[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I had one of those nights last night when nothing goes for you.

2 games running a bullshit handball call due to miscontrol led to a penalty, that both cost me points in my career mode.

Still loving the game though

Trust me, don't play with handballs on, especially for penalties. For every one handball penalty that's fair you'll get three that aren't. It's unrealistic and terribly frustrating.

Until they can program intent into the calls and program players to be more mindful of their arm position when defending, it's just going to frustrate more than anything else. But maybe it's something they can do with nexg gen.

This game is bloody hard on world class! I can't win, always one stupid mistake I make in the game, shape is everything

It's humbling for sure. And frustrating because you basically have to play perfect in defense for an entire match to keep a clean sheet.

It's hard to imagine ever playing this on Legendary, at least without major slider adjustments.

I just heard that the following bugs, which have been in all FIFA's for the past 3+ years, are STILL in the next gen version. Can anyone confirm?

1) Camera settings don't save online.

2) When you pause in an online game (mainly clubs), the menu's are really laggy so it makes it difficult to change the camera (which you have to do because of point 1).

If true, has anyone ever asked EA why the hell these things haven't been fixed?

There are lots of gameplay vids all over youtube at the moment. This one, for instance;

YouTube - FIFA 14 (PS4): Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal

But I'd love to see a video of that new broadcast cam in action! ;)

Here you go, I haven't sorted out anywhere to upoad PS4 video but I did record it on my phone (I set it up and went and did something else for a few minutes!). This is the TV Broadcast camera you were asking about.

Yes, I'm awful at the game :) Thought I'd get that in there straight away. This is on semi everything with manual through pass, and World Class difficulty. I'm 'playing' as Liverpool. Sorry about the quality, it really doesn't do the 1080p any justice at all. In full HD you can even see individual blades of grass.

YouTube - FIFA14 PS4

Several things I like in the game you can see in this video, though:

- player physics. Coutinho falls over early on after staggering and being off-balance.
- Great long range goal from the COM
- Really nice passing from the COM, including back-passes to deeper team mates, a pass back to the keeper, and well constructed passing moves.
- The ref brings back Coutinho for a yellow card after playing the advantage.
- Realistic goalkeeping
- People like Joe Allen clearly take heavier touches and can't turn as quickly as more dedicated dribblers.
- nice goal replays later on in the game
- a tiny but nice touch, I dreadfully overhit a manual pass down the wing and off for a goal kick, Coutinho, who was expecting the pass, stops moving, looks at the guy who passed it, then puts out his hand as if to say 'never mind'. Looked so realistic.

I think the game's new engine has really made a difference. I'm playing on Normal speed, something I would never have done last time I had a FIFA game, simply because players could turn and change direction far too quickly. Here, while it doesn't seem as pronounced as EA were claiming in their videos (I remember them showing Xavi I think turning on the wing, but taking loads of steps to steady himself - haven't really seen that so far), player movement is much, much toned down.

Last edited:
Wow! Very nice, thanks a lot for posting! :) Is there any way to get the camera a bit higher, or can you just zoom further in? I really like the camera used on the first replay for WBA's 2-0 goal, that's almost perfection. ;)

I'm getting myself a PS4 as fast as I can, no doubt. ;)

watched many videos of NG fifa...celebrations are still weird like CG and not in NG quality...am i right ?

For the first time since the advantage rule was incorporated into Fifa, I had the play brought back from around 5 minutes game time after bringing down an opponent. Referee saunters over so I guessed a yellow was coming out.

Red. Gone.

Like I say, first time I've ever received a red for a challenge that the referee initially played the advantage for.

For the first time since the advantage rule was incorporated into Fifa, I had the play brought back from around 5 minutes game time after bringing down an opponent. Referee saunters over so I guessed a yellow was coming out.

Red. Gone.

Like I say, first time I've ever received a red for a challenge that the referee initially played the advantage for.

That's quality.

I'm loving this game. I have intentions to play a bit of NFS, or AC4 every night, and I just don't. It's FIFA every night.

