[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I'd like to see ore real ad boards adding in future along with the video ad boards. Kinda crappy seeing easports and FIFA ads everywhere.

@All -

I'm still on the fence on whether or not to take the wrapping off of FIFA 14 (PS4). LOL! I'm wondering if any fellow PS4 brethren purchased PES 2014 on ps3 before jumping on board to PS4...How does the gameplay compare (obviously, the ps4 should get the nod on graphics I assume) between the two and which of them is more 'sim' and less 'scripted'...I'm on the fence whether or not to get a ps3 (great deals at the moment) for pes 2014 (and apf 2k8 - need my football fix as well beyond madden 25)...OR should I just wait till next gen pes 2014 for my soccer fix.

I thoroughly enjoyed the PS3 demo for PES 2014, but of course, with the next gen release of FIFA 14, I'm pondering on whether to take the leap of faith to FIFA 14 for now or give PES 2014 a go...Like I said, I was impressed with PES 2014 demo on PS3, but with all the mixed opinions throughout this thread I'm starting to second guess....

Thoughts? Cheers fellas!

@All -

I'm still on the fence on whether or not to take the wrapping off of FIFA 14 (PS4). LOL! I'm wondering if any fellow PS4 brethren purchased PES 2014 on ps3 before jumping on board to PS4...How does the gameplay compare (obviously, the ps4 should get the nod on graphics I assume) between the two and which of them is more 'sim' and less 'scripted'...I'm on the fence whether or not to get a ps3 (great deals at the moment) for pes 2014 (and apf 2k8 - need my football fix as well beyond madden 25)...OR should I just wait till next gen pes 2014 for my soccer fix.

I thoroughly enjoyed the PS3 demo for PES 2014, but of course, with the next gen release of FIFA 14, I'm pondering on whether to take the leap of faith to FIFA 14 for now or give PES 2014 a go...Like I said, I was impressed with PES 2014 demo on PS3, but with all the mixed opinions throughout this thread I'm starting to second guess....

Thoughts? Cheers fellas!

Well, personally, I gave PES 14 away to a forum member on here last week for free.
Last Friday, I stood in line for 2 ½ hours hoping for a PS4 and actually getting one along with FIFA 14, and I'm having enormous amounts of fun with it (and I'm really, reeeaaaally a PES guy normally).

So the choice is easy, at least according to me. PES is a no-no this year, next-gen FIFA is brilliant.

@All -

Thoughts? Cheers fellas!

Honestly, I thought this might be the year that I switched back to PES. Ultimately though I found it a disappointment - again - even though aspects of it are brilliant.

Next gen FIFA 14, however, imo has made PES completely irrelevant. Aside from team management and tactical features, I'm not sure there's anything PES does better anymore.

If you have access to next gen, I don't know why you'd bother with PES, unless it's out of nostalgia or you're just that attached to the franchise. But everyone has different preferences and opinions, so if I were you I'd try to demo next gen 14 before making the investment.

Blimey. Since Friday I've been playing on the TV broadcast camera as it looks absolutely brilliant, but I've been getting my arse handed to me, to the point where after about half a dozen games I'm not sure I'd had a shot at goal. Tonight I switched to the default camera and suddenly I'm shielding the ball, dribbling, passing, shooting, defending miles better, a whole different ball game.

Switching it back to TV Broadcast instantly saw me revert to missing tackles, running into opponents and pretty much only passing the ball square all the time. The camera angle must be messing with my depth perception or something. I'm about 500% better at the game in any other camera. Shame as the game on broadcast looks absolutely lifelike.

Bah, forget what I said about turning a corner with this game, at least when it comes to defending. Without slider adjustments, which I haven't been playing with at the moment, it's near impossible to keep clean sheets on WC.

Problem I'm having is that using contain to defend in the final third gives the CPU way too much space. On the other hand, trying to stay with a CPU dribbler without using contain is like playing Russian roulette. In fact, defending in general feels like Russian roulette.

Not being able to keep clean sheets has cost me my second next gen CM career. Playing as Chelsea, I was scoring just about as you'd expect, but my defense leaked goals with regularity. At least in this CM I made it past Christmas.

I honestly don't know how it's even possible to be solid defensively on anything above Pro difficulty, and right now the CPU attack feels OP to me just like current gen did before they patched it.

