Whatever happened to..... [Name Player X ... ]

can i include freddy adu here? :)

He still Benfica player but it's on loan at Aris Thessaloniki from Greece.

BTW... where's Ivone de Francheschi? Daniel Carvalho? Sebastian Giovinco? Freddie Ljungberg? Denílson? Christian Wilhelmsson?

Last edited:
Giovinco is still at Juve, no wonder why he's not playing much at the moment (injury?). Freddie is still playing in MLS, for Seattle. I think Denilson (WC2002 winner)is playing in Greece.

Probably nothing compared to some players mentioned here, but I'd add Gaizka Mendieta.

Had a great season with Valencia but never managed to maintain that form.
Failed to impress at Lazio, Barcelona and even at Middlesbrough...

Mendieta is a great example! In his peak at Valencia, one of the world's best and not long after, a very mediocre player! Just fell off the map! That Boro move did not work out!

Andy van der Meyde!! Lol remember him?! Hahah.. there were people including me that when he signed for Everton said, wow, that's a shocker, he's too good for them. Of course since then Andy has only gone DOWN and Everton up in world standings and reputation. He just went completely CRAP and at one point was very sought after when in Ajax before move to Inter. I know he had a horrible time with injuries but I'm sure in a case like this, there were other problems too. Personal problems, psychology? Death of loved one? Something went really wrong with him.

@Pedro, long time no talk bro! Dani Carvalho I mentioned in very first post. He's in Qatar apparently now at 27! Denilson is the PERFECT example! One of football's biggest disappointments perhaps. :( Hahah I still remember when Betis broke the BANK for him! lol

As for Freddy Adu lol, yeah it's a bit too early as he's still very young but he looks headed towards this list, doesn't he? :D

Last edited:
man! mendieta and van der mejde! i completely forgot about them.... they both definitely deserve a mention in this thread!

as for giovinco, poor fella, u can't really define him a disappointment... they just don't let him play. besides he's still very young.
sabac red said:
Can I include Ricardo Quaresma to the list?
hey buddy, it's been a while! and yeah, i guess quaresma perfectly fits in here :))

Last edited:
Oh man Mendieta! Thats the winner for me.

Rafael Sobis plays in middle-eastern and he is often linked with Brazilian clubs, one day he will show up again.

Robbie Fowler
Robbie Keane
Djemba Djemba
Andres D'Allessandro
the guy from Deportivo who used to be PLF's avatar and played for West Ham too.

It's not like he played only 1 good season. I disagree on Diego Tristan. He vanished but he had his moments.
The same goes for Morientes. He was great but after a certain age, some players lose their football and shape.

Last edited:
Andy van der Meyde!! Lol remember him?!
Oh funk, I was thinking about him the last weekend..
I just can't recall why we got there, but he somehow popped up during a random football conversation among friends..

The guy is INCREDIBLY FAT lol.
At the extent that he was called "Lardel" here in Italy (with a joke on "lardo" being a kind of fat)

By the way, does anyone remember HUGO ENYNNAYA?
n119792880106_4468.jpg
He used to be a hot prospect in the early 2000's playing for Bari, and everyone was talking miracles about him..
Then his performances (and his career, consequently) suddenly got worse, and worse, and even worse..

He now plays for Meda, an Eccellenza (6th tier of Italian football) club.. How sad :CRY:

Last edited:
What about Carlos Alberto from Porto?

When they won the Champions League in 2003-04, he was widely regarded as a great talent and he was turning in several eye-catching performances, then seemed to completely fall off the map.

I remember looking ages ago and he was at Bremen but it wasn't working out?

Sina posted something about him a few months ago:

Carlos Alberto has never lived up to the hype really. The talent and potential was obvious for everyone to see, that's why big money was spent on him throughout his career and he almost always let his clubs down. He'd show glimpses of his talent here and there but too rarely and not consistently enough. Some injury problems as well.

