Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

filthydani said:
It has nothing to do about "realism", They only made it like that because PSP users can play against PS2 users

I expected your comment :).

As angry as you can be there are 3 truths you can't avoid, and mind this: I also used R2 sidestep very rarely previously, but have a different approach on this:

1 - the Sidestep "feint" is a move done by any player over and over in a game. It's the simple move of puling the ball aside to gain angle for pass, shot or progression. A basic move belongs in the basic actions done by a player in WE, even if we didn't use it previously.

2 - Although I used it rarely, sidestep was very efficient in midfield, not as a feint itself but as a way of gaining time and momentum, often I saw strikers reaching nice positions after I done that, so, like in realife, sidestap was a good way of gaining better passing or progression options.

3 - You still have a simple way of, instead of sidestepping, progress up or down 90º. Just halt the ball with R1 and progress up or down. Simple.

i think we9 is the muts nuts.....what an improvement..player dynamics are fantastic

and keepers have improved also....can't wait for the first patch

I had to read 8 pages of this thread before I had the faintest idea what this new automatic dribble R2 whatever thingy was all about. I still don't fully understand it, though. It's a shame about the goalies still being a bit silly looking but I really want to know if the CPU still takes bad free kicks, as it has since Pes2 at least. Shame I can't ask questions here but I wont. Also why did they keep the throw ins like that, I'd heard they were going to change them back to controlling the receiver.

I can't wait to play this, shame to have to wait for Pes5, but that's life, Life's a bitch and then you have to wait for Pes...

Bring back that guy with the SICK comments. I love to read his stuff, no matter how ILL and SICK and SICKILL it gets!

and keepers have improved also

Hardly. :roll:

I still don't fully understand it, though

It's even more difficult to understand why Konami did it. Trust me, it's difficult to explain because it annoys some people more than others. It depends on whether you use analog and d-pad and whether you dribble by pace or by cutting in and out etc. I have found with time you can learn how to minimise it but it's still a shame.

wait for Pes5, but that's life,

It will be worth the wait, it's a quality game despite a few bad issues (but hey, this is Konami - they always have to do something to piss you off :lmao: )

first good %100 completed patch imo will be out in mid september or october

It's even more difficult to understand why Konami did it. Trust me, it's difficult to explain because it annoys some people more than others. It depends on whether you use analog and d-pad and whether you dribble by pace or by cutting in and out etc. I have found with time you can learn how to minimise it but it's still a shame.

That cleared it up for me... well, not really, but thanks for trying!

I have always played with the left stick, as I do for all games, I have the hands of a man and that damn d-pad is just too small! I don't use R2 that much, my favourite dribble is the super R1-R2 dribble, going between 2 defenders with that one is bliss.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Isslander said:
That cleared it up for me... well, not really, but thanks for trying!

I have always played with the left stick, as I do for all games, I have the hands of a man and that damn d-pad is just too small! I don't use R2 that much, my favourite dribble is the super R1-R2 dribble, going between 2 defenders with that one is bliss.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

It's pretty simple really, if you are running straight and suddenly turn to the right, instead of how it used to be it now does a sidestep instead (what used to be R2 + direction). It's worse with the analog stick for some reason, so analog users will find that when they first start playing they see tons and tons and tons of sidesteps which made me totally mad to start with. (and other people still mad hehe) I am starting to get used to it though, although I still think the sidestep animation is hideous - period.

This might clear it up as well, look at Recoba turning, every sharp turn is a "sidestep", really dissapointing. Terrific goal though. :applause:

http://rapidshare.de/files/3655370/MOV10005.MPG.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it today and I think it's awesome. Not too sure of the Wide Camera and Angel 9. Sometimes I feel you lose sight of the ball and the path its going on.

I also think that the ref's are really petty and give too many free kicks, kinda slows the game down even further. I really like the way faster players can get away from defenders as well and some of the finishing is superb.

The free kick method is also an improvement as you can really bend the ball. Scored a cracker with Nakamura already.

Top Top game!

I also think that the ref's are really petty and give too many free kicks

That really bugs me, I think it differs with referees though. One match I swear you couldn't even touch the opponent, the next match I was flying in and the ref was letting the game flow.

ok so any body converted all the player os most into english yet ?