I'd like to see ore real ad boards adding in future along with the video ad boards. Kinda crappy seeing easports and FIFA ads everywhere.

Agreed - but it won't ever happen. EA always plaster their name everywhere in their games just in case we forget who made the game.

Thank the good Lawd for PC mods. :)

Honestly, I thought this might be the year that I switched back to PES. Ultimately though I found it a disappointment - again - even though aspects of it are brilliant.

Next gen FIFA 14, however, imo has made PES completely irrelevant. Aside from team management and tactical features, I'm not sure there's anything PES does better anymore.

If you have access to next gen, I don't know why you'd bother with PES, unless it's out of nostalgia or you're just that attached to the franchise. But everyone has different preferences and opinions, so if I were you I'd try to demo next gen 14 before making the investment.

Thanks for the feedback! :))

I'm really close to unwrapping my FIFA 14 ps4 copy....I do think that I need to move on to the next gen platform, just thought maybe I could stay for just one more year with PES 2014...Really did enjoy the demo immensely. BUT I suppose, since I have made this investment on a next gen platform, I might as well move on now. LOL!

Off topic - NBA 2k14 on the PS4, I don't even have words how amazing it is, gameplay wise (feature-wise, that's another story)....BUT IF we can only get a futbol game from PES or FIFA that can simulate the sport just as good as NBA 2k14 does for bball (or what MLB the Show does for baseball), then we will be in gaming nirvana! :BOP:

Really looking forward to what FIFA and PES bring to the table next year. BUT looks like I will be tryin' out FIFA 14 on Next Gen very shortly (once I unwrap it). LOL!

Appreciate your help dude.

Bah, forget what I said about turning a corner with this game, at least when it comes to defending. Without slider adjustments, which I haven't been playing with at the moment, it's near impossible to keep clean sheets on WC.

Problem I'm having is that using contain to defend in the final third gives the CPU way too much space. On the other hand, trying to stay with a CPU dribbler without using contain is like playing Russian roulette. In fact, defending in general feels like Russian roulette.

Not being able to keep clean sheets has cost me my second next gen CM career. Playing as Chelsea, I was scoring just about as you'd expect, but my defense leaked goals with regularity. At least in this CM I made it past Christmas.

I honestly don't know how it's even possible to be solid defensively on anything above Pro difficulty, and right now the CPU attack feels OP to me just like current gen did before they patched it.

Is there any way of changing tactics to press more in your defensive third? I've been having a little success with constantly using R1 to make your players around you preset he ball carrier around my box, with the space running out for the COM it struggles to not get swamped out hole I use the guy in my control, usually a manually chosen CB, to watch for runners and position for crosses etc.

Incidentally, what speed is everyone playing on? I had been using slow but gave normal a try and I might prefer it, it must be a placebo effect but on normal, players kinda feel more individual, their touches of the ball feel more pronounced. Playing as Liverpool, I was using Coutinho to dribble easily whereas Joe Allen had much larger touches of the ball, and turning in tight spots was much harder. Put it down on slow and it feels like it levels everyone out slightly. I must be imagining it but that's how it feels when playing.

Is there any way of changing tactics to press more in your defensive third? I've been having a little success with constantly using R1 to make your players around you preset he ball carrier around my box, with the space running out for the COM it struggles to not get swamped out hole I use the guy in my control, usually a manually chosen CB, to watch for runners and position for crosses etc.

Well if you use the default high pressure (or whatever it's called) tactics setting, I think it not only includes pressing higher up the pitch but higher aggression, which should lead to closer marking, but I haven't found it to be the answer.

Then there's the quick tactic of high pressure (it's one of the options that also includes swap wingers, cb join attack, etc.), but I don't know what the difference is between this and the high pressure custom tactic. Obviously this is an area that needs work.

But my problem isn't pressing more in the final third, it's simply that the defensive mechanics are overpowered by the CPU's ability to retain possession. I had this issue pre-patch current gen, then everything was fine, if not a little too easy, after they patched it.

Incidentally, what speed is everyone playing on? I had been using slow but gave normal a try and I might prefer it, it must be a placebo effect but on normal, players kinda feel more individual, their touches of the ball feel more pronounced. Playing as Liverpool, I was using Coutinho to dribble easily whereas Joe Allen had much larger touches of the ball, and turning in tight spots was much harder. Put it down on slow and it feels like it levels everyone out slightly. I must be imagining it but that's how it feels when playing.

I'm the same. I've played on Normal, Slow, and Normal and Slow with reduced accel/sprint sliders, and I keep coming back to Normal gamespeed.

But I can only do that with assisted/semi settings. If I play manual, which I don't much anymore, then I have to slow it down.

There are times when movement feels too quick on Normal, but overall I keep coming back to it as my preferred speed. I might eventually settle on Normal but with a point or two taken off the Accel and Sprint sliders. WE'll see.

Any patch for next-gen announced?

Wondering if this is the right time to start a CM mode or if I should wait...

This game is bloody hard on world class! I can't win, always one stupid mistake I make in the game, shape is everything

There are lots of gameplay vids all over youtube at the moment. This one, for instance;

YouTube - FIFA 14 (PS4): Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal

But I'd love to see a video of that new broadcast cam in action! ;)

Even though the PS4 records the game I can only upload it to Facebook at the moment which I'm not using, but I'll see if I can record a few minutes on my iPad tonight using Broadcast.

You'll get to see how shite I am using that camera, looking back at a recording, I look on in amazement at how many times I just passed the ball to an opponent under no pressure! Oh well....

By the way the camera is basically the same as broadcast in old gen games, there's just the option to zoom in more but it does auto zoom and pan like a real camera. I think it's pretty cool but not many seem to use it.

Last edited:
I had one of those nights last night when nothing goes for you.

2 games running a bullshit handball call due to miscontrol led to a penalty, that both cost me points in my career mode.

Still loving the game though

Last edited:
My custom camera settings (zoom, height) are not working. I cant zoom in on the default camera for example. Anyone know a fix for this?

Even though the PS4 records the game I can only upload it to Facebook at the moment which I'm not using, but I'll see if I can record a few minutes on my iPad tonight using Broadcast.

You'll get to see how shite I am using that camera, looking back at a recording, I look on in amazement at how many times I just passed the ball to an opponent under no pressure! Oh well....

By the way the camera is basically the same as broadcast in old gen games, there's just the option to zoom in more but it does auto zoom and pan like a real camera. I think it's pretty cool but not many seem to use it.

Sounds familiar. I've always been trying to replicate TV broadcasts when playing against the CPU in football games myself, but it is really hard when you don't get the angles right and having to compensate on the controller as well. But yeah, would love to see a video, regardless of how you play. :)

Why not just create a temp FB account to upload footage to? Make the account private, no friends, make the uploads private, it'll just act like a "cloud" to store your Fifa videos :)

Now that im getting used to this new default camera im really enjoying it, the fact u can see the crowd the hole match really adds to the atmosphere of the match, makes it feel a lor more next gen than when playing in the old tele broadcast cam.

My custom camera settings (zoom, height) are not working. I cant zoom in on the default camera for example. Anyone know a fix for this?

For some reason each stadium allows for only specific amounts of camera zoom and height. Why, I don't know. White Hart Lane for example allows loads of angles where you can see the crowd, but choose Tele cam and it doesn't allow any editing at all. Strange.

Why not just create a temp FB account to upload footage to? Make the account private, no friends, make the uploads private, it'll just act like a "cloud" to store your Fifa videos :)

I've thought about that and might do it. Sony have apparently said YouTube integration will be patched in at some point though, which is good news.

Well, personally, I gave PES 14 away to a forum member on here last week for free.
Last Friday, I stood in line for 2 ½ hours hoping for a PS4 and actually getting one along with FIFA 14, and I'm having enormous amounts of fun with it (and I'm really, reeeaaaally a PES guy normally).

So the choice is easy, at least according to me. PES is a no-no this year, next-gen FIFA is brilliant.

Awesome to hear my friend. I'm that much closer now to making the jump. :BOP: Would really like to see gameplay on broadcast cam.

Ooops, sorry, think I've walked through the wrong door. I'll shut it on my way out .........

Edit -

Nice tiktaka goal i scored yesterday online at the 90th minute, literally jumped off the seat!
YouTube - Falcao goal TikTaka

Actually, I really love the movement off the ball of all the players in this video. And the goalkeepers positioning. Great goal. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom