Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

Scored my first overhead bicycle kick last night with Adriano.... It wasnt actually beautiful but quite funny really.... SO i had a corner headed towards goal and the goalie saved it. the ball pops up high like 25 feet and is coming straight down almost on the line... SO Adriano who is running to the ball i guess he over ran it and his body is in the goal and he scores with an overhead flick while the ball is coming down on the line.... lol his huge body in the goal...... wish i could do this from 20 feet out one day though.......

kickkickkick

No need to be so abrasive, mate... just stick to talking about the game, ok?
Otherwise this forum will just deteriorate into pointless bickering.

See my head? Yes that's right it's hanging in shame. I have been playing Nippon Mode and having a great time. Verbal is so right about learning to master the :r2: trap in tight situations.

:oops:

ClassicD said:
See my head? Yes that's right it's hanging in shame. I have been playing Nippon Mode and having a great time. Verbal is so right about learning to master the :r2: trap in tight situations.
Could you please describe how to use this?

Zygalski said:
Could you please describe how to use this?

It's simple, but new to WE9.

Before you receive a pass, hold down R2, and the player will basically trap the ball and keep it close to his feet. If you combine this with direction buttons, you can actually turn past defenders that are marking you from behind you.

One useful trick is to pass to a forward standing on the D of the penalty area with his back to goal. Hold R2, and use D-pad to turn with close control... keep hold of R2, and shoot quickly to curl a low shot into the corner... I believe that it helps to use a skilled striker like Crespo...

Sweet, that sounds ace and I wasnt aware of it..

Chaps, I read earlier that the L1 and triangle move can be done by double tapping triangle too. Well, having tested it I really did notice a difference in the type of through ball> Double tap chips it far more like the older versions where as a standard L1 and triangle chips it harder and lower.

Try it out, I am pretty sure there is a difference and its actually picked up my enjoyment of the game again.

Well I hope I am right, it certainly seems that way and would make sense to include a double tap loop through ball.

You're an experienced player Zyg so let me know if you think you notice a difference, I'd like to know I wasnt imagining things :D

the double triangle etc is a myth.

i spent 30 mins in training the other day practicing all these "triangle" combinations.

there is only ONE chip thru ball and it is L1 + Triangle.

WelL I certainly noticed a big difference in game. Its the speed of the pass, there were definitely different speeds of loop through ball, one with more bounce and one with more skid.

Like I said though, due to overexposure to this game and WE8LE side by side, my eyes might be playing tricks on me lol

ClassicD said:

:oops:

AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!!!!!

HALLELUJAH!!! HE'S FINALLY SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!

*looks at watch and awaits the conversion of Classic D's disciples* ;)

wilier said:
It's simple, but new to WE9.

Before you receive a pass, hold down R2, and the player will basically trap the ball and keep it close to his feet. If you combine this with direction buttons, you can actually turn past defenders that are marking you from behind you.
One useful trick is to pass to a forward standing on the D of the penalty area with his back to goal. Hold R2, and use D-pad to turn with close control... keep hold of R2, and shoot quickly to curl a low shot into the corner... I believe that it helps to use a skilled striker like Crespo...

Another variation on this is, after trapping the ball with R2 as you turn press R1 and your man pushes the ball ahead of himself and steals a couple of paces on his marker. OR, if you simply hold R1 when you receive the ball you'll spin your defender and leave him for dead (a la WE8LE) - depending on the quality of your man and the relative quality of his marker.

Hope this helps you guys to enjoy this game as much as I am. :)

Verbal Kint said:
Another variation on this is, after trapping the ball with R2 as you turn press R1 and your man pushes the ball ahead of himself and steals a couple of paces on his marker. OR, if you simply hold R1 when you receive the ball you'll spin your defender and leave him for dead (a la WE8LE) - depending on the quality of your man and the relative quality of his marker.

Hope this helps you guys to enjoy this game as much as I am. :)

Yeah i had never known about this R1 thing until today (never look at manuals you see) and it has improved my enjoyment alot, it also looks realy cool when you leave the defender for dead then tapping R1 to run on goal and finnish by sloting home.Tried the R2 but it don't really work as well as R1 for me maybe more prctice required...

spaceman said:
Yeah i had never known about this R1 thing until today (never look at manuals you see) and it has improved my enjoyment alot, it also looks realy cool when you leave the defender for dead then tapping R1 to run on goal and finnish by sloting home.Tried the R2 but it don't really work as well as R1 for me maybe more prctice required...

