[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

I'm loving this, it arrived today with my PS4 and I'm actually blown away by how much better it looks and feels over PS3/360. The presentation is stunning, graphics are far, far better and pretty gorgeous, and so far the only slider I've felt the need to alter is to increase my power bar.

Normal speed feels just right too, and I absolutely LOVE the broadcast camera, set to maximum height and zoom. Makes the game really hard to play but it looks just like it does on TV. I played with Arsenal at the Emirates and the camera was panning and zooming in and out as I was playing. I don't care if the game is easier on a different camera angle, this looks as close to real life as you can get.

The graphics are lovely though. The blades of grass flying around on replays is something else.

That said I'm getting my arse handed to me, after several years of PES I'm still getting used to the different feel to the game and the controls. I've modified them to suit my needs but after PES 2014 I keep using the right stick for stuff and pressing triangle after shooting etc :D

Glad you're liking the game. It sounds like your first impressions are much like mine.

I've gone two weeks pretty happy with just playing with default sliders, but recently I've been tempted to begin messing around with them more. I'm already on my third CM because I keep getting fired! I'm playing on WC but, like you, I'm getting schooled by the CPU, kinda like I was getting schooled on current gen before they patched it. Defending around my box is killing me right now.

Honestly, I think it might be more me than the CPU. I think that as I've gotten more used to the game, I'm playing less cautious and it's costing me. Mistakes in this game can be very costly against the CPU.

Can't wait to see what evo-web thinks of this game and what slider changes people go for. Personally I can't decide whether I like the game more with or without slider adjustments, but if I'm going to ever make it past the first winter transfer window in a CM, I might need to make things easier with sliders.

Glad you're liking the game. It sounds like your first impressions are much like mine.

I've gone two weeks pretty happy with just playing with default sliders, but recently I've been tempted to begin messing around with them more. I'm already on my third CM because I keep getting fired! I'm playing on WC but, like you, I'm getting schooled by the CPU, kinda like I was getting schooled on current gen before they patched it. Defending around my box is killing me right now.

Honestly, I think it might be more me than the CPU. I think that as I've gotten more used to the game, I'm playing less cautious and it's costing me. Mistakes in this game can be very costly against the CPU.

Can't wait to see what evo-web thinks of this game and what slider changes people go for. Personally I can't decide whether I like the game more with or without slider adjustments, but if I'm going to ever make it past the first winter transfer window in a CM, I might need to make things easier with sliders.

I bit off more than I could chew, went straight in on World Class, semi everything with manual through balls and long passes, and zoomed in TV broadcast cam :P

I can't defend headers though. I think I'm conceding one with every game but I presume it's because I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Generally, while I'm still trying to get used to the new defending method (I pretty much dropped FIFA after 11), the COM seems pretty aware and plays some decent stuff. The AI seems pretty good. I'm still tempted to play a CM with Tottenham as them at White Hart Lane is really authentic, but I'll need a lot of practice before delving into game modes.

Finding it hard with the controller but only played one game whilst it loaded.

The rest of the games I tried to play there was no ball......

could start playing online this morning.
players seem smaller than in cg at first,and everything very sharp and alive,intros ,replays and player movement is superb.
played only seasons ,and could start where i was in cg(div 7).
its the best footballgame yet,and i am anything but a ea fan.
got trashed a few times but i dont seem to mind,i looks stunning ,
like many others say,once you play ps4,xb one version you cant go back to cg,a huge difference,youtube does not do this game justice.
no problems with seeing the ball for me,altough to often its in the back of my net.
maybe to often goals from headers or spoiled balls from keepers ,but thats it.
were 1800 players online on ps4 last time i played,but once people start playing this game ,these numbers should grow quickly, so addictive this game.:WORSHIP:

Aw noo hope you get it sorted quick

Thanks buddy. Was able to get another one through knowing someone who knows someone else who still had one left. Should hopefully get it by Tuesday. Such a relief, really, I'd be SO gutted if I had to wait until the end of the year for a replacement from Amazon.

Yep, I've seen a few people with issues on NeoGAF who are getting replacements next week from either Amazon or Sony.

Now the PS4 is out can we lump together and get them to put offline tournaments back in somehow?

Nobs shouldn't have taken it out in the first place

Just seen a strange thing, playing at Ivy Lane on TV broadcast camera sees the camera weirdly start swinging around all over the place even behind the goal when the ball goes into the bottom left corner of the pitch. Strange.

Aside from that I'm absolutely loving it. Shooting is a joy and keepers are generally great. The ball physics when they parry the ball out are great, and they don't always parry the ball to a striker unlike other games I won't mention!

I think this is so far ahead of any other football game ever made. Some might not say that's much of an accolade given the quality of football games over the last generation, but this is easily the most realistic and well presented.

Best football game period. Makes pes look like a school project. Theyve added in loads of new animations and touches and the flow is amazing. The fact you dont see needless cut scenes but flowing animation between breaks gives it a lovely feel.

Any PS4 players noticed that pressing the touchpad gives you control of the goalkeeper?

Goddamn, the PS4 is sold out in Norway until the end of January! :p That broadcast camera is sounding mighty sexy - anyone care to post any videos? :)

And how does replays work in the NG version? Can you save replays on your machine, or do you have to upload them? And if you can save them, can you play them back with a customized broadcast camera? :)

On PS4 you'd do it by going into the in game replay - setting it up how like, cameras etc. Then allow the replay to play. Then press the share button, trim it down to exactly what you want to save.
Then upload.

Not here in Germany, I'm afraid. For now they only offer repair services through a 3rd party partner. I'm not interested in getting my broken PS4 back one day, however.

I'd start contacting them publicly on twitter and the like, no company likes bad social media PR these days.

On PS4 you'd do it by going into the in game replay - setting it up how like, cameras etc. Then allow the replay to play. Then press the share button, trim it down to exactly what you want to save.
Then upload.

Thanks. :) Can you play back the saved replay with for instance the broadcast camera with a customized setting, and does the uploaded replay include sound? :)

Cant recommend this enough. With my sliders its just bliss. Never seen so much animation. Its amazing how tey nailed ball physics, the deflections andscrambles... Theyve also added in more types of shots and passes. Played a lovely manual crossfield ball with gerrard before, outside of the boot....

I'm not on Twitter :P

Start a new account with a catchy name, something like "DayOnePS4DOA" and start tweeting all official Sony channels as well as gaming sites etc. etc. not fair that Germany is taking so long to exchange when the rest of the world is next day or max 3 days.

Thanks. :) Can you play back the saved replay with for instance the broadcast camera with a customized setting, and does the uploaded replay include sound? :)

you can't edit anything of the replay once you use the share button. it just records whatever just happened on screen. so set everything up in game before pressing it.

the uploads do include sound though yes

I'm shockingly bad at this game, if you saw a video of a match you'd think I was drunk or something. I suppose playing on TV Broadcast camera doesn't help but it's quite hilarious how poor I am. When the COM has the ball on the wing my full back pretty much runs past the winger rather than challenging him, and any forward moves seem to see the COM just run up and take the ball with ease. Yup, I've been playing on World Class as I used to play FIFA on that up to FIFA11, but it's obviously very different these days.

I think I need to start again. Are there any decent guides to the game online? Can't see to find any. I'm loving the game experience on next gen but it would be even better if I could have more than one shot at goal and not lose every game :LOL:

Last edited:
wonderful game i must say. playing it on my ps4.

i do have a question.

how do you login and play online? i press R3 to sign in to ea servers and i get a popup message saying this:

:in order to acess the online features for this title your sony entertainment network account must be signed in and you must be signed in to the ea servers:

im already signed into PSN?

I'm shockingly bad at this game, if you saw a video of a match you'd think I was drunk or something. I suppose playing on TV Broadcast camera doesn't help but it's quite hilarious how poor I am. When the COM has the ball on the wing my full back pretty much runs past the winger rather than challenging him, and any forward moves seem to see the COM just run up and take the ball with ease. Yup, I've been playing on World Class as I used to play FIFA on that up to FIFA11, but it's obviously very different these days.

I think I need to start again. Are there any decent guides to the game online? Can't see to find any. I'm loving the game experience on next gen but it would be even better if I could have more than one shot at goal and not lose every game :LOL:

Next gen is a lot harder than current gen. I wasn't struggling much with Legendary on current gen but I've struggled with WC on next gen.

I think I've just passed a corner though and the game has been a lot easier the last couple of days. Here are a couple tips regarding what it sounds like you're having trouble with:

* on WC and Legendary, you HAVE to use the contain and teammate contain buttons. On Pro difficulty, and on current gen, I found you don't really need them much but if you're going to hang with the CPU on next gen, rely on contain, rarely use the tackle buttons, and only sprint when you're tracking an attacker from behind. Be super cautious on defense or else you'll get smoked.

* if in attack you're being easily dispossessed, you're probably a) not being patient and cautious enough with your passes; and b) probably not using L2 protect the ball enough. Like defending, be super patient and rarely sprint.

Honestly, I find the biggest thing to master with this game is being patient and cautious; the CPU is extremely punishing if you play overly aggressive.

I also suggest utilizing the quick tactics and attack/defense mentalities during a match, a lot. In the past I found them pretty useless but with next gen I'm actually finding them to be helpful.

For example, I start almost every big match or away match with a defensive mentality and counter-attack tactics. Depending upon how the CPU plays, I switch it up later. I also have found for the first time that the team pressing tactic can be really helpful in short spurts or when you really want to punish teams lower ranked than you.

Seriously though, the most important keys to this game I think are being cautious in defense and patient in attack.

wonderful game i must say. playing it on my ps4.

i do have a question.

how do you login and play online? i press R3 to sign in to ea servers and i get a popup message saying this:

im already signed into PSN?

I had this happen to me once. I restarted the ps4 and everything was fine.

That said, I've plenty of trouble logging into EA's servers with any consistency. I don't know if it's EA or Sony.

Not yet, hoping the PS4 arrives on Friday and I'll post my thoughts then.

From what I've seen so far, the crowds are better, maybe the odd animation extra. Graphics should be the same as PC but NG missing modes like BAP?

Still, looking forward to trying it.

Any thoughts now you've got it, sorry about specifically picking you but I know you played the PC Version with the best conditions so want that perspective.

Any thoughts now you've got it, sorry about specifically picking you but I know you played the PC Version with the best conditions so want that perspective.

No probs mate. Surprisingly it is actually a lot better than the PC version. The graphics look sharp, detailed and good colours. I expected it to look just like the PC but they've put effort into this.

Gameplay feels great, kinda reminds me of the demo where the gameplay just flowed. Rverythng feels smooth and you can notice the animations making a difference.

Physicality does show too. The game is more of a battle now and you see some great tussles where both players fight for the ball. There's even a trophy for winning the ball back the second time. I thought Ignite would just be PR hype but it does affect gameplay.

Even things like the sounds are better. I swear there never used to be this nice swoosh sound when the ball hit the net previously. Very satisfying. Presentation in general is better and the replays are actually worth watching. Almost to the same level as PES, if only they cut out the custom celebration nonsense.

Having owned FIFA on PC, I feel the £42 it cosy for the new game was worth it. It feels fresh and what I wanted FIFA to be.

Back
Top Bottom