Copa America 2011

Who do you think will win the Copa America ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm argentinean, but I hate Batista and plenty of players from this team, so I'm sad for losing but also happy because there must be an obligated change in the AFA now, this was pathetic.

It wasn't pathetic, as such, cmon... Of course Argentina didn't play great at this Copa America, but this match was something else. Messi was inspired today. A little bit credit to Uruguay. What a great match, great behaviour at defense, and credits to Muslera! Amazing :)

I think Uruguay will win this. It will make justice to their moment and also for being the best South American side in WC2010.

Yeah Uruguay is best team. Key word being TEAM. They have their great individuals but most importantly they play as a TEAM! Very organized, disciplined and they fight and give 110% for EVERY ball and 50-50!

You see Forlan and Suarez trying so hard even in dying minutes when they must've been EXHAUSTED playing with one man less for like 90 mins!

Was surprised Tabarez made the changes so late! He could've used fresher legs earlier and I would've brought on Cavani as well and then I think they could've won the game without penalties but anyway it doesn't matter now.

Bottom line is, Argentina is not a TEAM but a collection/group of VERY TALENTED players.

And Messi was outstanding! I'm just waiting for dumb media to do what they usually do and blame Argentina's failures on him by saying he didn't play well, etc. The guy is a machine! He was amazing, but Argentina are out and that's not his fault at all. If anything, they had a chance because of him and how great he was. And he tried so hard! Gave everything he had!

Muslera was outstanding!! As were Lugano and rest of team.

Bottom line is, Argentina is not a TEAM but a collection/group of VERY TALENTED players.

That's why I say Argentina NT is PATHETIC, we ain't a team, just a collection of individualities, a bunch of rich cry-babies (Di Maria as example) that never think about the team, but instead about their own good.

Muslera was outstanding!!

Man of the match, no doubt about it, and the best keeper of the cup so far, but also I must say that Romero was splendid.

Anyway, the match was really dirty, plenty of hard fouls by both sides... sometimes I wondered if I was watching a Football match or an American Football one.

Yep. Both teams are fully of dirty players and the rivalry between nations doesn't help either. Both really want to win and have plenty of players who 'bend' the rules.

Anyway, in long-run hopefully this is best for Argentina. Batista and corrupt AFA members out (fingers crosses but pessimistic), get a proper coach in and build something special with this group of talented players. Right now it's all a big waste....

And no way should've Milito been starting CB! He has done nothing to deserve that over last 18 months. He's a shadow of player he used to be. Instead of solid and reliable like before, now you get scared when you see him on pitch and he makes many mistakes and many fouls.

Well, today it has been one very disappointing day, I of for yes already was thinking that this happens, it of Batiste it is bad (it has taken Tevez that was not deserving to be, as Diego Milito y Zanetti, since this one I finalize this one very old already) and in addition I arm a very poor defense. Excellent mas of Argentina has been Lionel Messi, since he is never a god and as such (except with Colombia) has played badly in a selected armed evil (thing that is meritorious)

Sorry bad English.

I'm argentinean, but I hate Batista and plenty of players from this team, so I'm sad for losing but also happy because there must be an obligated change in the AFA now, this was pathetic.

This is interesting. Could you say which players you hate and why? It's interesting to know what supporters from a nation really think about their players because people from other countries automatically assume that 95% of players must be loved because they are representing the country.

Re: last night's game, does anyone agree that Mascherano's second yellow was one of the softest 2nd bookings ever? I only saw youtube highlights but it didn't look like anyone really complained about it. Also no-one has mentioned it in this thread. Was it maybe because of persistant fouling?

(it has taken Tevez that was not deserving to be, as Diego Milito y Zanetti, since this one I finalize this one very old already)

i dont agree with you for nothing , for me Tevez is class and he should start before than aguero , and Zaneti its great too hes old but u cant find 1 single mistake on hes game

Re: last night's game, does anyone agree that Mascherano's second yellow was one of the softest 2nd bookings ever? I only saw youtube highlights but it didn't look like anyone really complained about it. Also no-one has mentioned it in this thread. Was it maybe because of persistant fouling
?

yeah a bit of touch on Suarez

Wow, how much has been written while I was gone, but oh well. :D

Official Highlights

16 July, Quarterfinals

Colombia 0-2 Peru

Goals: Lobatón (101'), Vargas (111')

