Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

Thanks to have taken the time to share your feellings eduardtee . You've made me impatient to get this game.
Is that a shame I dont have it yet ? :_(

beachryan said:
I'm beginning to like it more, after a few more matches. Still don't get the L1+Triangle pass, has anyone managed to actually use it? It seems completely useless to me.
Good review, alot of the comments are encouraging to those still becoming aquainted with the new system!

Thanks a lot! I think it's good to have a review which mentions the differences between WE9 and PES4 and that you can't assume that you can immediately go out and be a good WE9 player.
If that's what someone expects, I can imagine him/her being frustrated w/ the game.
You have to approach WE9 as a new game that you'll have to learn and that you may or may not have an advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) by playing previous installments of this game.

beachryan said:
I'm beginning to like it more, after a few more matches. Still don't get the L1+Triangle pass, has anyone managed to actually use it? It seems completely useless to me.
Good review, alot of the comments are encouraging to those still becoming aquainted with the new system!

I scored an awesome goal with Drogba, Makelele did a lobbing through ball from half way and Drogba chipped it over the keeper while the ball was on the bounce.

I find it to work very well in this version but it just requires you to use your radar well and of course abit of luck :)

Well this is the first time I've really posted about the new version, and despite trying and trying, I just don't think I like it at all. I cannot understand it, it just doesn't feel like a WE/PES game at all to me. I am having so much trouble creating chances, never before have I struggled to this degree. Ok in WE6 and earlier it was hard to create chances but at least I knew what I was doing wrong, in this I have no idea.

I can't dribble, period. Again, never had a version where I couldn't dribble. In WE8LE, you held in :r2: and a direction to take a first-touch that way, in WE9 when you do this it doesn't work, there seems to be a new control that keeps the ball much closer to your player. I cannot figure out when to use :r2: to receive the pass, when to use :r1:, and when to just use the d-pad.

I'm playing on 5* as I haven't unlocked 6* yet, but as a matter of principle I refuse to drop down to lower levels, I have never had to play on anything except the highest available difficulty in 7 years of playing this series. It doesn't matter anyway, I've had a small session with a friend and it feels exactly the same way to me.

I am truly gutted, I want to like it, I love the new shooting animations and :r2: shot, stadiums, etc, but if I can't play the bugger they're not much consolation. :(

ClassicD said:
Well this is the first time I've really posted about the new version, and despite trying and trying, I just don't think I like it at all. I cannot understand it, it just doesn't feel like a WE/PES game at all to me. I am having so much trouble creating chances, never before have I struggled to this degree. Ok in WE6 and earlier it was hard to create chances but at least I knew what I was doing wrong, in this I have no idea.

I can't dribble, period. Again, never had a version where I couldn't dribble. In WE8LE, you held in :r2: and a direction to take a first-touch that way, in WE9 when you do this it doesn't work, there seems to be a new control that keeps the ball much closer to your player. I cannot figure out when to use :r2: to receive the pass, when to use :r1:, and when to just use the d-pad.

I'm playing on 5* as I haven't unlocked 6* yet, but as a matter of principle I refuse to drop down to lower levels, I have never had to play on anything except the highest available difficulty in 7 years of playing this series. It doesn't matter anyway, I've had a small session with a friend and it feels exactly the same way to me.

I am truly gutted, I want to like it, I love the new shooting animations and :r2: shot, stadiums, etc, but if I can't play the bugger they're not much consolation. :(

I know what you mean, but stick at it, it just takes a lot of adjusting too. I'm now only starting to score 2+ goals on 6* and like you I refuse to play on 3 or 4* so it really is jumping in at the deep end. I came straight to this from PES4 Xbox and it's so different and I'm now only getting to grips with the dribbling but trust me stick with as its the best winning eleven i've played and I've had them all since WE5 with the exeption of WE8 as I defered to an xbox but this caused me too repurchase a ps2 and I'm glad i made the investment. PES 4 Xbox never had me this hooked and I think the challenge is part of the addiction this time, and some of the goals you can now score are truely satisfying.

ClassicD said:
I know what you mean. The main reason there's no review round here is because I can't say I'm used to it yet. I keep getting told to persevere but something just isn't there for me.

I'm getting used to the first touches now and the passing just about though I'm still convinced some passes just go to the wrong person for no reason.

I'll give it more time as I know you will, maybe we're getting too old for this shit. :)

I am 30 and I love the game lol. It took about 4 games for me to like it.
I am playing on level 3 and I can knock it about create chances though I seem to miss more in the area and score outside the box. I am quite good at sliding tackles though I feel the computer jumps for headers for me.
I never really use R2 or any other tricks really though I will learn to control the ball better etc and then play on level 5.

Here is a review.... I dont know if this has been posted before :)

I've been playing WE9 for a few days now (since Friday) and I'm kinda surprised about it.
I like the game, let that be clear. But I do have the feeling that I have to relearn the game when it comes to dribbling and passing... I think it's more realistic though, but I do have to adjust my playing style. So it'll take a little bit of time before I'm able to play on the level that I've been playing PES4.
So my experiences based on 10/15+ games against another human player (usually AC Milan versus AC Milan) on 5*'s can be found beneath.
I never play ML and only play friendly matches against the computer if I want to practice. I usually play just against my friends, because that's the most fun to me. And usually we play w/ the standard clubs or countries (AC Milan, Brazil, Barcelona, Arsenal, France, Real Madrid). So now you know my background as to what type of usage I get from PES/WE.

So the things I've noticed:

Overall:
+ The balance between dribbling and defending is much better. In PES4 it was too easy to dribble past defenders. Now, it's still possible, but you'll have to anticipate your opponents moves even more!
+ Overall I feel that you have more control over your players. For example: pressuring my opponents backs w/ my 3 forwards is much more useful, intercepting a pass is easier.
+ Defensive AI is a lot better.
+ You can really notice the difference between a good player and a bad player. E,g,: defenders are really slow to turn on the spot, as opposed to e.g. Kaka whos a lot quicker.
+ Offside is implemented so that you'll only be offside if the player touches the ball. A really good implementation in my opinion! This means that you can stop a player in his tracks if you see he is actually offside and use another player to run after the ball!
+ Advantage rule is implemented better than in PES4. Getting a card or seeing an injured player taken off will occur after advantage has not been used. Advantage rule is so much better.
+ Injuries will not only occur after a sliding tackle, but also by straining a muscle after shooting, or after being pushed over w/ an X nudge. Inzaghi is more prone to injuries than he has been before
+ Players don't turn on the spot anymore. There's a bit more delay. You can use this to your advantage in both offensive terms (know that a defender can't turn on the spot) and defensive turns (a player w/ the ball can't immediately go past ya).
- Keepers are not very good. Even Dida has problems w/ shots from outside the box. He'll usually knock 'em corner and not grab the ball w/ two hands.

Running/dribbling:
+ A lot harder then in PES4!!! When you turn 180 degrees, they skid a little bit because they're not able to stop immediately, especially when running w/ R1. So this means that players don't stop the ball immediately when you turn.
+ Using R2 gives you a LOT more control, compared to dribbling w/ out R1 or R2. Big difference means other usage. Default dribbling is a lot harder now (seems as if players make one more step while dribbling).
+ You can't just run, run, run anymore when you have the ball. You have to find a new balance between running w/ R1 and just walking around. The default sidestep w/out R2 helps in this.
+ New controls when receiving the ball w/ R1 or R2. Receiving w/ R1 means knocking the ball forward (as was the case w/ R2 in PES4). Receiving w/ R2 means control (as was the case w/ standard receiving in PES4).
-/+ Some players will have to relearn how to walk/run w/ the ball and how to do tricks. For me this is something which I'll have to relearn. This control system is more consistent w/ the buttons (R1 being really fast running, so also faster acceptance and R2 giving more control).

Passing:
+ More realistic passing. Not every X pass ends up in your players feet. You have to position yourself really well and pay attention to where your opponents are to give a good pass.
+ Through balls w/ Triangle are also a bit faster in my opinion. Use wisely.
- L1 + Triangle passes are hard to use. In PES4 I used it quite often, but in WE9 the passes go way too hard and end up in the keepers hands.
- Triple tap w/ O doesn't work that often anymore But I found it too easy in PES4 actually.
- Throwing the ball w/ the goalie isn't that safe anymore. You'll have to watch out w/ throwing the ball because it'll often lead to a throw to a player who's covered by a forward who'll be able to take the ball quite easily.

Heading:
+ Much more control over heading. Using R2 is much more useful.
+ I feel that heading is more precise. I can now control more which way my player will head the ball w/ X.

Shooting:
+ Shooting from outside the box is much easier. You can really blast 'em in the goal if there are no opponents around. In PES4 I almost never shot from outside the box, but because it usually ended up in the scramble or against one of my own players.
+ Lobs (w/ L1) are much better to control. If you only tap it like in PES4 the ball goes really slow and low and definitely in the hands of the keeper. You can use the bar just like a normal shot which means you have to press Square longer.
-/+ In some situations, you have to aim more precise to score. I've had more shots going parallel to the backline and eventually going over the sideline than in PES4. But I don't think this is a WE9 specific issue. I also had this "problem" when switching from PES3 to WE8. So I guess it's more of a WE/PES difference then it is for this new release.

