Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

ClassicD said:
Hehe, now I didn't actually say "I don't like it", I said I don't think I like it as I haven't got to the stage of passing a final opinion on the game. ;)

Your advice about approaching it as a brand new game has helped, but mainly the posts various people made about how to receive passes regarding the d-pad, :r1: and :r2: have helped me improve the most. Just being able to receive the ball now and know what I'm doing has made a huge difference. Of course I'm still finding it hard, but now I'm scoring far more frequently than before (it wasn't uncommon in the last week for me to go many league games in a row without scoring). This evening I won 6 games in a row, with a couple of 2-0 wins, a 3-0 and even a 5-0 :shock: !

Mauras, I always respect your opinion on the series. Funnily enough, when I played it with a friend my experience was the same as your's, I didn't do well and became very frustrated. Next time I play him, I'll know how to receive a pass! :mrgreen:

One small gripe I have which perhaps strictly speaking doesn't come under gameplay mechanics, is the level of fatigue accumulated in a league mode. You really have to rotate your entire squad effectively to prevent burnout in a player. There are two ways of looking at that, one is to say well perhaps in previous versions it was wrong to just use the same players all the time without being penalised. The other side of the coin is 9 out of 10 teams in real life field a settled squad every week, and it's just not possible in WE9.
Hey ClassicD,

I too was wondering where the first touch from WE8LE had gone...now when I press R2 to take the ball with my stride, it doesn't work anymore...is first touch still there?

yeah, cool...thanks, i read some posts that explained all the changes in that.

Last night, played as Ireland vs Italy, 6 stars... had a really enthralling 2-2 draw... had 2 chances and buried two excellent low drives into the far post. What's most satisfying was that there were 2 through balls from deep, which my strikers latched onto, and managed to hold off the defenders just enough to unleash the shot.

I find that the thru-ball only works very well if played from very deep...
This game is really growing on me, though... just like real football, you aren't going to carve out many chances against the Italian defence, and to put away both chances was great... :)

After playing about 25 games, mostly in a custom International League,
these are my impressions:
I have not been playing much of WE/PES for the last 6 months, so the last
game I did play was on PES4 PC. Before that it was WE8 on PS2.

- Gameplay is much better. I like the slower pace. Some games can seem a
bit more quicker. I had one Cup game as Inter vs Chelsea and it was a superb
end to end game with lots of chances.
I had the habit of trying to hurry my gameplay, and that resulted in a lot
of lost possession. The key is to play just like in real soccer, where
you try to keep the ball and play a patient game when needed, and try to
speeden things when the chance arises.
- Dribbling : this is superb now. With a good player, you can do some nice
dribbles which are realistic. Sudden change in pace and direction can cause
havoc, and the animations are really top notch. I've now gone back to
the D-pad and it's fun. The auto-sidestep thing does'nt really bother me
too much.
- Shooting : you really have to be patient and not blast the ball because
shooting like in real life requires more skill. Initially I would blaze the ball
over with just the keeper to beat. Now you really have to be cool and composed
in front of goal. I had one goal where I waited till the last minute and put
the ball between the goalie's legs. Shooting animations are superb, I love
the ones with the side-foot shot.
R2-shooting is something i need to try out more.
-Free-kicks are more easier, which is a welcome change.
-Heading: It is more realistic where not every header is destined for the goal.
-Passing: This is simply great. I love the animations and the realism.
Not every pass is guaranteed, unlike in previous WE.
-Through balls: the ground ball is really good. The lofted through ball is not great, but i think it is more effective if done from your own half and your striker
is nearer the halfway-line on a counter-attack.

Still need to play more to get a better idea, but so far this is best WE
ever since WE6. That was the last time I was so excited and amazed by a WE game.

ronaldo10 said:
good to hear people like the new version of we
can't wait to play this game

Maybe you should check this thread, most people dont like the new version of WE9

Having played the game for a few hours now, here's some first impressions;

1) Well, basically, this game gives me the exact same feeling every new WE-game does. It's very hard in the beginning, you feel like the players are hard to control, and it's really hard to score goals. I'll probably get into it within a couple of weeks though.

2) Animations are obviously improved a lot. They look really smooth. Lots of neat details everywhere, especially during collisions and such.

3) The arrows on the player you control if you're off-screen will appear shaded if you're far away from the ball, and the arrow will slowly fade in if you come closer to the ball. Pretty neat.

4) Crowds appears to be gone at most stadiums while playing. You can see them on replays and such though. Quite annoying actually.

5) Long shots and crosses seems way more sweet now. I've had a few shots very close to the goal though, which have been ballooned over, while they really should have been netted easily. Weird. Had a few good long shots and a couple of good goals as well, which was very satisfying.

6) The AI of the lads in your team is still pretty damn awful. OFFENSE, you fcuking tards. They make way few offensive runs, even though you point those offensive arrows everywhere. Really f**king annyoing.

7) Opposing defensive AI seems improved though. Their offense is still pretty useless, unless you're playing the likes of ... say, Raul and Owen, and they're not even that dangerous either. Maybe I'm just too good in defense.

8) Faces and such look really neat. One dude (that striker in Hamburg with first letter L in his name) actually looks exactly like my brother, which was pretty freaky the first time I saw it. Seriously, they're like drops of water.

Ah, gotto play this more, as it's way too frustrating to enjoy too much this early, because I'm too crap offensively.

Time for another post in this topic.

It's been a few weeks since the game arrived now, and I have to say I think they've got it wrong. Some older members might remember a post I made a long time ago about Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution, and my problems with that version. The more I play WE9, the more I think it has the same problems.

Defensive AI consists of packing nearly all the team into the penalty box, while breaking through is often about running up and down 25 yards out, turning 180° every so often. The game is balanced far too heavily on defense. Watch as Costacurta outsprints Thierry Henry, be amazed as players ICE SKATE over the pitch to intercept passes. This isn't real football, in real football if you skin someone on the wing you don't have to worry about the 5 other players standing in front of you every time. Already I have seen multiple times, an diabolical goalkeeping situation. In a 1 on 1 situation, you press shoot and the keeper does the animation for his save, and then goes into a second animation for another save WHILE IN MID AIR!.

Fed up with it, maybe I just need a break but how long do I give it? I've tried and tried to like it, if it was any other game it'd have been tossed into the 'SHITE' pile a long time ago.

Jiblets.

Hey classic, was'nt the thread "is WE6FE cack?"...
i remember that one, FE was a really frustrating game.
I have'nt given much time to WE9 yet....but i have noticed the packed CPU
defense and it is a bit annoying.
Are the problems you're seeing mainly in ML or League/Cups?

No, I had considered that it might be Konami's trademark ML/competition 'cheat' kicking-in (where every so often you go through a rough patch and the games seem 'harder' for no apparent reason), but it's a problem I have with the game when playing even simple friendly matches. I've even played plenty of multiplayer games and even when I win, the game wasn't enjoyable.

Maybe I'm just not good enough at it, in fact there is no argument from me on that point as I know I am not good enough at it or else I wouldn't be finding the balance too defensively-orientated. I'm not having any fun playing this game and that's surely what the aim of playing games is meant be? Alright, it might be more realistic that Paul Scholes can't perform a nice high-through pass because his arse was facing the wrong way by half a mega-pixel but that's no fun is it?

Just because it's a new WE game and it has nice new animations and features like :r2: shooting, doesn't mean it must be better than the previous versions. Playing WE should not feel like pulling teeth but that's exactly what this feels like...

I have played the game of my life last night. Nippon Challenge vs Brazil in the semi-final.

I have never seen anything quite like this. I was up 1-0 early in the game. After that they started bombing my goal like crazy. I would answer each time with a clever counter attack. I've had a goal disallowed. They tied in the 85' and I would eventually won in Extra Time.

They ended up with 15 shots on my goal while I had 10. I was caught offside 5 times. We've both hit crossbars one each. Their possesion rating was at 51%.

