FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

Re: Re: FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

Hmmm. Ok, i will. And you really see a difference? That would be so great.

In FIFA 10 i hate playing against weaker teams (like second Div. teams) because they play all like Barca. So every game is a fight you don't have easy games at all. So stupid.

Tomorrow i will test the reserve players. Please let it be different.

Barcelona lost to Hercules last yr real Madrid got beat by alcorcon 4 0 there is a difference in lower teams but to think any game should be a gimme in high levels
I don't know bout that. I think in fifa 10 you could tell lower teams.

I've been playing more FIFA11 Demo, and the one thing that stands out for me currently is the unbalanced defending/attacking. In Fifa10 and World Cup the attackers had an advantage against the defenders. Most noticeably attackers with the ball in possession were able to move more quickly, or as quickly, as defenders.

Now, it seems reversed. If I have the ball and try to cut in-field to sprint past a defender, my player will be moving so sluggishly, it seems like I am not holding the sprint button at all, while the defender will just sort of slide in effortlessly and catch up with my player. If my player is controlling the ball he should loose some speed and agility, but when the ball has been knocked ahead or when running more quickly, the payer isn't controlling the ball, just basically running after it. For him to suddenly to look as if he has just run full speed across the pitch seems completely non-sensical. He's not even tired judging by the stamina bar.

Playing on World Class difficulty I've managed to score 2 goals in 2 hours of playing. I really hope this is tweaked from Demo to final game, because the imbalance sticks out like an unrealistic sore thumb after just some playing. Surely the devs will spot this aswell.

Also I am not sure I like the keepers, they need to be toned down about 7-10%, it looks ridiculous when they fly out to CATCH a hard shot that was even missing by 2 meters, sure it's Petr Cech but come on, the animation shouldn't slide him along the ground to get him an extra meter closer to the ball without his legs moving. Overall reaction times seem fine though.

And shots generally, or atleast for the cleaner strikes, really need alot more zip to them, and I mean in the "add 20%" + range, not just a tad. Even on Normal Game speed when looking at a replay the ball really looks like it weighs twice what it does, and as if the player really has problems getting it up to speed when shooting it.

Also, I still see so many 90 degree turns without the player in possession of the ball loosing any speed, or needing to move in a wider arc than the ball to get round the tight turn. His body starts to shift angle of movement before any leg has even had the chance to move him against the ground.

Not sure how many 3 minute 0-0 games of frustrating defender-packed standing-tackle mess I can stand. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I missing something? Reading people who say scoring is easy, what difficulty do you play on, because on World Class 0-0 is the default score, and you always seem to face a tight 2-man CB pair, with a defensive player always moving in on your player as soon as you pass to him. Longshots for me are non-existant, because there is absolute no space in front of goal unless perhaps on a breakaway, but even then the slow players in possession are so easily hunted down and dispossessed.

It also feels like the knock-on move isn't at all manual. At times I'll attempt to, as you mentioned, knock the ball towards the middle of the field with a player liker Walcott or Ronaldo and cut inside a defender, but he'll still try and tap it around the defender and run straight down the field. It's almost always stolen in that situation. As you've said though, sprinting is simply gimped in this game. No matter how much you hold turbo, players will not run as fast as they can.

Nearly every game that I play ends in a 0-0 and I play on Pro. To be honest though, I don't really try to score very often from the kickoff (unlike the CPU who routinely run straight up the middle of the field while my teammates move out of the way) and try to pass around when I play with Arsenal.

CPU is very good at turning in whatever direction they want to w/o losing any sort of speed and I still say that they are faster on the ball than I am off the ball controlling a defender. And they don't try the knock on move to try and beat player like Carvalho with pace, they just turn around in circles and I somehow slide 5 yards off to the side leaving them an open route to goal.

Lastly, even with the 0-0 scorlines I don't want to even try and TOUCH assisted or semi. I actually tried assisted for the first time today and honestly feel little difference between that and manual. Either I've gotten too good at what FIFA considers manual (all the passing in this game has been made easier) or they is little to no difference.

Something tells me that those manual leaderboards won't even come close to fixing the gripes of online manual players as those who would cheese on manual before will have an even easier time of it this year.

I think I've had one "good" game on the demo so far and that was only because I scored two quick goals with Ibracadabra (most I've scored in any game in the demo). Chelski, thanks to two headers that I was well-placed to defend, came back though and tied it.