Free kicks:
+ More as in PES3, perhaps even EASIER than PES3... Way easier then PES4. PES4 was too difficult in my opinion, so tackling somebody and giving up a free kick wasn't that much of a problem. But now you have to be a lot more careful again.
+ New control system (selecting a player w/ R2 and passing to your shooter w/ L1 + X) is a lot better than the controls in PES4.
+ Bar when passing short w/ X. Now your opponent will not know whether you're gonna give a high pass w/ O or just a short pass w/ X.
- When getting a free kick around the midfield, your players will not be standing near the opponents box. They'll hang in between both the box and the midfield. So a O pass for a header isn't really possible. You have to wait longer for them to walk to the box.

Corners:
+/- Same as in PES4 in my opinion. But again the bar is seen when giving a low ball w/ X.

Defending:
+ Best ever controls! I feel like I control the player, as opposed to the control system in PES4. If I'm now running behind somebody, I"ll know that pressing X will lead to a soft tackle/nudge w/ the player falling down and getting a free kick, but w/out a yellow/red card!
- Using X leads too easy to penalties and sometimes makes your player slide tackle. A bit too much perhaps.
-/+ Some players will have to relearn how to defend. Pressing and holding X will lead to a lot of free kicks given which can be frustrating. YOu'll have to learn to walk near your player and only use X when in front of the player. For me it hasn't been much of a problem, but for my friend it has been.

Throw-ins:
- Same bad control system as in PES4. I liked the PES3 system better where you controlled the player in the field and not the thrower. Sometimes your infield players are trapped by your opponents and you can't do anything about it. This is especially clear when playing opponents that are defensively strong, like AC Milan who get a good default positioning with throw-ins and free kicks.

Graphics:
+ Much more detail in movement. New moves added (e.g. tapping the ball away from a defender w/ the outside of the boot)
+ More detail in player-faces (not that I care or anything).
+/- Better looking menu's, but I could not care less. It's all about the gameplay in my opinion.
- No crowd during gameplay, but I can't be bothered by that as some people are. I pay more attention to what happens on the pitch than what happens around it. And if the removal of crowd means better performance of the game, then I'm happy w/ it.

Sounds:
+ Sound of drums from the crowd which adds some atmosphere to the game...
+/- Can't really compare it to PES4, since there's Japanese commentary. Sound effects are about the same (haven't noticed any big improvements or anything).

CONCLUSION:
I think Konami have made a lot of differences in the game, especially when it comes down to playing the offensive game. I think it's a BIG improvement (more realistic) over PES4, but this DOES mean that some people will have to relearn the game. The improvements on the defensive end are also huge. So there's a good balance between offense and defense I think.

I can't make a good judgement of course, since I haven't played the game as often as PES4, but for now it seems like a good improvement.

But don't think that you can pick this game up and play on the same level as PES4. You'll to put some time and effort in it, to adjust to the new controls...
You can't assume that you can immediately go out and be a good WE9 player.
If that's what you expect, I can imagine you're being frustrated w/ the game.
You have to approach WE9 as a new game that you'll have to learn and that you may or may not have an advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) by playing previous installments of this game.

If you can adjust to this, I"m sure you'll enjoy this more than the previous installments because the tactical side of playing is so much better!

ClassicD said:

You can use R1 along with the d-pad to make long controls but you'll need some space around the player otherwise you'll be quickly pressed and most probably loose the ball.

Use R2 and you'll have a very short control. Usefull when you are surrounded, make a short control and quickly move to find space or to get in a good position to pass depending on the ability of the player.

D-pad control is somewhere in the middle.

More than ever, timing is important due to players inertia.

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
:(

Hi ClassicD

The keys have changed a little... upon receiving the ball

R2 upon receiving the ball actually traps the ball, keeping it from bobbling about... it doesn't push it away like previously i think
Just direction button, pushes the ball slightly in that direction (for shielding ball)
R1 + direction actually pushes the ball further away as once you receive it...
R1 + direction (in same direction the ball is travelling) as you receive the ball, makes your player turn in that direction without controlling the ball (great for fooling defenders)
R1 alone makes it go thru your legs (same as previous versions)

The best feeling is when you completely fool a defender through dribbling, and he loses balance and falls on his arse!!! :)

ClassicD said:
I can't dribble, period. Again, never had a version where I couldn't dribble. :(

Actually, using a normal player to dribble leads to failure most of the time, for me... but when I use Ronaldo or Giggs for instance, i have about 40% probability of beating the player, which i think is fair... I like this ALOT... in WE8LE... i just went through the whole team using R2 sidestep, or R2 diagonal dribble, etc... it was too scripted for me...

take me a while to adjust ..
buat now .. damn it's so fuwkin addicted :D

i wonder why everyone said that they can't driblle ?? man, compare to we8le, you can't pass defender more easily in this series .. ::up::

ClassicD said:

WHAT DA....!?!?!?!????

