FIFA 10 NG Improvements Thread

You know, if you tap the stick at 90º to the direction you're moving, rather than holding it, that you sidestep, rather than turn.

That I actually know hehe. I have a post about it floating around here in some thread from some time ago, can't be arsed to find it though. ;)

However, if you tap-sidestep, the player will move almost 2-3 meters before you can again control him, it's a long animation. Also you can't follow up a te-sidestep with a sidestep in another direction (like in the video I posted), AND you can only do the sidestep 90 degrees to the side, whereas in PES you can do it at a 45 degree forward angle aswell (in FIFA if you move 45 degrees the player will always turn his body).

FIFA is alot les versatile and rigid (ie you have set points in moves where you can change direction, but in PES you can actually make the player have some urgency if you move the stick quickly to do several sidesteps after another, FIFA just has sort of the same balltouch-speed no matter how quickly you move the stick).

Also the 2-foot feint is tonnes better in PES, in FIFA it is hard to pull off even in situations where the player ought to have no problem doing it.

Last edited:
I was playing against my gf's Dad last night, I was 1-0 up, he gets a corner late on.

The keeper came up, my defence got the ball and launched it forward...

"PEEEP" Offside was given against my striker. No big deal, it happens...except my striker was STILL IN HIS OWN HALF! :RANT::RANT:

Defenders that don't run in the opposite direction when you press change player.

So frustrating.

Yep it is annoying, I'd also be interested to see the stats for shots from the edge to outside the box hitting the target and/or going in.
I'm finding far too many goals are coming from inside the box only and the keepers making far too many wonder saves given the amount of shot's it's possible to make hit the target given the shoot=scoop system FIFA has... :CONFUSE:

I only play this game on-line (because playing against the AI is so utterly dreary and repetitive).

1. Less scripting!!! FFS, even 10 v 10 is about 80% script. God, stop copying shit ideas from Konami.

2. The human player's skill should be, by far, the most important factor, not which team they pick. Fed up with every hopeless noob picking Man U (or similar glory teams), holding down sprint, randomly press shoot from anywhere within 30 yard range and hey presto, an auto-goal is delivered on cue.

3. Allow us to kick those cocks from the lobby that refuse to pick a team or press READY!!

4. Allow us to stop everyone picking glory teams by letting the session creator have the option to fix the teams, or fix within a range of teams (eg only 3* teams). I mean, this idea is so fricking basic, and EA know full well of the problem with everyone picking Man U, so implement it.

5. In 10v10, allow us to see the formation and player changes that a team captain makes!! When we have to pick a player, why can't we have listed the actual names of players rather than just the position they play?

6. In 10v10, have a final screen before kick-off which allows captains to ensure the kits don't clash!

7. During a 10v10 match, when you LIST ALL PLAYERS, it should list the users name but also the colour of triangle they are playing - would make it far easier to find and boot out the trouble makers, rather than trying to read the tiny, blurry text above their heads. When I know I want to boot the guy who's a green triangle who keeps scoring OGs, I shouldn't have to get out my magnifying glass.

8. Why does the radar fade away so often? What's the f*cking point of that? How about making the ball become invisible every now and then, too. That would be equally useful.

9. Employ someone with some degree of objectivity and common sense to test all theses basic, peripheral, yet critical aspects of the game. And if you already have someone, sack him because he is failing very badly. I'll do it for free.

Addictive game, but so many stupid errors and flaws, and I've only listed the first few that came into my head. There are undoubtedly hundreds more. And that's not to even go into the actual gameplay problems.

Addictive game, but so many stupid errors and flaws, and I've only listed the first few that came into my head. There are undoubtedly hundreds more. And that's not to even go into the actual gameplay problems.

Spot on.

It feels fantastic at first but give it a couple of months and the flaws are glaringly obvious.

Two things for me that I couldn't see on the first page of this thread (but apologies in advance if I've missed them):

Manager Mode:
Better appreciation and build up of tension for significant matches. For example, I might win the league with 5 games to go but the commentators don't mention it until the last game, by which time I might be trying out new formations, reserves etc. I'd rather the papers were building up to the game (a little how they do on International games during BeAPro seasons).

