You were the one above being accused of going on about how bad FIFA was earlier on so if that's not the case I apologise.

But I appreciate the way you just ignored my valid points under the guise of the 'you're not worthy' claim. I must remember to do this more often.

Just wanted to add that I agree with rob that playing manual doesn't make the game more realistic, it just makes it harder.

As I am controlling the worlds best players, I don't think the fun for me is to make sure that I'm pointing the analogue stick in the perfect direction, I'm expecting the game to work out who I want it to pass to for me.

Other than that, he's a fucking knob cock twat robinho loving bumhole. :COOL:

What's the point of playing with an interactive video game if the game plays for you? I want as much control as possible, whilst still being realistic, and still making me feel I'm playing with the real people - well, at the moment, manual is closer to that than assisted, or semi.

In terms of freedom, FIFA's manual is still on another planet - this year it's made a large jump too - passing is a lot better other than the weakness of the topend - curved passing finally properly implemented.

Yeah, I felt that from the play-tests, it's the Manual shooting I had an issue with, the way I played the game in MM mode I often only got 2-3 good chances in a game and found I was missing most down to the Manual setting being far too loose if that makes sense... :P

Don't worry about that, in Fifa 11 seems that manual shooting has some "assist". I've been able to shoot 3 consecutive times to the 3 different posts in the same play in full manual. You know as well as me that's impossible to achieve manually. Besides, shots tend to go to the goal more than before.

I haven't suddenly improved my manual shooting THAT much, take that for granted. It seems that full manual has had some tweaks this season and for the good. I've scored plenty of headers to the corners too, and not only with Amauri...

Not that I like it that much to be so "assisted", but you really are glad when you know you won't put your 2 only shots to the corner flag because you're in a very narrow angle.

Anyway, I'm still undecided between PES and FIFA this year. Both have terrible problems and great achievements.

I'll probably get PES to play the ML and enjoy a more tactical play, while I get Fifa to play full manual with the people I like.

But I really find Fifa boring and flat. There's nothing there that resembles the game I would have liked after these years. The pressuring and constant barging and fighting for the ball is just too much for me. I find it horribly looking and boring to have 360 barging everywhere all the time. There are NO interceptions in the game, meaning positioning counts for nothing, thus tactics being again something hardly noticeable.

Fifa excels in a lot of things, but really, they should totally change the tackling/pushing side of the game. If FIFA had the dribbling/tackling/footplanting implementation of PES, it would be an instant winner and everything would make sense. But as it is, most of the time it reminds me more of an arcade game than its previous installments.

Sorry to break it to you bud but PES does not have realistic gameplay than FIFA does.

People did not play PES5/6 bcos it was realistic, far from it but it was simply because it was a 'better' footy game at d time.

And why are you picking on FIFA's smoothness, animations n licenses anyway (conviniently leave gameplay out)? Watch a footy game on tv now ul realise that its smooth,
Everything is licensed n players move naturally (animations in FIFA). Now how on earth can u complain or not understand ppl preferring FIFA bcos of these things bcos they r a depiction of real life?

I find youe post to be ridiculous to the point of being hypocritical coz whenever PES gets new team licenses PES fans rejoice bcos of that, but u blame FIFA fans for liking FIFA's licenses?

I mean cum on, d PES community even go as far as editing kits, player names, team names themselves to get themselves a licensed game as possible yet u pick on these very things when referring to FIFA?

N i dont even want to talk about modes bcos i dont even play most of them (i normaly create tournaments which can also b done in PES). So modes add nothing to my buying decision. Its just about gameplay for me and i find FIFA's far superior.

Im sure I read somewhere on d forum ppl praising PES's 'improved' animation system, ppl say 'wow' I like that animation etc. Yet u cum on FIFAs side n u dont understand ppl bcos they like FIFA's better animation system? Lol.

Sorry to break it to you bud but PES does not have realistic gameplay than FIFA does.

Read post #410 for some reasons why I feel PES is more realistic... You've done nothing to convince me that Fifa is in this post.

People did not play PES5/6 bcos it was realistic, far from it but it was simply because it was a 'better' footy game at d time.
You may not have preferred PES because of how it represented football better, but I know I did, so you can't generalise and talk on behalf of everyone...

And why are you picking on FIFA's smoothness, animations n licenses anyway (conviniently leave gameplay out)?
I left gameplay out of the reasons for playing FIFA because I feel it is arcadey, pick-up-and-play unrealistic nonsense that neglects the fundamentals of football.

Watch a footy game on tv now ul realise that its smooth,
Everything is licensed n players move naturally (animations in FIFA). Now how on earth can u complain or not understand ppl preferring FIFA bcos of these things bcos they r a depiction of real life?

I find youe post to be ridiculous to the point of being hypocritical coz whenever PES gets new team licenses PES fans rejoice bcos of that, but u blame FIFA fans for liking FIFA's licenses?

I mean cum on, d PES community even go as far as editing kits, player names, team names themselves to get themselves a licensed game as possible yet u pick on these very things when referring to FIFA?
Watching football on TV since playing the PES demo has only reinforced how realistic it feels to me... I don't even think the animations are that bad... people are exaggerating.

How am I being hypocritical about licenses? I don't really care - I would play a game with zero licenses if I preferred the gameplay, of course it's nice to have them but it's a minor visual thing tbh, and I havn't really mentioned or "rejoiced" over PES' licenses...

If I can get patches that are simple to apply to fix the licenses of course I will do that... Doesn't mean I think it's massively important.

N i dont even want to talk about modes bcos i dont even play most of them (i normaly create tournaments which can also b done in PES). So modes add nothing to my buying decision. Its just about gameplay for me and i find FIFA's far superior.

Im sure I read somewhere on d forum ppl praising PES's 'improved' animation system, ppl say 'wow' I like that animation etc. Yet u cum on FIFAs side n u dont understand ppl bcos they like FIFA's better animation systrm? Lol.
You prefer FIFA's gameplay, fair enough.

I meant that I don't get why people would choose a game with fluid animations over one that gets the basics of the gameplay right, not that animations are insignificant...
As I said before, PES is not perfect, especially in terms of the animations, but nice animations + licenses does not = Realism.

Oh and please, get a spellchecker add-on for your browser or something, is English not your first language?

P.S. - Sorry for all the off-topic, I just felt I should reply to this post.

Christ. You leave a thread for a couple of weeks and all this happens.

I'm probably going to wait till November for the honeymoon to be over before posting what I think, which is pretty similar to Rob's views, especially on gameplay 'realism'. All I will say is that the AI in PES is better than FIFA's in most areas - it's just a lot less signposted and requires you to understand the hidden signals to release someone. It's a culture shock compared to FIFA and you just won't recognise how it works straight off the bat. That's the problem with making a game to last a year without making the first few days as accessible as possible.

Last edited:
All I will say is that the AI in PES is better than FIFA's in most areas - it's just a lot less signposted and requires you to understand the hidden signals to release someone.
I think FIFA's off-the-ball movement has improved on last year's. I've seen Fabregas make an OTB move at one angle, then spot a gap open up in the defence and re-route to exploit it, punishing it with a goal when the pass finally comes. I've seen Dani Alves bend curved runs in from the right, accelerating and decelerating along the way as he analyses when and where he's going to burst to.

In PES I see teammates stood stationary looking at me, or I see them sprint at one speed in a dead-straight line towards goal, stopping only when they find themselves offside. Sometimes I see two teammates making the same move to the same place at the same time. Often I see a wide expanse of grass on the wing that I want my teammate to drift laterally into to create an angle for a pass... but he doesn't help me out.

I'm missing a lot of signs! :)

Last edited:
Oh for god's sake people! Why did this spiral into another fucking PES vs FIFA debate. Jesus, can people learn to use Spoilers!????

One thing i've observed from the opinions is that the criticisms of PES seem to be the same from people who played FIFA 09/10 FWC. It's too clunky etc.. From what I'm taking in, they haven't quite got grips to the Pressure sensitive dribbling which works ENTIRELY differently to how FIFA dribbling system works! Going from FIFA to PES will be a big culture shock! The two games are programmed entirely differently and like Nick Cave is absolutely spot on. The games are so different you always going to get people that prefer either one!

I'll go into details here IN A SPOILER!!!! why i believe people who think PES is clunky, just haven't rally got the hang of the dribbling system, plus trapping etc..:

I'm making a small comp featuring loads of lovely runs from Iniesta and I'll show you this amusing comp from master Spooky!:
YouTube - PES2011 - Goal Compilation 2

That whole 'clunky' thing! I think it's down to players not getting to grips with 'Pressure sensitive dribbling'. Like i've said before. PES's dribbling system is based on pretty much only moving the player, With FIFA the ball is glued to the player like he's on a rail (hence the perfect first touches, magnetic ball control etc..!

Notice on FIFA 11, in the arena. When you knock the ball forwards or do a trick which makes the ball go a fair distance from Kaka. He walks back tot he ball, but he dosen't walk back to the ball naturally, it' s like he's being pulled by the ball magnetically to stay with it!

Also look around in this thread or in the discussion thread and Zenit fan noticed that when you knock the ball ahead with the right stick. Every player runs at the same pace! These are examples of the whole 'generic' way the game has been created! That's why I say FIFA is just nice, fancy animations, there's nothing else there and I'm really even impressed with these animations because they rarely factor in player attributes. You can still dribble well on PES without knowing how to use the Left stick pressure sensitive dribbling but this style at first simply won't be a silky smooth as fifa!

In PES the ball is always a separate entirety from the player, this is what allows far more varied and natural first touches and even 'taxi' moments (soccer AM) which are impossible in FIFA, even when there's a heavy touch in fifa, the ball is ALWAYS magnetically stuck to the player!

This explains why FIFA is all so silky smooth (it also blends out any grit or bad touches) and why PES, it's runs very well and nicely but suffers from bad transitions from time to time because there's so many variables in dribbling! The movements which are ALL driven by attributes, every, movement and trick is driven but the attributes! That's why no 2 players seem to play the same way!

So that's why i much prefer the way PES tries to accurately simulate dribbling and ball control compared to the generic, silky smooth on rails FIFA system! I can live with bad transitions every now and then compared to that boring clinical generic on rails easy control on FIFA! This probably explains why FIFA is easier that PES to get into!

If you have read the spoiler, i would much rater prefer a PM about both games rater than dragging this debate where it dosen't need to be :)

I think FIFA's off-the-ball movement has improved on last year's. I've seen Fabrages make an OTB move at one angle, then spot a gap open up in the defence and re-route to exploit it, punishing it with a goal when the pass finally comes. I've seen Dani Alves bend curved runs in from the right, accelerating and decelerating along the way as he analyses when and where he's going to burst to.

In PES I see teammates stood stationary looking at me, or I see them sprint at one speed in a dead-straight line towards goal, stopping only when they find themselves offside. Sometimes I see two teammates making the same move to the same place at the same time. Often I see a wide expanse of grass on the wing that I want my teammate to drift laterally into to create an angle for a pass... but he doesn't help me out.

I'm missing a lot of signs! :)

Nerf, your right about he signs i just really think you've missing a lot of things you like in football games in PES.

I have to tell you. I was playing with the Netherlands yesterday vs Greece, i set an attack up down the left, with Van Perise playing the center forward role to perfection really, laying it out wide to Kyut who again sums up PES, You have Robben who bombs up and down the flanks and drifts here and there, then you have Kyut who barley moves and is all about conserving possession and delivering crosses and good passes :WORSHIP:

Also what i love is how he's like a number of player on this game which there IS LITERALLY NO POINT USING THE SPRINT BUTTON WITH! :WORSHIP: Like with Pirlo and others you just use them for passing, long balls and tight dribbling only :)) Just like in real life!

Now i did an early cross with Kyut into the box which was headed away but you never guess who was in the box challenging for the header!

Van der Wiel!!!! YES! Van der Wiel the RIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!!

What i found amazing was i didn't even start the attack on the right. If I'd started from the right i would've of expected this since i would normally pressed the L1 and :x: or :x: followed by R2 which makes him run forward and then later support the attack but like in real life, he loves to get forward so much he did it by himself :WORSHIP: He's like that in real life!

Like i said, the individuality is there, but you really have to start from scratch and explore everything to see it! FIFA and PEs are made totally differently so it takes a total different approach to get the best out of PES!

Also if Romangnoli likes PES, it can't be half bad since he knows everything about FIFA 11 :SMUG:

Christ. You leave a thread for a couple of weeks and all this happens.

I'm probably going to wait till November for the honeymoon to be over before posting what I think, which is pretty similar to Rob's views, especially on gameplay 'realism'. All I will say is that the AI in PES is better than FIFA's in most areas - it's just a lot less signposted and requires you to understand the hidden signals to release someone. It's a culture shock compared to FIFA and you just won't recognise how it works straight off the bat. That's the problem with making a game to last a year without making the first few days as accessible as possible.

Flippin eck mate where? Can i have a neon sign above their heads???

When i played and being the furthest man forward i didnt have a player anywhere near me backing me up in support, they all just stood about. No forward running or anything. if you need to manually set this up fair enough but in game a.i does not give subtle movements at all!

Back
Top Bottom