FIFA 10 NG Improvements Thread

4. Allow us to stop everyone picking glory teams by letting the session creator have the option to fix the teams, or fix within a range of teams (eg only 3* teams). I mean, this idea is so fricking basic, and EA know full well of the problem with everyone picking Man U, so implement it.

I have never played Online. Cuz i play on PS2 without networkconnection. So i'm not sure this function already exsist but to solve the problem with players always selecting Man United is pretty simple.
Ea should implement a "XP" to every player, like a Level-function. The higher level you got as a player the better teams you can select. By that, you really need to start playing from basic small teams and later on you can challenge with the "big-ones".

It's a really simple solution and the ones who plays online alot and wins matches deservs to play with the best teams... but as i said, i don't know if theres already an XP-function in Onlineplay...

I have never played Online. Cuz i play on PS2 without networkconnection. So i'm not sure this function already exsist but to solve the problem with players always selecting Man United is pretty simple.
Ea should implement a "XP" to every player, like a Level-function. The higher level you got as a player the better teams you can select. By that, you really need to start playing from basic small teams and later on you can challenge with the "big-ones".

It's a really simple solution and the ones who plays online alot and wins matches deservs to play with the best teams... but as i said, i don't know if theres already an XP-function in Onlineplay...

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think this is the best way forward. I think people are perfectly entitled to pick whatever team they want.

However, I should equally be able to create a new session with two teams of my choosing (eg. Cardiff v Burnley) and not have to put up with the first person that joins the session immediately switching one of the teams to Man U. This happens with ridiculous frequency. If I want to play 10v10 with Cardiff v Burnley, then I should be able to. Anyone joining the session and not wanting to join either Cardiff or Burnley is free to leave and join one of the countless other sessions with Man U or Barca featuring, or create one themself. I'd happily wait a bit longer in the session I created until some people join who are happy to play with these lesser teams.

I join many random 10v10 sessions online and when I enter a room and see it's Barca or Man U (which it is, about 90% of the time), I immediately leave. If people want to play endless Man U v Barca matches, let them.

But let me also have my session with the teams I want to play with.

You should be able to set up something like "equal or below" if you start a session with "equal or below" selected and choose say Sheffield Wednesday, then anyone who joins you can only choose from 2.5* teams and below........

Last edited:
it is really strange fifa has this always picking the top teams syndrome, I play nba 2k9 nhl 2k9 and sometimes madden online and people seem to pick random teams all the time... but in fifa its always the same 6 teams. It also seems leagues around here die a slow painfull death. There is a website I am a part of where guys have a custom roster league, and they pick players via snake style fantasy draft, and they play eachi other twice and use league daddy to track the league, BUT, they refused to force manual or semi controls, so i did not participate. I tried to convince them other wise but they all said it was too hard... oh well they seemend a dedicated bunch and they have a great system for scheduling games and enforcing it... if anyone is interested check out http://www.xboxlivesportsleagues.com/ i have been in two excellent sim leagues here(nba 2k9 and nhl 2k9) and it makes randon online games useless. They have rules for each league and dont allow cheesers...

it is really strange fifa has this always picking the top teams syndrome, I play nba 2k9 nhl 2k9 and sometimes madden online and people seem to pick random teams all the time... but in fifa its always the same 6 teams. It also seems leagues around here die a slow painfull death. There is a website I am a part of where guys have a custom roster league, and they pick players via snake style fantasy draft, and they play eachi other twice and use league daddy to track the league, BUT, they refused to force manual or semi controls, so i did not participate. I tried to convince them other wise but they all said it was too hard... oh well they seemend a dedicated bunch and they have a great system for scheduling games and enforcing it... if anyone is interested check out [url]http://www.xboxlivesportsleagues.com/[/URL] i have been in two excellent sim leagues here(nba 2k9 and nhl 2k9) and it makes randon online games useless. They have rules for each league and dont allow cheesers...

Off-topic, but why is it that American organise their competitions (sports or games) so much more fair than we here in Europe ???

I never play online but if it's correct that you play with (world?) rankings, why not attach bonus points if you play with litle teams...if you win with Notts County a win counts double. I you win with Cardiff or Avelino a win counts for 1,75 points and if you win with Everton, WBA or Genao a win counts for 1,5 points.
If you win with Man Utd, Barcelona,.... it counts for one point...

Off-topic, but why is it that American organise their competitions (sports or games) so much more fair than we here in Europe ???

I never play online but if it's correct that you play with (world?) rankings, why not attach bonus points if you play with litle teams...if you win with Notts County a win counts double. I you win with Cardiff or Avelino a win counts for 1,75 points and if you win with Everton, WBA or Genao a win counts for 1,5 points.
If you win with Man Utd, Barcelona,.... it counts for one point...

They've already done something like that.

