Virtua Tennis 3

In real life you wouldn't dive if you were desperate to reach the ball because you'd risk injury, because VT3 doesn't have player injury/damage you don't give a shit about diving just as long as you get to the ball where in real life a crap player would just think fuck it I aint gonna cripple my knees trying to get that one.

And it is to do with being crap, put it this way, I bet you lose most games and I bet you'll notice another thing...

your opponant never dives for balls ;)

The thing is, the player only dives when thats the only way possible of reaching the ball for a shot. So you either dive or let the ball bounce and lose a point.
The only time the player will mess up is when you didnt anticipate where the shot was going so you're having to run too far to keep the ball in play.
If you prepare and put yourself in a good position, you can keep a good rally going for a while.
This game isnt as easy as VT1 and 2 but its a hell of a lot more realistic.

After hearing some good things about Top Spin 2, I went out and bought myself a used copy to see for myself. I have to say, the game is great! Much better than Virtua Tennis 3 Demo version in my opinion. I am having a blast playing it. It's very addictive and lots of fun against another human. Especially the career mode. I can't beleive I overlooked this game in the past. Good deal for a 20$ used copy. ;-)

Virtua Tennis has always been my preferred choice of tennis games. However, the demo has too many issues that hamper my satisfaction and fun factor at the moment. For example, rediculous excessive diving of players at the simple tap of the analog stick. Which by the way, only happens with Male characters. Female vs Females gameplay is better because the diving is hardly there. Another issue is the unrealistic long ball trail that someone else already mentioned before. It's very annoying and unrealistic. Sad really :-( ...I hope all this improves in the final version.

The graphics however, look fantastic!

Top Spin on the other hand has a very solid and more realistic gameplay mechanics. Very smooth gameplay with some really neat animations of the players. Sometimes you will be suprised to see other cool animations from your player that you hadn't seen before. It's like the NFL 2K version of Tennis..sooo many hidden animations that appear at the right time. Today for example, my player ran to hit the ball and as he was getting there, he begins to stumble but not quite fall, and barely hit the ball succesfully accross the net. It looked and felt fantastic! Great ball and player physics. The game is Top Notch in my opinion. Much better than the current Virtua Tennis(Demo)version. I have yet to experience any diving though, however after seeing how the Virtua Tennis Demo abused the diving feature, I could care less if it never appears in Top Spin 2.

Anyway, if anyone out there has not tried this game yet, Go get yourself a copy! I highly recommend it.

Sorry for the long review, just wanted to share this with you all.

;-)

Last edited:
All these mixed reviews!

Are the graphics on VT3 better than TS2, which didn't have the best next-gen gfx but it was an early title

The ball-boys in VT3 look like Wallaces from Wallace and Gromit, as I've said before. I personally think the graphics look better in Top Spin 2. It depends what you're after, bright colours but dodgy looking people here and there, plus a poor frame-rate when you're close-up (VT3), or slightly grey and rough around the edges but more realistic graphics (TS2).

I wonder if you can turn the insanely long ball-trail off in the full version of VT3 - I know it's just a graphic, but that drives me mad.

I personally think the graphics look better in Top Spin 2.

VT3
932685_20060621_screen006.jpg

932685_20060705_screen001.jpg

TS2
928289_20060223_screen023.jpg

Whatever Chris, only reason you're slagging off VT3 is because the players don't have Nike logos on them or whatever.

The Virtua Tennis screens you've posted are HD, the Top Spin 2 one is SD.

Admittedly though, the shading in Virtua Tennis is better on the players, and the crowd look slightly better as well. But I still say that overall, the graphical style of Virtua Tennis isn't as good as TS2. The ball trail that's ten feet long for a start, and those ball-boys really do freak me out with their plasticine blob faces. And the eye-burningly bright colours. And the frame-rate...

And by the way, I've played PES for eight years, so don't you talk to me about fucking Nike logos making or breaking a game.

Last edited:
Language, stop gettin ya knickers in a twist again. For me Top Spin just never had the realistic feel or flow that Virtua Tennis had, I think it was mainly due to the frustrating animation glitches. Mainly Top Spin has always lacked that feeling of urgency, it's something that PES has over FIFA and will most likely bring me back to PES7 when it comes out.

Last edited:
Language, stop gettin ya knickers in a twist again. For me Top Spin just never had the realistic feel or flow that Virtua Tennis had, I think it was mainly due to the frustrating animation glitches. Mainly Top Spin has always lacked that feeling of urgency, it's something that PES has over FIFA and will most likely bring me back to PES7 when it comes out.
*Desperately tries to sit on his hands* In the demo of UEFA, I was cornered, and a player pegged it (coming out of his position) to give me someone to pass to. He was running his legs off to help me out - which is more urgency I've ever seen in PES. AAHHH sorry. I'll get back to VT now.

You like what you like and you don't what you don't, so your opinion is as valid as mine. I have played the demo again twice this morning and I just can't get a feel for it. Perhaps it's one of those things you have to persevere with, and I will keep trying it. It's nice and free, I'll give you that (which is why I now hate PES and love UEFA *SLAP*), but it feels so alien. I liked the career mode in TS2 as well, that's the kind of thing I buy games for. I wonder what the career mode is like in this...

I'm sure it's great against mates, as Rocky said above, and I'm sure I will play it on PSP like I did with the last one.

Urgency, I mean in PES you're always kept on your toes, being forced to play one touch football (I've never done a back-heel in FIFA 07), even on the hardest difficulty in FIFA 07 it always feels laid back to me.

Tried the demo, you'd think I was Arjen Robben, all I know is I was diving ALOT!

Probably cos I'm just shit though......never really been into tennis games. Anyone got any tips on how to keep my player upright for more than 5 seconds.

being forced to play one touch football

This sentence speaks volumes about the what the series has become, it's no longer the beautiful game, it's kick rush ball, it's feckin kiddy playground football, or the useless old clobbers league where no one gets time on the ball, it gets ping ponged from one side to the other and possession is something you dream off.

Anyhow, back on topic, as Rocky says, multiplayer with mates could be a much better game with Virtua Tennis, but that I think would be down to the fact VT has it's arcade roots and thus the 'pick up and play' thing. Your not telling your mates, oh this button does that shot, this button does that kinda thing, it's simple.

Just played VT3 on my mate's 32" HDTV and I'm finally convinced by this HD stuff now, absolutely stunning!!!

Not one jaggy or one imperfection in place, the colour is absolutely beautiful! The clay court is a visual feast, player skin is by far the best I've ever seen in a video game.

Anyone looking for arcade thrills and is looking for something to REALLY show off their HDTV, this is the game!

i have a HD pj and it looks cartoony

GOW and GRAW 2 on the other hand look awesome

Graphically in some areas VT3 is more detailed than TS2. Not convinced by the gameplay though. Prefer TS2's realism.
Dj

Why oh why, now we have VT3 and TS2, do tennis games NEVER have a slight aftertouch on the ball for non-serve shots? Ok, u can do (cpu too) swerving kind of special shots in TS2 if u get a high thingy bob built up at certain times (cant think of words to dexcribe the thingy bob but u get the drift)....i mean we have snooker and cricket and football games now with realistic ball movement (ie its rare that a ball in mid air ever travels perfectly straight) and yet VT3 has let me down with its STRAIGHT F**KING shots every time.....even the serves dont seem to bend as they should!!!

dammit

Dazza

what i mean is that in real life a ball could pass over the sideline in tennis and swerve back into the court and not be out, or could swerve away with slice shots, the only tennis games that have this are non serious tennis games like Mario Tennis....

Its not even aftertouch really, its more the fact that a ball as i just said, to have realsitic movement, needs to have top, back AND sidespin on it in every sports game as i think this visually gives it more depth.

I will go and lie down now!!

dazzA

^ Rockstar's Table Tennis has a good spin system :) I love that game even now... must play it again.

Dj

Back
Top Bottom