Whatever happened to..... [Name Player X ... ]

Whatever happened to ex-Irish international M.Holland?

I can still see his sweet strike against camaroon in the 2002 WC in my mind.
YouTube - Ireland Cameroon World Cup Cup 2002

I root badly for Ireland in tha Wc, their fans were great, too bad henry's hand took them out of ths one.

That 2002 wc was problaby the best times of my life! no work or study to bother, just pure football, i remember me and my friends up all night swicthing betwee WE6FE and wacthing the WC games... oh the memories!

Last edited:
Matt Holland just got old. He was VERY good. In his prime, players like him and Robbie Savage were under-rated and very effective.

I remember Holland at Charlton specifically being captain and wonderful and I think before that with Ipswich, not entirely sure...

@Kezman, :LOL: thanks for update. Let us know what happens next....

@Stevio, is that the tall Atletico forward with curly hair? Cuz I just knew him as Kiko so I don't remember if it was Fransico... anyway that guy was good and GREAT in the air! I was really young but I think during that time, him and Zamarona were kings of headers!

I think he ended up playing for FREE for Atletico one year when they were relegated or something...

No I was saying, he was at Ipswich before coming to Charlton and becoming a fan favourite there as well. I don't know what happened afterward... I think he just got old (into 30's...) and when Charlton went down and not one but two divisions... I lost track...

Sweet striker that indeed by the way! Love goals like that! Daisy-cutters, they call 'em?

PLF

Yeah, Kiko.

I think, it was Francisco Javier Kiko... someone could correct me.

He was indeed great in the air (Zamorano is still the best headerer of the ball I've ever seen) and was a good player.
It's one of those good players, but random names that you don't hear about any more.

Like Sergi, Tibor Selymes or Ciriaco Sforza.

Oh yeah SErgi on left of defence! Was great!

Sforza! The Swiss! Damn! Probably 1st Swiss player I knew actually no that was Stephane Chapuisat in Dortmund! What a striker he was at one point!

i've read "Q" by the Luther Blisset Project Stef. It's a very good book.

O.T.I've read that too and hereby suggest Altai (don't know which is the name in Belgium, here's Altai) by Wu Ming Collective, which is in someway a follow-up of the events of Q from the same authors (with a different name).

About the player, my father used to say that he was "faster than the ball itself, so he never touched it"

Yeah Turkyilmaz, know him from Euro 96 in england. Decent striker I think, but never been better than average.

Some guys for your own researches ;)
Carsten Jancker, Francis Jeffers, Nesat Gülünoglu, Osmar Fereyra

About turkish, I remember Ilhan Mansiz, who was a hero in a Confederation Cup some years ago. What happened to him? I believe he retired

yes, retired. he played a great WC, became turkish champions with Besiktas and the year after that he went to vissel kobe in japan but was seriously injured. after short stays for a few clubs (ankaragücü, hertha berlin) he retired.

Sebastian Deisler

Injuries and depression made him retire at only 27 years old.

deisler_ima_010805.jpg

Whatever happened to ex-Irish international M.Holland?

I can still see his sweet strike against camaroon in the 2002 WC in my mind.
YouTube - Ireland Cameroon World Cup Cup 2002

I root badly for Ireland in tha Wc, their fans were great, too bad henry's hand took them out of ths one.

That 2002 wc was problaby the best times of my life! no work or study to bother, just pure football, i remember me and my friends up all night swicthing betwee WE6FE and wacthing the WC games... oh the memories!

Matty Holland is doing just fine as a TV and radio pundit. Brings some useful insight to the game. He has his coaching badges and may turn his hand to management at some stage.

anyone remember collins john, he had 2 caps for holland and now plays for a mid table team in azerbaijan..

Kezman, ahh so sad, had the one terrible season at Chelsea and has never really got his career back on track since...

Was the next big thing at PSV!

Vila is going to be like Grimi and Mattioni except Milan paid 4.5 mill for him.

What ever happened to Ricardo Oliviera? :D I remember Milan buying him for 17 mill to replace Shevchenko.

Yeah he's in Malaga now and has had some good performances this season.

Collins John, the black Dutch striker at Fulham a few years ago... yeah I remember him. Thought he was over-rated but of course when you're young, everybody gives you a chance if you got the size and hopes you become something... he didn't.

Do you remember Dario Silva, Uruguay ..
After an accident in 2006, his leg was cut ..

tragic end ..

but he has intention to enter to OG 2012 in an other sport ..

Back
Top Bottom