Presentation:

I would like to see no more cutscenes or blackouts. If there is a throw-in, show the guy running to take throw in instead of fading out. Same for goal celebrations and fouls and cards. A camera change can happen, but it should be spontaneous, and a part of the game. Not cutscenes.

Better commentary as I talked about earlier. Pre-game, half-time and post-game shows. I want to see players warming up on the field. I want to see an analysis of the game's positions afterwards. This would also motivate the gamemakers to make commentary and player skill/development system, because they go hand-in-hand (All involve interpreting the input you put into the game.) It doesn't hurt to have any of these. I myself enjoy these types of things. If someone doesn't feel free to skip.

Goal celebrations should be limited to one. Either get rid of the cutscenes or get rid of the celebration system. I suggest the cutscene, because it just doesn't fit in. You run around doing flips, and then all of a sudden the same guy is at the sidelines showing off to the crowd. For example, I scored once with Eduardo but right after the goal he got injured. So he was on the ground turning. But the goal cutscene still came on where he was running to the fans. Right after that cutscene another cutscene came on showing Eduardo limping off the field.

Also, for online allow me to skip every cutscene please. Or just like pauses have a limit of replays a guy can watch per game. I'm tired of watching shitty shots over and over again when I'm losing 3-0. Makes you just wanna quit the match.

Last edited:
Gameplay:

Pretty much what everybody else mentioned here. One of the main issue here for me is switching players. I feel this is really terrible. I think they may have done this to encourage using the right stick for switching but I don't really feel like using that.

Also better goalkeepers. Too easy to score from far away. :D I think also the sideline refrees should be a little more accepting. The margin for offsides is too little.

I feel the game is too much based on counter attacks. I don't know how to fix this, but so much of the game is composed of 1 on 1 situations. Almost all games I have played online have been furious matches of the ball going back and forth full of 1 on 1 situations. I know it has to do with the way people play the game, but the game also has the tendency to turn into this speed frenzy too quickly. This is part of the reason why the offside issue I mentioned sticks out so much.

I think the rating player system should be revamped for soccer games all around. I think players should have certain skills instead of numbers. How much do we feel those numbers directly affecting the game. When I put Altintop on for Van Bommel because he is a 79 instead of 78, does it really make too much of a difference? Or I put Cruz on instead of Adriano because his finishing is higher by 1 or 2 points does that really make that increase my chances of score 1 on 1's that much? And how can we really measure if one player is better than other. Or faster, or more agressive, etc. I think we should just go by logic. When I ask somebody what do they think of Torres, or let's be more precise, when I would ask a scout to write me a report about him he wouldn't tell me "his aggression is 91, his determination is 72, his natural strength is 81, his heading is 79, his blah blah......" They would tell me "He has explosive acceleration, he likes to feint, and can penetrate into the box very well. He has a great sense for scoring goals and has good positioning, etc. But his understanding of team play is not very good. He prefers to keep the ball at his feet thus losing a lot of balls and wasting chances." (Making up this stuff, not a real scouting report.) So the game can have something similiar where each player has strenghts and weaknesses instead of a bunch of numbers who we're too lazy to look at. These skills can have levels as well if they prefer.

So we could have something like this.

Fernando Torres:

Explosiveness *****
Finishing ****
Positioning ***
Complacent lvl ****
Inconsistent lvl **
Prefers to shoot inside the box *****

So the way this would translate into the game would be Torres would have explosive acceleration so if you're 1 on 1 with a defender, you'd be able to make turns and feints really quickly and just accelerate past them on the point. Compared to other players who take a lot longer to recover after they make cuts, feints, or open the ball from their feet. You'd also rarely fall offsides, and your player would follow crosses and offensive positions really well increasing the chance for connecting for headers, in-box passes, and rebounds.

But you would also miss easy 1 on 1 positions because of complacency. For example, A striker without this trait like Van Nistelrooy would almost score 100% on situations like these. Also, Torres would have trouble applying his strengths during all periods of the game as a result of the inconsistency. And whenever you entered the box, you would have better chances to score, and if you did decide to pass it would be a hesitant and delayed pass usually ruining the position.