And check this out. I get called for fouls for next to nothing against the CPU. www.easports.com/media/play/video/37383260. This apparently wasn't a foul.

Even Tyler said he got the ball.

Last edited:
Barcelona lost to Hercules last yr real Madrid got beat by alcorcon 4 0 there is a difference in lower teams but to think any game should be a gimme in high levels
I don't know bout that. I think in fifa 10 you could tell lower teams.

But there is a reason why Barcelona is the best Team in the world and Hercules is not. There is a huge difference in quality (way from mars to moon) and you should see it, always.

In Fifa10 if you play against Hercules their player can pass the ball like Xavi and Iniesta. They are fast like them, they can shoot like them, they can tackle like Puyol. In a real game they can't.

Of course on a good and bad day they can beat a team like Barca. It is football at the end. A much weaker team can beat a much better team. But they beat them for other reasons (like fighting spirit, deep defense and some counter attacks, running miles and miles and miles and mile more) not for being all Xavis, Iniestas and Puyols suddenly.

And that is the Problem in FIFA. If you play against Hercules the Hercules player suddenly become brilliant worldclass abilitys. And this couldn't be more wrong. Let them run and fight for there lives, let them park the bus deep down and counter you but don't let them pass, dribble, shot like the best player in the world.

I might rename a stadium or 2, but can't be bothered with much else. Hopefully pinch chants from someone else :)

Tho I think my virtual pro will get hid own custom chant :)

You dont need chants, We all do that anyway when you come online.... Shooooooooooooooo toooo

:-)

Cant wait.. week to go...

Yeah, certainly in WC2010, the weakest nations in Europe (San Marino, Andorra, et al) were noticably easier than the top sides.

But with FIFA11, they seem to have made the top sides even more perfect. It's when I play a long ball over the top of the cpu defense and their defender immediately turns 180, instantly up to full speed, runs and collects the ball perfectly as it lands, with instant control, then proceeds to instantly turn and do amazing dribbles with everything perfect, before playing a perfect pass....it's utter gash. And that's not to mention the cpu perfect tackling/barging system. Wtf are they thinking releasing this heap of crap.

Playing on the furthest zoomed out cam (co-op), where all the player slook smallest, it's reminds me too much of SWOS. It's out-and-out arcade.

Hi Winston, I came to the conclusion it was pure crap the moment I played human vs human. All the things that I didn't like are even worse in this game, except the stupid defending of Fifa 10 that has turned into another kind of stupid deffense conception in Fifa 11.

The game is pure arcade crap, with no deep at all in any field. The have dumbed down the game in a manner that is insulting. Worse Fifa game in this generation by far, I can't stand putting the demo again. It's a tackle fest everywhere, with speed catching up and no tactics, slow passing and no physic laws in place. So, what the hell does this game decently well apart from animations and some ball physics right now?

Just ordered 360 slim + 250gb HDD + Fifa11 bundle for 2,799Kr (about £260), release date is 30th September here so hope it arrives on time! And especially I hope the Nordic version includes English text/commentary else I'm screwed!

Just ordered 360 slim + 250gb HDD + Fifa11 bundle for 2,799Kr (about £260), release date is 30th September here so hope it arrives on time! And especially I hope the Nordic version includes English text/commentary else I'm screwed!

Both fifa2010 and WC had english text and commentary when i bought them, so you should be alright. :)

I had a game against the AI last night, Chelsea vs Real and i was very surprised at how good it was

I think ill start a MM or BAP season when its out now :)

Ah cool

I aint read anything regarding the offline side of the game

So you got, just controlling 1 player, controlling 1 player but being in charge of the team as well or playing as the whole team and being manager?

Player manager it is if that's the case and build a team around me :)

Ah cool

I aint read anything regarding the offline side of the game

So you got, just controlling 1 player, controlling 1 player but being in charge of the team as well or playing as the whole team and being manager?

Player manager it is if that's the case and build a team around me :)

Depends how you set it up, you can play as the player or the whole team, even if you're player is in the squad, you can do this in Player Mode and Player-Manager mode..

Yeah, I may start at the Player-Manager stage, you only get four years at it though, which is about right if you look back, there's not been many decent player managers and they don't play for long, after that you hang your boots up and have 11 seasons as a Manager...
:PIRATE:

Hi Winston, I came to the conclusion it was pure crap the moment I played human vs human. All the things that I didn't like are even worse in this game, except the stupid defending of Fifa 10 that has turned into another kind of stupid deffense conception in Fifa 11.