Today i played with Liverpool..It was 89' and i have corner(Ai leed 1:0)...I passed the ball and in the AI penalty area was my goalkeeper dudek trying to score...Great

the wait is gettin harder with all the posts iv been reading. too bad they havent revamped the graphics, hope the pitches are better tho, cant stand the ones in pes4 with the grass growin in all those weird shapes (reminds me of crop circles). why couldnt konami just make it plain ?
Isslander that post about usin the R1-R2 2 run right between defenders REALLY got me, its one of the many things iv never been able 2 do in the game. its really irritatin, i would go out play a game in real life and be able 2 do or atleast try out any move/feint/shot watever, that i can possibly imagine, we're not constrained.then when i go back home and play pes4 i find that there's a lot of the real world fluidity thats missing (like havin 2 use supercancel to change the direction my striker is runnin to latch on 2 a thru ball, SHIT), which used 2 put me off the game for months,know wat i mean? just hope the controls are smoother and there's better control over movement

Last edited by a moderator:
u lot are all lucky having this game oh well looks like ill have to wait for pes5

Ove Kindvall said:
I love this game, to my opinion it's the best footy game ever(till now).
I think everything is already mentioned in earlier posts, but I want to share one thing:
During the game I made a foul, the ref gives advantage and at the same time I see a blue square with a "!" in the upper left corner, after about 10 seconds the ref blows his whistle and runs to a player who is injured on the ground, the player is carried from the pitch and the ref continues the play with a drop ball

If you play the ball over the sideline to give the player injury treatment you get the ball back from one of the opponent players.

Getting the 95% patched version tomorrow :D cant wait for it....the new boot editor looks quality...anyone know where theres screenshots of it? The kit editor also looks brilliant-cant wait to have a go at it :)

Right this is waitin for me at home but got to play alot in Akihabara yesterday hope this has all not been mentioned before but anyways. The first thing i noticed about WE9 is there are so many extra animations for heading, players etc as mentioned it is slower even more so than WE8:LE but that's a good thing imo as more decision making time. It seems harder to dribble with the ball but i had no trouble skinning people, human and computer with Robben n Duffers Chelsea. It does seem harder to score than previous vers as i only had 0-0 and 1-0 with Barca, Inter n Portugal but i put it on 4 and 5 stars maybe this will change as i play it more as always though.

This game again really comes into it's own against a human oppenent. I had the fortune to play a Japanese guy who was very good and the game was so enthralling end to end stuff and the tactics involved when playing him and descision making was ace. All in all without going too deep as some people can do that better than i can. Improves on previous vers as always my only minor gripe after playing is the side steppin, which now seems possibly with just up and down can become annoying but only minor gripe.

Some of you are pathetic.
I was just dissapointed that they put AEK out.And the shooting system is complicated that makes many people angry.If you are diagonally e.g. close to the goal and press square and your player shoots and doesnt make a slow shoot it make me angry.....
Thats all.I didnt tell that the game isnt awesome.....

dont know wether its been mentioned yet, but ever tried playing Milan vs Inter?

SUPER ATMOSPHERE!

Well, just played about 10 games and would like to share my thoughts on the game.
In general, this has to be the best football game i have played so far, and i feel that the improvement over the previous instalment is the greatest yet.

Pros:
+ Most importantly, I find that the physics are much improved. In particular, the players seem much more solid. You cannot run through players anymore.

Either you get blocked by the player, or you end up fouling him. Makes it much more convincing. Tough players like Viera are hard to knock over.
+ heading and chesting... much more realistic
+ dribbling... i use D-pad, so have no problems with the auto-sidestep... much more challenging... the difference between using carraghar and C. Ronaldo is very obvious. Requires more skill than before, and actually encourages passing more than dribbling
+ AI defense... harder to break down and block shots... well done Konami
+ notice in general that there is a clear differentiation between good and bad players. Stats seem to make a bigger difference
+ editor is far better in nearly all aspects... more detailed and flexible for all areas...
+ GK throws allow for quick counterattacks. In general, I see more one handed saves... altho the top corner saves need to be ONE-HANDED (come on Konami!!!)
+ Defending is harder... in WE8LE, I could close my eyes and just press [] + O, and i would almost always win the ball. Now the AI hold s the ball better, and dribbles better. Reminds me of playing WE5, when passing was more important than dribbling.
+ GKs seem better to me, altho others have complained. Save more shots... stand still far less often, unless there is a powerful shot or they are unsighted
+ Crowd more responsive on counter-attacks
+ Overall menu presentation cleaner
+ snow is nice addition, although I hope it appears once in every 100 matches...
+ R2 shot is excellent addition, but proves only useful for skilled players with correct attributes... perfect
+ i actually liek the fact that X passes sometimes are inaccurate and the receiver has to adjust for it... it happens in real football. I notice that tapping the X for short passes is very accurate... longer presses lead to more inaccuracy... genius
+ Japan 2006 addition is ok... bit of a gimmick
+ player ratings are brilliant now... make sense... love it when GKs win man of the match awards
+ new crowd and cut-scene animations more varied
+ new ref animations during play (when signalling for a throw on or foul) + player animations smoother
+ gfx in general much sharper
+ FKs easier... which i think is a good thing.. WE8LE was too hard ( now i score about 1 in 15 shots...). Also, at least the AI can score FKs now.
+ receiving the ball, need to turn away from opponent more... much better.
+ momentum... terrific... can actually burst past players
+ realistic catch-up... you can slowly catch up with players if you are a fast player, but never feel like its cheating as in previous WEs.
+ slide tackling is shorter, so you have to be more accurate. Also less likely to hack the player's leg off.
+ BY FAR THE MOST REALISTIC VERSION YET... FEELS LIKE FOOTBALL
+ difference between good and bad teams more pronounced
+ new fair-play logic is great attention to detail
+ possibility of "delayed" injury after a player has been knocked down previously, or even if the player has not been tackled, e.g. after shooting, he could strain a muscle... this is the FIRST time in ANY football game that developers have included such logic. It's really amazing, but Konami have not been given enough credit.. this really serves to increase the realism