These traits, strenghts, and weaknesses would determine the positions of the player instead of pre-determined positions. You as the manger would decide to play him wherever to his strengths. If you think Mascherano would make a good stopper, or you prefer your stoppers to be good passers and prefer to put Fabregas there, go ahead. You know the players weaknesses and strengths, and if you think he can cope there it is your decision. There is no number penalty where the player drops immidieatly to a 42 because that is not is suited position. If he really isn't suited to player there, then you will naturally see it because he has no traits for positioning, marking, sliding tackles, offside traps, and the opposition forward will make look like a fool. Just in the same way, the player won't magically become a 92 instead of 87 when you move him 2 inches to the left on the field. Of course the player would still have preferred positions and he could display his game better there. And you can add an adaptability trait to some players, so some players would display their traits just as well. For a scenario like this, some players may even show a better performance for your desires in some positions than others. This is much more realistic and actually even more simple than what is already implemented. And it would also solve the problem of individuality for players that some of us have been complaining about. This would force you to make best use of your players like real life instead of just putting the higher rated player in that position. When I play now, I have no reason whatsoever to make a substitution, because I already have my best players on the pitch. But with such features you would actually have a reason. If you keep falling victim for the offside trap, then you just might feel compelled to take off your star forward with those great dribbling skills, but a blatant weakness for timing. You might feel compelled to put in the defender skilled in marking instead of your veteran defender who is great at applying the offsides tactic, because your sub can switch from a sprint to a strafe without any setbacks to hold back that dribbling forward. And the traits would develop according to how you play during manager mode. A youngster making passes through balls all the time would get improved vision and passing skills. If you keep making long balls with him, that's the traits he would get. If you sprint for long periods of the game, you would eventually get a much more conditioned player or you can prefer to develop a Seedorf or Riquelme type settled player. It's not actually that advanced, I think it is very simple and applicable. I get excited thinking about the possibilities, but I know something like this would never get implemented. (Even though they have very similar things in both All-Pro Football, and Football Manager).

Also, I'm not so happy with the Live Season updates. I don't like the fluctuations so much, and it is practically impossible to give ratings to players accurately based on weekly performances. It's just not very realistic or fun, and it affects the stability of the game. How am I supposed to develop my tactics and teamplay, when my key players are shit the next week. This goes back to the rating system I talked about.

Last edited:
I think the rating player system should be revamped for soccer games all around. I think players should have certain skills instead of numbers.

So we could have something like this.

Fernando Torres:

Explosiveness *****
Finishing ****
Positioning ***
Complacent lvl ****
Inconsistent lvl **
Prefers to shoot inside the box *****

That's why there are traits.

With the Ultimate Team DLC for FIFA 09 coming soon I think it's safe to say we won't be hearing anything about FIFA 10 for a month or two at least.

That's why there are traits.

Well I didn't know about that, but what are their effects on the game? I'm pretty sure it is an almost trivial statistics. I'm talking about a system where the traits, weaknesses, and strengths determine the player.

Maybe it just sounds good for me? :D

Lots of people have said this before, and I feel like it's the very last thing WE/PES has going for it - stats in FIFA don't seem to make enough difference for me. Particularly the skill-related ones. Yes, someone with a higher speed rating can outpace others, but controlling bouncing balls, picking through balls and other things that are to do with technique ratings seem almost the same for everyone. Oh and tackling, I get so sick of having a Didier Drogba or Dimitar Berbatov running after my midfielder, back into my half and then nicking the ball with a perfectly timed challenge. Doesn't happen.

I still think the foundations are all there, just need that bit of effort!

give the manager(which is me) in manager mode the ability to accept offers to coach other teams and transfer to them
make the manager start as a level D manager meaning he can only coach 2nd division teams or be an assistant coach on a bigger team
if the manager start as 2nd division coach he should have full power over his team and by accomplishing as much as he can with this team he earns MG(manager glory) points the more points he gets the better offers he would get in the future as a team manager
if the (user) chooses to start as an assistant coach he should have half the power over his team meaning he can only partialy affect the teams starting linup and tactics and may be after 3-5 seasons he gets premoted to coach this team or accept an offer to coach a nother team
offers can come to coach international teams for international occasions so this way as a manager i can play in all international and local leauges making fifa 10 manager mode totaly new and never ending

Last edited:
The main things I'd like to see are:

1) A training mode to practise individual things
2) In the club mode dressing room, the ability to go out on the arena mode and play there, and also do training.
3) Quick Freekicks
4) Ability to change freekick taker without having to go into the tactics screen, just go to one menu like Pro Evo
5) Choose who goes up for corners/freekicks

a couple of improvements i'd like to see: -

Gameplay

- low crosses being more powerful, so you can smash it across the front of goal.

- more people attacking the ball in the air, one a side is not realistic for corners.

- select players to go up for corners and freekicks, ala pes.

- quick menu selection for subs (show match rating and fatigue) and freekick/corner takers, ala pes.

- goalkeeper fouls resulting in penelties and red cards, for christs sake.

- quick freekicks and throw-ins if the ball is close and available, to keep the momentum up when attacking.

- switching defenders should be smooth in terms of movement and more user friendly.

- bring back diving, hilarious if you don't get given the freekick and carded, has to be difficult to con the ref though.

- offsides, giving the striker the benefit sometimes if it's close.

- more pitch side activity, managers, coaches, players warming up, fourth official etc.

- better celebrations for important goals, incorporate crowd, manager, coaching staff, subs bench etc.

- pitch invasions at the end of important cup games/play-off games, semi finals not final.

