Whatever happened to..... [Name Player X ... ]

Hahah Fran!! with that left-foot! I had totally forgotten about him!! Him on the left. Victor Sanchez on the right! Last I remember Victor, he'd gotten a little older, 30 I think and past his best but Panathinaikos bought him. Don't really know what happened afterwards...

Yeah SuperDepor they were called during that era. Great team. Lots of money invested in them through Lendoiro but they paid the price for it a few years later as he couldn't keep that up and they ran into some financial problems.

Yeah SuperDepor they were called during that era. Great team. Lots of money invested in them through Lendoiro but they paid the price for it a few years later as he couldn't keep that up and they ran into some financial problems.

Hope that this will also affect on PL teams and teams like Real or Barca.

Football shouldn't be a business about spending billions of euros.

Well it already has affected certain clubs, look at Portsmouth! And it will many more in future if they're not carefully managed. It won't affect Barca and Real that way because they have HUGE support and are money making machines! But when a team like Valencia or Deportivo wanted to challenge them and successfully they did for a few years in early 2000's, then lots of investment was needed and even then you can't keep it up forever, as you very slowly but gradually increase income and fan-base while Barca and Real already each have almost like half of Spain alone (forget about worldwide!) supporting each of them.

Anyway though, let's not keep on this topic because it'll take us off-topic and open a whole can of worms. The guy you brought up and are named after, Metaja Kezman is a fantastic example for this thread though :) as you said.

Hope that this will also affect on PL teams and teams like Real or Barca.

Football shouldn't be a business about spending billions of euros.

I know what you're trying to say, but how you've said it seems really nasty. Wanting teams to suffer a demise is actually a really horrible thought to have. But anyway let's not dwell on that.

I know an absolutely perfect name for this thread: Antonio Núñez. Name not ringing a bell? He's a Champions League winner, a former Real Madrid player and Rafa Benitez's second signing for Liverpool in a deal that saw Michael Owen go to Real Madrid. Still not ringing a bell? Well why would it; he scarcely played, despite his promising potential, and his performances were uninspired

Hahaha I remember Antonio Nunez. He's one player I'm not surprised went nowhere though. I never saw any promising potential in him. He was mediocre at best and just because he was young and came out of Real Madrid, some thought he has shot of becoming a decent player.

He's one I never had high hopes for, was laughing when Liverpool signed him. Along with Josemi. :D Lol

Went to Greece later too, no? Anyway that's a great one. Perfect for this thread!

Yeah but I think Nunez never fell that far, did he?

I think he would not fit that good, because he is just a talent that has not become the great player that everyone wanted from him.

There are more 'wasted' talents like Vonlanthen or Youssouf Hersi.

Yeah I thought Vonlanthen would become big! Many of his Swiss counterparts did much better.

Anyway, I would say Nunez has fallen though, amigo. He plays in Cyprus apparently! From Real Madrid and Liverpool to 2nd division football with Real Murcia and now in Cyprus league. I'd say he's perfect for this thread.

Seeing Vonlanthen a fast talented winger reminded me of Wilhelmsson, whatever happened to that guy?

Oh and that led me to another guy that was pretty good in Sweden team in old PES, hehe PES gave me good references, used to play with Sweden a lot, Larsson FTW!
but back on the main point, its Anders Svensson, maybe he was never that good as I didn't really knew his game that much,
but I still remember a roulette he did at 2002 WC and hit the post right after.
Last time I've heard of him he was at Southampton.

Oh and thinking of Svensson led me to another 'shorty' offensive CM, Michael Johnson, now thats a case for this thread.

About Djalminha (few posts behind), you can see him here:

YouTube - Showbol - Djalminha inova na batida de pênalti, mas acaba se dando mal

That guy could've been a legend. One of the most skillful players I've seen. Missed the 2002 World Cup because of that fight with Depor's manager.

I'm not sure if names like Jardel fit here as I believe he had exactly (or even more) what was expected for him IMO. Nobody ever thought he could be the best in the world or something that near...

Derlei, "the Ninja", played last Brasileirão for Vitória EC. Never managed to become a regular starter due to injury problems. Now he plays for a 4th division side, Madureira.

Yah Djalminha is a complete waste and look at that PK! :LMAO:

The manager, you mean Irureta?

About Derlei, I checked him and he's like 35 now. But still, 4th division?!?! Goddamn!! It's amazing how you can fall!

That guy who had number 10 at Liverpool. Luis Garcia? :D

He was actually good though but yeah gave his best days arguably to Liverpool. After that, it was downhill, then again he was like 29 or so when he left so it may have been expected...

You know who I just remembered and WEREN'T good though?! Looool... some Milan buys of Spanish players!

Anyone remember Javi Moreno and Jose Mari?!?! :D

Now to give credit to Jose, he actually did a decent job later on as rotation player for a good Villarreal side. But Javi Moreno was just poo!

Salva Ballesta also comes to mind. So many Spanish flops!

Javi Moreno was shit. He scored 20 something goals the season before we got him. Jose Mari wasn't bad, he was just nothing special... I actually liked him.

Another player that was OK was Cosmin Contra... don't know why we sold him.

I actually liked Contra, I can't see either why we sold him. Not a shame since we played with Cafu after, but he was a decent right back.

Talking about AC Milan legend flops, no one can forget Andreas Andersson, probably some EPL fans will remember him too.

Swedish forward, slow and stiff, technically poor, always gave me the impression that he wasn't supposed to play football to begin with, since he looked like a Standa's clerk in the Christmas eve every time he played.

Spanish players do not fair to well in Italy...fact!

Haha Andreas Andersson good one.

Seeing Wesley Sonck score the other day made me think
what happened to him? Looked very good at Ajax(like a lot of
breakthrough players:cough:Dani:cough)

Edu(ex-arsenal)? Hugo Viana? Arizmendi?

Michael Johnson, now thats a case for this thread.

Had a short comeback scored a cracking goal in the carling cup
then got injured for the rest of the season.

He's very talented just got injury problems.

Oh and that led me to another guy that was pretty good in Sweden team in old PES, hehe PES gave me good references, used to play with Sweden a lot, Larsson FTW!
but back on the main point, its Anders Svensson, maybe he was never that good as I didn't really knew his game that much,
but I still remember a roulette he did at 2002 WC and hit the post right after.
Last time I've heard of him he was at Southampton.

Svensson was a classy player in my opinion, but I think he has a strong relationship to his home.
I think he still plays for Elfsborg, side-by-side with other ex-internationals like Teddy Lucic or Stefan Ishizaki.

Thinking of Sweden brings me to some scandinavian 'flops'.

What about Steffen Iversen from Norway?
Or actually Mikael Forssell, who really dropped hard last years (but I think it's related to his club - also internationals like Mike Hanke do not play their anymore).

Forssell was great in his day, underrated IMO. Unbelievably he was at Chelsea until 2005 although he only played 33 games. Now at Hannover 96.

Just to bring an update to one of those 'great' players;)

Fred Rutten said that Andy van der Meijde could return onto the pitch next weekend against AZ.
He also played in an exhibition game against VVV this weekend.

eduardo da silva "dudu" was great striker while he play in Dinamo Zagreb. in his last season in Dinamo he scored 34 goals in Croatian first league (record of league).
When he went to Arsenal he doesnt score to much, why?
Because stupid Wenger don't take eduardo in game. I wish he come back at loan in Dinamo, or go to some club as HSV, Fiorentina, Villareal...

eduardo da silva "dudu" was great striker while he play in Dinamo Zagreb. in his last season in Dinamo he scored 34 goals in Croatian first league (record of league).
When he went to Arsenal he doesnt score to much, why?
Because stupid Wenger don't take eduardo in game. I wish he come back at loan in Dinamo, or go to some club as HSV, Fiorentina, Villareal...

There is an altogether different reason for that. When Wenger first started to play Eduardo after recovering from that horrific injury, Eduardo got injured and this occurred repeatedly. Which is understandable, the propensity of a player to sustain injuries after recovering from an injury is high. At the time, Wenger was accused of rushing him back to quickly. So, this time around, Wenger has been more tentative and casual in bringing him back to the fore. Moreover, with injuries to other squad members and our fixture list (and therefore a change in tactics), Eduardo hasn't been played. He has started to look promising once again, and he played an interesting role against Wolves - hassling defenders, holding up the ball to bring others in to play.

But I'm not sure if he's going to have the same future at the club that everyone thought he would pre-injury. He just gets injured far too often now, and it's a shame because he has such tactical accumen and all-round ability.

I remember that era for Deportivo - they did have some great players.

Also Molina in goal (who battled and recovered from cancer, if I remember correctly), Donato (who had the fattest head I've ever seen and is the one, PLF, that played into his 40s) and the excellent Flavio Conceicao, who went to Real Madrid but should never have moved.
I used to love being Deportivo in the early Pro Evo. Djalminha had a FK accuracy of something like 94, but power of about 72 :D

What about Daniel Fonseca?!

Last edited:
Brilliant guys! :D

Also remember that Schnider (Spelling? ) who was an Argentinian striker, played a bit for Juve and also in Spain for Atletico I think. Was good but nothing special. Damn... I was a little kid then so I hardly remember much... probably not even correct spelling of his name but had long hair...

Last edited:
juan esnaider. he was a good striker when playing for zaragoza (scored the equalizer in the cup winners' cup final vs arsenal in 95).

Back
Top Bottom