FIFA 10 NG Improvements Thread

- Less powerful goalkeepers
- A lot more animations for the goalkeeper
- Ball physics less floaty
- Better collision detection ball/ player
- Crosses need to be faster and harder
- Heading must be more dynamic -> fight for position
- Dont automatically give the defender an advantage whe it comes to heading

The biggest issue with 09 right now is that almost every goal is scored inside the box because of weak shots and too powerful keepers. I wanna see 30 m screamers where the ball falls down right infront of the goal.

With Finnesse im scoring outside the box for fun these days so I dont think shots should be made easier.

Assisted/semi I suppose?

The problem with too good goalkeepers, is probably because of assisted/semi shooting beeing to easy. Any idiot would score screamers with Gerrard every game if the goalkeepers were realistic. Assisted/semi shooting needs to be re-made, as it sucks. One thing PES actually does (or at least did) better..altough manual is the way to go.

Same goes for passing - way to easy with assisted/semi, especially one-touch passes..makes it ridicously easy to play pinball.

Last edited:
1.- Less powerful goalkeepers
2.- A lot more animations for the goalkeeper
3.- Ball physics less floaty
4.- Better collision detection ball/ player
5.- Crosses need to be faster and harder
6.- Heading must be more dynamic -> fight for position
7.- Dont automatically give the defender an advantage whe it comes to heading

1. Agreed.
2. It's not that bad, but sure, the more animation the better.
3. In some situations yes, overall it's pretty good.
4. That's pretty good already, but room for improvement.
5. Disagree, I don't want a new PES 08.
6. Good already.
7. I don't think there are, more than in real life. Defenders will always have an advantage since they are attacking the ball and generally good on the head as well as good physique.

Goalkeepers need more nuance. You can beat them with wellplaced shots from longrange, but it doens't feel as Random" or unscripted as I would like. Makt he goalkeepers more random and unprecise with their placement, so that you occasionally will get a slightly wider hole to one of his sides, and the goalkeeper should also be much more handicapped when trying to jump in one direction while moving in the other.

Also, they desperately need to fix the collision detection for the goalkeepers, so that they can't save shots that pass 10+ cm from their gloves. That right there would be enough to make them more realistic.

Also, the biggest thing I want for FIFA10, apart from goalkeeper improvement, is:

- better animations for normal dribbling and movement. Movements now are too broad and unprecise when in close quarters, I want to be able to dribble even "slowly" or with more control. PES2008/2009 Slow dribble mode is really the best I've used so far, nothing fancy but they have the basics of moving a ball controlled with the feet at medium to slow pace down perfectly. Re-design EA, and also let us sidestep in a controllable manner aswell ala PES5/PES R2 sidestep.

- When you use Semi shooting, even with poor players, they are too accurate at hitting where you are aiming. I know I could use Manual instead, but the point is that from wherever I aim, I want the player to be as unaccurate as he would be in real life. Right now a poor player, when aiming for the same spot with semi, can group the shots together very tightly in the top corner or such, even when moving and running etc. More bad misshits when shooting awkwardly, more unaccurate shooting overall. That would also allow for the goalkeepers to be made more human (not saving when ball clearly misses their glove, not being quite as quick to react in certain situations and not being able to reach both corners of the goal regardless if body movement) whilst keeping the goal/game-quota nice and balanced.

when your clear through on goal, has anyone tried to go passed the keeper and get fouled doing so, resulting in a penalty and the keeper getting sent off?

i for one have gone passed the keeper and got fouled but nothing has been given, i would love to see the way PES copes with this situation.

make it just a little easier to round the keeper, cause they're far to good at 1 on 1's, maybe not the top keepers (cech for example), but def the lower league keepers. even if they just get the foul recognised and a penalty and red card are given, i'll be happy.

few other little things.

- proper schedules in MM, early, late and night games. (previously discussed i know)

- more in depth Be A Pro, Jan transfer window, optional training, generally more content.

- sort the advantage rule, you don't play on for straight red card offences or second yellow offences (previously discussed).

- penalties for standing tackle offences, i think i've had one since the game came out.

- reaction from players towards a bad foul, confrontation from teammates.

finally (for now) i'm loving the last minute winner and remove your shirt celebration idea, maybe get the crowd involved in the cut scene.

when your clear through on goal, has anyone tried to go passed the keeper and get fouled doing so, resulting in a penalty and the keeper getting sent off?

Penalty yes, yellow card yes, red card never, I think GK red cards are one of those phantom things I personally never see like >7 day injuries :)

what is your preferred method of rounding the keeper? cause i've done it a few times but i never get the penalty.

Do you mean you get taken down by the keeper and get no penalty, this happens often to me, I think it has to do with poor collision detection and graphics and the fact sometimes although it looks to be nowhere near the keepers hands or feet he still saves and touches the ball... If it's a clear foul though I get the pen...

i have had penalties from keeper fouls, but very rarely (i think twice). most times though i get refused blatent penalties when the keeper has fouled me.

i was just wondering what the best way of going past the keeper was?

if you read post 158, it explains it more

It is very difficult to go round the keeper and one on ones are a touch too hard, in real life the percentage of one on ones would be a goal.
I use fake shot or treble circle chip most of the time or finesse shot, and don't bother trying to round the keeper...
They do need to work on the goalkeepers in both AI and graphics for 10...

To round the keeper I find the best way to be the body feint when you flick skill trick to one direction and then move the other way. At least the keeper will be fooled enough to have half the goal open.

I really hope they add directions. It gets on my nerves every game I play this stupid 8/16 direction limitation. It is so often you just want to turn very little to set up for the better foot or just to line up better to the goal.