FIRST THEY TRY MICHAEL JACKSON FOR KIDDY FIDDLING, AND NOW CLASSIC D (NOT KCET'S FINEST!?!???) SAYS HE DOESN'T LIKE THE BEST WINNING ELEVEN THERE HAS EVER BEEN!?!?!!!

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO????!!!

I'll say it one last time, Classic, forget about what's gone before, and approach WE9 as a brand new game.

I'll be here counting the days it takes before you retract your above statements. ;)

PS As mentioned by someone else, when it comes to dribbling, R2 and R1's usage has change.

PPS WHERE'S CW WRIGHT WHEN YOU NEED HIM???!

Elite said:

+ New controls when receiving the ball w/ R1 or R2. Receiving w/ R1 means knocking the ball forward (as was the case w/ R2 in PES4). Receiving w/ R2 means control (as was the case w/ standard receiving in PES4).

When I press R1 upon receiving a pass, player does the dummy maneuver, letting the ball pass between his legs. I have also pushed the ball forward several meters with R1, I believe. Does R1 do both? Is it a timing issue? Could anyone shed some light on the issue. Thanks. :)

Golden Go@l said:
When I press R1 upon receiving a pass, player does the dummy maneuver, letting the ball pass between his legs. I have also pushed the ball forward several meters with R1, I believe. Does R1 do both? Is it a timing issue? Could anyone shed some light on the issue. Thanks. :)

R1 pressed WITHOUT any direction-buttons pressed, will lead to the through-the-leg dummy

R1 with direction button = pushing the ball

lol,,verbal kint are u a michael jackson fan??..yup,the poor guy,i feel sorry for him 2.his dancing and songs r awesome man.

Elite said:

- Throwing the ball w/ the goalie isn't that safe anymore. You'll have to watch out w/ throwing the ball because it'll often lead to a throw to a player who's covered by a forward who'll be able to take the ball quite easily.

Some people have mentioned using :l1: + :x: for goalie throws. Is this even a legitimate control option? I just use :x: . Wish shorter throws were easier to execute. If there are three men staggered along one side and you intend to throw to the middle man, often goalie throws to farthest man.

Golden Go@l said:
Some people have mentioned using :l1: + :x: for goalie throws. Is this even a legitimate control option? I just use :x: . Wish shorter throws were easier to execute. If there are three men staggered along one side and you intend to throw to the middle man, often goalie throws to farthest man.

It is just X.... 100% sure... even says it inthe manual

wilier said:
R1 pressed WITHOUT any direction-buttons pressed, will lead to the through-the-leg dummy

R1 with direction button = pushing the ball

Thanks for the answer. It seems that the more I learn about button combinations/controls the more I like the game. I'm starting to adapt to dribbling changes. Even pulled of some amazing dekes, leaving defenders on the ground. :)

I use R2 X for goalie throws, Ive always used R2 in throws because the goalie just throws it to the wrong person if I do not.

Originally I thought it was R2 + X too, but in actual fact the goalie throw works in exactly the same way as the outfield pass - simply press X for the nearest man, but for players further upfield, simply hold X for longer and... Robert's your dad's brother. ;)

groovemaster said:
Does anyone else HATE the default sidestep ?? It really bugs me.

I much preferred the R2 sidestep. My first few matches I was sidestepping all over. In WE8LE the move that was executed by pressing up then right or down then right, now results in sidestepping in WE9. However, if you barely move the analog stick at an angle between up and right, then press right or angle between down and right, then right, you will execute move aforementioned in WE8LE. In WE9 the move is basically a small arc, maybe a 45 degree movement, compared to a 90 degree arc in WE8LE. Try it in practice. It takes time, but definitely reduces amount of unwanted sidesteps.

Verbal Kint said:
Originally I thought it was R2 + X too, but in actual fact the goalie throw works in exactly the same way as the outfield pass - simply press X for the nearest man, but for players further upfield, simply hold X for longer and... Robert's your dad's brother. ;)

I'll try this out. Thanks mate. :)

tony 7 said:
I feel the computer jumps for headers for me.

Tony man, I had this feeling to. I never noticed it because I was doing wat I always did, R2+jump. But I know volleys are somewhat scripted. Especially if it a deflection, your Player sometime attempts a volley w/o any input. HAs happend 1-2 time to me.

Rgds

Back
Top Bottom