Virtua Tennis 3

Just to correct myself on something, the career mode isn't actually affected by the difficulty you select. I'd reached rank 200 and decided to switch to hard, and noticed that it was impossible. So I said, "normal is easy, hard is impossible". But then I switched the difficulty back to normal and it stayed exactly the same. So in career mode there is a "set" difficulty, if you like, and you can't change it.

But it's totally fucking stupid.

I realised a few days ago that the reason it's so easy and then so hard is because it does this...

You start off, ranked 300, and you can beat anybody. Seriously - you play whoever you want, Ferrero, Blake, the Williamses, and you smash them. How realistic is that? (Those without sarcasm detectors, here is the translation: how utterly stupid is that?)

But once you get to rank 200, they start playing like Gods. You can't touch them. So you spend two years game-time levelling up your stats and then you're back to square one. They're piss-easy. You can power the ball past them any time you like and they play like morons.

But then you get to rank 100 and then... Guess what... They start playing like Gods again. And this rubber-band AI runs through the core of the game. I'll quote something I just wrote in the PES thread.

This is absolutely true, I played Nathan Blake in the first round of a tournament, first to four sets wins. I went three sets up, nice and easy, could have done it blindfolded, then all of a sudden he starts hitting balls like a cannon shoots cannonballs. BANG, 3-1. BANG, 3-2. BANG, 3-3. Didn't stand a fucking chance, talk about rubber-band AI. And as if to demonstrate that to the letter of the word, in the final set, every single time I scored he scored. 15-0. 15-15. 30-15. 30-30. 40-30. Deuce.

It continued into the deuce - advantage me, deuce, advantage me, deuce - until FIFTEEN deuces later, he got the advantage, and then powered the ball past me. 40 minutes of my life wasted.

I thought to myself, if I keep this anger inside me, I'm going to get cancer. So I picked up a few blank CDs and smashed them to smithereens. And I've not played the game since.

Jesus Christ, I've never been so angry with a game in all my life, if it was earlier in the day when it happened I would have gone outside and smashed a few cups against the wall. I was fucking fuming.

What makes it worse is that when it's piss-easy, your character hits the ball properly, but (this reminds me of PES, I wonder why) when it gets harder, your character starts diving EVERY SINGLE TIME you try and hit the ball, leaving you lying on the floor and the opponent with an "open goal".

Is it just me or are all Japanese-developed sports games cheating pieces of shit?

Last edited:
I have hit this exact same dead end with the PS3 version (Didnt break lots of CD's in the process though...)I hammer Roger Federer to start with in a match on World Tour Mode... then Suddenly he comes storming back and stops playing like a retard... DAMN JAPS!

The randomness of this game infuriates me too, thankfully we finally now have some decent games coming to the 360 I don't need to play it anywmore.

Was fun while it lasted though, I guess.

Has anyone played all versions off this game, cos i have been playing the pc version and played on my mates ps3 version yesterday and the ps3 version was soo much better it was incredible, so does anyone know if the 360 version is as good as ps3 or as crap as pc?

I owned both PC and 360 versions and it's exactly the same. During my career on PC, it was very easy until I had to play against Grosjean for the number 1 rank.

Man, it was impossible !!! Fast runner, very powerful and accurate backhand and lots of smashs !!! It was always 6-0 (6-1 once ;)) and I had to wait 10 years to finally beat him. My father completely trashed Federer in his career but when he had to face Nadal he could'nt do anything. Fast runners are way too good.

It was the same aginst Duke in solomode. I couldn't score a single point before my 30th game ! Am I bad ? I always though being a VT professional player :D but this version makes me realize that's may be wrong. I miss Pat Rafter...

I played this game! The graphics are top, well done by SEGA on that aspect, but it gets boring after a while. I wish there were more registered players, and the tournament should have been one particular Trophy, not 5 different courts. and the "Very Hard" mode, is very very hard indeed, unbeatable really.

There was one point when my brother looked from far, and thought that i was watching real tennis!

Ok thanks tuta if the pc and 360 versions are the same, I did finally get to play the 360 version today and noticed it to be very similar to the PC hence the same porter(developer).
But has anyone else noticed a difference cos the balance and general gameplay on the PS3 version was so much better than the PC and 360.

TEN YEARS?! Holy shit! I'm so glad I've stopped playing it...

I think I was in year 4 and then I didn't train often. I spend holidays to try again the match as fast as possible. So it was quick (2/3 nights of playing).

Last edited:
Got bored, fed up with playing all them damn minigames... I progressed into the top 100 but then got fed up with losing against Federer after caining him in the first couple of games.

You start off, ranked 300, and you can beat anybody. Seriously - you play whoever you want, Ferrero, Blake, the Williamses, and you smash them. How realistic is that?
Good point. A career mode fulfilled with unlicensed absolutely crappy players would have been way better.
I mean, you start playing these unknown players when you're no-one (do you really expect Average Joe to beat Nadal?) and as you progress and become known and skilled you'll be able to challenge the pro players.
Tennis Elbow, back in the late 90s, did this. Why couldn't VT3 do the same?

But once you get to rank 200, they start playing like Gods. You can't touch them. So you spend two years game-time levelling up your stats and then you're back to square one. They're piss-easy.
I don't think so. They become piss-easy just 'cause they're too predictable.
The first time you play against them you won't know how they're going to play so you'll get smashed. But then you realize that they are too dumb to think and that they always perform in the same way.
This means the first time they smash you, the second time they get destroyed.
That's what happened to me with the "King of players" match that you're allowed to play once you get in the top 16 of the ranking.
The first time, I got defeated 6-0 by Nadal, not managing to get even NEAR to a ball. He was playing divinely and he deserved that win. The following year, once I saw he was playing EXACTLY the same way, I got a 6-5 win. He was playing as good as the previous year, but I managed to win.
The third year it became a 6-2 win and finally the fourth time I played I won 6-0.
It was so predictable that I could play also with the eyes covered.
That's why the first time you find it difficult and when you play it again you'll find it way easier, in my opinion.

But apart from this, I must admit I'm quite addicted to this game. It's kinda various (I love those mini-games that the most of the people seem to ignore/hate), it's simple to master (well, it's true that the CPU cheats but not my fault and when it happens you can't do anything against it, just smash some good old CDs) and it's FUNNY, as every game of the "Virtua something" series.

Ok.. my nephew has VT3 on the ps3, and loves it..
but the other day he came over to play smash court tennis pro tourn 2 on ps2 for first time, and tells me its more fun because its acutally more realistic and sim-like than VT3. The reason i recently got SCTPT2 on ps2 was because ive heard its one of the best tennis simulations out there... can anyone confirm this... or atleast give their opinion on which tennis game out there is the best simulation...

My nephew things in VT3, its much harder to wrong foot and hit past players, since its much easier to get to a ball thats looks almost impossible to get, plus he said there are alot of dives. He also says, there are hardly any errors, or long hits (outs) or net hits.. or even dodgy miss hits which lead to bad shots... all of which are in smash court... As he put it, VT3 is very arcade like.. and from the hour we played of smash court.. he said it was way more sim like, and hence much more enjoyable.

Also, in smash court, you really have to time the ball correctly to hit hard shots.. with vt3, you swing(press button early) and youll do a good shot.. on smash court 2 you have to press the button just as the ball is about a metre away...

what do u guys think?? has anyone played smash court 2 on ps2, and is it the most sim like tennis game to date???

Ok.. my nephew has VT3 on the ps3, and loves it..
but the other day he came over to play smash court tennis pro tourn 2 on ps2 for first time, and tells me its more fun because its acutally more realistic and sim-like than VT3. The reason i recently got SCTPT2 on ps2 was because ive heard its one of the best tennis simulations out there... can anyone confirm this... or atleast give their opinion on which tennis game out there is the best simulation...

My nephew things in VT3, its much harder to wrong foot and hit past players, since its much easier to get to a ball thats looks almost impossible to get, plus he said there are alot of dives. He also says, there are hardly any errors, or long hits (outs) or net hits.. or even dodgy miss hits which lead to bad shots... all of which are in smash court... As he put it, VT3 is very arcade like.. and from the hour we played of smash court.. he said it was way more sim like, and hence much more enjoyable.

Also, in smash court, you really have to time the ball correctly to hit hard shots.. with vt3, you swing(press button early) and youll do a good shot.. on smash court 2 you have to press the button just as the ball is about a metre away...

what do u guys think?? has anyone played smash court 2 on ps2, and is it the most sim like tennis game to date???

totally agree, smash court tennis 2 for ps2 is the best tennis game so far. too bad there isn't a version for 360 or ps3. i hope the new next-gen top spin, with analogic hit system, to be more similar to sct2 than virtua tennis unrealistic and arcade style.

totally agree, smash court tennis 2 for ps2 is the best tennis game so far. too bad there isn't a version for 360 or ps3. i hope the new next-gen top spin, with analogic hit system, to be more similar to sct2 than virtua tennis unrealistic and arcade style.

I've always been a fan of the VT series. Especially on arcade and PSP.

Played it loads on the 360 and made it to number one- after much sweat and tears and lots of training. After a while it gets very samey though. To beat the best guys, all you do is slam the ball in the corners a few times until the get a chance for a power shot. Online, there were too many punks who could beat me, and I'm a good player!

Since then, I sold my Xbox. As far as I can see the PS3 version is near identical, except no online obviously.

I'm a bit fed up now of VT now, looking for something with a bit more depth, so hopeful for Topspin 3 nextgen, sounds very good.

what a crock of shit!

there is a serious bug in this game - i'm talking about the 360 version.

i just played my mate a 3-setter. during the first set, the server was at the bottom for every game, and i managed to break once while i was at the top and hold my serve at the bottom. i won the first set 6-4.

then in the second set MY MATE WAS AT THE BOTTOM FOR EVERY SINGLE GAME! he beat me 6-1, but i didn't complain because i thought it was gonna change me down to the bottom after 6 games, but no! on the 7th game, he was still at the bottom!

WTF!?!?!?!

the third set, was like the first, taking turns to be at the bottom.

can anyone shed some light on this? it's so unfair, especially considering how much easier it is being at the bottom of the screen...

this is driving me mad - it has COMPLETELY made a nonsense and a sham of the game. it's hardly worth playing with that kind of disadvantage happening...

There is a setting about server always at bottom, or player always at bottom. Have a look around mate, I think you might be able to sort it.

There is a setting about server always at bottom, or player always at bottom. Have a look around mate, I think you might be able to sort it.

this game is bullshit!

in a 2-player game, no matter WHERE i set the server to be, the game just places him wherever it wants! wtf is that about...

i can't believe the game was allowed to release like this. did the developers even playtest this piece of shit before they unleashed it on the public, cos it appears they most definitely didn't...

Isn't there a new Smash Court out soon? Lemme check ... Aye, 15th October in the US.

.. get smashcourt pro tournament tennis 2 for ps2 ;)

i loved anna kournikova tennis on the original ps1 - hammered it to death way back in the late 90s...

i played the latest version (ableit on the psp) and didn't really think it was up to much.

i might look into the ps2 version tho...

There is a smashcourt 3 on psp.. that actually looks amazing.. but yeah, ive heard there is a smashcourt3 also coming out for xbox360.. not other platforms it seems.. hmmm an exclusive.. dammit.. would get the ps3 for the game, as i only have ps2, and smash court 2 is amazing on this.. multiplayer magic when to an annoying vt3 (ive played it on ps3 and very unrealistic)...

...vt3 (ive played it on ps3 and very unrealistic)...

i don't think vt3 is supposed to be realistic - it's more of a pure arcade-pick-up-and-play type of game, but the pure randomness of where it places the server in a 2-player game is what is killing it for me.

this fact is compounded when you consider that it is so much easier when you are playing at the bottom of the screen and there is just no logic (that i can see) regarding where the cpu places the server after each game!

it is possible to play an entire set when you are at the top, even when you have the server set to be at the bottom! how the hell you're supposed to win that set when playing against an equally talented player is beyond me...

Does anyone else here have Virtua Tennis 3?

I think I should play it again, I've had some epic matches online! And me and CW played online Doubles a few times and had some belting matches :).

Back
Top Bottom