Struggling with the Xbox one controller on this game, it's the stiffness of LB/RB which is spoiling my dribbling style, thinking of getting the ps4 version.

I did manage a win in career mode though, hallelujah

Struggling with the Xbox one controller on this game, it's the stiffness of LB/RB which is spoiling my dribbling style, thinking of getting the ps4 version.

I did manage a win in career mode though, hallelujah

U dont need to use the LB or RB to make skill moves in FIFA14... just use the Right analog alone...

But yeh, it took me a while to get used to those bumpers too... im sorted now though.

Wow! Very nice, thanks a lot for posting! :) Is there any way to get the camera a bit higher, or can you just zoom further in? I really like the camera used on the first replay for WBA's 2-0 goal, that's almost perfection. ;)

I'm getting myself a PS4 as fast as I can, no doubt. ;)

That's about as high as they let you alter that camera I'm afraid, the camera options are strange on NG. I think it looks great but it's tough to play using this!

U dont need to use the LB or RB to make skill moves in FIFA14... just use the Right analog alone...

But yeh, it took me a while to get used to those bumpers too... im sorted now though.

I know dude, I use RB to sprint and LB for sharp turns so for me there a bit stiff.

I know what you mean. That's the main reason I bought a PS4 instead of XOne even though I was previously a x360 user.

I preferred x360 controller to PS3 one but now in next-gen consoles, its the other way around for me.

I know what you mean. That's the main reason I bought a PS4 instead of XOne even though I was previously a x360 user.

I preferred x360 controller to PS3 one but now in next-gen consoles, its the other way around for me.

Same.

Different playing styles finally, or does everyone still play like Barcelona?

It can always be better but playing in the EPL the different tactics are apparent.

Lower league teams certainly employ the long ball tactic, while top of the table teams are good at keeping possession in the final third. Every time I've played Swansea they dominate possession, while the reverse is true playing against Stoke.

Again, it can def be better but differences are there. I'm also finding myself varying my own in-game tactics more than ever before.

Player individuality comes through more than distinct team styles though. For example, I just played against Aston Villa, and it was clear that there defense wasn't solid and that their strategy was to get the ball as quick as possible to their forward line, but what really shone was that Benteke is an absolute beast and motherf'n bitch to play against.

World Class is a bitch haha, I know I said earlier in the thread its very similar to current gen but its not, I am getting spanked trying to play it the same way, the AI is much more aware of me making quick turns and I cant just cut inside by wrong footing them now.

Seems to be more effective using quick passing, not finding the traditional number 10 role very effective yet either.

World Class is a bitch haha, I know I said earlier in the thread its very similar to current gen but its not, I am getting spanked trying to play it the same way, the AI is much more aware of me making quick turns and I cant just cut inside by wrong footing them now.

co-sign this... and i must apology for my first post saying the game as basically a port from current gen, the more i play the more the game feels far away from current gen.

Couple of days ago i turned the 360 on and played a match on it, gosh it felt different, and it was blandant the amount of animations the CG game skips/lacks in transitions.

Now my only 2 grips with the NG version are:

1-Lack of edit camera options, i need to have a tele broadcast camera that i can lock the zoom and height, i hate to not have the same camera angle in everystadium since i get used to one and struggle when i need to play in a different angle.

2-Lobbed through balls are as effective as ever! The game screams u to use it.

Last edited:

Seems to be more effective using quick passing, not finding the traditional number 10 role very effective yet either.

Next gen is a lot harder, isn't it? I think the difficulty levels might be a little off to be honest. There's a massive difficulty spike between Pro and World Class but not nearly the same jump going from WC to Legendary.

Im really enjoying this on PS4, im using the fifasoccerblog slider settings with career mode, the graphics are amazing, the only thing ive noticed is that on the replays the ball goes a bit blocky and flickers for some reason, anybody else had this?

Im really enjoying this on PS4, im using the fifasoccerblog slider settings with career mode, the graphics are amazing, the only thing ive noticed is that on the replays the ball goes a bit blocky and flickers for some reason, anybody else had this?

I think that's the motion blur. It's fairly subtle but makes the replays look great.

Without blowing my own trumpet I have been playing on world class and to be honest i haven't been finding the difficulty level that much of a leap. Maybe this is because i have been playing in lower leagues in my career mode though. I haven't dicked around with the sliders as the game plays fine for me on slow speed. However, there is a clear increase in the difficulty level according to which team you play. For example i am playing as Universidad de Chile and in the league i have been going well but I had a friendly against Benfica inbetween seasons and they basically introduced me to the pavement. I had to summon up all vestiges of concentration i had to stay in the game. This is how it should be and it is great that FIFA have been able to achive this.

I am loving the game thus far. My only gripes are so minor compared with my overall experience i kind of feel a bit trivial in raising them.

One thing that isn't exactly a problem but more of an obsevration is that i have not received (or given away) a single penalty in any game i have played (mid way into second season of career mode). I play with handballs off as as someone said above it is just too random. However, it does seem to me that the game is very hesitant to give penalties for fouls in the box. Apart from that i have no complaints at the moment.

World Class is way too hard, is the level down more enjoyable?

Only if you enjoy blowouts. On Pro I regularly win 4-, 5-0. That's why I said there's a crazy difficulty spike.

Without blowing my own trumpet I have been playing on world class and to be honest i haven't been finding the difficulty level that much of a leap. Maybe this is because i have been playing in lower leagues in my career mode though. I haven't dicked around with the sliders as the game plays fine for me on slow speed. However, there is a clear increase in the difficulty level according to which team you play. For example i am playing as Universidad de Chile and in the league i have been going well but I had a friendly against Benfica inbetween seasons and they basically introduced me to the pavement. I had to summon up all vestiges of concentration i had to stay in the game. This is how it should be and it is great that FIFA have been able to achive this.

I am loving the game thus far. My only gripes are so minor compared with my overall experience i kind of feel a bit trivial in raising them.

One thing that isn't exactly a problem but more of an obsevration is that i have not received (or given away) a single penalty in any game i have played (mid way into second season of career mode). I play with handballs off as as someone said above it is just too random. However, it does seem to me that the game is very hesitant to give penalties for fouls in the box. Apart from that i have no complaints at the moment.

Well, when you play on Slow you're essentially knocking the difficulty down a notch because you're increasing your window to make decisions and respond against the CPU.

Also, try playing against top teams and I think you'll find it quite a bit harder - the reaction times with players at top teams is much, much more difficult to deal with.

And if you want to see yourself giving away penalties, though not necessarily getting any yourself, play on Normal gamespeed against top teams. Pressing the tackle button inside the penalty box against one of the top teams, like Man Utd, is just asking for a penalty.

Playing against the CPU doesn't feel unfair, and it doesn't feel like the CPU cheats, at least as much, as it once was but it can still be a bitch.

Only if you enjoy blowouts. On Pro I regularly win 4-, 5-0. That's why I said there's a crazy difficulty spike.

Well, when you play on Slow you're essentially knocking the difficulty down a notch because you're increasing your window to make decisions and respond against the CPU.

Also, try playing against top teams and I think you'll find it quite a bit harder - the reaction times with players at top teams is much, much more difficult to deal with.

And if you want to see yourself giving away penalties, though not necessarily getting any yourself, play on Normal gamespeed against top teams. Pressing the tackle button inside the penalty box against one of the top teams, like Man Utd, is just asking for a penalty.

Playing against the CPU doesn't feel unfair, and it doesn't feel like the CPU cheats, at least as much, as it once was but it can still be a bitch.

Agreed. When you play against a better team with a lesser club and get your backside handed to you you do not feel that there is some dark conspiracy at work. During that game i was referring to above when i played against Benfica as Uni de Chile i almost got up and applauded some of their goals and the way that they intelligently opened up my defence to create chances.

Re game speed. Yeah i can see how that might affect things like fouls, etc. Default just feels a touch too fast for me though so i reckon i'll stick with slow for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom