Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

wilier said:
Actually, using a normal player to dribble leads to failure most of the time, for me... but when I use Ronaldo or Giggs for instance, i have about 40% probability of beating the player, which i think is fair... I like this ALOT... in WE8LE... i just went through the whole team using R2 sidestep, or R2 diagonal dribble, etc... it was too scripted for me...

Yeah man. You can 'sell fish' to DF's all day long in this version. Scripted yes, difficult no. Fun for experts, maybe not. Fun for beginners or pick up gamers. Hell Yeah.

Depends a lot on weight actually. Robinho got good skills, bu moment makes contact tends to lose ball. Ronaldo, no that 'bull' can put his head down and got shoulder to shoudler with anybody. Adriano too. ROanaldinho, for all his agility and tricks goes flying at the slightest contact.

Good and bad mates all in one. Take it or leave it. WE9I (if ever) will be the peach of the lot).

PES5 , don't even bother. I think i'tl be more of the same

Golden Go@l said:
I much preferred the R2 sidestep. My first few matches I was sidestepping all over. In WE8LE the move that was executed by pressing up then right or down then right, now results in sidestepping in WE9. However, if you barely move the analog stick at an angle between up and right, then press right or angle between down and right, then right, you will execute move aforementioned in WE8LE. In WE9 the move is basically a small arc, maybe a 45 degree movement, compared to a 90 degree arc in WE8LE. Try it in practice. It takes time, but definitely reduces amount of unwanted sidesteps.

I'll be trying this... anything to improve my currently feeble skills !!!

ClassicD said:
Well this is the first time I've really posted about the new version, and despite trying and trying, I just don't think I like it at all. I cannot understand it, it just doesn't feel like a WE/PES game at all to me. I am having so much trouble creating chances, never before have I struggled to this degree. Ok in WE6 and earlier it was hard to create chances but at least I knew what I was doing wrong, in this I have no idea.

I can't dribble, period. Again, never had a version where I couldn't dribble. In WE8LE, you held in :r2: and a direction to take a first-touch that way, in WE9 when you do this it doesn't work, there seems to be a new control that keeps the ball much closer to your player. I cannot figure out when to use :r2: to receive the pass, when to use :r1:, and when to just use the d-pad.

I'm playing on 5* as I haven't unlocked 6* yet, but as a matter of principle I refuse to drop down to lower levels, I have never had to play on anything except the highest available difficulty in 7 years of playing this series. It doesn't matter anyway, I've had a small session with a friend and it feels exactly the same way to me.

I am truly gutted, I want to like it, I love the new shooting animations and :r2: shot, stadiums, etc, but if I can't play the bugger they're not much consolation. :(

:applause:

No one can dribble in WE9...

You cant score the way you want in winning eleven 9 anymore, you are forced to pass the whole game, you cant dribble, dribbling is the most important thing in any football games and its pretty fucked up in WE9, people think i say this because I didn't get used to it, I already got used to it from the previous versions, sidestep isn’t something new for me, I practiced a lot with it in PES4, and I found it pretty useless, and still it is useless in WE9, it is not something that should be used every time…

So don’t think you will get used to it, because it's not a matter of getting used to it or not, it's just pretty useless most of the time…

Elite thinks people can't play as good as in pes4 that’s why they are frustrated about the game, this is just so wrong, its not about playing good or bad, its about how to play the game the way you want….

I win most of the times when I play winning eleven 9 and I still don’t like it, because I win the same way in every single game, only from shooting out side the box or passing, and that’s it! I want some variety in game play! I don’t want to pass the whole fucking game!! I want to dribble sometimes too! And not using the worthless sidestep dribbling!

The dribbling system hasn't changed from the first version of winning eleven till winning eleven 8 livewire evolution! They shouldn’t have changed it!

Shitty PSP, If it didn’t exist this shit wouldn’t have happened at all…

Even after writing this, people will still think they have changed it for "realism "…

Oh well, guess it can't be helped…

You always say the truth ClassicD, that’s why I was waiting for your review…

I hope no one deletes my post, haven't said anything wrong really… :(

Dribbling is bliss in WE9, feints are even more evident here then they were in PES and when you do manage to trick defenders, theres no greater feeling.

Feints are key in WE9.

Grave Flowers said:

You cant score the way you want in winning eleven 9 anymore, you are forced to pass the whole game, you cant dribble, dribbling is the most important thing in any football games and its pretty fucked up in WE9, people think i say this because I didn't get used to it, I already got used to it from the previous versions, sidestep isn’t something new for me, I practiced a lot with it in PES4, and I found it pretty useless, and still it is useless in WE9, it is not something that should be used every time…

So don’t think you will get used to it, because it's not a matter of getting used to it or not, it's just pretty useless most of the time…

Elite thinks people can't play as good as in pes4 that’s why they are frustrated about the game, this is just so wrong, its not about playing good or bad, its about how to play the game the way you want….

I win most of the times when I play winning eleven 9 and I still don’t like it, because I win the same way in every single game, only from shooting out side the box or passing, and that’s it! I want some variety in game play! I don’t want to pass the whole fucking game!! I want to dribble sometimes too! And not using the worthless sidestep dribbling!

The dribbling system hasn't changed from the first version of winning eleven till winning eleven 8 livewire evolution! They shouldn’t have changed it!

Even after writing this, people will still think they have changed it for "realism "…

FilthyDani I know your still bitter but I find dribbling is about right, true you cant dribble through the whole team, but you can't in real life either but you can beat men well at least I can, at first I couldn't but with practise i now find it's about as realistic as your gonna get, sometime you get the better and sometimes the defender does.

Grave Flowers said:

Well, if u cant dribble in 4, then u got no chance in 5. People writ off PES4 last time and now people r still saying the same shit!!! with we9. Please try to work at your game before slagging the game off itself.

Class

Playing only WE8 over the past year, getting my hands on WE9 was simply refreshing. Playing it was a different story though... in a good way. My first impression, simply class. The game feels great and quite new. The dribbling, new animations, general control over your players, shooting, the way players collide, box out fighting for a long ball or pass. The game simply plays and looks different and more realistic. Excellent job Seabass.

I am jumping in at 5 Star right away of course. I have lost a few, won a few. A couple very close matches where I blew the lead, then lost at the last minute, man did that suck. I didn't feel cheated though, simply beat. Hear me out, I am always the first person to start ranting and complaining if I see flaws or something completely rediculous in a game. Watching my friends play FIFA, trust me, I ALWAYS am talking shit, Jesus, I do talk their ears off, they deserve it though for liking such rubish. Heh. Now, I simply shake my head at them, then calmly walk away thanking the gaming gods that there is something called Winning Eleven out there. This new installment seems excellent so far. No gripes yet except for the simple fact that I can't read Japanese still after playing the series since WE6.

My excuse, lazy American here. Oh well. \\:o/

As a side note, when playing those upgrade series between the WEs (PES and FEs or LEs), you do get that sense of, "Now what have they really done new to this game?". The jump from WE6 to WE7 was like that for me. Playing WE8, and now finally WE9 without the middle man games, you really see the improvements. Of course it "seems" like the game is a lot more difficult, but time always takes you higher on your learning curve. It's a simple fact of life, so enjoy the game folks.

On that note, I'm out! :salute:

Cheers.

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
Well this is the first time I've really posted about the new version, and despite trying and trying, I just don't think I like it at all. I cannot understand it, it just doesn't feel like a WE/PES game at all to me. I am having so much trouble creating chances, never before have I struggled to this degree. Ok in WE6 and earlier it was hard to create chances but at least I knew what I was doing wrong, in this I have no idea.

I can't dribble, period.

Pretty amazed by your opinion since we always seen eye to eye on WE terms. First of all let me say I'm also having much trouble with the new version, the first meeting with human friends I lost many games to friends I usually beat easely (you can easely imagine the kind of agravation I took :)) but I'm seeing things in a different point of view.

We REALLY HAVE TO PLAY SOCCER IN WE9. That's the main news to me (and maybe the reason why probably I won't be as good as I was cause I play crappy soccer in reallife :)). The game demands you to play good, complex, soccer. And that's veeeeery hard to do! This happens specially against humans since CPU is unfortunately too different once again compaired to human games.

Classic: watch some good past games of your Celtic or other team you admire tacticaly. Study the moves, the triangles, the options. Try to play that way and make a HUGE effort to forget the "mechanics" we have from so many years of WE. It pays off, I believe though it's very hard.

About dribbling - you can make beautiful dribbles but you have to go Pro Evo PSX style once again: changes in speed. Stop and run. Wait for the oposing defenders attack. I still play crap yet I manage to do 2,3 dribble runs in a human game with unbelievable dribles with only a wise choice of speed levers, turns and decisions, without using flip-flaps or roulettes. It looks and feels so great my friend.

I'm sure you'll find the pleasure of WE9. You just need to cope with the initial frustration that a lot of ppl may be having and feel it as a challenge. The game is suddently so complex and realistic, you really need to THINK this game.

Just got my copy of WE9 this morning. I have to say when I started playing I went into training and tried out the new moves. Pretty impressive. I couldn't figure out the dribbling on the spot, didn't work when I stop and then double tap R2 the player does a step over and then moves for some reason. I got it to work (don't know how!) but not as easy to do as in PES4.

The long passing seems lovely aswell as the shooting especially the volleys. I was still a bit disappointed though played first game on 5* and won 2-1, cpu didn't really attack me (Man Utd vs Real Madrid) but I have always found friendlies much easier than league or cup matches (plus I am using Man Utd in which Ferdinand is amazing at defending).

I can see what people say about the L1 and Triangle through ball seems to go quite far, but I have done a few nice ones. I think they have changed it for the better cause it was too easy to do in PES4.

I went back to PES4 there and played on 5* Man Utd vs Real Madrid again and I was amazed at the amount of space I got, no real closing down. WE9 is definitely harder. I still wish the cpu would attack a bit more, but I have only played a few friendlies. I haven't seen the cpu do many tricks either but I'm sure they will come.

Great game, it's always good to go back to PES4 to see how different it feels and I definitely wouldn't go back even though I find the dribbling on the spot a lot easier in PES4.

Enjoy the game.

Verbal Kint said:
WHAT DA....!?!?!?!????

FIRST THEY TRY MICHAEL JACKSON FOR KIDDY FIDDLING, AND NOW CLASSIC D (NOT KCET'S FINEST!?!???) SAYS HE DOESN'T LIKE THE BEST WINNING ELEVEN THERE HAS EVER BEEN!?!?!!!

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO????!!!

I'll say it one last time, Classic, forget about what's gone before, and approach WE9 as a brand new game.

I'll be here counting the days it takes before you retract your above statements. ;)

PS As mentioned by someone else, when it comes to dribbling, R2 and R1's usage has change.

PPS WHERE'S CW WRIGHT WHEN YOU NEED HIM???!

Hehe, now I didn't actually say "I don't like it", I said I don't think I like it as I haven't got to the stage of passing a final opinion on the game. ;)

Your advice about approaching it as a brand new game has helped, but mainly the posts various people made about how to receive passes regarding the d-pad, :r1: and :r2: have helped me improve the most. Just being able to receive the ball now and know what I'm doing has made a huge difference. Of course I'm still finding it hard, but now I'm scoring far more frequently than before (it wasn't uncommon in the last week for me to go many league games in a row without scoring). This evening I won 6 games in a row, with a couple of 2-0 wins, a 3-0 and even a 5-0 :shock: !

Mauras, I always respect your opinion on the series. Funnily enough, when I played it with a friend my experience was the same as your's, I didn't do well and became very frustrated. Next time I play him, I'll know how to receive a pass! :mrgreen:

One small gripe I have which perhaps strictly speaking doesn't come under gameplay mechanics, is the level of fatigue accumulated in a league mode. You really have to rotate your entire squad effectively to prevent burnout in a player. There are two ways of looking at that, one is to say well perhaps in previous versions it was wrong to just use the same players all the time without being penalised. The other side of the coin is 9 out of 10 teams in real life field a settled squad every week, and it's just not possible in WE9.

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
One small gripe I have which perhaps strictly speaking doesn't come under gameplay mechanics, is the level of fatigue accumulated in a league mode. You really have to rotate your entire squad effectively to prevent burnout in a player. There are two ways of looking at that, one is to say well perhaps in previous versions it was wrong to just use the same players all the time without being penalised. The other side of the coin is 9 out of 10 teams in real life field a settled squad every week, and it's just not possible in WE9.

I think that you have now to manage the fatigue during the match. Pressing all over the pitch for the whole match is ok for a friendly but you can't do it in a league. Slowing the tempo and passing the ball around is a good way to keep stamina and make the opposite team run after the ball. IMHO, this is giving more depth to the game.

Grave Flowers said:

dribbling is the most important thing in any football games … :(

Now really....? Hmmm... I always thought good passing and able to create chances were the most important things in footy games.

\\:o/

Teegran said:
I think that you have now to manage the fatigue during the match. Pressing all over the pitch for the whole match is ok for a friendly but you can't do it in a league. Slowing the tempo and passing the ball around is a good way to keep stamina and make the opposite team run after the ball. IMHO, this is giving more depth to the game.

i agree, totally...

i have changed how i play the game completely, now i pass the ball much more, from the midfield to the back, to the flanks and back and try to make the ball do the work.

this game is fOOking good... i loooove it

Can you see the players stanima as you are playing the game or only whne you pick the team? I can't see it when I am playing the game just wanted to know if I could set it up so I could see not to press r1 for certain players.

I dont do tricks during the game, I just pass it around sometimes look at the rader and do a long pass if I think it will be effective.

Another thing I got a pentaly earlier for a foul that appeared to be outside the box. I was just moving my left thumbstick and the player kicked the penalty and missed. I am assuming you can now just move the left thumbstick in the direction you want the penalty to go without having to press any buttons.

Grave Flowers said:

... you cant dribble, dribbling is the most important thing in any football games

A funny yet revealing sentence about your misconception about soccer. The problem is greater because there are many young players thinking like you, and I just hope konami doesn't concede to that. Soccer is 10% about dribbling and 90% about passing and colective effort. Even the best dribblers on hearth (who reached sucess) spent surely 95% of their careers ingame passing and looking for space and 5% dribbling. Dribbling is an option not a must.

Interesting. Lot slower, more realistic gameplay.

But it's nothing special. Same game, no real improvements and typical Konami retardedness when it comes to implementing features.

Great fun though, best football game - and worth playing and sticking with.

I didn't find it hard to settle into the swing of things though - the way some of you are talking was as if the gameplay had changed hugely? I'm straight from PES4 and I was perfectly fine and dribbling even better than I was in that game.

Seriously wtf is up here with so many differing perspectives.

The gameplay has changed drastically, maybe it's because of your style of play or because you didn't come from WE8LE that you found it easier.

I came from WE8LE and im already enjoying it alot more than other versions. Reasons being i find it alot more fluid and rather than goal-fests there are alot more tighter games.
Its all in personal taste but theres not much i can really complain about.

I seem to still have goalfests, I think that I make too many mistakes, but also crack a few!

I'm really loving this game now. This is the first time in any winning eleven series that the computer is a genuine challenge. Up until now it's been way to easy for me but now on 6 stars I never know if I'm gonna win lose or draw and I love that. This has always been my main gripe. I may actually not win the league every season. Doubtful but a possibility ;)

I have scored about 4 cracking goals in the past week since having the game. Hamman first time strike from 35 yards and Baros turning and doing a side scisor kick are my favourite goals.

Goalkeepers have been improved on one on one situations and I like the ability to be able to do a long throw to start a counter attack.

I have scored a few long shots and it seems the goalkeepers are too far off their line they stand on the 6 yard line which is why maybe I am scoring long shots. It might be more realistic and just me being a bit harsh.

Defenders much better positional sense, they man mark, no longer do strikers go through them, sliding tackles are better and the better defenders cut out the through balls. Only bad thing is the computer decides when my players should jump for defensive headers and to start with I gave too many free kicks away but I am better now.

Midfield good to see the game encouraging us to pass the ball more and not just dash from one end to the other all the time. I am pleased that you need to create a bit of magic to create a bit of space and not all midfielders are the same.
Some are good at dribbling, some good passers who wont underhit their pass and some strong who wont be knocked off the ball. When I start Master League I will have to look at who has good control etc rather than who has good pace like last time.

Attackers it is superb the way they can now hit shots on the volley and half volley. The shooting is just so much better I would not have been able to score half of my goals if this was PES4 because the players can now hit it first time so much better and the shots with inside of the foot .

Refs I dont mind just the advantage rule is not as good as PES4 because where as before he would wait see what develops he now just waits to see if I touch the ball and if I do I wont get a free kick regardless if I lose position with my next touch.

I played the game for a solid 7hours yesterday night together with 3 friends in 2 against 2 and I must say that it grows on you. We had superb play after about an hour and my friend scored in a 180 move with Beattie of Everton against Barcelona. I think the game is more football. A lot of people are saying the game is boring but Konami has once again made it more realistic. I could still live without the automatic sidestep though.

I just got the game and this is just some quick first-impression. I came straight from WE8 and are using the D-pad.

I have only played one game, RealMadrid (me) against Chelsea on 5*. To my big surprise it wasn't difficult to learn how to play the game.

The game has changed for the better and the biggest surprise for me was, that it wasn't even difficult to play on 5*, I actually won 1-0 on a header from Zidane.

I really don't think the referee is bad either, it's just about timing, timing and timing when you are defending and having the ball. It's not hard to dribble either and but the player collisions are awesome!

Real quick I think this is indeed a perfect game for my taste and it is the best footie game ever made. Thank you Konami and keep up the good work - I appreciate it.

BTW: That auto-sidestepping isn't a problem for D-Pad users, but you can make it with the D-Pad, it's just about timing again. There's some slow-down, but not major and I haven't seen the crowd problem yet, but as said, I have only played one match. The R2 shooting is cool too, and I actually find the free-kicks harder than in WE8.

I'm going to download your OF's and patches now, so I wanna thank Konami and the WE community for such a big effort! :)

Caniggia said:
I played the game for a solid 7hours yesterday night together with 3 friends in 2 against 2 and I must say that it grows on you. We had superb play after about an hour and my friend scored in a 180 move with Beattie of Everton against Barcelona. I think the game is more football. A lot of people are saying the game is boring but Konami has once again made it more realistic. I could still live without the automatic sidestep though.

Caniggia, you should become a DJ or maybe a remix producer... COZ YOU'VE CHANGED YOUR TUNE! ;)

WELCOME! *patiently awaits the other nay sayers*

Aye,I've said it once, I'll say it again. Any decent player that gives this game the proper time and attention, soon realise what depth they've added to it again. It started off feeling like a one man mission to convert everybody. Now the religion is taking off, soon WE9 will become the new faith ;-D

Negatrev said:
Aye,I've said it once, I'll say it again. Any decent player that gives this game the proper time and attention, soon realise what depth they've added to it again. It started off feeling like a one man mission to convert everybody. Now the religion is taking off, soon WE9 will become the new faith ;-D

AMEN, HALLELUJAH!! PREACHER, PREACH ON!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom