WatchDogs [PS4/XB1]

Re: [360/PS3/PC] Watch Dogs

I think the game looks like it could be fun with plenty to do and explore. It's nothing mind blowing though and certainly isn't next-gen based on what I've seen.

It's just another variation of a GTA type game, with GTAV in my eyes looking a little bit better.

Dat ubisoft downgrade.

Impressions from TFM_Excalibur on eurogamer.

Finished act 1 last night, its a nice change but it's getting repetitive quickly, thought there would me more to the hacking than holding a button for a few seconds.

Loads of good things though, the progression wheel is a nice little target to aim for and wreaking having with hacking traffic etc is fun albeit basic.

When asked if they had tried online

Not yet mate(with the exception of the short tutorial) i've turned it off so i dont lose my noteriety half way through and probably gonna give a bash once i've finished the main game and side missions.

And the driving physics are shit.

I watched a 30min ish long video yesterday from jack frags and i thought it looked alright. Not the spectacular game they could have created or hinted at ....but it does look fun.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a few 9s from the brown nosing sites out there dependant on keeping ubisoft happy. I think most reputable sites might go as high as 8 probably just because while the game isn't what was hinted, they can't review it like that so probably will just say 'what is there is alright'.

It does look like a solid 7 though. Crap in areas, but it's fun and what else have you got to play?

I'm more excited for mario kart 8 though. It could be argued that's the same game again and again, but the gameplay and attention to detail is always fantastic. Here it seems they're getting the basics wrong. Maybe it's just a victim of being a last gen game that just happened to be set for release after the next gens came so everyone is held back by the old tech.

The review embargo is very telling though. Makes them look like they're embarrassed by their game.

Last edited:

Might be the norm but I don't think it shows any confidence at all.

I can't recall any games that have them set for release day after being so overhyped like this.
If the game is great then surely getting those great reviews put ASAP will sell more copies? All embargoes just make me think either a site has paid to review first (and so will always praise the game 9/10) or it's because the game has issues and they're hoping reviewers don't find them in the short time they get to play and then rush their reviews out.

And most times I'm right. The reviews usually sound very generic, like they're based on only the first hour of playing. Then REAL gamers get the game and withing hours have long lists of negatives on forums.

In my experience, release-day embargoes tend to be because the game is poor and has got poor reviews. Having the reviews released before the game would hurt pre-orders.

Yeah release day embargoes are a little strange for something this high profile, I've played the "internet preview version" shall we say, only spent about 2-3 hours or so on it and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so I'm waiting for my new nvidia card on Monday and the game's official arrival on Tuesday, so far from the little I've played I'd say it's an 8/10, evening/night obviously looks better, the daytime lighting isn't great but neither is AC daytime lighting but I find that tweaking the settings on my projector massively improved AC4 and various other games including this one.

Ahh nice, mine's MSI too, I like their cooling and ability to OC if that's your thing. Mine's stock at the moment as I've not needed to OC for any game.

I looked at the 780s but felt the gains weren't worth an extra £80-£100 for a model that had >4gb and anything less than that felt pointless, certainly Watch Dogs is a good example of new games liking as much Vram as possible and assuming we get a new Elder Scrolls soon I'm sure the high texture mods will quickly fill up the Vram as they do for Skyrim etc :)

Yeah release day embargoes are a little strange for something this high profile, I've played the "internet preview version" shall we say, only spent about 2-3 hours or so on it and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so I'm waiting for my new nvidia card on Monday and the game's official arrival on Tuesday, so far from the little I've played I'd say it's an 8/10, evening/night obviously looks better, the daytime lighting isn't great but neither is AC daytime lighting but I find that tweaking the settings on my projector massively improved AC4 and various other games including this one.

Sounds good.

I fully expect that I'll enjoy this for what it is. I've stayed away from most news on this game and only seen the original E3 launch video (which is just a hazy memory now - the only lingering memory I have is the cars crashing.... I'm hoping they do the same and don't just bump each other) and a few recent vids showing how multiplayer works.
So I don't have huge expectations. I'd just would have liked to be blown away rather than content. The embargo etc is just a little off putting. I'd be much more hyped if they were guns blazing with reviews and it got good scores.

Gutted I was in work today though as a college popped in the pick up his pay slip and mentioned he just bought the game at asda as they mistaking my had it on sale from yesterday. Saw the game in his hand so was true.
They'd pulled it off the shelves by the time I finished and went :(

Last edited:

Bought a uPlay code off eBay. Plenty of good impressions on NeoGAF gives me confidence this will be decent.

I got mine today, haven't had a chance to play a lot but going to have a few ours now. PS4.

The only thing going for this game at the moment is the fact no other games are coming out.

Cancelled my pre order with the useless cunts at shopto.

They had a promise saying if you pre ordered before Friday midnight you'd get it on release day and that orders would be done Saturday and picked up by Royal Mail.

Well I've had it pre ordered for ages and it's now Sunday and mine was still showing as an unprocessed order so no chance of it getting here on time now. Plus the price was as pathetically high as everywhere else.

Shall grab it from town on Tuesday instead

The only thing going for this game at the moment is the fact no other games are coming out.

Pfft you're just buying into the stereotypical spewings of Ubisoft haters, maybe it's not quite living up to the 2012 levels of hype but it's definitely a solid game visually and gameplay wise, too early to say if the campaign is fully fleshed out but as long as people play this game at its best (ideally PC if not then PS4) it looks fantastic :)

Cancelled my pre order with the useless cunts at shopto.

They had a promise saying if you pre ordered before Friday midnight you'd get it on release day and that orders would be done Saturday and picked up by Royal Mail.

Well I've had it pre ordered for ages and it's now Sunday and mine was still showing as an unprocessed order so no chance of it getting here on time now. Plus the price was as pathetically high as everywhere else.

Shall grab it from town on Tuesday instead

Pepper got his from them too.

Really odd. I've had it pre ordered for a few months so it not like I was too late. They also had a notice up saying 'pre order before midnight Friday and we guarantee you get it for Tuesday and if not we will credit you with £5'.

It was still showing as a standard pre order that I could cancel or make changes to this morning so I just got rid.
I've not had great experiences with them for the past year or two anyway. The last few orders Ive done with them, 1 has gone missing and was a real dick to get my money back, a few haven't arrived until the Monday after release day, and one took a full week to finally arrive. Most orders only turn up Saturday mornings :(

Long gone are the days of me getting something from them on Wednesday or Thursday before release.

Last edited:

Yeah, they aren't anywhere near as good as they were, I'd rather just pick one up from store now.

Ordering console games in the past, I found Simply Games really good.
I always got my games before release date with them and send all games first class recorded.

I have to wait till 9AM Tuesday for my Watchdogs to unlock on Origin, they have not even started pre-load yet.

Last edited:

To all those that are being negative saying the game might not be good cause the reviews wont be available till the game is released, from what i remember GTAV did the exact same thing with there reviews, the game turned out great. Correct me if im wrong.

You could well be right actually, IGN - 17 September, Gamespot - 16 September, Eurogamer 16 September. Game was released 17 September.

Edit: Apparently it's the same with all Rockstar games, eg RDR, so yeah we certainly can't 1. criticise Ubi for this or 2. assume something bad for the game because of this.

Back
Top Bottom