[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I'm shockingly bad at this game, if you saw a video of a match you'd think I was drunk or something. I suppose playing on TV Broadcast camera doesn't help but it's quite hilarious how poor I am. When the COM has the ball on the wing my full back pretty much runs past the winger rather than challenging him, and any forward moves seem to see the COM just run up and take the ball with ease. Yup, I've been playing on World Class as I used to play FIFA on that up to FIFA11, but it's obviously very different these days.

I think I need to start again. Are there any decent guides to the game online? Can't see to find any. I'm loving the game experience on next gen but it would be even better if I could have more than one shot at goal and not lose every game :LOL:

Same coming from pes 2014 I can't even win on professional lost 5 leagues games in a row yesterday. I give away way too many penalties and I'm awful at defending hopefully I will get better with practice.

Still loving this game though best fifa I've played by far. Player individuality is the best it's been and better then pes this year. I can feel the difference in small skill players, passers and strong players ect. Shooting is amazing so much variation. Goalkeepers are great, in past games I thought they were superhuman now they are much more realistic.

There is so much to like about the game I can't see it going stale on me like pes 2014 did.

@mfmaxpower nice tips I'll try to take some on board on my next play thanks.

Last edited:
Next gen is a lot harder than current gen. I wasn't struggling much with Legendary on current gen but I've struggled with WC on next gen.

I think I've just passed a corner though and the game has been a lot easier the last couple of days. Here are a couple tips regarding what it sounds like you're having trouble with:

* on WC and Legendary, you HAVE to use the contain and teammate contain buttons. On Pro difficulty, and on current gen, I found you don't really need them much but if you're going to hang with the CPU on next gen, rely on contain, rarely use the tackle buttons, and only sprint when you're tracking an attacker from behind. Be super cautious on defense or else you'll get smoked.

* if in attack you're being easily dispossessed, you're probably a) not being patient and cautious enough with your passes; and b) probably not using L2 protect the ball enough. Like defending, be super patient and rarely sprint.

Honestly, I find the biggest thing to master with this game is being patient and cautious; the CPU is extremely punishing if you play overly aggressive.

I also suggest utilizing the quick tactics and attack/defense mentalities during a match, a lot. In the past I found them pretty useless but with next gen I'm actually finding them to be helpful.

For example, I start almost every big match or away match with a defensive mentality and counter-attack tactics. Depending upon how the CPU plays, I switch it up later. I also have found for the first time that the team pressing tactic can be really helpful in short spurts or when you really want to punish teams lower ranked than you.

Seriously though, the most important keys to this game I think are being cautious in defense and patient in attack.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this out, particularly the defensive stuff.

On a different note, the attention to detail is astonishing at times. Does the game add new commentary from what's happened in real life and download it or something? I just had Martin Tyler saying how many goals Rooney has scored his season and how Man Utd are mid table in the Premier League without Sir Alex, in just an exhibition match. I also noticed how the game cut to Mata sitting on the subs bench with Tyler saying he might be introduced soon into the game.

Amazing. But my favourite aspect is that players no longer feel like they can turn so sharply anymore, the new engine has really added momentum and a sense of weight to everything.

Really enjoying this on PS4 my only gripe is with all the big fan fare the still can't have players faces for all. I mean to most it just sounds petty but these things matter to me. I just need a bit of dirt for the kits and i'm well chuffed.

But my favourite aspect is that players no longer feel like they can turn so sharply anymore, the new engine has really added momentum and a sense of weight to everything.

Does this apply to cpu players, or only human controlled players?

And is every cpu player still scripted to dodge perfectly out of the way of every slide tackle?

And how are cpu defenders and first touch? All still Messi-like? So if you play a long ball from deep over the top, whilst chasing back towards their goal, they always bring it down perfectly and turn 180, all in an instant and never, ever miscontrol it?