The R2 keeps the ball close to the player, so it's only good for making a tiny bit of space... e.g. for firing off a quick shot under close control.... or just for keeping possession... I use it alot around the edge of the penalty area, where Rooney or Crespo are skilled enough to curl shots in using R2 + square... you just need to make a tiny opening in the defense!

it's not that great for rounding players (R1 is better)

Last edited:
WE9 Review :from NTSC-UK magazine....

-->
Winning Eleven 9 - review
Like football-loving Jehovah's Witnesses, followers of Konami's Winning Eleven series have long known the true path to footballing salvation, and have been keen to drum it in at the doorsteps of EA's FIFA Football-playing heathens. It's often seemed an arduous and fruitless task, but come the day of reckoning we know who'll be stood at the pearly gates with a smile on their faces. Can I get an 'Amen'!

Konami's Tokyo development office has been churning out world-class soccer games for years now, and their pedigree is unmistakable. Winning Eleven (Pro Evolution Soccer for PAL fanciers) has a famous lineage, and one which Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka and his team look to improve upon with each iteration. With this year and Winning Eleven's 9th incarnation they've outdone themselves, taking this already well-polished diamond and making it even shinier.

The biggest difference between WE games and their rivals has always been the level of control the player has, and the lack of pre-determination. Each match feels open and able to swing at any moment, and (with the exception of a dinked free kick from just outside the box) there have never been any signs of "cheat goals". Gone are the rails that players in other games seem to be fixed to, along with with pointless "skills" and matches that end with cricket scores. WE has always been the football fans' favourite and for a reason - it plays the closest to a real match you can get without getting muddy on a Sunday morning with dangerously overweight, middle-aged men at the local park. The ball feels like an actual ball during the game, with weight and a life of its own, rather than a glue-covered beach ball that's pinged back and forth like some macabre game of giant pinball. Lunging challenges will make contact with the ball and send it spinning and veering wildly. A well-thumped volley at the woodwork can come back in all manner of directions: all things which draw the player in and do their darndest to convince them that this is football.

So, what's changed between Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution and this fresh-faced newcomer? Quite a bit actually, and just about all of it for the better. The gameplay is famously tweaked between versions; often invisible to casual players but to those devoted to the cause these changes are instantly recognisable. Usually it's normally a re-weighting of how a match pans out, be it swinging things in the defence's favour or vice-versa, however this time it feels totally balanced. Matches now are won and lost in midfield and with smart movement and passing. The game as a whole feels slower and while at first this may set alarm bells ringing, it shouldn't. The change in pace is just another masterstroke which makes WE9 feel closer to the real thing than any previous game. Gone is any notion of pinball passing; timing is everything now. The most radical change, however, is the introduction of a new shooting method, and it's a real godsend. A press of R2 while the shot gauge is on-screen produces an attempt at an inside-of-boot, controlled, curled shot, and this is how the majority of saved replays are going to be made. It's not as straightforward as simply hitting it and watching the results, of course; catch it off balance or with a player with poor technique and you're looking at hitting row Z, but time it right with a Gerrard or a Kaka and it's a thing of beauty. Perfectly placed 30-yard rockets bending inside the top corner are possible but, in another performance of KCET's mastery, it's not so commonplace as to turn this into an arcade-like affair.

Plenty of other touches and refinements have been made all over the pitch. The widely-criticised heading has been revamped and crosses can be far more effective than before. It's possible now, for example, to power a header down at the keeper's feet and have it bounce up and beat him. First touches feel better. Sprinting with the ball has been tweaked so that the advancing player can now knock it ahead and run at his true top speed behind it. Tricks such as the roulette and Ronaldinho's flip-flap are still there and still not so good as to let you merely dance past the defence - not without some decent skill anyway. Free kicks have changed slightly, with Triangle and X now controlling power or control where R1 and R2 used to serve. There are a few small changes like this, and it's only fair to assume that it's a glance towards the future and the PSP with its single pair of shoulder buttons. An immediate 90-degree turn whilst running with R2 is now impossible (well, not impossible but it requires a double-tap of direction now), which was a concern for a few at first but one which quickly evaporates. These changes mean there's a brief period of re-learning for veterans of the series, and quite a lot to take on for Winning Eleven virgins. Fouls at first seem more commonplace, but refining the way you play and the challenges you choose to take on soon remedies this. Again, it adds to the 'real match' feeling.