Cons
- L1 + /\ seems to go too far ahead and too high power (do you need to just tap the /\ button???)
- Stupid to remove the crowd in wide view... I had very little slowdown in WE8LE anyway.
- Need a true widescreen mode (though i recommend using wide-view + Angle 9 + using "Widezoom" on the plasma)
- nets (ok .. not as good as Football Kingdom... but still not bad IMO)

So far, loving the new challenge!!!

After reading some of the comments on this section, I didn't know what to expect but having played the game my first impressions are that this game is top class. I think is such a step up from WE8 LE - the gameplays improved, the AI is spot on, there's a greater range of shots & the animations have been overhauled. I don't think the pace of the game is slower but you do have to play a patient build up game, even some of the lesser teams play keep-ball. I've always founs that on the harder levels, even level 6 that it was too easy to win but even on 3 stars, the CPU will give a good game. This is definately the Winning Eleven that i've been waiting for. I don't why people having been picking faults with this cos i thinks it's spot on & i haven't really palyed it in depth.

The only thing which I'm not liking as much is fouls, many fouls on basic usage of x, and although fouls are frequent in real life soccer even in "X" challenges the truth is that WE9 gives some fouls to chalenges that aren't animated to look as a foul.

Other than that having loads of fun with the game.

My impressions of WE9 after a few days

I've been playing WE9 for a few days now (since Friday) and I'm kinda surprised about it.
I like the game, let that be clear. But I do have the feeling that I have to relearn the game when it comes to dribbling and passing... I think it's more realistic though, but I do have to adjust my playing style. So it'll take a little bit of time before I'm able to play on the level that I've been playing PES4.
So my experiences based on 10/15+ games against another human player (usually AC Milan versus AC Milan) on 5*'s can be found beneath.
I never play ML and only play friendly matches against the computer if I want to practice. I usually play just against my friends, because that's the most fun to me. And usually we play w/ the standard clubs or countries (AC Milan, Brazil, Barcelona, Arsenal, France, Real Madrid). So now you know my background as to what type of usage I get from PES/WE.

So the things I've noticed:

Overall:
+ The balance between dribbling and defending is much better. In PES4 it was too easy to dribble past defenders. Now, it's still possible, but you'll have to anticipate your opponents moves even more!
+ Overall I feel that you have more control over your players. For example: pressuring my opponents backs w/ my 3 forwards is much more useful, intercepting a pass is easier.
+ Defensive AI is a lot better.
+ You can really notice the difference between a good player and a bad player. E,g,: defenders are really slow to turn on the spot, as opposed to e.g. Kaka whos a lot quicker.
+ Offside is implemented so that you'll only be offside if the player touches the ball. A really good implementation in my opinion! This means that you can stop a player in his tracks if you see he is actually offside and use another player to run after the ball!
+ Advantage rule is implemented better than in PES4. Getting a card or seeing an injured player taken off will occur after advantage has not been used. Advantage rule is so much better.
+ Injuries will not only occur after a sliding tackle, but also by straining a muscle after shooting, or after being pushed over w/ an X nudge. Inzaghi is more prone to injuries than he has been before ;)
+ Players don't turn on the spot anymore. There's a bit more delay. You can use this to your advantage in both offensive terms (know that a defender can't turn on the spot) and defensive turns (a player w/ the ball can't immediately go past ya).
- Keepers are not very good. Even Dida has problems w/ shots from outside the box. He'll usually knock 'em corner and not grab the ball w/ two hands.

Running/dribbling:
+ A lot harder then in PES4!!! When you turn 180 degrees, they skid a little bit because they're not able to stop immediately, especially when running w/ R1. So this means that players don't stop the ball immediately when you turn.
+ Using R2 gives you a LOT more control, compared to dribbling w/ out R1 or R2. Big difference means other usage. Default dribbling is a lot harder now (seems as if players make one more step while dribbling).
+ You can't just run, run, run anymore when you have the ball. You have to find a new balance between running w/ R1 and just walking around. The default sidestep w/out R2 helps in this.
+ New controls when receiving the ball w/ R1 or R2. Receiving w/ R1 means knocking the ball forward (as was the case w/ R2 in PES4). Receiving w/ R2 means control (as was the case w/ standard receiving in PES4).
-/+ Some players will have to relearn how to walk/run w/ the ball and how to do tricks. For me this is something which I'll have to relearn. This control system is more consistent w/ the buttons (R1 being really fast running, so also faster acceptance and R2 giving more control).

Passing:
+ More realistic passing. Not every X pass ends up in your players feet. You have to position yourself really well and pay attention to where your opponents are to give a good pass.
+ Through balls w/ Triangle are also a bit faster in my opinion. Use wisely.
- L1 + Triangle passes are hard to use. In PES4 I used it quite often, but in WE9 the passes go way too hard and end up in the keepers hands.
- Triple tap w/ O doesn't work that often anymore :( But I found it too easy in PES4 actually.
- Throwing the ball w/ the goalie isn't that safe anymore. You'll have to watch out w/ throwing the ball because it'll often lead to a throw to a player who's covered by a forward who'll be able to take the ball quite easily.

Heading:
+ Much more control over heading. Using R2 is much more useful.
+ I feel that heading is more precise. I can now control more which way my player will head the ball w/ X.

Shooting:
+ Shooting from outside the box is much easier. You can really blast 'em in the goal if there are no opponents around. In PES4 I almost never shot from outside the box, but because it usually ended up in the scramble or against one of my own players.
+ Lobs (w/ L1) are much better to control. If you only tap it like in PES4 the ball goes really slow and low and definitely in the hands of the keeper. You can use the bar just like a normal shot which means you have to press Square longer.

Free kicks:
+ More as in PES3, perhaps even EASIER than PES3... Way easier then PES4. PES4 was too difficult in my opinion, so tackling somebody and giving up a free kick wasn't that much of a problem. But now you have to be a lot more careful again.
+ New control system (selecting a player w/ R2 and passing to your shooter w/ L1 + X) is a lot better than the controls in PES4.
+ Bar when passing short w/ X. Now your opponent will not know whether you're gonna give a high pass w/ O or just a short pass w/ X.
- When getting a free kick around the midfield, your players will not be standing near the opponents box. They'll hang in between both the box and the midfield. So a O pass for a header isn't really possible. You have to wait longer for them to walk to the box.

Corners:
+/- Same as in PES4 in my opinion. But again the bar is seen when giving a low ball w/ X.

Defending:
+ Best ever controls! I feel like I control the player, as opposed to the control system in PES4. If I'm now running behind somebody, I"ll know that pressing X will lead to a soft tackle/nudge w/ the player falling down and getting a free kick, but w/out a yellow/red card!
- Using X leads too easy to penalties and sometimes makes your player slide tackle. A bit too much perhaps.
-/+ Some players will have to relearn how to defend. Pressing and holding X will lead to a lot of free kicks given which can be frustrating. YOu'll have to learn to walk near your player and only use X when in front of the player. For me it hasn't been much of a problem, but for my friend it has been.

Throw-ins:
- Same bad control system as in PES4. I liked the PES3 system better where you controlled the player in the field and not the thrower.

Graphics:
+ Much more detail in movement. New moves added (e.g. tapping the ball away from a defender w/ the outside of the boot)
+ More detail in player-faces (not that I care or anything).
+/- Better looking menu's, but I could not care less. It's all about the gameplay in my opinion.

Sounds:
+/- Can't really compare it to PES4, since there's Japanese commentary. Sound effects are about the same (haven't noticed any big improvements or anything).

CONCLUSION:
I think Konami have made a lot of differences in the game, especially when it comes down to playing the offensive game. I think it's a BIG improvement (more realistic) over PES4, but this DOES mean that some people will have to relearn the game. The improvements on the defensive end are also huge. So there's a good balance between offense and defense I think.
I can't make a 100% accurate judgement of course, since I haven't played the game as often as PES4, but for now it seems like a good improvement.
But don't think that you can pick this game up and play on the same level as PES4. You'll to put some time and effort in it, to adjust to the new controls...

I'm beginning to like it more, after a few more matches. Still don't get the L1+Triangle pass, has anyone managed to actually use it? It seems completely useless to me.
Good review, alot of the comments are encouraging to those still becoming aquainted with the new system!

Sulph said:
ive done the L1 Triangle over the keeper!

what haven't you done yet?! :D By following your video posting I'm starting to worry about your health, you have probably been playing WE9 non stop since the release day! :D ;)

Another issue that isn't that realistic but is nevertheless a good welcome feature in making CPU games a bit more challenging is the CPU accuracy in frontal sided freekicks. No matter how much you jump with the wall or triangle with the keeper the CPU seems to get an awsome load of freekicks in from these angles. 90% of the goals I've taken against CPU are freekicks and corners. Maybe a bit exagerated but it was about time that games vs CPU were a bit more challenging.

Back
Top Bottom