- different types of refs, some let things flow and some like being centre of attention (mr riley).

Manager Mode

- training, playable or sim and get player ratings.

- realistic sceduling, midweek/night games.

- big game build up, cup final, etc.

- manager offers from other clubs.

- day to day calender, like other ea sports games.

- computer transfers.

- get match reports from reserve games to look out for youngsters coming through.

- sign coaches, scouts etc. like other ea sports games

- stadium upgrade means a new stadium.

- scouting finds real players, not just two random names put together and given a club, nationality and ratings.

Be A Pro

- january transfers, important if you don't end up enjoying playing for a team you sign for.

- request position change, cause if you want to play as a CAM and get given the CDM postion it's slightly annoying.

- start on the bench or get subbed off, never happened to me even when playing s**t.

- better AI, some of the decision making is rubbish.

- when captain you shouldn't pick the team or make subs but you can challenge the manager on decesions and request changes.

- better press coverage, comments from manager, etc. make it a bit more of a full experience.

- training, can impress here as well as reserve games.

- edit player, if you can do this? i can't find where.

- longer career, euro and world cup including qaulification rounds.

i'm not even going in to online improvements. i know alot of these things have been said before, but i just wanted to compile my thoughts.

Yep they're all good, not sure about the diving, I'd like to see some players who are known for simulation maybe as a trait going down very easy and maybe even getting a card, but I don't like the idea of an option...

Yep they're all good, not sure about the diving, I'd like to see some players who are known for simulation maybe as a trait going down very easy and maybe even getting a card, but I don't like the idea of an option...

Agree 100%, diving belongs in shitty arcade football games.

I think the idea about different styles of refeeing is wonderfull.
I'm not sure if a diving feature is that bad. It exists in real football.
It should be very difficult to do and should otherwise result in yellow cards.
Players from the CPU teams should also do it, and sometimes get away with it. It would be wonderfull if you would loose an important match because of the AI diving...this is what makes games immersive IMHO.
The problem is that if the AI does it, it should not happen every match and players should not always get away with it. Generally these sorts of random events are not good in games (also look at injuries: not enough in FIFA or PES, too much in Football Manager...or maybe it's me....).

the diving idea came from pes 2008, i thought they implemented it very well. hardly ever got used by the AI and when used by a player/computer most of the time they were carded for cheating.

it was an art in itself getting away with diving, i think i only got away with it once or twice. i didn't use it alot like.

it's one of those little things, but can cause so much controversy.

when playing with a group of mates and somebody dives and gets a penalty/freekick or gets carded it's another point for discussion. more points of discussion are needed to up the enjoyment. (by discussion i mean shouting, name calling and occasionally beer cans being thrown)

- diving

- offsides

- ball crossing the goal line

- fouls (does happen at the moment, but from poor collision detection)

all these things need a bit of randomisation, so the officials don't always give the right decision. it will make the experience alot more realistic.

how many times after a real game do you hear "the ref did us over there"

these changes don't have to make a massive impact on the games, just every now and again decisions are wrong. (like never getting a penalty at old trafford for example)

Last edited:
I agree, but the randomisation is often not very good in video games...not very realistic (too often or not enough).

Diving will probably never be in FIFA, because the real FIFA is all about Fair Play. So if EA wants diving in the game they would probably have to change the name of the game and that isn't very likely now is it.

the diving idea came from pes 2008, i thought they implemented it very well. hardly ever got used by the AI and when used by a player/computer most of the time they were carded for cheating.

it was an art in itself getting away with diving, i think i only got away with it once or twice. i didn't use it alot like.

it's one of those little things, but can cause so much controversy.

when playing with a group of mates and somebody dives and gets a penalty/freekick or gets carded it's another point for discussion. more points of discussion are needed to up the enjoyment. (by discussion i mean shouting, name calling and occasionally beer cans being thrown)

- diving

- offsides

- ball crossing the goal line

- fouls (does happen at the moment, but from poor collision detection)

all these things need a bit of randomisation, so the officials don't always give the right decision. it will make the experience alot more realistic.

how many times after a real game do you hear "the ref did us over there"

these changes don't have to make a massive impact on the games, just every now and again decisions are wrong. (like never getting a penalty at old trafford for example)

That would be awesome.

Oh really? Well maybe the real FIFA don't mind, I just thought they would never approve of that.
the animation was well funny, it looked like they were diving into a pool.

world cup 98 was made by EA but wasn't a FIFA, there was a FIFA 98 released in the same year by EA

Last edited:
Diving will probably never be in FIFA, because the real FIFA is all about Fair Play. So if EA wants diving in the game they would probably have to change the name of the game and that isn't very likely now is it.
no way man, thats not true. In one fifa there was a button combination that threw elbows... it always got you a red card, but the animation was funny, thats certainly not fair play

Back
Top Bottom