UK Internet Provider

I am

I did get 16Mb but since i have changed added phones and stuff its gone down to 11Mb

I need to sort it all out but im not that fussed really, oh and i have never had any problems at all with Sky BB

BTW to iPhone users i was getting some right shit speeds though WiFi at home (under 1MB mostly) and in the router settings changing the mode in "wireless settings" from G & B to G only has seen my speeds rise to 6MB so i would give it a go and see if it helps you :)

cheers coopz

i spent 41 minutes on the phone to them before. first off i had a leaflet saying upto 20mb broadband. i also saw the stall in town advertising sky with the 20mb broadband. when i questioned the guy if i could get it after giving him my details and chatting to him for 5 minutes, i was still non the wiser. Well i had a feeling that skys kit wasn't really in my local exchange

so i phoned them up, 41 friggin minutes on the phone it took me to get the answer i wanted

cut a long story short they cannot offer me the llu which most people have with sky. my 12mb connection i have now they estimated that i would get 3mb with them

Shame as £7.50 for unlimited is ideal, but to much of a risk for me in terms of potential speed loss

cheers

cut a long story short they cannot offer me the llu which most people have with sky. my 12mb connection i have now they estimated that i would get 3mb with them
In fairness, SKY estimated 2mb for our connection, but we're actually closer to 10mb. I think they just give you the absolute minimum that you can expect. After that, they mess around for a about 10 days increasing your speed until the line becomes too unstable.

can anyone on sky do a ping to jolt and tell me the results.

the ping i have with sky is shite. web browsing can be slow and gaming also laggy

C:\Users\Phil>ping jolt.co.uk

Pinging jolt.co.uk [84.234.17.86] with 32 bytes of da
Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=259ms TTL=121
Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=271ms TTL=121
Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=277ms TTL=121
Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=295ms TTL=121

Ping statistics for 84.234.17.86:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 259ms, Maximum = 295ms, Average = 275ms

Ping has started…

PING jolt.co.uk (84.234.17.86): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 84.234.17.86: icmp_seq=0 ttl=121 time=28.076 ms
64 bytes from 84.234.17.86: icmp_seq=1 ttl=121 time=31.152 ms
64 bytes from 84.234.17.86: icmp_seq=2 ttl=121 time=27.653 ms
64 bytes from 84.234.17.86: icmp_seq=3 ttl=121 time=30.826 ms

--- jolt.co.uk ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 27.653/29.427/31.152/1.574 ms

Just got Sky for the 2nd time, had about 6-7MB for the first day (which is about what they used to provide us) but since then (3-4 days) its been around 0.4mg! with 0.2 upload speeds, Should I hold out for the 10 days for it to be sorted or is that rubbish and I need to get them sorting it ASAP?

Just got Sky for the 2nd time, had about 6-7MB for the first day (which is about what they used to provide us) but since then (3-4 days) its been around 0.4mg! with 0.2 upload speeds, Should I hold out for the 10 days for it to be sorted or is that rubbish and I need to get them sorting it ASAP?

What package are you on with Sky? Is it unlimited or everyday light?

1172095982.png

Is that any good I'm supposed to have 30mb with this new super hub I got but my 360&PS3 seem slower?

thats very good....

although download and upload speed that fast doesn't always help gaming, especially when you are going through cable which is not great for latency

although your ping @ 35ms is/should be good enough but that is only to the speedtest server. it all depends on how good your isp is at routing and how busy it is that can affect gaming

make sure upnp is enabled on the router or check to open some ports for your ps3 and xbox see if that helps

thats very good....

although download and upload speed that fast doesn't always help gaming, especially when you are going through cable which is not great for latency

although your ping @ 35ms is/should be good enough but that is only to the speedtest server. it all depends on how good your isp is at routing and how busy it is that can affect gaming

make sure upnp is enabled on the router or check to open some ports for your ps3 and xbox see if that helps

Cheers Bitter.

I need a little more help. turns out this super hub and PS3 don't really like each other, someone on their forums suggested disabling ip flooding I think. Will this do any harm?

My was just was disconnecting all the time, Bit odd because it's been fine today. There were rumours that a patch was coming out for the problem so maybe it did.

Well looks like O2 have started to throttle my speeds, so i'm on the hunt for a new ISP. Currently paying £9.50 for upto 8mb (can only get 4mb max here) and unlim downloads. Would like a similar deal with the 4mb speeds I used to get....any recommendations?

Could be similar to that Tim, it was fine after a couple of days.

Well I think the most we can get in this area is about 4Mb/s, which would be fine. I did read that for the first week they will be doing tests etc to determine the best settings for us, so hopefully it'll be similar to your situation yes!

Did they give you a speed estimation before the activation date?

I got an e-mail from them saying that my Sky Broadband was on its way and on there it said my speeds would be 12.9Mbps and 19Mbps

Ooh thanks!

"We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 1.4Mbps and 4.0Mbps."

Back
Top Bottom