General thing:
When selecting which mode to play [a] it always defaults to "start a new game" and then warns you about losing unsaved stuff.

Well, maybe this is a bit personal and bespoke but most of the time I load the game up and want to pick up where I last left off so I won't have lost any unsaved data 'cause I've only just switched the bugger on!

The first point would certainly add a great deal of realism to the overall expercience for me.

Overall, the list is looking pretty good. Good work tiktiktiktik :-)

No more "the Mexican Marquez", no more "the run of the ball determining the nature of the pass", and no more "I just love the way a team passes around when they have the lead. Yeah, I think the confidence of the players has a lot to do with it as well."

I think instead of a straight up commentary system of in this situation play this clip, and in this one play that, and etc which is the way commentary has been done since the first day I think a more dynamic system should be implemented.

I think AI's should be constructed for both speakers who have knowledge and programming about how humans construct sentences. They should then produce their own sentences from scratch depending on the situation based on the reactions and output of the AI system. Then a voice recognition/duplication system would be implemented to copy and reproduce the voices of the speakers.

Just kidding :D That would be way too complex, but I really think some innovations can be made. There should be some sort of in-game emotion meter for the speakers. And this meter would determine the level of enthisuasim for the speaker and the change from emotion to emotion. It would still be recordings, but a much deepet vault of recordings to match each emotional level and the transitions.

For example, we could have a speak who really enjoys dribbling. When Messi starts sprinting down the ball his excitement level would go up and his tone would change along with it, and when he enters to box to shoot he would be almost yelling.And if they score he would go bizzerk or if they miss he would be so dissappointed at the missed opportunity. But let's say the team is trying to build up play with short passes amd je doesn't enjoy that as much. He wouldn't be so excited at the goal or missed chances.

And his partner couldbe the opposite, he might not enjoy dribblers so much and be suprised how his aprtner can compliment Messi so much when he thinks he's playing so selfish and losing the ball so much.

Also, the speakers can talk about the direction of the game and what has happened so far based on simple things such as possesion and total shots and shots on target. He could talk about how a team has been dominating and the opposition really need to change their tactics, and how even though they have 10 shots they haven't been on target at all or that the goalie has saved so many goals. They can also do this for individuals. If let's say Adebayor has missed so many goals or Fabragas has been losing the ball so a lot, the speaker would start criticising the player as the game went on or as he continued to mess up. Or he could start to compliment the player after he has started to turn his performance around.

The ridiculous amount of times they say "The unmistakable Ronaldinho" just pisses me off! And I agree with the above, some more expression from fantastic moves from players, or for example; A screamer, the commentator can go "WHAT A GOAL, A STUNNING STRIKE FROM ....".

I agree with a lot of the points above. But for me two crucial changes that need to be made to gameplay in FIFA 10 have to be:

1) Responsiveness in general - Even though FIFA 09 has improved on 08, for me it is still a little slow to react to my button presses. Passes aren't quick enough for me and the crossing animation is still too slow, even when I press quick cross. This also includes player switching and the general speed of players when changing animations i.e. switching from running, slow dribble to knocking the ball ahead with the right analogue stick to dummying and passing quickly when under pressure. The keeper rush needs to be quicker also.

2) AI - Another overhaul. This has been discussed a number of times on the preceding pages so I won't bore you with a long list, but for me the major change needs to be made in regards to the keepers.

Outside of gameplay, the major change needs to be done to the Manager Mode. We now have play-offs thank god, and there seems to be a few changes since FIFA 08. However, in general the mode is very limited when it comes to developing your club and individual players. The opportunity to have training matches would be a great addition to adjust to new players in the team and improve certain areas of play. I'd like to see a more detailed MM which allows me to manage all aspects of the club. More details about injuries would also improve the game for me and in some cases these should be season long injuries, two game injuries etc etc rather than the default maximum of 7 days. I'd also like to see my team lift a trophy or celebrate after winning the league. Although, this is a minor change there is a greater sense of accomplishment lifting that virtual trophy :LOL:.

No more "the Mexican Marquez", no more "the run of the ball determining the nature of the pass", and no more "I just love the way a team passes around when they have the lead. Yeah, I think the confidence of the players has a lot to do with it as well."