I've never ever had such a passionate and dramatic game in my long career. The CPU was brilliant they were unlucky not to have scored more than 5 goals.

Ono got the MOM with 8.0 thanks to his brilliant passing setting up my goals and Cafu was the best on their team. His wing play was outstanding. There were lots of 6.5 and 7 including both keepers.

KONAMI, I'm amazed.

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
No, I had considered that it might be Konami's trademark ML/competition 'cheat' kicking-in (where every so often you go through a rough patch and the games seem 'harder' for no apparent reason), but it's a problem I have with the game when playing even simple friendly matches. I've even played plenty of multiplayer games and even when I win, the game wasn't enjoyable.

Maybe I'm just not good enough at it, in fact there is no argument from me on that point as I know I am not good enough at it or else I wouldn't be finding the balance too defensively-orientated. I'm not having any fun playing this game and that's surely what the aim of playing games is meant be? Alright, it might be more realistic that Paul Scholes can't perform a nice high-through pass because his arse was facing the wrong way by half a mega-pixel but that's no fun is it?

Just because it's a new WE game and it has nice new animations and features like :r2: shooting, doesn't mean it must be better than the previous versions. Playing WE should not feel like pulling teeth but that's exactly what this feels like...

Classic, Classic, Classic, what can I say?!? It's a sad day when one of the most respected contributors to this forum admits defeat. I will agree with you that the CPU is overly defensive (not present in 2P games however), but the constant complaint from you and others on this board that "fast forwards" such as Henry can't dribble past defenders and leave them for dead is SIMPLY NOT TRUE!! The fact that people are still making this complaint nearly 3 weeks after WE9's release only confirms one thing to me (and others who don't have this problem), and that is some of us still have not mastered the "NEW" usage of R1 and R2 inconjuction with the D-pad.

Hint: If you continuously tap the R1 botton once you past the last defender with a "faster forward" you won't be caught. ;)

PS As for your previous comment about the goalies!?! Have you never seen a goalie go one way, and then have the agility to go the the other and a make a save in real life?!??

Last edited:
Verbal Kint said:
and that is some of us still have not mastered the "NEW" usage of R1 and R2 inconjuction with the D-pad.

Hint: If you continuously tap the R1 botton once you past the last defender with a "faster forward" you won't be caught. ;)

PS As for your previous comment about the goalies!?! Have you never seen a goalie go one way, and then have the agility to go the the other and a make a save in real life?!??

Mastering the *new* R1/R2 usage? :lol:

You talk like a pro but actually you completely have no idea what you are talking about, do you know how much accuracy you lose with the R1/R2?

Its only effective when you have a plenty of space which doesn't happen most of the time, and the r1/r2 usage was already in the previous versions so they aren't *new* as you THINK, they are just alil bit more effecively nothing less, nothing more...

I hate noobs

Verbal I'll bear the :r1: thing in mind but the keeper thing is definitely a glitch - the animation for the first save, is interrupted and a second save animation begins. The interruption happens when the keeper is in mid-air, not touching the ground, and there is no way the second save animation can be done unless he has the ground to push off from.

I don't think they are overly defensive, I have lost 0-5 against the CPU one time and now it's just too easy for me to dribble my way up the pitch. It's kind of easy to get through the defensive CPU imo.

And I just had my best game in the Premier League. Chelsea (me) - Liverpool (cpu), I scored a goal in the first half and after that goal I couldn't find any space for my players.

Then in the second half Liverpool where totally offensive and Morientes then scored a goal early in the second half. From there I was just pressured not only on there half but on mine too. So it was the thoughest game I have ever had and will never forget it.

It was like a real football game where Lampard and Gerrard battled each other too. I was scared of Liverpool in the second half :D

The game ended 1-1 and I'm on the third place on my first season, four points from Arsenal and Manchester United.

ClassicD said:
Verbal I'll bear the :r1: thing in mind but the keeper thing is definitely a glitch - the animation for the first save, is interrupted and a second save animation begins. The interruption happens when the keeper is in mid-air, not touching the ground, and there is no way the second save animation can be done unless he has the ground to push off from.

My bad, I have yet to see that happen in mid-air.

game killer said:
I don't think they are overly defensive, I have lost 0-5 against the CPU one time and now it's just too easy for me to dribble my way up the pitch. It's kind of easy to get through the defensive CPU imo.

And I just had my best game in the Premier League. Chelsea (me) - Liverpool (cpu), I scored a goal in the first half and after that goal I couldn't find any space for my players.

Then in the second half Liverpool where totally offensive and Morientes then scored a goal early in the second half. From there I was just pressured not only on there half but on mine too. So it was the thoughest game I have ever had and will never forget it.

It was like a real football game where Lampard and Gerrard battled each other too. I was scared of Liverpool in the second half :D

The game ended 1-1 and I'm on the third place on my first season, four points from Arsenal and Manchester United.

I agree with you, I think the game is very reflective of how REAL football is played - if anyone has watched the new prem season so far you'll notice that teams DO get back and defend in their own half if their opponents opt to slowly build up an attack and not hit immeadiately on the break. My only gripe is, not EVERY team is good at it.

OMG!!!!!!! I have to say, it feels like a whole new game....... To the average fan it might be a slight update, but to us hardcore WE fans we know what the deal is....... Dribbling is quite easy,, i have beaten 3 or 4 defenders with great dribblers like dinho.... Of course you cannot do this all the time... this would make the game very LAME if you could outdribble the AI like this in each match.... My tackling is spot on so i dont really get as many foul calls.... The animations are lovely.. Pires plays like his real life counter part and so forth.... My first impression man is that i love this game.......

It annoys me the way you can no longer edit licensed kits after 1 seaosn in Master League, previously you could change the licensed teams kit after each year-now you cant.

fatman_scoop said:
It annoys me the way you can no longer edit licensed kits after 1 seaosn in Master League, previously you could change the licensed teams kit after each year-now you cant.

I agree I liked deciding what kit to choose for each season.

yajrellim said:
I agree I liked deciding what kit to choose for each season.

Yeah, its a bitch. :( But I don't think Konami are at fault here. It may be a condition in the licencing agreement. (you want to use our official kit, you have to always show our official kit). Afterall, we all know what the in game editor is capable of.

Just like Gran Turismo, cars don't show any damage becoause the mnaufacturers are against it.

Cheers mates!

Verbal Kint said:
and that is some of us still have not mastered the "NEW" usage of R1 and R2 inconjuction with the D-pad.

You talk like a pro but actually you completely have no idea what you are talking about, do you know how much accuracy you lose with the R1/R2?

Its only effective when you have a plenty of space which doesn't happen most of the time, and the r1/r2 usage was already in the previous versions so they aren't *new* as you THINK, they are just alil bit more effecively nothing less, nothing more...

I hate noobs

kickkickkick said:

I hate noobs

With all respect, the main difference with R2 in this version, is that it traps the ball when you receive a pass. In WE8LE, I think it also pushes the ball further away, whereas R1 will push the ball even further. So this part is NEW.

As for the R1 + double tap directional, the beauty of the game is that you sacrifice speed for control... You have to make a quick decision whether to use it... ofter, I will R1 + double tap just the once, and then revert to just R1, before I shoot. Now that is why WE is fantastic... when you make the perfect decision, balancing pace and control... and slot the ball away as the defender tugs at your shirt... it's the beautiful game...

kickkickkick said:

I hate noobs

Noob?!?? I've been playing since the SNES!?!! I think you'll find your the one who has no idea what they're talking about.

*Shakes head* I'm not even gonna waste anymore time explaining myself to you, IDIOT!

PS Willier, thanks - I just don't have the patience to explain shit to these fools with "learning difficulties". ;)

Last edited:
Verbal Kint said:
Noob?!?? I've been playing this shit since the SNES!?!! I think you'll find your the one who has no idea what they're talking about.

*Shakes head* I'm not even gonna waste anymore time explaining myself to you, IDIOT!

yea right, so its all about the time you have been playing the game, not how you have been playing the game...

Back
Top Bottom