FIFA 10 NG Improvements Thread

no way man, thats not true. In one fifa there was a button combination that threw elbows... it always got you a red card, but the animation was funny, thats certainly not fair play
aye, i remember that. also there was a game with intentional fouls, cant remember if it was a FIFA though. good animation of a slide tackle, but with one leg raised to knee level.

it was FIFA 99 that had intentional fouls.

Last edited:
We always used to use the intentional foul as a last ditch tactic if the opposition were clean through on goal and certain to score. We would just run to one of the off the ball players and hack them down to get the play stopped, pretty much like in your avatar Andy :)

a couple of improvements i'd like to see: -

Gameplay

- low crosses being more powerful, so you can smash it across the front of goal.

- more people attacking the ball in the air, one a side is not realistic for corners.

- select players to go up for corners and freekicks, ala pes.

- quick menu selection for subs (show match rating and fatigue) and freekick/corner takers, ala pes.

- goalkeeper fouls resulting in penelties and red cards, for christs sake.

- quick freekicks and throw-ins if the ball is close and available, to keep the momentum up when attacking.

- switching defenders should be smooth in terms of movement and more user friendly.

- bring back diving, hilarious if you don't get given the freekick and carded, has to be difficult to con the ref though.

- offsides, giving the striker the benefit sometimes if it's close.

- more pitch side activity, managers, coaches, players warming up, fourth official etc.

- better celebrations for important goals, incorporate crowd, manager, coaching staff, subs bench etc.

- pitch invasions at the end of important cup games/play-off games, semi finals not final.

- different types of refs, some let things flow and some like being centre of attention (mr riley).

Manager Mode

- training, playable or sim and get player ratings.

- realistic sceduling, midweek/night games.

- big game build up, cup final, etc.

- manager offers from other clubs.

- day to day calender, like other ea sports games.

- computer transfers.

- get match reports from reserve games to look out for youngsters coming through.

- sign coaches, scouts etc. like other ea sports games

- stadium upgrade means a new stadium.

- scouting finds real players, not just two random names put together and given a club, nationality and ratings.

Be A Pro

- january transfers, important if you don't end up enjoying playing for a team you sign for.

- request position change, cause if you want to play as a CAM and get given the CDM postion it's slightly annoying.

- start on the bench or get subbed off, never happened to me even when playing s**t.

- better AI, some of the decision making is rubbish.

- when captain you shouldn't pick the team or make subs but you can challenge the manager on decesions and request changes.

- better press coverage, comments from manager, etc. make it a bit more of a full experience.

- training, can impress here as well as reserve games.

- edit player, if you can do this? i can't find where.

- longer career, euro and world cup including qaulification rounds.

i'm not even going in to online improvements. i know alot of these things have been said before, but i just wanted to compile my thoughts.

1 more important is that the player with ball is fastet than the player without the ball and that is very unrealistic

Eh!!.. that depends on the player though and other factors, surely...:BLINK:

I think different in pace is quite well done, BUT not skill. So, a very quick player with bad skills should easily outpace a defender, but sohuld loose control of the ball or miskick it to an unpredicted direction when sprinting with the ball now and then. And that kind of unpredicted things based on low skill is what is missing in the equation for me most of the times.

Without skill making this impact into gameplay, there's not as much individualization of players and speed turns too decisive, which I don't like. I should be able to beat teams based solely on technique and tactics (just as Xavi and Iniesta do, even without having real spped or real strength).

I posted some reflexions about it earlier in the thread, but I say it again: skill must play a vital part on everything and should make the difference, and even skilled player must fail to do things now and then (depending on the difficulty they have to achieve what you as a player order them to do). Then, and only then, the difference in speed will be fair.

aye, i remember that. also there was a game with intentional fouls, cant remember if it was a FIFA though. good animation of a slide tackle, but with one leg raised to knee level.

it was FIFA 99 that had intentional fouls.

Adidas Power Soccer?

Female commentary was awesome as well

Mid game saves would be good, there are times I am playing the game and have to go and do other things I would like to be able to save my match at a specific point and come back to it at a later time, rather than starting again.

I would also like player ratings to be done in gardes (a,b,c etc) rather than points, I feel the current 0-99 scale is too messy

Im sure it has been said many times, but please could the Arena mode be fleshed out to be more a training simulation, just like Pro Evo has a training area

Last edited:
I would like to see a kind of 1-4 in different animations for slidetackes/Headers like they do for running styles in Pes.Also the rating of the player would judge how good the tackle,if a top def,then a perfectly timed Canavarro tackle,but if his rating is low then a P.Neville cripple tackle.Headers should also be improved so if a top rated player good in the air then a Duncan Fergie monster in the air,also they need to get the attributes a little better but one can only hope.:PRAY:

I don't think anyone has any solid details about the next version yet. Only that they are going to focus more on MM.

Port NG to the PC and scrap Paul Hossack and his useless PC team.

Paul Hossack isnt even the PC producer. it's Luke Didd now.

I want to have the possibility to play in the same season, the premier league, the fa cup and the champions league. You cant do this in Fifa 09, can you ?

Yes you can. what gave you that idea? Only the Champions League is called the "ECC" in Fifa 09 due to licencing issue's.

Last edited:
You could change in settings whether or not you wanted more referee imperfections in offsides and fouls, and maybe also through in the occasional headbutt or on-pitch fight that you can't control and a player of yours might get carded for.

Long sentence there

You could change in settings whether or not you wanted more referee imperfections in offsides and fouls, and maybe also through in the occasional headbutt or on-pitch fight that you can't control and a player of yours might get carded for.

Long sentence there

I think that should be more down to the AI of your players if they are hot headed they could react after a bad call or challenge, and you should be able to discipline players too along with other ways of affecting their moral...

They need to tone down the outside of the foot shot, it happens far too often.

Back in the day whenever I scored with the outside of the foot in ISS it was lovely because it rarely happened. Also the player took this kind of shot because the situation called for it. In FIFA 09 about 1 in 3/4 shots are with the outside of the foot, there are times when I'll intentionally get a certain angle with the intention that my player will open up his body and slot it in but the stupid player decides to shoot with the outside of his foot.

This also leads onto my next point which is that EA need to pay attention to the players feet. Every player can shoot, cross, pass etc with their weaker foot.

There are times when I'll have the ball in the midfield with Baraja and I'll tell him to pass the ball along the floor to Mata (who is on the left). Baraja attempts and completes the pass but he does so with his weaker left foot. When he played the pass he wasn't under any pressure yet he automatically played it with his left peg!

Recently I was playing online with Valencia, I had the ball with Joaquin and I had just cut inside the fullback. Joaquin had enough time and space to put a decent ball in the box, I tapped the button accordingly and expected him to whip in a low cross with his right foot. Instead he decides to flick/push the ball into the box with his weaker left foot! In the end I actually scored from this cross but I didn't enjoy it one bit.

When I play FIFA Clubs and see Lionel Messi put in an inch perfect cross with his right foot it pisses me off. :RANT:

This is one of the reasons why the edit mode in ISS is so important because you can tone it down so that a player Messi will force himself to use his natural left foot. And on the rare occasion that he passes, shoots, crosses etc with his right foot, it wont be as accurate as his left.

Granted there probably wont be an edit mode that offers this in FIFA but at the very least EA should implement into the engine or wherever it should be. Its unrealistic when I see Totti curl a shot into the top corner with his left foot.

The FK's also need to re done, in 09 any player with decent power can aim their shot towards the keepers side and blast the ball. Whatever happened to taking FK's with the player that actually has the attributes.

In ISS it is very hard to aim the shot at the keepers side, blast the ball and score. If it was so easy then why don't we see goals like this every week in real life?

Finally (for now) the positioning of the ref needs to be sorted, they get in the way far too often.

They seriously need to fix the online mode on the console versions, not just the lag issues but the Interactive League was bugged because it would put you in a ranked match when you tried to play - you had to go to the match, quit (earning a DNF!) then try again to play an Interactive League match.

It was annoying, particularly as you had to win 5 of the damned fixtures to earn a trophy/achievement. :RANT:

One small thing, EA still need to do better research on team kits, it was worse in FIFA 09 than FIFA 08 with a lot of teams having some generic kits with the badge (on the wrong side of the shirt!) rather than the properly researched kits. At least the third kits are unlocked from the start but a lot of third kits were missing - some teams needed them due to undistinguishable home/away kits.

I agree with many of Tik Tik Tik's suggestions- lots of good stuff in there.

A few ideas that may or may not have been mentioned so far:

1. The ability to hold off players without the ball, or while moving with the ball, in the same way you are able to hold off players by standing still and pressing R2 now. If you watch players like Tevez, if the ball is traveling towards them (by ground or air) or when moving with the ball they physically hold off the player behind them, there should be a button to allow us to do this, rather than awkward pushing for position as you wait for a long ball from keeper!

2. More variety in first touches, including also when using the right stick to push the ball as your first touch. For skilled players using this move should be more controlled, in terms of the distance the ball is pushed, and also the direction. At the moment every player in the world when using this has the exact same capabilities and never messes it up!

3. More 'errors'. This means things like scuffs on long balls, crosses etc. which can be more towards a 'consistency' rating rather than an accuracy rating- meaning that someone can be mostly accurate but more prone to complete mishits when under pressure or in a pressure situation (the final third of the pitch) for example, this can be especially prevalent in younger players who have a lot of skill but are inconsistent. This can be applied to several other aspects including defending.

4. Been mentioned before, but needs to be stressed- PLAYER INDIVIDUALITY! Passing for sure, but moves should not be available to all players (the elastico for example)not just based on their dribbling rating. Rather than everyone kick with the outside of the boot so often as it is now, this rather could be a trait. Tackling ratings should matter more, strikers (and scholes :) should often foul players with their tackles especially coming from awkward angles (not straight on). Great defenders should stand out by how well they position themselves while worse defenders should be caught out more often. Following this there needs to be an OFFENSIVE positioning ranking and a DEFENSIVE. There needs to be more natural difference in movement that doesn't just happen during tricks, players feel too stiff now. You don't feel different enough dribbling with Ronaldinho, when you watch him in real life he has a very distinct style of dribbling, and this should be in the game for different players. There should more 'automatic' fakes (shoulder feints etc).

All I could think of for now :)

I've been championing the idea of a manual pass toggle for a while on EA's forums now. Hold L2 and press triangle (or X360 equivalent) to play a manual through ball when you have the time and space to do so, or just press triangle if you need to make a snap pass into space. I also think that in assisted mode, 5-10 yard passes should be assisted but anything beyond that should be semi-assisted. There's no reason why any player should expect to hit a 50 yard pass along the ground without assuming some responsibility for it being on target.

My main beef with manual settings at the moment is that it is a clear disadvantage against assisted players; I think manual passing should give you the ability to pass to whoever you like, wherever you like. At the moment it's more of a hindrance, rather than giving more talented players the scope to do more.

ugh no thanks. If it's an option than sure but don't force manual players to press an extra button just to pass the ball.

Back
Top Bottom