Japan's efforts towards the 2006 World Cup have been recognised this time around, and a Nippon 2006 Challenge mode is available from the main menu. This option takes the footballing minnows of Japan and puts you in control of them, leading by example to take them to World Cup glory from the very first qualifying tournaments through to the main event itself. Whilst to the Westerner this is likely to have limited appeal, it provides a novel alternative to the WE stalwarts such as the Master League, which is back as always. A nose around the menus will reveal a PSP link option too; quite what this does yet is a bit of a mystery, but it clearly points to the future for mobile WE and hopefully the quality of game to expect. The in-game editing has been improved greatly; it's now perfectly possible to make very close reproductions of the non-licensed and national teams, even down to the sponsor and kit-makers’ logos. On the subject of licensing, sadly this is still Konami's downfall, certainly from a British point of view. Although a couple of English clubs now have official representation in the game, the Premier League as a whole does not. Existing licences continue though, so a full Serie A or La Liga campaign is still possible.

The graphics as a whole have been sharpened up, and the slowdown which was becoming more apparent with each release is all but gone. On the outset this sounds ideal, but it's a crude method that has been employed to make this fix. Those who play with the 'Wide' camera will notice something odd as they head towards the topmost touchline - there're no crowds in the stadia! Those who use this most useful of camera modes may be taken aback at first by this effort to reduce the amount being drawn in order to bring the frame rates up. Yet on the whole it's really nothing to write home about; a minor scuff on the polished boots of what is otherwise a near flawless game. Long-running fans will notice a change in commentary, with Tsuyoshi Kitazawa joining the ubiquitous Jon Kabira in the box but the great commentary hasn't suffered in the slightest for it. For those of you fortunate enough to actually live in Japan there's also an online option, but obviously it's impossible to comment on its performance. The multiplayer experience remains supreme; add beer and friends and here's a game which has stupendous amounts of longevity.

There's still only one football game to own, and it doesn't begin with an 'F'. Konami have taken WE8 and not just given it a little spruce; they've gone for the whole deluxe valet option. The gameplay is nigh on perfection, the pace is perfect, the shooting has been tweaked subtly and, with the addition of the R2 shooting, it really feels like a new game. This is the first time since WE6 that most die-hard fans will notice a real change and a real sense of newfound enjoyment in the game. Combine these uber-tight play mechanics with the sharpened graphics, the commentary brilliance of Kabira & Co, plus the improved editing facilities and you're looking at a champion. The editing community has already been beavering away with English patches and kit/player option files springing up for the discerning user, so there's no excuse for even the most ardent of linguaphobes to miss out.
Discuss the Review ntsc-uk score 8/10

-->

WE9 Review from IGN

-->
KBBQ05: Winning Eleven 9: Hands-on
Konami's soccer sim goes online and further refines the art of soccer. New impressions and images.
by Douglass C. Perry

August 17, 2005 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 made its North American debt today at Konami's third annual summer BBQ at Fort Mason, SF, with a preview version that immediately showed off new refinements in animations, ball control, motion-capture, and player control.

Known as Pro Evolution 5 in Europe and Winning Eleven 9 in Japan, this new iteration, due for Xbox, PS2, PC, and PSP in late January/early February 2006, is the first one to take the series online. Fans of the long-running series can play with as many as seven others online from all over the world in basic Versus competitions and tournaments of their own making.

Konami didn't show off the online portion, and it wouldn't permit footage of the game from the event, but we can tell you from seeing and playing the offline portion of the game firsthand that it's looking and playing up to its own meticulously high standards. The big feature for online players is that you can take your built up Master League team and play it online against another player's fully maxed out team. With this ability your specialized and most trusted and talented set of players can grace the field against complete strangers for previously unexplored worldwide competitions.

The Master League has been refined in many ways, but particularly in the ability to condition players. A brand new training system creates more skill depth as your players progress, and technique development is more varied than before. Soccer fans are given more of a managerial set of goals to achieve in the Master League, with manual tweaks at their hands, but also automatic improvements that can be checked off on a weekly, rather than a daily basis. On the field, videogame athletes can employ new formations such as Wing Back and Second Striker to create new challenges for the AI or your FIFA friends.

Konami has completed more licensed deals, and has added new teams and leagues in the Dutch, Italian, and Spanish arenas, in addition to more English teams. For instance, the title offers up the Italian Serie A, Spanish La Liga and Dutch Eredivisie leagues, new additions (and English champions) Chelsea and runners-up Arsenal, and "Old Firm" Scottish clubs such as the Rangers and Celtic. Norwegian Champions Rosenburg, Portuguese giants FC Porto, Turkey's Galatasaray SK, Denmark's FC Kopenhagen, Ukraine's Dynamo Kiev, and Djurgarden from Sweden are all available for the well-seasoned soccer player.

Along with more licensed European teams, Konami's dev team has filled out more training modes, giving players a better sense of how to master techniques, moves, corner kicks, throw-ins, and penalty kicks. Just to give you the right to brag, Winning Eleven 9 includes a Memorial Match. This mode is just for setting up rivalries with your friends, and it basically records all of the stats from each game. These stats include everything from the amount of shots on goal, interceptions, pass-ins, goal kicks, and more. This could come in very handy for serious soccer players who love stats and use them to improve their game by crunching the numbers to see where they're weak or strong.

On the subject of visuals, Product Manager Wilson Cheng told IGN that Konami went back to the drawing board with all sorts of graphic improvements, animations, and motion-capture moves. The game features all-new animations covering a gamut of moves from basic dribbling to through-passes to bicycle kicks and goalie saves and dives. The result is a seamless and even more fluid game with a surprising amount of realistic character moves, animations, and real-life techniques. For instance, you'll see more struggles for loose balls, more emotional responses at referee calls, and body checks and protection techniques previously not seen in the series. A gaggle of little animation improvements make you feel like the game is more realistic in both looks and actual gameplay.

With the exception of the PSP, the Xbox, PS2, and PC versions will all share the same content and offer the exact same online features. The PSP version looks very close to the PS2 game in visual quality, just on a smaller screen. The only major difference between the PSP and the PS2 versions are the PSP "online" capabilities. It's a one to two-player game, instead of an eight player title, but it enables players to communicate to the PS2 as well as share data between the PS2 and PSP, such as shared save files or perhaps Memorial League data.

In short, this soccer game continues to impress us and improve in steady, medium-sized steps. Of course, the online play is the exception, because it's a huge step, and it's one we cannot qualify just yet. But the whole idea is enticing, and it promises to create a huge amount of ongoing soccer games across the world as soon as this game hits shelves. The Memorial mode, the extra training modes, the automatic managerial updates, and the ground-level ability to grow your players and team into stars is impressive and intriguing. Right now, we just want to score a few goals. It's still easily the best soccer game on the planet.

We'll have more on World Soccer Winning Eleven 9.

-->
:applause:

this is awsome gotta buy it, which of ulot has a jap ps2 or a chipped ps2 coz i wanna buy a jap ps2 with winning eleven, basically i just wanna know if a jap ps2 works in the uk

Don't think anyone buys the Japanese PS2 just for WE9, spend about £30 on a fliptop/swap magic and thats you set.

yeah but thing is i havent got a ps2 now i sold it so i might aswell just buy a jap ps2 with we9, will save bit of money plus anyways can get few good jap games

How much is a Jap PS2?

I bought a new slimline and the fliptop/smap magic for £130.

Probably do get some good Jap games but they will be in Japanese anyway won't they?

its bout 111 in uk pounds, i suppose could go with the fliptop/swap magic, but thing is how easy is it to use and dont i need a certain slimline model for it? what exactly do i need for it all to work coz im not that aware of the fliptop/swap magic?
if its that easy ile do that but if its awkward wouldnt it just be easier for me to get a jap ps2 wat ya reckon

Well you take the old lid off and put the new one on, you lift up the lid, put the swap magic DVD in, put the lid down and wait for it to load. Then you lift the lid back up, put your game in, put the lid down and hit X, then it is loaded.

Very easy, instead of pressing eject you just open the lid.

You can get fliptops for the slimline or fat PS2.

I would rather get this, if you get a JAP PS2 how can you play PAL/NTSC games?.

yeah cool, have u got a website with the fliptop/swap magic equipment where i can buy it? yeah ile go with that sounds simple, yeah i guess thing is with future games id have to keep buying from the jap site i know be a pain in the ass, so will work with any slimline, colour wise and model?

No sorry, my dad ordered it, do a search though and if you can't find it I will ask him where he got it.

As far as I know there are 2 versions, 1 for slimline and 1 for normal PS2.

yeah ile av a look wont be hard to find, just 1 more thing wat about that other tool do u need that aswell think its called the slidetool? wat version of swap magic u got?

has someone noticed that the stadium is always empty, no spectators, but if u look the replay , its full ???!!!!??!!! that sucks

yeah some of the other guys said bout that, apparently its to stop lag duno if its true though

Back
Top Bottom