The worst thing is that they replied to this issue by saying it can't be done in a good way. So it will probably still be in 2010 because they think 360 movement means movement like you're skating on ice. All we want is 360 movement after the ball is touched and then you can't turn until you touch it again, just like we have now but with exact direction we hold the stick while touching the ball... how can that be hard to implement? Bastards...

Set pieces would need a lot of work. You should be able to:

-set players who are forward when having corners/freekick
-set some kind of positions/running lanes for those attacking players(like one attacking front post, another coming from deep, another going to back post and one challenging GK
-have at least 4 different combinations for both freekicks and corners(maybe even long throws) which you could play from your d-pad when having corner/free kick
-you could set who would be defending who at those set pieces situations in own end and how you would D those situations generally

Since set pieces are one of the most interesting thing in modernday football and quite a big percentage of goals are coming from those, they should REALLY work on set pieces.

Another tweaks I would like to see would be:

-man marking being closer for strikers
-handballs getting whistled
-pushing from behind getting whistled
-have a lot more national teams, so boring to just have couple of African teams year after year
-Manager mode should get a lot tweaking/fixing

Rest have been mentioned more than enough.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there should be a way of choosing which players stay at the left and right goal posts when defending corners. Maybe a player's height and heading ability should be taken into account?

I hope they tweak the difficulty switch from the straight on/off it seems to be at the moment.
My players can change in the middle of a game from good to awful at the drop of a hat as do the AI.
And then it's so in your face it's annoying...

please EA make improvements i the AI fro.m your teammates...
in FIFA08 it was great, but in fifa 09 it seems that player only move up and down.. there´no movement around the ball... players like pirlo, ronaldinho, fabrega and others, must go close to defenders to recieve the ball and organize the game...
players need to move more around the field...
this was the bigger feature in fifa08, but in fifa 09 now they regreat in my opinion...
and EA, player with the ball can´t run so fast like they do in fifa09..
it´s totally unrealistic...
i don´t understand some changes that EA do from fifa08 to fifa09...
i still thinking that fifa09 is much more a simulation from real soccer than fifa09...

Graphics

1.Scoreboard with emblems
2.Adboards with real firms like sony,mcdonald etc.
3.better radar
4.Better kits and all correct to goalkeepers:PINKS:
5.Better faces/not zoombie:)

1.Lobby rooms like Pes:WORSHIP:
2.Better ranking system like Pes:WORSHIP:1 division,2 and 3 for example
3.Information about disconected users/how many
4.Possible to choose stadium in ranking match,and balls,weather,day or night:)

Gameplay

1.Much better models of players
2.Better controls of players like Pes:WORSHIP:
3.More long shoots for 35 meters for example
4.More fun
5.Better feeling of players
6.Different runing style for some players.For example Ronaldo has different run to Rooney:)

That all,Thanks

You know you can't move like in PES in real life, right?

I would interpret him to mean that in PES08 and 09 you have much finer control over your players movements, while those games also has a new R2 dribbling system that makes them alot more accurate with regards to footing and not cheating by having players sliding around and such.

FIFA09 I feel is too "loose", if you just dab the Left analog stick in a direction the player will move in that direction atleast a meter/meter and a half before you can stop him and make him go another way. The footing and foot movements, and the ability to have quick touches on the ball to change its direction is too impaired at slow speed, and players make too broad movements than I am comfortable with.

Also certain things, like sidestepping (not counting the "roll ball to side with sole of boot" trickstick move) are very absent, so it feel slike your player can only move forward all the time, when in real life you have more freedom to knock the ball sidewways while facing the same direction as before and such.

Needs much improving in FIFA I feel, and in this case PES09 should be atleast a starting-point for the system, since that one works very well and feel svery natural with regards to slow dribbling and quick sideways directional changes.

To illustrate:

YouTube - PES2008 Demo CPU Dribble Move

AI dribble move in PES2008. Footing is basically correct as one can see, and it looks like a very realistic move, but one that would take ages in FIFA since you would have to do the ballroll trickstick move twice in succession, one to either side.
Depending on how quickly you perform the input for the sidestep (how quickly you move the analog stick left for that second sidestep in the video), the player can also be more quick with the sidestep move, or he can be more slow and "draw out" the move slightly, so you can adapt the players movement "urgency" a bit so that you can time the balltouches slightly to better fool a defender based on the defenders moves.

Last edited:
If you hold down the pace control button you can dribble pretty precisely in Fifa, maybe not quite as precise as that but I'm talking about Championship players here (as that's only who I use).

I hope they improve response times in FIFA I still find your waiting for a set graphic to run out which usually ends with you getting the ball nicked off you. And the sending off without so much as telling you needs fixing too, cost us a European spot last night, played a good 20-25 Min's before I realised our AM was off, never found out why...

Last edited:
Anyone else had it recently happen that when you concede a freekick, you restart and one of your CB's is the furthest up the pitch where your forward should be, instead of inside the box to defend the set piece? Keeps happening to me and it's quite annoying........

Also certain things, like sidestepping (not counting the "roll ball to side with sole of boot" trickstick move) are very absent, so it feel slike your player can only move forward all the time, when in real life you have more freedom to knock the ball sidewways while facing the same direction as before and such.

You know, if you tap the stick at 90º to the direction you're moving, rather than holding it, that you sidestep, rather than turn.

keeper ai, keeper ai and keeper ai.

they're liked glued to the line in fifa 09, not really participating in the match. plus they for sure need more animations, just an overall overhaul of the whole keeper routine within the game.

everything else is okay and should be just fine with some improvements. but keepers sometimes make the game unplayable.

Back
Top Bottom