The game is pure arcade crap, with no deep at all in any field. The have dumbed down the game in a manner that is insulting. Worse Fifa game in this generation by far, I can't stand putting the demo again. It's a tackle fest everywhere, with speed catching up and no tactics, slow passing and no physic laws in place. So, what the hell does this game decently well apart from animations and some ball physics right now?

Must be the way you play as I don't see this tackle fest you mention. Of course there are tackles but I honestly don't see the issue... or are you on about v a human aswell? Haven't played against another human on it yet.

Had some great games last night and the AI played some decent footy against me. I'm a footballer type of guy who likes to keep the ball moving but in a realistic fashion but I also don't go overboard with my criticism of certain things so I'm happy with what I've played so far.

Never mess about with tactics or any of that. Just move the ball onto the nearest man. Simple game which gets overcomplicated imo.

Must be the way you play as I don't see this tackle fest you mention. Of course there are tackles but I honestly don't see the issue... or are you on about v a human aswell? Haven't played against another human on it yet.

I think the tackle fest is pretty obvious. There is no skill and timing envolved on it, making it ridiculously easy and constant.

I think the tackle fest is pretty obvious. There is no skill and timing envolved on it, making it ridiculously easy and constant.

I move the ball before I get tackled most of the time so I just don't see it... so far anyway.

I suppose in all fairness, I'm not attacking that much as I'm just messing about with everything atm.

Still, when I have attacked more, I'm not complaining. I'd rather be tackled than just skip past players with ease all the time anyway.

The complaint from him seems to be it's too easy to tackle the opposition? Strange as I'm only playing on professional and I miss numerous tackles from the AI who dodge me as I slide in, have received many yellow cards as well :)

The complaint from him seems to be it's too easy to tackle the opposition? Strange as I'm only playing on professional and I miss numerous tackles from the AI who dodge me as I slide in, have received many yellow cards as well :)

Well, i don't. I play it on pro too and full manual, so...I'm not talking about sliding tackles, im referring to the X button tackle. Strange, you don't find it easy.

Guess I'm just crap at the game, good for me as I'll get lots of enjoyment out of it ;) Pressing tackles are easier than sliding ones yes but I still mistime them a fair bit and give away freekicks or get avoided.

You press X, pression (square) and run to a player an it's either a foul (20% of the itme) or a change of possession and someone falls to the floor (80% of the time). Your opponent can't avoid this kind of deffense (I'm talking human vs human here, but also quite valid for vs AI) unless he's a good dribbler controlling Iniesta or Messi. And even then, the chances to avoid the oncoming train-bull-defender are very slim. It all ends up as a tackle vs tackle vs tackle fest in the mdifield if only one of the players wants.

I normally play full maunal, at a slow pace and like to play the passing game, and for what I see I will have to play with very very few people. I've found a lot of manual players that simply bump into you, or pression whores, or people that simply exploits the overdone "strength" of the game. That were amongst my main complaints with the game, and they are still there, almost untouched (or touched for the worse, I fear).

Simply put, there's no decent movement in the game, with footplanting and inertia gone what remains is an arcade fest of unrealistic movements and collisions that resemble nothing to the real sport. There's no penalization for running to someone, there's speed caching up, so even if you dribble someone, they come back to you and push you again... it's all as if they had put different patches that doesn't get well between them.

That's what I call tackle-fest.

I can't imagine how you guys prefer PES! I just won 6-0 and all six goals were rebounds,OG or any other deflecting stupid goal. PES has the tactical base but with nothing built over it. It is either FIFA or nothing this year.

As Scorps said, manual leaderboards fella. I also play over in a little community where I don't play against assisted wankers so therefore, I will not be playing against assisted players online at all so you can put your little fail note away sunshine.

see this is what amuses me about this. its a demo impression thread, and as soon as you give a negative impression, everyone jumps on you. whats the point in this thread at all then?
people who play on assisted ain't wankers, and just to inform you, manuel passing is still easy, just the shooting is only problem for me on manuel. but fact i mentioned word easy, people will have pms occurence. these threads both pes and fifa are a joke. people can't respect opinions if it differs. shame really

I popped in the demo, CPU has ball at kickoff, I line my player up from more than 5 yards away, hold down tackle button, my guy zeros in on CPU dribbler and there you go, I've got the ball... I literally laughed out loud at how ridiculous tackling is, that you can rush in so recklessly and win the ball back with ease.

Yeah Placebo, I miss plenty of tackles and get cards but the CPU rarely gets close to my penalty area. Like someone else mentioned, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if you had to be within actual tackling distance to use X but as it is now your player will charge the dribbler from 5 yards away, and at such a speed dribblers in the game have little opportunity to evade.

Yes my defender is not always successful but the player should not even respond when you press the tackle button when he's so far away from the ball. If it's going to remain a press/tackle button, then like in PES it shouldn't be nearly as effective and the player shouldn't charge-in at such a high speed. Just as last year there was no penalty for mindless button mashing on offense - ping pong passing - this year there isn't enough penalty for the same style of play on defense.

Frequently I see this happen in my games: CPU has ball, I press tackle, take ball from CPU; I take a few steps with ball, CPU tackles and takes ball; CPU takes a few steps and I mash tackle button and get ball back; I take a few steps and have ball taken from me... I see these back and forth episodes frequently. If I lose the ball and I have a player in the vicinity, I immediately mash the X button. Is this the right way to play, no i don't think so, but the game lends itself to this style.

I am now convinced assisted tackling and not assisted passing is the bigger issue at the moment.

see this is what amuses me about this. its a demo impression thread, and as soon as you give a negative impression, everyone jumps on you. whats the point in this thread at all then?

Sorry I don't agree with that at all, since the demo was released there's been a majority of negative posting in this and the other thread, it reached a point where the few of us actually feeling positive about the demo were put off posting our feelings because of such a wall of unrest we met (a friend from here and I were discussing the same thing on MSN that it's like 90% negative and trolling opinions since the demo was released when that kind of behaviour is no longer going on in the PES threads).

Drekkard and I are seeing the same thing (and we're not alone). Weird how others, like Placebo, are seeing something totally different.

Are we all playing the same demo?

I'm sure we're all playing the same demo and all seeing the same things, but it affects each of us differently, bothers each of us differently, look at the PES thread with the massive (IMO) AI bug of jogging down the side line and not being tackled, half said it's game breaking and horrendous blah blah, half were saying it's no big deal just don't do it.

Frequently I see this happen in my games: CPU has ball, I press tackle, take ball from CPU; I take a few steps with ball, CPU tackles and takes ball; CPU takes a few steps and I mash tackle button and get ball back; I take a few steps and have ball taken from me... I see these back and forth episodes frequently. If I lose the ball and I have a player in the vicinity, I immediately mash the X button. Is this the right way to play, no i don't think so, but the game lends itself to this style.

I am now convinced assisted tackling and not assisted passing is the bigger issue at the moment.

Seen that more than a few times. What I hate the most is the fact that in that instance it's hard to tell who has control of the ball. The CPU will get bumped off of it and I'll be looking to run up the field, but my player won't respond because apparently we're still engaged in a jostling match. We'll smash into one another again and keep at it until someone (usually the CPU) takes possession.

And on that thing about running straight at the CPU after kick-off. I've never tried that but simply trying to get into the jockeying position and time a tackle when the CPU just runs right at you with Lampard doing stepovers and spin moves is a pain. I'm desperately trying to select 2-3 defenders to make sure that those idiots stay in front of him because they all seriously seem to move out of the way. Let me try and dribble straight ahead at the CPU and somehow get past 3-4 guys before being tackled...The CPU does it all the time and it always works.

To drekkard's point, I'm really not seeing the tackle-fest on my end. By that I mean that it isn't ME who finds it too easy to tackle the CPU but the exact opposite. Until the full game releases and I play against a human opponent, I still feel like it'll be harder for US to barge people off the ball as the CPU just cheats a lot.

I certainly don't like how trying to shield the ball from Messi with Pepe results in Messi just running through me and onto goal.

As it stands, I've had one good game in the demo and all the rest have (at best) bored me, and (at worst) made me want to cancel my pre-order. One can only hope that it's as hard for everyone else to tackle as it is for me (I admittedly don't do it often) but I was pretty bad at doing it to the CPU in 09 as well. I just don't want to play that way.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't agree with that at all, since the demo was released there's been a majority of negative posting in this and the other thread, it reached a point where the few of us actually feeling positive about the demo were put off posting our feelings because of such a wall of unrest we met (a friend from here and I were discussing the same thing on MSN that it's like 90% negative and trolling opinions since the demo was released when that kind of behaviour is no longer going on in the PES threads).

so you don't agree that if you post an opinion on either thread then people become defensive and say your wrong for whatever you say?
it's true, that's why alot of people get put off posting on these forums nowadays. i'm not trolling, my personal opinion is i loved fifa 10 to start with as it was something completely new, world cup seemed to be going in the right direction but this game doesn't have the same excitement as fifa 10 did when i played the demo, as for me it just seems an expansion from world cup game, which at £40, is way to much for it. i respect and hope everyone enjoys the game by all means as everyone taste varys, i just feel the consumers are getting ripped off.

I popped in the demo, CPU has ball at kickoff, I line my player up from more than 5 yards away, hold down tackle button, my guy zeros in on CPU dribbler and there you go, I've got the ball... I literally laughed out loud at how ridiculous tackling is, that you can rush in so recklessly and win the ball back with ease.

Yeah Placebo, I miss plenty of tackles and get cards but the CPU rarely gets close to my penalty area. Like someone else mentioned, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if you had to be within actual tackling distance to use X but as it is now your player will charge the dribbler from 5 yards away, and at such a speed dribblers in the game have little opportunity to evade.

Yes my defender is not always successful but the player should not even respond when you press the tackle button when he's so far away from the ball. If it's going to remain a press/tackle button, then like in PES it shouldn't be nearly as effective and the player shouldn't charge-in at such a high speed. Just as last year there was no penalty for mindless button mashing on offense - ping pong passing - this year there isn't enough penalty for the same style of play on defense.

Remember its a demo, if you want to set these things up and try and watch bugs/faults you can, infact i'm sure there's more to find too.

I played the gamerbase tour demo (which was definitely a different build to this, even though they said it would be the same.) and pressure was a lot less effective in that, but the AI was just as dumb. There will be changes for release and as long as pressure is knocked down a bit and the AI's awareness of a charging defender is put up a bit, its going to be a really decent game.

The pressure in the gamerbase game was a little like you described. In terms of you had to be closer to the player, and second press was right down in reactions compared to this demo.

so you don't agree that if you post an opinion on either thread then people become defensive and say your wrong for whatever you say?

It depends a lot on how constructive (or destructive) the opinion is written, but yes people on both sides of the argument become defensive, I think it's just the nature of the internet these days!

Remember its a demo, if you want to set these things up and try and watch bugs/faults you can, infact i'm sure there's more to find too.

I played the gamerbase tour demo (which was definitely a different build to this, even though they said it would be the same.) and pressure was a lot less effective in that, but the AI was just as dumb. There will be changes for release and as long as pressure is knocked down a bit and the AI's awareness of a charging defender is put up a bit, its going to be a really decent game.

The pressure in the gamerbase game was a little like you described. In terms of you had to be closer to the player, and second press was right down in reactions compared to this demo.

I'm praying you're right. Not saying I don't believe you, but I'm sure you can understand that with the wide variety of impressions out there, I need to play it for myself to become a believer.

I've very aware it's a demo, and it's 6 week old code, but after my experience with MM in FIFA 10 my inclination is to shout from the hilltops when I see a problem and not just put my faith in EA that things will get sorted. There's A LOT to like in the demo but I'll let EA's PR department and the reviewers, not to mention the legion of "fanboys", focus on those things.

I'm sure we're all playing the same demo and all seeing the same things, but it affects each of us differently, bothers each of us differently, look at the PES thread with the massive (IMO) AI bug of jogging down the side line and not being tackled, half said it's game breaking and horrendous blah blah, half were saying it's no big deal just don't do it.

Yeah but there really isn't a divide in the PES forums over whether that exploit exists (except for Expander, jeezus) whereas there is a divide among those of us who are seeing an unrealistically physical game in FIFA and those that do not. I see a FIFA game that statistically doesn't match up with the real thing - turnovers IRL do not occur with such a high frequency from tackles but rather interceptions and player error play a bigger role. Others, however, don't see that at all.

it's true, that's why alot of people get put off posting on these forums nowadays.

Dude, there's jerks in every forum. People get off on being able to act in a way they can't get away with IRL. You just gotta ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom