Whatever happened to..... [Name Player X ... ]

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
Oh how the mighty have fallen....

I wanna dedicate this thread to footballers who have really fallen from grace and not because of old age! We often celebrate or at least speculate about how amazing, talented youngsters can become in a few years but rarely consider the opposite which also happens quite often. We just forget about them after awhile... I'm talking about when certain talented players dazzle us with incredible skills and great performances at a relatively young age, only for us to expect them to get even better or at least maintain that ability for years to come and then they go ahead and do the opposite! Fast forward a few years to something like now and they've unexpectedly fallen off the map and are no longer half the players they used to be and with no hype or expectation around them anymore. Sad but very true for many!

So here are 2 examples to start off. Go back about 4 years and two of the hottest attacking (but not forward) players in the world were none other than 1 of the Brazilian superstars of CSKA Moscow, the left-footed Daniel Carvalho who helped them to that UEFA cup title and Heerenveen's Dutch/Turkish superstar and FK champ, Ugur Yildirim! Remember him?! (I randomly remembered him today and he's the real inspiration behind this thread! :LMAO:)

11348_200x250.jpg

Guess where he is now and what he's been up to in recent times?! :EASY:

At a particular time, both were doing so well and flying high! Yildirim was being courted by both national teams and bigger clubs tho many could already see he's over-rated and just being hyped a lot at that time I remember. And I seem to recall after thinking about it for awhile, he finally decided to play for Holland and actually got 1 or 2 caps, I think. His Freekicks were fantastic and he seemed so consistent with them! Him and Juninho were probably the world's best at that point.

Dani Carvalho is of course much better known and was once striking fear in even the best defenders in Europe when they had to play CSKA! He got a deserved call up at one point and even scored on his debut I seem to recall.

Now at only 27 still though, these two are a SHADOW of the players they once were! And have more than likely already represented their country for the last time as well as played the best football of their career. And that's what the theme of this thread will be. Players who at one point (even if just for a brief period of time like Yildirim), shined brightly but have really fallen from grace and whose abilities are now sadly only a FRACTION of what they once were.

So here are just 2 but certainly not the only ones in the huge football world, let's get the ball rolling and identify these failures/disappointments.

Whatever happened to......

Last edited:
Camel Meriem is one of the biggest fail I see for France.

After his incredible season with Marseille (2004), he joined l'EDF.
He had skills, good vision and he is ambidextrous, but he made a terrible choice of carrier.
When he could have tried his luck in another league, he decided to sign for Monaco. Baaaaaaaad choice.

None of the Ligue 1 teams wanted him this season and seeing him sign for Salonique this february is just sad.

Camel Meriem is a perfect example!

Definitely talented and at one point had the new "Zidane" tag cuz of Algerian roots and skills on the ball and playmaking vision. He was one of the most two-footed players I've seen! But a combination of injuries + Lack of ambition (Which I think we'll notice is a KEY trait among most listed in this thread as it goes on... ) made his career far less stellar than it could've been!

Francis Banecki is a a big fail in Germany.

He was a very big talented youngstar and made his first Champions League
appereance with Werder Bremen in the age of 19. Everyone thought he will be
next star of Werder Bremen but he suffered a serious knee injury. He
doesn't came back for two years. After it he was transferred to
Eintracht Braunschweig in the 2nd League but doesn't gain acceptance,
so he switched to Hertha BSC II in the 3rd league but the same again.
Now he plays for FC Oberneuland in the German 4th league.

Wow now that's a PROPER fall from grace!
From CL football and German youth Int'l to 4th division! :LOL:

Francis Banecki is a a big fail in Germany.

He was a very big talented youngstar and made his first Champions League
appereance with Werder Bremen in the age of 19. Everyone thought he will be
next star of Werder Bremen but he suffered a serious knee injury. He
doesn't came back for two years. After it he was transferred to
Eintracht Braunschweig in the 2nd League but doesn't gain acceptance,
so he switched to Hertha BSC II in the 3rd league but the same again.
Now he plays for FC Oberneuland in the German 4th league.

Isn't there a woman footballer who goes by Banecki?

Remember him, Francis Jeffers brought from Everton to Arsenal for 8 mil. as a very talented zoung footballer.

HAhaha yeah Franny Jeffers lol. Broke through Everton looking like a very promising young English forward intially, same thing Rooney did a few years later, but of course one only went downhill from there while other one's guy better and better! :)

I remembered a couple good ones today, forgot them now though...

Portillo comes to mind. Broke Raul's goal record in the Real Madrid youth team. Tipped to become a Real Madrid star and some said replace Raul once he retired and had a 35 million release clause in 2002. That money back then was able to sign Ronaldo.

Hahha yeah Portillo is a great example! :D

Also remember Filippo's younger brother, Simone Inzaghi guys? :D hahahah! Ok, so nobody expected BIG things from him anyway, but at one point he actually was a decent striker.

No balls on that guy though! I remember him and Di Canio fighting once over who takes PK for Lazio a few years back. They didn't look like they got along!

Oh how the mighty have fallen....

I wanna dedicate this thread to footballers who have really fallen from grace and not because of old age! We often celebrate or at least speculate about how amazing, talented youngsters can become in a few years but rarely consider the opposite which also happens quite often. We just forget about them after awhile... I'm talking about when certain talented players dazzle us with incredible skills and great performances at a relatively young age, only for us to expect them to get even better or at least maintain that ability for years to come and then they go ahead and do the opposite! Fast forward a few years to something like now and they've unexpectedly fallen off the map and are no longer half the players they used to be and with no hype or expectation around them anymore. Sad but very true for many!

So here are 2 examples to start off. Go back about 4 years and two of the hottest attacking (but not forward) players in the world were none other than 1 of the Brazilian superstars of CSKA Moscow, the left-footed Daniel Carvalho who helped them to that UEFA cup title and Heerenveen's Dutch/Turkish superstar and FK champ, Ugur Yildirim! Remember him?! (I randomly remembered him today and he's the real inspiration behind this thread! :LMAO:)

11348_200x250.jpg

Guess where he is now and what he's been up to in recent times?! :EASY:

At a particular time, both were doing so well and flying high! Yildirim was being courted by both national teams and bigger clubs tho many could already see he's over-rated and just being hyped a lot at that time I remember. And I seem to recall after thinking about it for awhile, he finally decided to play for Holland and actually got 1 or 2 caps, I think. His Freekicks were fantastic and he seemed so consistent with them! Him and Juninho were probably the world's best at that point.

Dani Carvalho is of course much better known and was once striking fear in even the best defenders in Europe when they had to play CSKA! He got a deserved call up at one point and even scored on his debut I seem to recall.

Now at only 27 still though, these two are a SHADOW of the players they once were! And have more than likely already represented their country for the last time as well as played the best football of their career. And that's what the theme of this thread will be. Players who at one point (even if just for a brief period of time like Yildirim), shined brightly but have really fallen from grace and whose abilities are now sadly only a FRACTION of what they once were.

So here are just 2 but certainly not the only ones in the huge football world, let's get the ball rolling and identify these failures/disappointments.

Whatever happened to......

FC Oss. Second division in Holland. He was never a superstar.

Lars Ricken, injuries ruined him, he was great for a few seasons at Dortmund, even in the CL final against Juventus, but he now works as a youth team spotter for Dortmund.

Valdimir Bout (sometimes spelled "But") again a very good young player at Dortmund, and was great before he signed for them at Chernomorets Novorossiysk, it never worked for him in Germany and he slipped down the leagues before returning to his club on the Black Sea coast.

Hector Font, was a great player at Villareal in Spain at around 2005-6, but then slipped down the team and ended up at places like Valladolid and Murcia.

Oscar Serrano, around the same time as Hector Font this guy had a great season at Espanyol. But then he moved to Racing Club of Santander, and while still a decent player his career stopped growing.

Aleksandr (Alexander) Danishevsky, a great little creative midfielder at Spartak Moscow in the early 2000s, he can from Sevastopol (then a closed city in Crimea, as his family worked for the Soviet Black Sea fleet). As the USSR fell apart he ended up in Moscow and playing for Spartak. He scored some important goals for them, notably against Liverpool in the Champions League Group Stage (around the year 2003) as an 18yr old. He had all the talent of an Arshavin but it never worked out for him, he slipped down the clubs in the Russian league Khimki, Krasnodar and now back at the Black Sea with Sochi... Still only 26.

Also remember Filippo's younger brother, Simone Inzaghi guys? :D hahahah! Ok, so nobody expected BIG things from him anyway, but at one point he actually was a decent striker.

No balls on that guy though! I remember him and Di Canio fighting once over who takes PK for Lazio a few years back. They didn't look like they got along!

i can hardly imagine how anybody could possibly get along with di canio :P

not sure this will be an appropriate entry but.....

diego_maradona_junior.jpg

diego maradona junior
the italian son of the most famous pibe de oro. spent his early years as a footballer playing for napoli and genoa "primavera" (youth teams) and was unanimously regarded as a hot prospect with a brilliant future (not as brilliant as his father's though).
an endless downfall brought him to play for some inferior leagues club..... then some amateur clubs....
today he's 24, he's no longer a professional footballer and plays for a beach soccer team

Goossens_Dirk_104.jpg

Dirk Goossens

This is from a while ago.
Dirk Goossens was considered the biggest talent in Belgian football in the late '80's.
Like most big talents he ended up with Anderlecht in a period that Anderlecht already had a very strong team and bought some players not because they needed them, but because they didn't want them to join other "big" Belgian clubs like Brugge and Standard. Goossens was such a player. On top of that he lost his parents very early and had some bad friends. Well anyhow it didn't work out for him at Anderlecht and after a couple of seasons he got transferred to Antwerp where he played (and lost) an ECII final against Parma.
From there on it all went down hill and he ended up in jail when he was in his late 20's. At that time he was the ring leader of a gang that did some robberies. He was the "brain" and the robberies were performed by juvenile delinquents.
After his time in jail he got a contract for Dutch club RKC who are well known for giving "second chances" to difficult players...despite this, he miserably failed there too...

nii.jpg

Nii Lamptey

Nii Lamptey is perhaps one of the most tragic cases in the football world.
When he was 16 he was considered the best player in the world of his age and seen as Maradonna's successor. He joined Anderlecht with a couple of other Ghanese players who would that same year win the world cup for youth teams (don't remember what age). Of course Lamptey was the player of the tournament.
After a very good spell with Anderlecht he went to PSV and later to Aston Villa where it all went downhill. He went on to play for lots of other clubs (and always was the next club a lesser club than the previous) and ended up playing in Ghana.
Now he has a school in Ghana.
Later on it was known that as a child Lamptey was regularly tortured by his own father who was a religious fanatic.

Freddy Addu reminds me a litle bit about Lamptey. All in all i think Lamptey came to young to Europe at a time where young players weren't helped like now.

Richard Wright

Started his career at Ipswich Town where he made over 200 apps and did enough to convince Arsenal to part with up to £6M to sign him as the long term successor to David Seaman. Despite the 'tache meister suffering an injury, Wright failed to take his chance, to put it mildly. One of the highlights of his season was lobbing the ball into his own net in a calamitous 4-2 defeat to Charlton Athletic. Despite this, he made enough apps to pick up a Premier League medal that season! And was then sold.

At Everton his form was unimpressive, the highlight of his Toffees career being when he injured his own ankle in the warm up to a game vs Chelsea by hitting a sign which read, "PLEASE DON'T WARM UP HERE," or similar :LOL:

http://footpaintalk.com/richard-wright-ankle-injury

He was released from Everton, picked up by West Ham, then went on loan to Southampton, where he was then bought by....

Ipswich Town (where to be fair, apparently he's done quite well! Again!)

Well,I just remembered Giovanni Dos Santos today,he was considered one of the biggest talents but after he went to Spurs from Barca,things changed,and he's now in the English Championship,playing for Ipswich.

EDIT:Just saw that he now plays in Turkey.

Lars Ricken, injuries ruined him, he was great for a few seasons at Dortmund, even in the CL final against Juventus, but he now works as a youth team spotter for Dortmund.

Lars Ricken is a very bad example for this, he is still a legend
in our club, he never failed and is one of the most faithful
players in our club, nobody will forget that goal in Champions
League final. :))

But he should have been on of Germany's best midfielders in the last decade, and he should have been getting to the finals of many competitions... he only played 16 times for Germany...

What about this guy...
foquinha.jpg

Kerlon the Sealion kid,
I know he is at Ajax but look at the number of games he has he whole professional career, is shocking.
Only 42 Games for Cruzeiro in 3 years (2005/2008)
4 for Chievo 2008/2009
0 for Internazionale 2009
0 for Ajax 2009/2010

The irony in the pic are the other two guys that did quite well in their career, well maybe not Fred (by the expectations).
I bet most of us that day would say Wendel was the less promising of those.

Kerlon still young though...

If this was an American Football(not soccer) thread the failed players would be either in jail/under drug substance abused or tragically dead. Even though these bright footballers never lived up to there mark on the football field at least they're not as many whose lives took such tragic turns (well not as much as the average failed American Football player).

What about this guy...
foquinha.jpg

Kerlon the Sealion kid,
I know he is at Ajax but look at the number of games he has he whole professional career, is shocking.
Only 42 Games for Cruzeiro in 3 years (2005/2008)
4 for Chievo 2008/2009
0 for Internazionale 2009
0 for Ajax 2009/2010

The irony in the pic are the other two guys that did quite well in their career, well maybe not Fred (by the expectations).
I bet most of us that day would say Wendel was the less promising of those.

Kerlon still young though...

I think everyone remembers Fred by his flip flap super goal in the CL 5 years ago with Lyon.

5 years ago? Wasn't it like couple years ago or so?

And yeah sauce, it's funny where and how good Wendel is now compared to Kerlon! :D Of course Kerlon's still young and can maybe become something.

Great input everyone. Richard Wright and Lars Ricken, yeah I remember them!! Of course if you want to talk about German disappointments and injuries and never truly fulfilling potential, etc. You never have to look past Sebastian Deisler. :(

@Ben, Lol true about Di Canio! :P haha. Anyway I checked and Simone's still at Lazio apparently!?

Of course if you want to talk about German disappointments and injuries and never truly fulfilling potential, etc. You never have to look past Sebastian Deisler. :(
yeah, such a talented and unlucky player :((

PLF said:
@Ben, Lol true about Di Canio! :P haha. Anyway I checked and Simone's still at Lazio apparently!?

yeah, i wonder what's his current assignment though. squad chef? gardener? coz he's definitely not a football player anymore :P i can't even remember when he played his last match... it must have been at least 2 years ago, i guess.
it's quite a shame actually. i mean, he's never been a great player, but, as u said, there was a time when he was a pretty decent forward.... very injury prone though.

Last edited:
sheva did it against fenerbahce. :D

van basten as well as far as I know, so milan players have a great history in this competition.

Back
Top Bottom