He was bought by Corinthians after failing to secure a regular spot in Porto and inconsistencies in that era where they also bought Tevez, Mascherano and other stars. Then was sent on loan to a few other Brazilian clubs. Werder attempted to give him another chance at European football which he didn't take either impressing rarely and showing bad attitude which has always been his main problem for me. Right now I think he's on loan again to a Brazilian club probably showing great skills one week and ineffective and out of the game the next and causing some sort of trouble.

Yeah Robbie Fowler is a bit of a weird one. He is a Liverpool Legend isn't he? they used to call him God! Think he may have proved his potential? Didn't do aswell for England, that could be a case?

Yeah he didnt do anything at international level but I think he's in the top 10 Premiership scorers which is good going considering he also played for City! :LOL:

Maybe gerd's got another reason for suggesting him?

Yeah Robbie Fowler is a bit of a weird one. He is a Liverpool Legend isn't he? they used to call him God! Think he may have proved his potential? Didn't do aswell for England, that could be a case?

wrong, he will forever be known as GOD ;)

robbiefowler_god.jpg
fowler2.jpg

Wow lots of great suggestions here though I don't understand Robbie Fowler or Robbie Keane one either gerd.

- Carlos Alberto = Another Flop!

:LOL: @ Jardel aka Lardel. Dude was a GOAL machine!

@Ben, Simone's position is no longer clear at Lazio? He's chef? :LMAO: somebody should ask Pippo what his younger brother is up to these days lool.

@Dom, Andy VdM was a good player for a couple seasons imo. But it is true that even at that time, some including you I believe, thought he was over-rated and being hyped too much and while they were in the minority, they were right.

Anyhow, apparently he signed for PSV recently. You're Dutch so you know a lot better than I do. He could do a LOT worse considering his downfall and diminished ability! And perhaps he's headed that way anyway, it's a short-term contract. Let's see how long he'll last there... and what his next club will be.

It's not like he played only 1 good season. I disagree on Diego Tristan. He vanished but he had his moments.
The same goes for Morientes. He was great but after a certain age, some players lose their football and shape.

Yah he had several good seasons. Showed his ability to the world at the highest stages (La Liga and CL for Depor but not so much for Spain unfortunately due to injury problems) for several seasons.

Having said that, while Morientes got old and slow and so ability went away, Diego got crap a lot earlier than he should've and never maintained his ability due to too much partying, clubbing, etc. Huge disappointment of a player! Nowadays many don't even remember him anymore. I remember at one point Arsenal wanted to buy him for $25 million.

-------------------------

Here's 1 more.

Alvaro F'n Recoba! LOL after his 10-year stay with Inter. Didn't know whether to applaud the genius or punch the crap out of him! One of the most frustrating players to watch ever! Gotta admit, I got the urge to do the latter more often than 1st but he also had pure 'magic' in him and his left-boot.

Robbie Fowler
Robbie Keane
Djemba Djemba
Andres D'Allessandro

D'Alessandro was good at River then went to Wolfsburg and was ok there for a few years. It went wrong for him at Zaragoza in Spain. He didn't get too many games, this was just after the last World Cup, but basically he made the wrong choice, he could have gone to Atletico or Benfica but picked Zaragoza which is a pretty small town in Spain compared to the captial or Lisbon in Portugal.

He then went back to San Lorenzo in 2008 he did really well there under Ramon Diaz (probably the best coach in the world at moment, certainly the best in Latin America) and shone for San Lorenzo against River (his old club) in the Libertadores. His good performances caused Internactional (Brazilan team from Port Alegre) to buy him for a large amount of money. He has done well there (there are some more Argentines there in Pt. Alegre like Abbondanzieri and Guinazu as well as Gonzalo Sorondo of Uruguay (ex Inter Milan and Standard of Liege). The other team from this city is Gremio by the way, they are big rivals.

Inter's Mohammed Kerlon!
If you means Kallon, if I'm not wrong he's still playing (maybe in Africa?) and he created a football team called FC Kallon in Sierra Leone
If you means Kerlon, maybe he's in some disco in Amsterdam smoking and bombing girls :D

Back
Top Bottom