Whatever happened to..... [Name Player X ... ]

Didn't Trabelsi sign for Arsenal and then not...actually sign for Arsenal?

I remember he was already in their squad on one of the PES games.

A fee was agreed between Ajax and Arsenal but...well, I'm not really sure what happened. Several rumours were bandied about as to why he didn't sign; some said that he failed a medical, others said that he turned it down for personal reasons, others said that he couldn't get a work permit because of Tunisia's FIFA Ranking. Shame, he was a talented player and I'm sure Wenger could have moulded him into a decent player. It doesn't matter I suppose, we had Eboue instead :D

Here's one that I'm uncertain about; Supat Rungratsamee. Is he even real? I've heard that he's 16 and attends a school in Waterlooville, but that could simply be a lie. Anyone who has ever played Championship Manager 03/04 knows that he was an absolute god! :LOL:

What about Sonny Pike? Signed for Ajax and was touted as being a successor to Diego Maradona or George Best

Here's one that I'm uncertain about; Supat Rungratsamee. Is he even real? I've heard that he's 16 and attends a school in Waterlooville, but that could simply be a lie. Anyone who has ever played Championship Manager 03/04 knows that he was an absolute god! :LOL:

Hahaha Super Supat! :LOL:

I managed Portsmouth in CM 03/04 and he was in the youth team. Talk about inheriting a gem :LOL:

Sadly, I think he was made up, as a lot of google searches seem to indicate. He's aged 15 in each CM and subsequent FM game, so unless he's got some Peter Pan bizniz going on he's fictional.

EDIT: Some idiot included him as a Pompey player 'to watch out for' in 2007 :P
http://tinyurl.com/ydnr2dw

Last edited:
I think Andrea Barzagli could fit the thread too: Great potential, very good at Palermo and Chievo, seemed like the next big thing but has become a rather mediocre player and never lived up the expectations.

Weird thing, if someone asked me in 2006 who, between Giorgio Chiellini and him would have become a world class player i'd have let good ol' Chiello down without esitations.

The very same Barzagli who won the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg last season? ;)

Being a reserve in a team that is 8th in the Bundesliga is not exactly the career people were hoping for him when he was 20 years old.

If we must talk about that, then Ibrahim Ba won 1 scudetto, one Coppa Italia and a Champions League with AC Milan and even a Swedish League title in Djurgårdens, but he's one of the biggest let downs I remember and also one of my little, personal defeats since I proudly own his 97/98 season number 13 shirt.

Probably Ibou is a better candidate for the thread than Barzagli, in the end :\

Last edited:
Being a reserve in a team that is 8th in the Bundesliga is not exactly the career people were hoping for him when he was 20 years old.

If we must talk about that, then Ibrahim Ba won 1 scudetto, one Coppa Italia and a Champions League with AC Milan and even a Swedish League title in Djurgårdens, but he's one of the biggest let downs I remember and also one of my little, personal defeats since I proudly own his 97/98 season number 13 shirt.

Probably Ibou is a better candidate for the thread than Barzagli, in the end :\
He was first choice last season and this season, barring the period during October/November when he was dropped.

Still, after a great season last year, Wolfsburgs defense surely couldn't live up to their expectations. Barzagli would be no exception. They conceded over 50 goals already.

Still, after a great season last year, Wolfsburgs defense surely couldn't live up to their expectations. Barzagli would be no exception. They conceded over 50 goals already.

On that basis Andrei Arshavin fits the thread; failing to fulfil the performances of the previous season and experiencing capricious form throughout this season and regularly disappointing with highly erratic shooting?

In my opinion they don't belong in this thread at all. They are regular starters for good/very good teams who compete in the major leagues and European competitions. They aren't at their best currently, but that's it.

My point was that he was supposed to be the next big thing when he was young and ended up as a good defender but nothing more, but probably Rentalkid is right.

Let's talk about him then.

132_attach1_img_794001_Baronio.jpg

Eddie Johnson!!

Was dynamtie on FM2008 and big things were expected of him. He moved to Fulham IRL where he couldnt get a game, now finds himself going on loan to various clubs doing absolutely nothing.

Poor Eddie.

My point was that he was supposed to be the next big thing when he was young and ended up as a good defender but nothing more, but probably Rentalkid is right.

Let's talk about him then.

132_attach1_img_794001_Baronio.jpg

If we're going to talk about Lazio players, might as well list the whole roster except Muslera :LOL:

But in seriousness, Lazio have so many decent players disappear... they've managed to make former Barcelona GK Bizzari disappear, Carizzo disappear and Simone Inzaghi.... very strange.

Surprised no-one at all has mentioned Freddy Adu.

A FM legend, he finally earned his inevitable move to a big club in Europe when he joined Benfica but he failed to break into the first team on a regular basis that season.

He was loaned out to Monaco last season but made even fewer appearances and Monaco declined to take up their option to sign him when his loan concluded.

This season he's already in his second loan spell. He was supposed to spend the season on loan at Belenenses but they cancelled his loan at the end of the year when a new manager was appointed.

Now he's into a year and a half long loan deal at Greek club Aris alongside a fellow FM American legend in Eddie Johnson, ironically.

Somebody did mention him earlier, Abou. ;)

As for Barzagli, yeah I would agree that he doesn't belong in this thread. I mean, sure, he didn't become the absolute world-class CB many thought he would, but the guy is a World Cup champion after all, and made one half of the backline of the current German champions! So he may have not lived fully to the hype, but he's still been playing at the highest level. Not exactly a huge failure.

Trabelsi was a problematic player anyway. Bad attitude and unprofessional. And yah I think he declined joining Arsenal for personal reasons though he was very close to a move at one point. Anyhow, he's perfect for this thread because after his spell with Man City in EPL where he didn't do 'much' but I remembered score that beautiful left-footed shot against Man U in the derby, he was released from his contract and guess what... hasn't played football since! lol

What the fuck?!? The guy decided, oh well.... I have enough money? He was still only like 30 then, and could find 100's of clubs I'm sure who'd be interested. I guess his heart just wasn't in Pro Football anymore. So he went from playing EPL football to no football. An early retirement and not because of injury either, though he certainly had his problems with injuries as well.

If this was an American Football(not soccer) thread the failed players would be either in jail/under drug substance abused or tragically dead. Even though these bright footballers never lived up to there mark on the football field at least they're not as many whose lives took such tragic turns (well not as much as the average failed American Football player).
what? doesnt make any sense... You ever hear of heath shuler? Well he was a top prospect for the washington redskins, he stunk the joint up, never lived up to his potential and now.... he is a US Senator... Sure there are lots of other examples where the athlete went the other way.. anyways... whatever happend too Kleberson who went to manu...

Surprised no-one at all has mentioned Freddy Adu.

A FM legend, he finally earned his inevitable move to a big club in Europe when he joined Benfica but he failed to break into the first team on a regular basis that season.

He was loaned out to Monaco last season but made even fewer appearances and Monaco declined to take up their option to sign him when his loan concluded.

This season he's already in his second loan spell. He was supposed to spend the season on loan at Belenenses but they cancelled his loan at the end of the year when a new manager was appointed.

Now he's into a year and a half long loan deal at Greek club Aris alongside a fellow FM American legend in Eddie Johnson, ironically.
Adu is still like 20.... Eddie Johnson is not a legend(maybe in cardiff,LOL)... And i dont think dos santos from mexico is washed up either.. Aris could make the champions league and then Adu and eddie might be getting CL games.. I think eddie will never become a great player, Adu still have the ability

whatever happend too Kleberson who went to manu...

He may have failed to make the grade at Old Trafford, but in Brazil everyone has the same opinion of Kleberson: that he's a top player. He's resurrected his career at Flamengo and whilst he may be frequently afflicted with injuries, he bounces back stronger every time. Compared to fellow Flamengo player Adriano, Kleberso is significantly more likely to make he squad for South Africa. Dunga values hi highly and he's a fulcrum of the Flamengo side.

Speaking of big name players in the Brazilian league that have flopped, you can't forget Cicinho who has been an absolute embarassment at Sao Paulo. Heck, Robert Carlos has been very poor at Corinthians and he looked poor last season at Fenerbahce, it's as if he's forgotten how to control the ball and has been a massive flop (He's been sent off twice and in tose gams, against Santos and Palmeiras, it's the only time that he's hard a significant part to play).

guly.jpg

All hail Andres Guglielminpietro.
Had a brilliant season at AC Milan, then he decided to become one of the weakest player ever.

Can't believe FC Internazionale was able to exchange him with Andrea Pirlo.

Ended his career at his original club Gimnasia y Esgrima la Plata, after being able to be mediocre at Al Nasr too.

Talking about Internazionale, someone remembers Sebastian Rambert? He came at Intenazionale with Javier Zanetti and, funny thing, he was considered the crack while Zanetti was some unknown young guy that was supposed to disappear as soon as possible. The irony.

EDIT: Speaking of Inter's brilliant exchanges, whatever happened to Francesco Coco?! :D
He was exchanged with Seedorf, wasn't he? :LMAO:
He had a lot of injury problems! But still...

Talking about Internazionale, someone remembers Sebastian Rambert? He came at Intenazionale with Javier Zanetti and, funny thing, he was considered the crack while Zanetti was some unknown young guy that was supposed to disappear as soon as possible. The irony.

Loool is that true?!?! hahaha! But no I don't remember Rambert.

I do remember 'Guly' though! :D hahah. Always thought he's so average, how can he play for such great clubs? But then some players just seem to get lucky like that, don't they...

Last edited:
Yep, brilliantly exchanged with Clarence Seedorf, at the time probably the best european midfielder.

Aaah, good ol' days.

He may have failed to make the grade at Old Trafford, but in Brazil everyone has the same opinion of Kleberson: that he's a top player. He's resurrected his career at Flamengo and whilst he may be frequently afflicted with injuries, he bounces back stronger every time. Compared to fellow Flamengo player Adriano, Kleberso is significantly more likely to make he squad for South Africa. Dunga values hi highly and he's a fulcrum of the Flamengo side.

I would not be so sure about that, I've heard hes been really poor this season on the last game he was on the bench.

People are already questioning him a lot and making pressure on Dunga to call someone more offensive.

Its pretty much bs if you ask me, cause Brazil lacks CMs like him. The media forget things way too easily, specially when the Seleção isn't in action.

And you also have to consider that the season isn't really on fire yet. State champions aren't that great and Libertadores group stage doesn't have the value it should have now.

Speaking of big name players in the Brazilian league that have flopped, you can't forget Cicinho who has been an absolute embarassment at Sao Paulo. Heck, Robert Carlos has been very poor at Corinthians and he looked poor last season at Fenerbahce, it's as if he's forgotten how to control the ball and has been a massive flop (He's been sent off twice and in tose gams, against Santos and Palmeiras, it's the only time that he's hard a significant part to play).

The same goes for these two imo, we gotta see how they perform on Libertadores next stage, the motivation is way bigger there (again I don't know why) Roberto Carlos sent off against Palmeiras was clearly cause he wasn't used to our refereeing.

But I think Cicinho is definitely a case for this thread, he is already complaining about the bench at São Paulo, he is such a spoiled brat.

Didn't knew you followed brazilian games, its about to get better in the next 2 months, can't wait to see Santos at Brasileirão for example, I wanna see their performing against big teams from other states.

Guly will be famous for one of worst handball goal in Serie A, while Cicinho will be famous for one of worst Roma-Real Madrid trades (Samuel and Cassano to Madrid, Cicinho and Baptista to Roma...)

Well, I don't know if he was internationally known, but Michael Zepek was one of the hottest prospect at his time.
Played for every youth international side of the DFB.
After he signed for Bayer Leverkusen he played worse than he played before.
After getting loaned to minor league clubs his contract wasn't extendend and so he signed year-by-year to lower league club each time until he became 'teamless' this summer.

PSVs ex-10 Leandro do Bonfim wasn't a great player either. Came as a youngster to PSV for 5.5 million euros but never could add quality to the team. After 2 seasons he was sold to FC Porto, and his downfall began quickly (now plays for some brazilian lower league club I think).

Last but not least:

Mateja Kežman - scored the most goals in one season in the Eredivisie but after his transfer to Chelsea he didn't play as well as he did for PSV.
He is now a unwanted sub at PSG and after having signed for different great clubs he is now linked with transfers back to Serbia.

You're wrong, man.
Despite a difficult start (with those 2 red cards), now Roberto has been the best left-back in the country so far. Has started scoring goals and is been really important for Corinthians in last 5 games. An absolut first team player. Some part of the media want him at the WC Squad, as no-one has still owned the position in the national team.

About Kleberson.
The guy had a great 2009 season, being part of the successful Flamengo squad that won the Brazilian Championship and earned caps from Dunga. Was almost a certain for South Africa squad.
But this year he started slowly, mostly because of physical problems, and is now a substitute. What raises the doubts on him, making people think if the likes of Neymar or Ronaldinho wouldn't be better choices.

Cicinho is really fat, and that explains why he can't make the starting 11, but still shows some class when gets to the field. Maybe with some time he'll get in shape.

And it is really nice to see people from abroad following brazilian football indeed.

You're wrong, man.
Despite a difficult start (with those 2 red cards), now Roberto has been the best left-back in the country so far. Has started scoring goals and is been really important for Corinthians in last 5 games. An absolut first team player. Some part of the media want him at the WC Squad, as no-one has still owned the position in the national team.

I haven't watched the last 6 or so Corinthians matches so I didn't know that he improved upon his previous performances. But he did start off poorly at Corinthians and was seemingly following a downward trend that started at Fenerbahce. It's good to hear that he's picked up his performances though, it would be such a shame for one of the great Brazilian full-backs to have his name tainted.

And it's always good to watch South American football, it gives you a first hand chance of seeing the players who, in a couple of seasons, will be destroying defences in the European leagues.

Going back to players that have flopped, what about Jerome Rothen? He hasn't been great over the years and was a misfit at Rangers recently.
And what about Corrado Grabbi? He hasn't matched the heady performances of his youth days. Having said that, he was affected by the Calciopoli scandal and he did have a good, albeit brief, spell at Genoa recently.

Back
Top Bottom