YouTube - Melhores momentos Colômbia 0 x 2 Peru pelas quarta de final da Copa América 2011

Great match! Decent of quarterfinals. Very good, what I managed to watch this match live, it's worth it. I particularly remember a great game goalkeepers of both teams, despite the fact that it was due to an error of Columbian goalkeeper and had scored two goals, but overall he played at altitude. In this match had everything: tension until the very last minutes of the meeting, a great game of goalkeepers, a large number of scoring chances situations, so good luck one and other teams (the crossbar and the cross), in short everything that the game seemed pretty interesting. Well, good luck Peru in next match with Uruguay, which after all, has beaten the hosts of the tournament, Argentina, although and on a penalty shot, but it is not begging for their services, because they played the entire game on an equal all game, and to Colombia can say goodbye, they played very decently in the tournament, but lost in a magnificent match a more good team. :BYE:

Argentina 1-1 (pen. 4-5) Uruguay

Goals: Higuaín (17') - Pérez (5')

Penalty Goals: Messi, Burdisso, Tévez, Pastore, Higuaín - Forlán, Suárez, Scotti, Gargano, Cáceres

YouTube - Argentina 1 (4) x (5) 1 Uruguai ( Melhores momentos ) - pelas Cuartos de final da Copa América 2011

Hmm, very sorry for hosts of the tournament, a pity that they have lose in the quarterfinals, and of course a pity that all decided a one pinalty that Tevez did not score. In the course of the meeting were two offside, the first Argentine, I saw, but the second ... can anyone help me saw, but I, uh ... Also during the meeting, both teams had chances to score many, but a great game of goalkeepers, defense, and the crossbar (:D) has done its job. I will try to see replay of this match, as judging by the review, it was just a game - not only worthy of the quarterfinals, but and of the final, be sure to see who has not seen. It's worth it. Uruguay is going on, and on July 19 in La Plata to meet with Peru for the right to reach the final of tournament, and to Argentina can only say one, goodbye Argentina! :BYE:

Last edited:
Was surprised Tabarez made the changes so late! He could've used fresher legs earlier and I would've brought on Cavani as well and then I think they could've won the game without penalties but anyway it doesn't matter now.

Edinson Cavani is injured. Imagine what a deadly attack they have with Cavani, Suarez and Forlán.

Cheers Artem, for the highlights again :)
You will see in the highlights that Uruguay was ripped off. They had a 2nd goal that shouldn't be disallowed. The player who took the rebound from the crossbar was onside. And the stupid Brazilian commentator ignores this fact.

To sum it up, full credit to Uruguay! With 10 men and being ripped off, eliminating Argentina with Messi and all, at their own turf. Fully deserved. Respect!

Re: last night's game, does anyone agree that Mascherano's second yellow was one of the softest 2nd bookings ever? I only saw youtube highlights but it didn't look like anyone really complained about it. Also no-one has mentioned it in this thread. Was it maybe because of persistant fouling?

Yes extremely soft. Was never a yellow card especially a 2nd yellow and the funny thing is, Mascherano (surprisingly lol) wasn't even fouling much so it couldn't have been for persistent fouling BY him either.

However, it could've been for persistent fouling ON Suarez because every one was knocking him down every time he got ball (of course he makes most of it and successfully got every single player in defense of Argentina except Zanetti I think booked :D and then got a 2nd-yellow for Mascherano :P this guy's good lol! Because he's got amazing ability and is extremely competitive/cheater lol).

So maybe for persistent fouling ON Suarez but that's kind of unfair still since Milito is the one who had like 6 fouls on him within 20 mins and Mascherano had 1 and suddenly because of play-acting, BOom... 2nd yellow while Arevalo the Uruguayan DMF made many worse fouls and I think didn't even get a yellow.

But anyway yeah it doesn't matter, Tabarez' team overall >>> Batista's team so Uruguay deserved to go through and can well win this cup now.

That penalty spot is awful but the penalties were even worse.

Great penalties by Brazilians. :CONFUSE: Maybe behind the goal were Paraguay supporters. :LOL: I don't know how to describe it.

Wow 4 penalties and Brazil couldnt score any of them, Andre Santos kicked the ground a good 5cm before the ball and kicked up a huge cloud of dirt. And then Fred, he couldnt even do the run up. Justo Villar had a sensational game.

Worst penalty shoot-out and shooters I've ever seen. You could see while they were walking towards the ball, like freaking low self-esteem rock stars, they were going to miss big time.

Brasil its one my fav NT together with England but that neymar its doing me to hate Brasil !!!!

im happy they are out that children have a lot to learn ;)

btw Neymar its on my list "players that I hate" , hes right there behind Ibrahimoshit and C. Ronaldo , well not so bad 3th posision for him but he look promising player and can be 1st on my list soon LOL

Brasil sent home! I agree is one of the worse penalty shoout-outs I've ever seen. But the grass was indeed atrocious.

I don't get how can they organize a tournament and have pitches like those. It's simply unacceptable and someone should take measures about it. It's damaging the image of south-american football when the ball moves more like a rabbit than a real ball.

Greetings to Paraguay, they standed there as rocks and take profit at the end. But I think Brazil totally deserved to win and go through, the same as Argentina. Both teams tried to dominate their games, had chances and were simply unlucky, and now they're out.

I really really hope that Chile wins it. It's been the best team up to now in my oppinion.

You do realise it is Winter in most of South America right now ? Especially in Argentina, given it is a southerly country in Latin America the effects of Winter are extenuated. The pitch was not significantly worse than some winter pitches in northern Europe in Winter (e.g. Wembley a few years ago, Stamford Bridge, Munich's old Olympiastadion). The pitch was also the same for both teams so it's a moot point really, only Edgar Baretto missed a penalty for Paraguay and even that was more down to technique than the pitch, he tried to lace it into the bottom corner. Estigarribia and Riveros both hit good penalties. I think Brazil should look at the actual penalty takers, why were Thiago Silva and Andre Santos (two highly defensive players) taking kicks 3 and 4 ? Robinho would have been better or even Maicon (who has a powerful shot). He made the Pato - Elano sub very late, he might have been better making a Ramieres - Elano sub at the very end of the game, then at least Pato could have taken a kick.

Brazil and Chile out! OMG! :SHOCK:

I think the pressure is pretty much all on Uruguay to win the tournament, although Paraguay has its best chance in years.

Mano is clueless, simply doesn't know what to do. He had benched Robinho before, but then he came back and became one of the best in the squad. Ganso and Neymar are simply ineffective. There aren't enough shots on goal, there's too much flare and few incisive passes.

The squad lacks a little bit of quality, could have better players up front like Hulk... but it should have been enough to beat Paraguay in 90 minutes. The style of play is what he got wrong the most.

Oh well, the semifinals are quite unexpected!

Brazil and Chile out! OMG! :SHOCK:

I think the pressure is pretty much all on Uruguay to win the tournament, although Paraguay has its best chance in years.

Mano is clueless, simply doesn't know what to do. He had benched Robinho before, but then he came back and became one of the best in the squad. Ganso and Neymar are simply ineffective. There aren't enough shots on goal, there's too much flare and few incisive passes.

The squad lacks a little bit of quality, could have better players up front like Hulk... but it should have been enough to beat Paraguay in 90 minutes. The style of play is what he got wrong the most.

Oh well, the semifinals are quite unexpected!

Well in the end i was right in Uruguay winning this Copa America (hopefully). Me and the user el_cely apparently

Disappointed to see Chile go out like that.

You do realise it is Winter in most of South America right now ? Especially in Argentina, given it is a southerly country in Latin America the effects of Winter are extenuated...

It doesn't change the fact that the pitches are in a lame state and this doesn't help at all. It's not an excuse of any kind for any team, I was just stating that as a spectator, I find it excruciating when matches are played in poor pitches like these. I'm sure that they could have done something to prevent this state. Surely not all the pitches in England or Germany are like this during winter and soemthing could have been done for the tournament.

It doesn't change the fact that the pitches are in a lame state and this doesn't help at all. It's not an excuse of any kind for any team, I was just stating that as a spectator, I find it excruciating when matches are played in poor pitches like these. I'm sure that they could have done something to prevent this state. Surely not all the pitches in England or Germany are like this during winter and soemthing could have been done for the tournament.

They are not all like that, but when you have 3-4 games played over 2 weeks on any pitch in such wintery weather it is likely to cut up. Germany has a winter break so the pitches get a rest in winter. But if you look at an English pitch in early Jan, after 2-3 games have been played on it over Christmas / New Year you will often find them in a bumpy condition.

Back
Top Bottom