I think instead of a straight up commentary system of in this situation play this clip, and in this one play that, and etc which is the way commentary has been done since the first day I think a more dynamic system should be implemented.

I think AI's should be constructed for both speakers who have knowledge and programming about how humans construct sentences. They should then produce their own sentences from scratch depending on the situation based on the reactions and output of the AI system. Then a voice recognition/duplication system would be implemented to copy and reproduce the voices of the speakers.

Just kidding :D That would be way too complex, but I really think some innovations can be made. There should be some sort of in-game emotion meter for the speakers. And this meter would determine the level of enthisuasim for the speaker and the change from emotion to emotion. It would still be recordings, but a much deepet vault of recordings to match each emotional level and the transitions.

For example, we could have a speak who really enjoys dribbling. When Messi starts sprinting down the ball his excitement level would go up and his tone would change along with it, and when he enters to box to shoot he would be almost yelling.And if they score he would go bizzerk or if they miss he would be so dissappointed at the missed opportunity. But let's say the team is trying to build up play with short passes amd je doesn't enjoy that as much. He wouldn't be so excited at the goal or missed chances.

And his partner couldbe the opposite, he might not enjoy dribblers so much and be suprised how his aprtner can compliment Messi so much when he thinks he's playing so selfish and losing the ball so much.

Also, the speakers can talk about the direction of the game and what has happened so far based on simple things such as possesion and total shots and shots on target. He could talk about how a team has been dominating and the opposition really need to change their tactics, and how even though they have 10 shots they haven't been on target at all or that the goalie has saved so many goals. They can also do this for individuals. If let's say Adebayor has missed so many goals or Fabragas has been losing the ball so a lot, the speaker would start criticising the player as the game went on or as he continued to mess up. Or he could start to compliment the player after he has started to turn his performance around.

Good idea's. An emotion meter would be excellent, it would heighten the experience.

I think EA could do so much more with the Commentary. In Fifa 09 they arent even aware if the match your playing will win you the league title. nor are they aware of the current situation in 2 leg tie's, if its 1-1 on agg. no mention of the away team needing a goal to progress or anything. Commentary in Cup finals is poor also, when a team is losing. there's no spark of interest from the Commentators in regards to the losing team needing to desperately find a goal to avoid losing the final.

Id like them to talk about the table situation occasionally. so say if your 8th in the Championship with 7 league matches remaining, Martin Tylor could say "a win for 'teams name' could push them towards the Play-Offs. or if your in the bottom 2 with only a few remaining matches in the season, Martin Tylor could say "this is a virtually must-win match for 'teams name' who are desperate to avoid relegation. then Andy Grey could comment on the likelyhood of you winning this important match, taking into account your current form, the quality of the opposition, etc...

If you sign a player who scores on his debut, this should be mentioned. especially if you've signed a young striker who scores a wonder goal against a big club, the 'emotion meter' can be raised.

Also the half time analysis needs much improvement. Andy Grey tends to say "they're winning but could be losing, it's been that kind of game" even when your winning 2-0 and winning 10-0 shots on goal. a mention of the tactics employed by both managers and whether they have been effective and things such as key battles between certain players would be good. it doesnt have to be to long obviously as most people skip the half time menu fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Actually those would be awesome for a half-time show like the ones they had back in the day for ESPN Nfl Football.

those half time shows were quality, i remember the one in the NBA games. shows the key players and their game stats and highlights, also the key in-game head to head's.

Outside of gameplay, the major change needs to be done to the Manager Mode. We now have play-offs thank god, and there seems to be a few changes since FIFA 08.

There does? Other than things removed I can't think what changes you're seeing, well they changed the XP system to try to implement some kind of "do badly get -XP" but considering how high the +XP awards are I consider the XP system completely broken, I left my coaches on 2/3 and I still get like 2,000XP to apply to certain players after 2 matches.

I just really hope EA don't have the impression that haven't surpassed PES at last, they can just rehash the same thing every year. IMO the single player experience still leaves a load to be desired in FIFA, and like it or not this is still a decent junk of hte gaming world.

'10 will be a big test of their dedication to improving their product in meaningful ways. I don't mean ADIDAS live season or 10 v 10 - I mean having AI that makes a striker run forwards not backwards when he's alone in the box. Having AI that doesn't require moving your defenders out of the way when you select them to beat you. AI that doesn't rely on the fact that a bouncing ball automatically means the human player loses out.

Basically, they have all the tools there. The physics engine is brilliant, the graphics are fine, the database will easily be updated. It comes down to their ambition. Can they finally create a realistically challenging game? Some NBA and NFL games are, so why not football? Is it too random?

Be A pro:

When an AI player becomes suspended or injured he disappears from the starting line up and bench for the rest of the season.

I've had Torres and Gerrard both get suspended this season and neither has returned yet (Torres - at least 10 games ago and Gerrard - at least 5 games ago).

It's like they get "stuck" in the reserves even though I make sure they are in the starting line up in the Team Management menu.

Annoying.

One simple and very annoying thing.A left footed player is using his right foot as his main dribbling foot like for instance Messi doing the flip flap with his right.Take this off please

The physics engine is brilliant

Naah it needs some work, for example you can't hit a dipping shot unless 1. it's a volley 2. the ball is a little away from the foot and you run onto it hitting it first time. Same with crosses you can't really whip in dipping crosses unless the same applies, knock the ball ahead with the right stick and then press cross so you run onto it and cross it and it tends to be a much better cross than you can ever do when the ball is "stuck" to your foot.

Also ball reactions from tackles, rebounds off players, rebounds off the woodwork don't feel right, nor bouncing balls with heavy spin.

Don't get me wrong the physics are nice, much better than PES (subtle deflections especially) but there's still room for improvement.

They also need to fix the phantom goalkeeper saves as well, that's more a collision detection issue but somewhat ties into ball physics.

And Messi never does fli flap!

You get the idea though.It's the same principle as left footed keepers who clear with their right foot.It makes no sense whatsoever and I'm surprised something so minor like this wasn't even taken into consideration by EA

Be A pro:

When an AI player becomes suspended or injured he disappears from the starting line up and bench for the rest of the season.

I've had Torres and Gerrard both get suspended this season and neither has returned yet (Torres - at least 10 games ago and Gerrard - at least 5 games ago).

It's like they get "stuck" in the reserves even though I make sure they are in the starting line up in the Team Management menu.

Annoying.

I can't confirm it but I believe the solution for this bug is to simulate a game and they will be back after that. I know I read something about this on the official board and this was said the be a work around. Someone first said you need to get a red card in a game but another said it was enough just to simulate a game (which is what happens when you get a red card).

I know it's been mentioned before but it's completely driving me nuts.

It seems that 90% of the games I play online are against guys who have everything set to assisted.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to, far from it. All I'm saying is that I don't want to bloody play them.

IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE, WHEN CREATING A MATCH, TO SEARCH FOR PLAYERS WITH SPECIFIC CONTROL SETTINGS.

I know it's possible to choose Assisted, Manual or No Restrictions but this is way too vague.

Very few people like playing on fully manual settings as is is very hard, especially passing + it's impossible to find a match when you choose this setting, believe me, i've tried.

Introducing a Semi control setting would not fully solve the problem either as not many people choose Semi for every setting.

BELOW IS THE IDEAL SET OF OPTIONS:

Pass Assistance: Assisted / Semi / Manual or Any

Through Pass Assistance: Assisted / Semi / Manual or Any

Shot Assistance: Assisted / Semi / Manual or Any

Cross Assistance: Assisted / Semi / Manual or Any

Lob Pass Assistance: Assisted / Semi / Manual or Any

I appreciate that this would limit the amount of available games but for instance I dont want to play guys on assisted shooting, so i would choose:

Pass Assistance: Any (No Restrictions)

Through Pass Assistance: Any (No Restrictions)

Shot Assistance: Semi

Cross Assistance: Any (No Restrictions)

Lob Pass Assistance: Any (No Restrictions)

So basically, I would be matched only with guys who have shot assistance set to semi and everything else could be at any setting.

Surely this would solve the problem?

IF ANYONE HAS ANY CONTACTS IN EA OR CAN GET THIS SUGGESTION TO THEM, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT!!!!

Stuart I see what you're saying.

Try finding people that play like that through forums, etc and add them to your player list. That might solve your problem rather then trying to find people through the search engine.

Back
Top Bottom