Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

analogue stick for dribbling still there?

hi all, this is the 1st time im postin but iv been readin for a long time now. just want 2 say thanks 2 all u guys who posted ur thoughts, feels great that konami have made improvements all round, cant wait 2 get my hands on it.

just want 2 know tho whether u have 2 use the dpad for dribbling or whether u can use the analogue stick if u want 2??? hope u can cause i find that a LOT more smoother while dribbling...

later

Re: analogue stick for dribbling still there?

central said:
hi all, this is the 1st time im postin but iv been readin for a long time now. just want 2 say thanks 2 all u guys who posted ur thoughts, feels great that konami have made improvements all round, cant wait 2 get my hands on it.

just want 2 know tho whether u have 2 use the dpad for dribbling or whether u can use the analogue stick if u want 2??? hope u can cause i find that a LOT more smoother while dribbling...

later

Hey man, post this in the WE9 Q&A thread instead.

My major gripe so far is the side drag move being executed by pressing up or down on the analog stick if you are moving left/right. I find that when I'm trying to evade defenders, especially when setting up for a shot, I side drag all over the place. I think there may be a way around this, but so far I haven't found it. Alot of people have said that the game plays slower than WE8LE. Maybe its because the cpu defense doesn't pressure as much. But I've found that the pace seems faster. The players seem to react faster to the ball, if not run faster all together. Also, the hard pass (hold X) has more pace. As a result, if so inclined, a player can push the ball up at a fast pace. Slowdown. Ahh, the dreaded slowdown. Well, the only noticeable instances for me occur during free kicks. So no major issue. I think any gamer who plays WE8LE or WE9 enough eventually adapts to any slowdown, to the point where it doesn't detract from any pleasure derived from the game. One final observation on slowdown. It may be worse when snow is on the pitch. Haven't played enough to decide.

On a positive front, AI seems better. Players react to ball quicker, especially on defense. In WE8LE, when an opponent kicked the ball up in front of an attacker, my defender was often out of position, and had to recover a lot of ground. This happened quite often on passes to the sides. Now, I've notice that defenders mark more closely, and often beat the attacker to balls passed to sides. Sometimes, though my players intercepted too many balls. While playing on 4 stars, Arsenal vs Chelsea(cpu), Chelsea repeatedly kicked the ball right to my defenders or my defenders would quickly react and steal the ball. Since I haven't played dozens of games or vs many teams, I can't make a judgement yet. I like the longer throws by goalies. Good for setting up devastating counter-attacks. I haven't made up my mind on the ground passes, executed by tapping or holding X. I'm leaning more toward WE8LE's ground passes, but time with WE9 will tell. Free kicks seem easier to me as well. While practicing with Henry, I was able to score quite often from 30 meters out at angles. Instead of aiming ball in the middle of the wall, like in WE8LE, I would aim between the last two guys on outside. So, theoretically, if hit completely straight the ball would be wide of goal by several feet. From a FK on the right side, even if I pressed right or up diagonal right, the ball would curl to corner post, instead of sailing wide, like in WE8LE. Aiming is definitely more lenient. I hope that for WE9 Final Evolution, if that's what it's called, will incorporate a FK system with difficulty between WE8LE and WE9. I haven't scored many goals yet. Still getting used to controls/dribbling. The defense appears better as well. I will have to adapt to new controls and adjust my style a little and I'm confident the goals will come. I did score one nice screamer from 30m out with Ljungberg using R2. I was outside the box on right side, lined up with right line, and the ball curled to left corner post. Nice. Another change I like about WE9 is that now you can hold off defenders much more effectively with R1. The player leans over further holding his ground. Using Ljungberg I was able to hold off defenders until I drew a foul. In WE8LE Ljunberg would fall over if pushed.

All in all its a good game. Initially, I'm a little more discouraged about certain features than I was with WE8LE. More playing time will determine which version I like more. If WE9 Final Evolution goes back to the R2 side drag and fuses components from both games, watch out baby! Keeping my fingers crossed.

One more tid bit. I think I noticed a couple of new moves. The first happened during a match. I still don't no how I executed it. I was running to the right, near the lower sideline and intended to stop (by pressing R1) and then do crossovers (pressing R2 2x). Im not sure what I pressed, but my player suddenly jumped a 180 degree turn, with his back now facing opponents goal, shielding the ball.. Then he quickly turned another 180 degrees (facing right again), pushed the ball out and ran forward. Strange. The second move occurred during training with Henry. Now this move might only be done by certain players. I tried it with another player and he couldn't do it. Here's the move. Run right, then stop by pressing R1. I quickly tap R2 or L1 3x and Henry pushed the ball forward, feinted to his right, then came back over the ball and executed stepovers. Sometimes it doesn't work, but I've done it many times. The L1 version is exaggerated. Henry moves quicker and pushes the ball forward more. I never tried the second move in WE8LE, so I'll see it it can be done. Peace and good gaming.

Last edited:
I know it's been mentioned, but I really, really am having a hard time coming to grips with the missing crowd.

It should be mentioned that the crowd issue occurs not only in wide view, but also in the normal - medium and normal-far views. It also occurs in the vertical camera views.

Now, I don't know whether most people don't play in English stadia or what, but it's particularly jarring in the tighter grounds and oddly enough it really is spoiling the game a bit for me. I'm glad most people don't seem to find it a bother, but as has been said, it's really rather inexcusable that a 4th generation PS2 game can't manaage to render a crowd and 23 men at the same time without slowing to a crawl... It's particularly bad given that games like Madden are able to do far more than that whilst maintaining a smooth framerate.

For the integrity of the series I seriously hope Konami sort it out for PES5 on Xbox.

Last edited:
I missed out WE8LE but I'm finding the game soooo slooow, i think this will take quite a bot of getting used to.

My first impressions after 5 games are:

Pace - counts for nothing. Pass some one with Owen, Ronaldo (both) you'll be caught within 5 strides from the opp.

Dribbling - will have to learn all over again, R2 technique just aint there anymore. Does look more realistic but sick of running a someone and just bouncing of them!

Freekicks - didnt get to many but look as may be back to the old good style.

Fouls - had to stop playing or I would have broke something. Just foul after foul, I gave one away by passing the ball!?!?

Keepers - wow, left standing by great shots, waving a missing shot away. Looking great.

Crowd - (missing) Wierd but understandable.

Shooting - you earn the space on this version, you get to punish people. Scored a few screamers, once I finally got into space (20 - 30 yards out).

Passing - Still gettting used to it, the like of Brazil and co should not miss each other with a 5 yard pass.

Very different from Pro evo 4 but I will give it the due attention until i can finally decide what i think of this game.

Hope this helps people.

I was playing with Real Madrid , Owen got a knock in the 1st half ... mid way through second half he started hobbling and had to come off!!

WICKED stuff , couldnt believe it :D

ActionHank said:
For the integrity of the series I seriously hope Konami sort it out for PES5 on Xbox.

They will prob sort it 4 PES5 on PS2 as well but if they put crap crowd in people will complain also!

Can anyone explain to me this missing crowd issue? And if you choose no crowd, there isn't anyone at the stadium? You have to play in silence?

i think this issue with the missin crowd is a bug, not the way to reduce slowdowns. cause i don't think u need much resources of ps2 to render 2-d sprites... so hopefuly this stupid thing will be sorted out in pes5, at least for pc...

as all WE series r... that's why they release PES, 3 month later ))

Last edited:
wicked game , didnt noticed any real annoying ''bugs'' (so far)
i love the way how they changed the dribble , its harder to keep that ball stick on youre feet , also love the longshots , this will be a good footie year for me 8)
o , yeah and filthydani , smoke a joint dude! you def need one :roll:

de groeten!

Ok. I play a few games yesterday and i can tell that i really like the game!!!
Now, if you like to play slowly , passing the ball and waiting the best moment to try a offensive play, you really can do that. The players moving around the pitch trying to find a good position to receive the ball and don´t run always despaired in direction to goal, making that you have that passing the ball really fast to avoid that your player get in offside position. This things make that the pace of the game being more slower that the previous versions and this is really fantastic to me!!!!!!!!!!
The animations are fantastic and the passes are really beautiful to see.
But the games have problems in my opinion . There is slowdown in the wide camera in angle 7. I play in the yokohama stadium and the crosses and freekicks always with slows(damn!!). I didn´t like the way the camera get to distant when the ball is the opposite side of the screen . the players get really small and it´s difficult to play!!! I liked the way wide camera was in we8le. The other thing is the pitch still bad to me. In some stadiums is difficult to see the ball in wide cam and it´s impossible to me play with other camera. But a patch always fix that, and this will not be a problem .
Well, the other things like shot and header, and crosses, already been talked here, but just to relate, I´m thinking that crosses are finding the striker a bit to easy, but I can see tis when I play versus a human player!!
To finalize, the game have problems to me, but it´s a wonderful game!!! I really need to play more and I´m waiting anxious for a patch, specially because of the pitch.

SORRY FOR THE BAD ENGLISH!!! I´m brazilian!!!!

filthydani said:
defensive midfielders (DMF) are supposed to be in the center, no where else

if WB isnt a defensive side midfielderwhy then why is it only used in the midfield? (i am talking about the game, forget about real life)

You can attack in the sides from LM AND WG!(IN THE SAME SIDE), but when it comes to defending, you can only defend with one player (WB/SB)... i dont know how hard it is to understand this...

if there is nothing you can say to me then why bothering with if from the first place? you could have ignored it? its not that hard really, if you dont like, you should go away

I will post another message to complain about the time i'll have to await PES 5
but i must tell you that i didnt react before dani
indeed, it seemed to me the automatic sidestep would be annoying
but people told there are alternative sollutions like double-tapping (not easy in diagonal) and after reflection, look at real football players they make 90° turn with internal and external face of the feet (like zidane), so it seems natural (sorry people for my bad english)

but my point is that you tell bullshit when you say side-midfielders are never defensive morron : look at this inter line-up i will play if figo comes and recoba stays

toldo

cordoba samuel materazzi

J. zanetti

C. zanetti cambiasso

veron

figo recoba

adriano

it's just a matter of whether you play with 3 defensive midfielders or not

at lyon we played next season with this defensive midfield

diarra
essien juninho

so, think prior to sink (it sucks, i know)

do someone seriously give the crowd thing a fuck ?
as for me, i would not give it a fuck even if all games were played without a single people in the stadium !!!

played it for a few hours last night! the overall experience is that it's better than we8le, IMO!

pros:

- better movement! player (cpu and user controlled, seem to move "different" compared 2 we8le)

- using the chest (goals can be scored that way)

- menu loading times (editor is faster)

- redone animations (looks all kinda new/advanced)

- better 1 on 1 challange between field player

cons:

- still a few slowdowns (from hd)

- r2 sidestep is gone (i need 2 get used 2 it, not that important)

thats just a few points. need to get some rest now. but i think it's a step forward and konami did a good job. maybe i'll (we'll) find some other stupid stuff but, do not keep on searching for that sh**, KEEP ON PLAYIN'!!! ...and enjoy the pretty things about we9!

dalessandro said:
but my point is that you tell bullshit when you say side-midfielders are never defensive morron : look at this inter line-up i will play if figo comes and recoba stays

Do you have the Pes5 manual?

Can you please tell me what it says about the LMF position?

I will read it for you.

SMF:SIDE MIDFIELDER:ATTACKS FROM THE WINGS. and thats it.

you cant defend LMF with LMF! <- if people don't get that, its like this, DMF defends OMF, CB defends CF, SB defends WG, but what position defends the LMF? same LMF? CMF doesn't defend the sides, Read the manual.

So if i am playing against some one who attacks with LMF and WG, i cant defend with just one Side back / wing back.

I hope i made my point about this, and this will be the last time i am going to talk about it.

And about the auto side step, they just did it for the bloody PSP, its so pathetic when I hear people say (the new dribbling is more realistic) and stupid shit like that, because dribbling wouldn't be the same way as it is now if the PSP didn't EXIST!

filthydani said:
Do you have the Pes5 manual?

Can you please tell me what it says about the LMF position?

I will read it for you.

SMF:SIDE MIDFIELDER:ATTACKS FROM THE WINGS. and thats it.
What you're quoting is only the first draft of a PES5 manual, I wouldn't base my statements on that.

filthydani said:

you cant defend LMF with LMF!

I'm sorry but I don't agree. If you want you SMF's to defend more just increase their defensive awareness in the 'individual' menu when doing the team selection....sorted!

Like last year I leave my review of the new version, a bit long but adressing all the stuff I consider important. Cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review:
Winning Eleven 9: what WE8/PES4 should have been

This is the final impression I get after some games on the new WE9. I’ll start by the “superficial” graphical talk and then move on to what really matters: playability.

Graphs are equal but…

The change is minimal in graphical terms. Nevertheless, as mentioned here before, you can spot a clearer overall image, specially in “wide” camera mode, in which you got some flickering kits in WE8LE. Everything looks sharper now, which is a good omen for the editing kings. It’s pitty Konami didn’t bring back the “vanished” tight kit 3d models from we7Int, once again we are unable to recreate correctly tight kits (eg: Kappa), different sized shorts, etc. The “love or hate it” night gloss on players and kits remains, I personally hate it, makes players look like porcelain dogs. The new “snowy” pitch is great, but editors have an opportunity to make things better by making the snow ball a bit more visible.

Wide camera rocks again but the radar is still there…

Many WE fans were disappointed with the “wide” camera in the previous version. Konami seems to have corrected this issue, reintroducing the “old school” wide view, that allows a better tactical view of what’s happening, especially if you fix the camera angle. The radar remains irremovable but this new “wide” view let’s old time veterans that look at the radar as a ridiculous feature to once again draw magnificent plays without having to recur to this “Top Gun” style feature.

The end of amateur defending...

I now start talking about game play. Being such a perfectionist and pessimist towards konami and WE I immediately checked all the stuff I thought to be wrong in the previous version, especially in defensive play. Who hasn’t experienced endless moments of amateur defensive movement, with unstoppable high through passes that left your CBs nailed to the ground or defenders that sat down drinking a beer and leaving the opposing striker completely onside when the remaining defence was doing their job correctly? Seems like that stuff has ended or at least been reduced to the realistic levels seen in professional soccer. Trough passes seem to maintain their status as dangerous solutions but now demand a more intelligent timing and decision to really “make it happen”, since defenders seem to do their homework better in anticipating this kind of passes. The whole defensive process seems better, with the defence working better together than in the previous version. Defensive gaps and huge mistakes keep happening but they now seem much more related to the human controller options than to the natural “appetite for disaster” that the previous version’s AI seemed to hunt down.

Crossing: so good to see it back…

Another issue I quickly checked was obviously crossing and offensive headers. “Surgical” positioning is still needed to deliver deadly headers but crossing seems much dangerous and efficient now, with all kinds of crosses and situations taking place, thus lowering the feeling of “why do I even bother” one had when playing wide in the previous version. In defensive terms the game now demands the same kind of good positioning to defenders that it demands to attackers when going for a high ball, adding some justice to the equation. This results in interesting and unpredictable game situations and goals that leave a greater taste to the person that scores them or the gamer that prevents them.

Passing: less auto, more human…

Passing also presents some significant changes. Now every time you take a free kick with X you get a power bar. This is very important in avoiding the past feeling of “Russian roulette” in taking an harmless free kick in your own defensive midfield. Now you have a greater sense of control over where your pass goes. Another important change is the high trough pass angle and strength, which now varies according to each situation. Eg: if you aim to put a hight through ball to a striker 50m away the ball will gain more height and strength than for example a high through pass performed by your right back to your right winger who is only 10,15 m away. Beauty. Overall the pass feels less automatic and more realistic, with less “unstoppable passing roulette” among players but more variety and adaptation to each situation.

The pleasing shoot…

Shooting has also gained complexity which backs up a greater satisfaction in scoring memorable goals.. and boy does WE9 allow great goals, as some web hoested examples already show. The new “R2” shot allows a more controlled shot with the inside of foot, with better ball placement and less power, an important option in many situations, from well prepared outside shots to 1 vs. 1 diagonal situations. Don’t expect easier goal scoring though. The same player can perform, from the same spot, a super shot but also deliver a mortar throw to the stands, if the timing, foot and positioning isn’t right. Another important change comes in shots over the keeper, now lower and more controllable than in the previous version, with the player having to press square much more time to get the same hight arched ball it used to get previously with a microsecond tap.

Keepers gain (some) brain cells...

Keepers are the “black sheep” of WE. Let’s be fair: you still see “two armed” unrealistic flights all the time, but keepers seemed to have gained a bit in WE9 too. “instinct saves”, better overall movement, less rebounds to opposing strikers and the newly hand long throw make keepers a new tool at hand in gameplay construction.

Dribbling PSX style…

WE gamers often divide between “dribblers” and “thinkers”. Some like to make individual unforgettable runs while others deliver magnificent plays without a single dribble. WE9 seems to level the balance although I need several “human” games to verify this completely. What seems obvious is that directional dribbling, PSX style (veterans from Pro Evolution Soccer in PSX know what I mean) is once again favoured, with swifts in direction and speed delivering great results. Another change that promises discussion is the “R2 move”: now it’s “embedded” in the basic set of player actions, performed with no need of R2 pressing. I found it strange at first but I agreed later that this is a logical change. This is not really a “feint” but a kind of move players do all the time in normal gameplay (pulling the ball left or right to gain angle for a pass, shot or run). Therefore I agree with the simplification principle of embedding this in the basic set of movements, delivering more realism while allowing you to change direction 90º anyway if you do a quick stop and direction change.

Final Opinion:

I still lack many WE9 hours to complete my opinions but my first impression can only be a positive one, so many were the mistakes I found in We8/ We8LE/PES4. The new We) promises much fun and less non understandable frustrating moments, although it demands relearning. I hope Konami doesn’t comit the usual mistakes when converting to PES5, and this time delivers and identical product in its qualities. Since WE9 is graphically almost the same as WE8, we can noit avoid asking why WE9 didn’t happen last year instead of.. WE8/PES4. It would have saved us many hours of frustration.

I agree with the simplification principle of embedding this in the basic set of movements, delivering more realism while allowing you to change direction 90º anyway if you do a quick stop and direction change.

It has nothing to do about "realism", They only made it like that because PSP users can play against PS2 users

only played 2 games so far - initial response .....yay slowdown no more.

dribbling is alot harder/different on 5*, i can't dominate on the ball with henry as easy as i could in we8/we8le which is probably a good thing.

way more animations, shooting technique improved once again ...looks spot on.

through passes seem a bit more realistic also

biggest change ive noticed is the jostling for position, i've seen it a couple of times already - players nudged forward and held down etc...different to previous releases...

lampard seems to have his own free kick animation??? he also put in a header from a free kick that looked almost like a replay on MOTD.

i think i'm going to enjoy this game

filthydani said:
It has nothing to do about "realism", They only made it like that because PSP users can play against PS2 users

I have got the game. And I can say that you are wrong. And go to www.zipperfish.com and check out Toons sections, and maybe you will see your name under the category "You are a fucking moron". As Reginald would say, thank you. thank you.

I am wrong about what? go to the options and see the new PSP option... do you know what is it for?

You dont know MORON, i know it.

PS. winning eleven 9 is the first version that will be playable in PSP

filthydani can u plz just stfu seriously im sure ure buggin the f*** out of everybody on this site..nething that konami does to w11 is for the good of the game!theyre the pro's not us so y dnt u just stfu n go play fifa or sumthin n if u dnt like w11 shove it up ure arse!!

maybe i am not quite normal, but there is sometimes in crowded area's on wide cam a -little- slowdown.

hope that the critical JeffT notices it, so there will be a foss 0.66 acomplished with jefft faces option file.

Back
Top Bottom