True dat placebo. But at least get Berba, valencia, Cleverley and EPL players sorted. :))

Pfft be grateful you support a team that has so many starheads and the stadium etc. Plenty of us support teams lucky to get one or two players named by the commentary, certainly not going to feel sorry for someone because a couple of reserves don't have their proper faces :)

How to you bid fora player once you have made an enquiry? Can't seem to do it?

Did you disable the first transfer window?

Placebo i don't want you to feel sorry for me for anything pal, and you support Wednesday and i'm sure you would like to see correct faces, but whatever floats your boat. I am paying good money for my football experience and with all the EA blah blah i want the fooking faces to be correct. You got it? And a bit of mud on their kits the IMPORTANT things in a football game.:P

What about the AI - is there a noticeable jump in that department?

I haven't played the game yet, but it looks nice enough from the videos I've seen; nothing mind blowing although the crowd is ten times better. And it's very disappointing that even with NG, EA still have these stupid two man celebrations instead of the whole team getting involved.

What about injuries - any sign of a stretcher taking off badly hurt players? Any goalkeeper injuries, or can they still take a boot to the head without even blinking?

EA stated in their pre release marketing that the stadiums would look and sound alive - your thoughts? Do the fans sound more into it now: do they let out an excited roar when the star winger breaks away down the line or when there's a corner in the 90th minute? Any differences in their reaction to a league winning 90th minute goal compared to the odd goal in a 7-1 thrashing? Do they howl for justice when a player is bought down in the box; do they howl with derision if an opposition striker skies a sitter? So much was missing from CG and EA's excuse was the hardware limitations (even though everything I've listed was easily possible with the CG machines and PC). So now they've got this brand new hardware to play with, have they improved that area at all?

Last edited:
True dat placebo. But at least get Berba, valencia, Cleverley and EPL players sorted. :))

Hm? Berbatov has a face.

Anyway, getting a lot of joy out of this game on World Class, manual controls and a few of the sliders adjusted. A lot of draws. :P It could obviously be improved upon, but just feels right. Reminds me a bit of the older PES games in that regard. Anyone else noticing frame rate drops (during goal kicks in particular) on the PS4? Sometimes they last for a good 30 seconds or so.

What about the AI - is there a noticeable jump in that department?

I haven't played the game yet, but it looks nice enough from the videos I've seen; nothing mind blowing although the crowd is ten times better. And it's very disappointing that even with NG, EA still have these stupid two man celebrations instead of the whole team getting involved.

What about injuries - any sign of a stretcher taking off badly hurt players? Any goalkeeper injuries, or can they still take a boot to the head without even blinking?

EA stated in their pre release marketing that the stadiums would look and sound alive - your thoughts? Do the fans sound more into it now: do they let out an excited roar when the star winger breaks away down the line or when there's a corner in the 90th minute? Any differences in their reaction to a league winning 90th minute goal compared to the odd goal in a 7-1 thrashing? Do they howl for justice when a player is bought down in the box; do they howl with derision if an opposition striker skies a sitter? So much was missing from CG and EA's excuse was the hardware limitations (even though everything I've listed was easily possible with the CG machines and PC). So now they've got this brand new hardware to play with, have they improved that area at all?

The AI is certainly better. It's one of the first things an experienced FIFA player would notice, and I think the main reason why this game is more difficult than current gen. That said, it still needs to be better.

Injuries seem slightly more frequent. They're still really inconsistent though. Also something that needs to be better.

The audio for me is the biggest improvement regarding atmosphere. The stadium and crowds are nice, but after the first few times seeing them there addition becomes forgettable, while it's the audio that you really notice during a match. With a good sound setup, it sounds pretty awesome imo.

And yes, everything you've mentioned was possible on CG machines in isolation but as has been said over and over, in its entirety the code was already taxing the old consoles and to add things like you're mentioning would've meant more important stuff would've needed to be cut out.

For example, one of the devs recently talked about for several years now having loads of mo-capped animations at their disposal but just didn't have the room to include them on cg consoles. These are animations that aren't even in the next gen version because they just ran out of time getting everything in.

Play next gen FIFA and it's apparent how limiting the old tech was.

Does a crowd at a Spanish match now sound like that, like when a goal is scored, it isn't the British "yeah!" cheer, instead they roar "goal!"?

Sorry but I haven't played enough La Liga matches to be able to tell you one way or the other. I've played EPL and Bundesliga matches almost exclusively.

To be honest, you'd have to show me some vids of what you're talking about 'cause I don't know that I've noticed a great variety in how different leagues celebrate a goal. Just sounds like a bunch of people cheering to me.

The AI is certainly better. It's one of the first things an experienced FIFA player would notice, and I think the main reason why this game is more difficult than current gen. That said, it still needs to be better.

Injuries seem slightly more frequent. They're still really inconsistent though. Also something that needs to be better.

The audio for me is the biggest improvement regarding atmosphere. The stadium and crowds are nice, but after the first few times seeing them there addition becomes forgettable, while it's the audio that you really notice during a match. With a good sound setup, it sounds pretty awesome imo.

And yes, everything you've mentioned was possible on CG machines in isolation but as has been said over and over, in its entirety the code was already taxing the old consoles and to add things like you're mentioning would've meant more important stuff would've needed to be cut out.

For example, one of the devs recently talked about for several years now having loads of mo-capped animations at their disposal but just didn't have the room to include them on cg consoles. These are animations that aren't even in the next gen version because they just ran out of time getting everything in.

Play next gen FIFA and it's apparent how limiting the old tech was.

Hopefully I'll be able to do that sooner rather than later: there was a PC Gamer article that said EA were holding back the Ignite tech for one year, so here's hoping for Fifa 15. I'm not going to get a console.

Fifa 14 CG is still a great game though and I'm loving playing with the Pro Cam mode. Incidentally, and to put it back on topic, and improvements to Be a Pro in Fifa 14 NG, and the Pro Cam itself?

To be honest, you'd have to show me some vids of what you're talking about 'cause I don't know that I've noticed a great variety in how different leagues celebrate a goal. Just sounds like a bunch of people cheering to me.

No, no, no my friend; there is a lot of difference between the Premiership 'YYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH' and the La Liga 'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL'. ;)

Last edited:
No, no, no my friend; there is a lot of difference between the Premiership 'YYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH' and the La Liga 'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL'. ;)

Well I didn't say they weren't different, just that I don't notice it, which is why I'd like to see someone post examples.

For example I was just watching a replay of the Man Utd-Spurs match and all I heard was a bunch of happy sounding noise after goals. And when I've been to matches, I hear people celebrate with different sounds; I don't think I've ever heard a match in which the crowd shouts one thing or the other in unison.

Like I said, it's quite possible I just don't notice it. I'm kinda indifferent to that level of atmospheric detail in FIFA, so maybe someone else can tell you whether it's in the game or not.

We're paying the same amount of money and you get far more "reward" for your money based on the licensing of the team you support ;)
BOLLOCKS! I want faces, like Steve Martin said in Trains planes and Automobiles..I want real f--king faces, with real f--king stadiums, and real f--king dirt on the f--king real kits. I want real f--king pitch wear and tear on the real f--king pitch. And i want it f--king right f--king now! :RANT:

Well I didn't say they weren't different, just that I don't notice it, which is why I'd like to see someone post examples.

For example I was just watching a replay of the Man Utd-Spurs match and all I heard was a bunch of happy sounding noise after goals. And when I've been to matches, I hear people celebrate with different sounds; I don't think I've ever heard a match in which the crowd shouts one thing or the other in unison.

Like I said, it's quite possible I just don't notice it. I'm kinda indifferent to that level of atmospheric detail in FIFA, so maybe someone else can tell you whether it's in the game or not.

Fair enough. Some people don't really notice such things and some don't really care; I know a few of both. :)

You're right when it comes to actually being in the crowd - it just sounds like a very loud noise. It's different when watching the matches on TV.

I really do hope EA pull out the ignite engine for pc next year. I am enjoying FIFA 14 on CG though, and from what I am hearing here, the ignite engine is doing wonders. So I really want that, with all the modable aspects of playing on pc.

Does this apply to cpu players, or only human controlled players?

And is every cpu player still scripted to dodge perfectly out of the way of every slide tackle?

And how are cpu defenders and first touch? All still Messi-like? So if you play a long ball from deep over the top, whilst chasing back towards their goal, they always bring it down perfectly and turn 180, all in an instant and never, ever miscontrol it?

It's hard to tell, players dodge a lot of my tackles on WC but then I'm rubbish at the game. Playing contain works much better, I'm pressing with a second defender and manually choosing players to track off the ball runs and the COM keeps the ball nicely and makes realistic runs. Using R1 to bring a midfielder to the ball carrier while selecting a full back to move out and cover an overlapping run is a joy.

There is miscontrol but again it can be a bit random. Control is more noticeable, maybe still too instant but player turns are really drastically reduced in their effectiveness. I think there's a lot more weight to the players, so it encourages you to slow things down, including player movement, as you can't recover and change direction so fast anymore.

Right I've had a couple of exhibition games, then done a career with Lazio until xmas which I'm addicted to.

Firstly it took time getting used to the controls, coming from the 360 version, but am ok now.

The ai seems miles better, a lot smarter defensively in terms of covering and decision making.

It feels like it is FIFA 15, the amount of changes gameplaywise add so much. It all feels more organic, and "looser" and you can score some absolute peaches, that give you the satisfaction goals in PES did 10 years ago.

I love it and I expect the World Cup game will be phenomenal never mind next years FIFA.

Same coming from pes 2014 I can't even win on professional lost 5 leagues games in a row yesterday. I give away way too many penalties and I'm awful at defending hopefully I will get better with practice.

Still loving this game though best fifa I've played by far. Player individuality is the best it's been and better then pes this year. I can feel the difference in small skill players, passers and strong players ect. Shooting is amazing so much variation. Goalkeepers are great, in past games I thought they were superhuman now they are much more realistic.

There is so much to like about the game I can't see it going stale on me like pes 2014 did.

@mfmaxpower nice tips I'll try to take some on board on my next play thanks.

Haha I hear ya, I'm still awful at it but at least I'm gradually not trying to use PES controls any more! I might have to abandon the TV broadcast camera though, it looks amazing but is so hard to play with. I might also drop in down a level too. I think I'm actually being too ponderous on the ball, I need to start zipping the ball around more.

As for player individuality, I think it's on a par with PES. I managed to wriggle past a couple of players yesterday with Chelsea's Hazard by just using the L stick (I'm learning you have to move it subtly as the further you push it, the faster your player moves) but later on I tried the same with Cahill and he was instantly tackled. I could do the same movements but he showed too much of the ball and was tackled. I think he took less tiny touches while dribbling and that is clearly stat-based. It really makes you aware of who is on the ball (apart from it being so HD I can see player faces on the other side of the pitch!).

Loving it so far. One day I might even win a game or score a goal from open play!

Last edited:
Will there be a standalone World Cup game? Or will it be DLC like last year?

I believe it's unconfirmed, a few sites suddenly raised the question in a poll whether we want standalone or DLC so no idea if EA asked them to do it, personally I wouldn't buy standalone but would buy DLC.

I believe it's unconfirmed, a few sites suddenly raised the question in a poll whether we want standalone or DLC so no idea if EA asked them to do it, personally I wouldn't buy standalone but would buy DLC.

I'd buy it if it was fully licenced, and not the pathetic effort the last Euros was. And if it was reasonably priced; all we get is some new teams and some new stadiums that aren't even available in the main Fifa game.

About the new game's AI, would you say it's more of a leap than PS2 to PS3 was?

The game is f'n awesome I just wish I had more time to play! lol

Any patch for PS4 announced?

Back
Top Bottom