Virtua Tennis 3

After playing the demo for a longer time, I have to admit the scope of the game is fantastic. I'm used (as in PES) to holding down a button and my player running forward and positioning himself automatically. When he doesn't and you end up standing still and missing the ball, you find yourself saying "that's shit", but it's not, because you're given complete freedom of movement and so you have to do all the work - which is superb, and something that every game should work towards. I'd bet a few quid that the first real next-gen PES won't be 1/100th as free as this game is.

The graphics are stunning and I regret saying that Top Spin 2's were better. Saying that, in Top Spin 2 the graphics weren't as realistic overall, meaning you didn't tend to notice anything wrong with them, whereas because the facial animations are so great in Virtua Tennis, you immediately notice stuff like the plastic ball-boys and the crowd all clapping at the same time, which A) looks ridiculous, B) would produce a rhythmic sound rather than applause and C) would have took them five minutes to fix.

I'm trying to get into it, but I've barely won any points yet. I can't seem to aim the shots as far to the sides as I'd like, and I'm sorry, but both players dive way, way too much (saying "it's an arcade game" is not an excuse, because it damages the gameplay when you're trying to aim a shot and your player goes flying).

I would say it is better than Top Spin 2 at the moment, without too much hesitation, but I could aim my shots a hell of a lot easier in that. Still, it's impressive.

Eurogamer Review

I've played a few games on the demo (apparently the 1 Month Gold Trial you get with your 360 is good for 3 accounts) and it is okay but I still prefer Top Spin (the first, I haven't played the second).

Just finished another few games on the demo and, as much as I admire what they've done, I'm just not having fun with it at all. I can't aim the shots far enough to the side (I can't even seem to get enough power behind my shots), and I just can't beat the CPU. It is a great game, I'm sure, but it just doesn't do it for me. It feels like you would have to devote a lot of time to the game to be able to do half of what you want, and I'm not a big enough tennis fan to do that.

I think the bottom line is that if you like tennis then the game is excellent, but I just can't seem to do what I want with the shots, and if you're not a huge tennis fan then I wouldn't recommend it.

The Eurogamer review is pretty good, but I totally disagree with all of the "you have to play this game if you are a gamer no matter what" stuff. :eh:

Ha, every game you play you hate it, then after a week it grows on you, I even remember you being like this with FIFA 07 :D

Glad to see you're finally getting into it, and don't worry, you will improve, I went though this with VT1 on Dreamcast, that's why I'm enjoying VT3 so much.

'ang in there!

Don't know what you're on about with FIFA 07 mate, from the day I played the demo I was in love with it and I've not looked back.

The same reason I loved that is the same reason I admire VT3 - purely because of the freedom of the gameplay. It's a lot more realistic than previous tennis games because you have to do everything yourself, and I WANT to have to do that, because it makes the game a million times more rewarding.

If I bought the full game I would probably get into it a lot more, because you would be playing against lower-ranked players at the start and you might actually be able to win a game (anyone who can beat the CPU player on the demo is a gaming God as far as I'm concerned - but the difficulty level is a good thing). But I don't like how my shots don't seem to go where I want them to, and I'm not so into tennis that I'm desperate for the game.

Come the summertime (when the traditional gap in games being released emerges) I will probably grab it from a bargain bin and see what it's like. I've got to get UEFA CL and get sick of that first! ;)

I'm already sick of it...

"Welcome to the UEFA Champions League demo, in this video..."

Nnnnnnnyyyyyaaaaaarrrryyyyyynnnnnnngggggnnnyyyaaaaaaaaarrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished another few games on the demo and, as much as I admire what they've done, I'm just not having fun with it at all. I can't aim the shots far enough to the side (I can't even seem to get enough power behind my shots), and I just can't beat the CPU.
If it was that easy to hit your shots so much to the side, you'd never lose.
The system has always been the same in Virtua Tennis. Rather than running on to the ball and then hitting it, if you knew where it was gonna go and stood there beforehand and charged up a shot, it would be so much more accurate and powerful. The problem is you dont know where the ball is gonna go and thats where mind games and strategy come in.

^ Rockstar's Table Tennis has a good spin system :) I love that game even now... must play it again.

Dj
exactly djdoc, table tennis has it done very realistically.........i dont give a flying fu*k about charging up shots and shot placement etc, if the ball isnt moving on screen with any kind of sidespin, then im afraid slice shots and serves just are not done properly.......and as i said, its only really mario tennis that ever did this, though i recall PRO TENNIS TOUR on AMIGA in 1989 did it properly too!!

aftertouch dazza

Don't know what you're on about with FIFA 07 mate, from the day I played the demo I was in love with it and I've not looked back.

The same reason I loved that is the same reason I admire VT3 - purely because of the freedom of the gameplay. It's a lot more realistic than previous tennis games because you have to do everything yourself, and I WANT to have to do that, because it makes the game a million times more rewarding.

If I bought the full game I would probably get into it a lot more, because you would be playing against lower-ranked players at the start and you might actually be able to win a game (anyone who can beat the CPU player on the demo is a gaming God as far as I'm concerned - but the difficulty level is a good thing). But I don't like how my shots don't seem to go where I want them to, and I'm not so into tennis that I'm desperate for the game.

Come the summertime (when the traditional gap in games being released emerges) I will probably grab it from a bargain bin and see what it's like. I've got to get UEFA CL and get sick of that first! ;)

Well my first 4 goes on this game i got canned but i won about 15 games on the trot on the demo after. I also played yesterday and i mixed it up i was Williams vs Federer, and against Nadal etc i spanked Federer in about 1 minute 47 secs. Tbh the game difficulty is easy on demo when you get used to it i won 12 games on trot yesterday 2-0 also never slipped a set. :)

I agree about movement of player though and you dont have to play this game all diving its about getting the shot right. I also like that different opponent you play you have to come up with different strategy. :)

djdoc:-

yes, the 1989 version of sensi was........but the recent sensi on last gen machines and pc was shite, the cpu NEVER applied aftertouch to its passes or shots or corners etc....that was BAD ai in my opinion.......pity too, as the cartoony big heads looked class....

dazzA

Yep the recent Sensi was diabolical! And Sensi was originally out in 1992 was it not? I dont think it was as early as 1989? I can remember having a mate who had the Megadrive version and I had the PC version and my cousin had the SNES version!

Dj

Full game is very cool. the animations are fluid if a bit limited but overall the gameplay is fantastic and addicting. great arcade type stuff

This game is fuckin' awesome. :eek:

I bought it with my PS3 and I'm really amazed with it. I've played it for some hours and although it gets a bit boring after a while and makes us need a break, it's quite addictive.

The graphics are fantastic even when the game isn't played on a HDTV, which is my case. Still, the animations are quite good and fluid.

I haven't explored it much yet; I've been playing only friendlies, trying both single and double modes, so I can't say much about the other game modes, but they seem interesting. From what I've seen we can play tournaments with the real players and create ourselves in order to become a professional player. This career mode sounds good.

Regarding the gameplay, it's definitely the best tennis game I've ever played. The way players move, hit the ball, run and dive makes the game look like reality.
Besides, there's a good point concerning the gameplay - the difficulty modes. I'm glad I'm still struggling to beat the computer in the hard level because this means I will have a lot of fun in the next days. And there's also a very hard level... :p

Well, I really like this game. It's quite addictive and in my opinion it's worth the money. :)

Let's hope I can get Motor Storm and another controller tomorrow... :p

I have it on 360 and its brilliant. Online is worth the £40 alone - much like Table Tennis it has tournaments, doubles (4 people, each on their own XBox's) and singles matches, ranked and unranked. And hardly any lag in most cases!

I waiting for the Asian 360 version which is not out till 7th April but only £23 so can't complain.

Played this last night on PS3, and it has very tight gameplay once you learn to resist hitting the ball until in position. The diving occurs much less frequently as you get better (having said that, it's still much more than real life tennis, unless Boris Becker is playing!!!)

Does anyone else find this is piss easy on "hard" and absolutely impossible on "very hard"? So frustrating, I either win every game 40-0 or lose every game 40-0, with no choice inbetween.

It doesn't, it's just very very very very very good... If I could be arsed to become a VT3 Master then it wouldn't be a problem. :freak:

is there in tournaments any other opponents than Federer,Nadal&co. any Sega-made players?

Is the difficulty messed up?

I've not seen any players except for the main players (meaning Federer and co. feature in the amateur tournaments etc.) - and in my opinion (some may disagree), the difficulty is messed up. On "hard" you have perfect control and win 40-0 all of the time (even with poor stats), on "very hard" your player keeps diving non-stop and you lose 40-0 all of the time.

Perhaps I just need to train my character up though, but that means winning 40-0 every game for a couple of seasons... I don't see the point in playing it when it's like that. I actually prefer Top Spin 2. :eh:

You should download the demo and see what you think of it, you may think differently. It's on Xbox Live, if you have a 360.

I just remembered though, I tried playing on "very hard" with a pro player to see if it was just my player who needed to level up. It was exactly the same, diving non-stop and losing 40-0 every game. And on "hard" it's way too easy.

Well i meant that if Hard-level is too easy and Very Hard-level too hard game is totally useless...it makes me angry already even i don`t have game.

Back
Top Bottom